Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I thought the pizza was gone. It is now, there was a tiny piece left. I had the curried lentil soup I had made Monday night, and some cereal.Probably too much food/carbs. Now that i'm really motivated I can see its going to take a long time, and better planning.Ah well, at least i'm addressing it finally.
I made plans to have a few of my favorite elders over for dinner in a few weeks. That will compel me to clean up! And I'll be able to make a coffee cake I've been craving, and not have it sitting around the house.
I spoke to a colleague from another agency yesterday, and discovered that there may be an opportunity coming up next fall for a job I would love. This job is fine for now but I would ultimately like to work at a senior center. I'll just keep plugging along for now.
Penny- sorry about that bathroom discovery. At least you aren't living at the house while they're doing it!
Maryann- i hear you. On the days I make good choices, I expect some kind of result.
Karen-good choice on salad. I always feel virtuous when I eat that for dinner, especially when out.
Gardenerjoy-good decision for when to grocery shop.
Bill- thanks for the photo link. Little kids are such gigglers,they're so happy.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-20-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I weighed myself for the first time in a few weeks and was pleased with the number.

That's going to help because we're headed out for a day at MiL's. This likely means fast food twice. But, it also means no snacks. I did this several times when she was not doing well, so I know that I can make it work. It's not ideal, but, fortunately, it doesn't happen too often.

Exercise: +65, 815/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #108  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday's hike was great and food was on plan. This morning I did a 4 mile hike and I've walked Otis. Weight is down a bit and I'm feeling good. Today's plan is to try to find some replacement cushions for the chaise lounges. I am looking on line and I guess I'll go out and look at a couple of stores too. Personal's tomorrow.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #109  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was off plan and weight is back up all that was lost in the two weeks on plan.

The Metronomy concert was fantastic and it was good to see my 16yo having fun and out of his angsty teenager mood.

Joy, yay for a good surprise on the scale!

Bill, congrats on DGD reading to you this time. Our 16yo introduced us to the band. We could only interest 2/4 kids to go, and one of those kids declared he is never going to another concert again. he hates the concerts with no seating.

Curly, exciting to have a possible new job lead! and having company is such a great house cleaning motivator.

Karen, good luck with the cushion shopping!
Old 02-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #110  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - 1st American Indian newspaper in US, "Cherokee Phoenix", published (1828)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks. None. Makes me feel like I'm taking my food seriously when I avoid unplanned snacks.

Evening event was a lecture about cancer transmission in Tasmanian Devils. Would have thought that was outside of my interest range, but the speaker described how the research is helping to discover how cancer grows and mutates. In humans, cancer is NEVER contagious. In Tasmanian Devils, contact is the route of transmission. Mouth biting is standard in their culture and the cancer exists on their faces. So, I've now been in a room with a handful of people who've been to Tasmania. It's on my Bucket List, but it's a long way away. Made the world feel smaller.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for so carefully planning your trip to your MIL's. Seem like it could be a challenge when doing something so noble to think that off-plan food is warranted.

Karen (karenrn) - "Cushions for the chaise lounges" seems like such a summer thing, LOL. Glad that Otis is still getting his walks.

curlyjax - Neat plan to get to enjoy a coffee cake and not face eating the whole thing.

Penny. - Kudos for doing whatever it takes to get a 16yo out of his teenage mood. Ouch for scale jiggle; it happens.

Readers -
Quote:
day 43 Practice, Practice, Practice

reminders to think thin . . .

If you think ... I can't believe the scale has gone up! This is terrible! I'll never be able to lose weight.

Remind yourself ... My weight is supposed to go up sometimes. I should continue with the Beck Diet Solution program and wait two weeks before assuming there is a problem.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 267.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:09 AM   #111  

Forgive me Father for I have sinned- I went to the fabulous chocolate shop again It's such a temptation. I asked the shop guy how many calories there were in something and he said he didn't know. Or maybe he just didn't want to tell me. Ugh. I resolve to do better today. Dinner was sort of healthy but a bit too much starch.
yesterday DS took himself to his annual checkup. I figured out he could do it since he can drive, and I wouldn't have to take off work. I had nothing to ask, and just wanted to get it down before college. A new milestone!
Penny- glad your 16 year old had fun. I'm clearly struggling too!
Bill-wow, that is really interesting about the Tasmanian Devils!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

I am trying a new breakfast. I have had the same breakfast for months now without getting the results I want.

