Beck Diet For Life/Solution February 2020 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 6 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #76  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning and Happy Valentine's Day coaches,

I did weigh yesterday and weight was slightly down, but then I ate sweets off plan yesterday and weight is up today. I have a realistic plan for the day which includes a dessert. I was really lazy yesterday and didn't even get any exercise. I sat listening to a book, which I could have done while hiking. The book was If You Tell and was a true crime by author Gregg Olsen. My friend Hiking Suzanne had listened to it and it took place in Washington state. It was hard to listen to what this horrible woman did. I kind of felt like I wanted to know what happened and just wanted to get through it. I did, but I've kind of decided I don't need that kind of thing again.

Curlyjax I can imagine your job is tiring. I'm sure not all the subjects you have to touch on are so easy.
Bill I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Dh had a short time of being healthy and now he's got a cold again. I just hope I don't get it cause I have a big hike on Monday.
CJZee I'm sorry about the never ending hip pain. I'm curious too; did you have an x-ray?
Penny I'd like to really get on a streak of on plan days and I bet you would too.
GardenerJoy I'm glad you didn't get too much snow.
Waving to Maryann.

karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #77  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was slightly overbudget and I did not weigh today.

I have a great excuse for not weighing, and that is that I had to run to the donut shop for lots of valentine themed donuts for my four little valentines. Of course, I already ate one myself, probably ensuring another overbudget day today.

Curly, I can't believe the mice hoarded lentils in your boot! Yikes!

Bill, yay for feeling better already. Credit for the healthier soup. Maybe hot sauce is the magic it needs. lol

CJZee, that leg pain does sound awful! Kudos for keeping up the weightloss fight.

Karen, it would be fantastic to have a longer streak of eating for weightloss. If only my calorie range didn't have to be so darn low. Well, that and if only I didn't use food to self soothe.
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #78  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today's challenge seems to be a lack of energy. That sometimes leads to an attempt to fuel up with food. If the task at hand was physical, that might be a good solution. But, since the task at hand is to make some hard decisions about how to spend my time, food isn't the required fuel.

What will help? A look at my feelings. Some treatment of congestion. Maybe a walk -- it's still cold but I haven't been out of the house since Tuesday.

Exercise: +45, 525/1200 minutes for February

karenrn: I can relate to being very selective about the books and other media that I'm willing to allow into my experience.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #79  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Susan B Anthony Day - born (1820, Rochester, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Felt good enough to make my trip to the supermarket. Waded through the aisles of Valentine's Day candies and baked goods. Mobs of men were buying red roses; many were nice; some were cute enough for high school kids to swap. The evening's entertainment was the new play about Gloria Steinem, Gloria A life. It was originally intended to be a one-woman production by Gloria Steinem, herself. It evolved into a play with a younger woman (Steinem in now 85) with six women playing dozens of roles interacting with her. Being reminded of the power of Bella Abzug just blew me away. Powerful times, those.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, even as I tried to con myself into an unnecessary snack. The first step for me getting back on track is to cut out snacks since I use them as a crutch to move on to the next task. (By using cough syrup, cough drops, and a water bottle, I made it through the two hour play without a single cough.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thought it was cold last night when we were out at 14 degrees F; it's 9 degrees F outside now. Ouch! I hate periods of not getting out of the house.

Karen (karenrn) - Smart to realize that some books aren't worth the pain they cause.

curlyjax - Waiting for a tradesman to arrive is just the pits - hope you survived. LOL at the line at the chocolate shop.

Penny. - How sweet to go buy donuts for your four folks. How predictable that you need to have one yourself. Donuts are like that. (DW has suggest cayenne to our bland affair with white turkey meat; decided to try different proteins instead.)

Readers -
Quote:
day 43 Practice, Practice, Practice

Remember that you'll hit rough patches from time to time. All dieters occasionally give in to cravings, forget to give themselves credit, or neglect to follow their food plan. All dieters occasionally question whether losing weight is worth the time and effort. Whenever you hit a rough patch, go back to this book. Flip through each day of the program, reread the passages you need, and start doing the relevant tasks again.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 266.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #80  

Good morning coaches,

Otis and I are in the guest bedroom this morning because dh has such a cough and cold. He barely got over the last one and now this one. I should have headed to this bedroom a couple of days ago and I only hope I escape the bug. This morning I'm hiking with Hiking Suzanne. I'll miss my regular Saturday meeting because it is Suzanne's birthday. I'm going on a 10 1/2 mile hike in the Preserve tomorrow with a Preserve meet-up group. I only hiked with them once before and it was too slow. This one is slated as a fitness hike, and with 10 1/2 miles to do they won't be able to go slow. Yesterday was on plan and weight is down a bit. I didn't make the apple crisp, but put it back on the plan for today.

Bill I'm glad you're feeling better. It is so cold back there. I wouldn't have enough clothes anymore.
GardenerJoy Yes, I think I'm going to have to be more careful about what I choose to read or listen to.
Penny I hear you about needing to keep calories lower. I'm thinking I need to increase my veggies to increase volume without so many calories.

Waving to Curlyjax, Maryann, and CJZee.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I got a lot done while the furnace guy did his thing. The most important was making a call and discovering various medical bills were covered and I could throw them out. My non profit agency doesn't have many perks, but they do pay the 6,000 family deductible which is awesome, since we have racked up quite a few bills.
I planned for having chocolate last night and truly enjoyed it. Now it is gone and back to business. I'm so happy to have a 3 day weekend!!
Karen- Great idea to sleep separately when DH has a cold. I would do that too- especially since he would snore horribly with a cold and I couldn't get any sleep anyhow I know what you mean about avoiding certain books.
Penny-I'm not weighing myself for a day or two either, I know it will be up. I'm a big one for food soothing too.