I watched my SIL earth this past weekend. She is a tremendous exerciser and very slim. She eats literally like a bird. Portions are the size of a deck of cards at most. When she served herself tortellini there were four on the plate. She is 8 years older than me so I better get use to downsizing my portions now. If I want what she has, I am going to have to change my eating behavior. That is the bottom line.

Glad it is Friday. Off to battle the copy machine.

Last edited by maryann; 02-21-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #113  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is down to the lower number I have seen in awhile. I really did try to concentrate more on serving sizes this week, but I also hiked a ton without adding many more calories. Even on the days I hiked 10 1/2 and 12 1/2 miles I only had about 400 calories more. I guess this is what I have to do to lose weight. Just like you said Maryann. I took Otis out early this morning and it's pretty windy, so I decided this is a housework day. I have a large area rug in the family room that I wanted to turn, which entailed moving the sectional off of it and then turning it. The furniture is heavy and the rug is heavy and I did vacuuming between the rug and the pad too. I'll wait for dh to come home for lunch to get the rug placed precisely and move the sectional back. I can get all the other floors vacuumed in the meantime.

Maryann I feel certain if I sent my accountability partners in PNP a photo of my food they would be surprised at the large portions. I will keep working on it too.
Curlyjax I'm just glad I don't go by a real bakery often. I fear it would be my undoing. I'm not crazy about chocolate, but I love cookies.
Bill Good job on not having any snacks.
Penny I bet some of the weight is just water. If you can get back on plan it'll be gone again. I found some cushions on line that I hope will be good enough. I didn't want to pay $400 each and that's what they were at the nearby patio furniture store.
Joy That's great that your weight was down.

Okay, time to get Otis out for a walk.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #114  

Good morning!

Still not on plan. I'm eating about 2k calories and it feels luxurious. If only I could maintain at that number.

I'm working on a painting that has been sketched out in the corner of the room for a while, and will need to buy some paint. I also have an ignored knitting project I should revisit. My hobbies are so sedentary.

Karen, $400 for one pillow?? I'm glad you found something cheaper. Credit for the weight loss!

Bill, yikes on the thought of contagious cancer. Excellent job avoiding snacks.

Culy, lol at confessing your sin. You are forgiven!

Maryann, deck of card sized portions, ugh. There is also the volumetrics diet that focusses on large portions of low cal food. Big bowls of vegetables get boring too though.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - International World Thinking Day (since 1926, Girl Guide/Scout Conference)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Survived trip to the supermarket buying only what was on my list, CREDIT moi. This issue is that a few items in the checkout line know my name, including a yummy dark chocolate bar. "It's just one bar. No one will know." My brain still hasn't gotten the memo that I'm a rational eater.

I let DW have the remaining homemade apple pie that got sent home with us from Wednesday's potluck. She insisted on splitting it; I insisted on having none. She thought I was just being gracious. But I resisted, CREDIT moi. It was a good pie. But I now know what goes into pie crust. Apple pie is a good choice for lunch is you're headed back into the fields for another six hours of labor.

maryann - Four tortellini is one serious serving restraint. Hope I can get there someday.

Karen (karenrn) - You're doing some heavy lifting there. Watch your back.

curlyjax - Yay that your DS can go for his own doctor's visit. You're moving along. LOL at your chocolate shop. Hope I never discover it.

Penny. - LOL at sedentary hobbies. Seems most hobbies I can think of are sedentary. Except bird watching - that takes some moving about.

Readers -
Quote:

If you think ... It's not fair that I can't eat normally and have what everyone else is eating.

Remind yourself ... I'm now eating normally for a person who has a goal to lose weight. It would be even more unfair if I let feeling of unfairness keep me from becoming thinner.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #116  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but water was not. Weight was up slightly today. Could have been the sodium, or who knows what. My plan is written for today. It's pouring rain and expected to be that way all day. First I'm heading off to my PNP meeting and then I'm going to do a little more housework later today and grocery shopping. This won't be a big exercise week since I'll be in Tucson for a couple of days helping my friend. I'm heading down there early tomorrow. I'm going to try to reduce the meat in our diets a bit, so this week I'll be making some soup and checking out recipes to do that. I'm listening to Dr. Michael Gregor's book, How Not to Diet. It is like a text book for the most part, but I am learning some things. He promotes some of the same things as Beck, but also focuses some on plant based.

Bill It sounds like you're being diligent and are motivated.
Penny I would like about 2000 calories too, but I'd have to hike around the clock.

Well, time to get ready to go. I hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #117  

Good morning!

Maintenance continues. I'll check back in a few days. Too many distractions here this morning.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Success with changing up my breakfast. The new breakfast added a serving of pumpkin (pumpkin oatmeal) to my day which set the stage for two more snack veggies plus I successful completed evening exercise. It all resulted in dropping within two pounds of ticker weight. Today, I have added another meal that is usually successful but which I have abandoned for the last six months. I also have a walked planned. Tonight will be sashimi and a concert that was my present to DH for Valentine's Day - John Michael Montgomery. He is a country western singer from the 80s. Unfortunately, I have dinners out both Sunday and Monday but I will cross those bridges when I come to them.

Karen: So glad you have your PNP group to attend. I wish I had a thriving group to attend. I can't do the WW meetings. I need different. I did put yr How Not To Diet book on hold.
BBE: Dark chocolate definitely calls me. My rationalization is I can eat a lot less of it than Sees. "Hmmmmm, she says suspiciously."
Penny: Yr sedentary hobbies really resonated with me. I know I make grand gestures with skiing and such but the truth is I can sit in front of Netflix for five hours when I come home from school. That is never going to work even though I feel emotionally exhausted. I need to go to the gym or walk nearly everyday in addition to my grand gestures.

Today, I am going to figure out the world of Podcasts. I can't seem to efficiently follow or research them on my iphone app.That will give me the incentive of moving rather than doing the Netflix thing.

Have a great day.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #119  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - W.E.B. DuBois, American sociologist who helped found N.A.A.C.P, born (1868)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Saw the Korean movie Parasite last night. It meets all its hype and then some. One original movie. Highly recommended. We had the pre-ordered seats in GIANT leather recliners, electrically operated in two directions, in a theatre holding about sixty seats. Popcorn was sold from a warmed case - the buckets already filled. We don't do theatre popcorn, but converting it into a commodity picked out of a case diminished the aura.

Invited DW out for dinner and theatre. Dinner was from the hot table at Whole Foods. Quite convenient, rapid, near the theatre, and required no cleanup. Both of us had a hard time keeping the meal to a sane size. I kept seeing things that I wanted to "try" - where try meant a half serving. Doesn't take many half servings to equal a whole.

maryann - Listening to John Michael Montgomery as I type. Relaxing music. You were more generous in your "dinner and theatre" than I was, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Moving toward plant based feels good, doesn't it? Good luck in Tucson helping your friend.

Penny. - "Maintenance" avoids the additive direction. Keep going.

Readers -
Quote:

If you think ... Now that I've lost weight, I can stop being so careful.

Remind yourself ... If I want to keep the weight off, I need to use the techniques I've learned for the rest of my life. If I don't continue to maintain my new mindset and eating behaviors, I'll invariably gain back weight.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #120  

I started yesterday with a massage, which was so great. I try to go every month or every other month.It's a luxury but it makes me feel so much better to have some kinks worked out. Exercise was hustling around cleaning bathrooms and vacuuming as I have a few folks coming over this morning. One of my friends is struggling with her mom's start of dementia, and I'm introducing her to my friend who used to help folks with this, for a living. I'm going to take notes myself for my job.
By some miracle I'm maintaining my 5 pound weight loss, considering that I haven't eaten well for the past two days.
Today DS is going to put together my manual treadmilll, I'm so excited!
Bill- yes, WF hot table is very tempting. The salad bar looks so pretty but I often bypass it for the heartier stuff.
Maryann- yes, i tend to listen to podcasts on my laptop instead of my phone, which isn't useful for exercise.
Penny- your hobbies sound great. I have no artsy skills. And you have something to show for it too when you're done.
Karen-I find lentil soups and chickpea soups are very filling and good, as an alternate source of protein. I have one that kind of tastes like peanut butter from the tahini, I can share it if you like.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-23-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Closed Thread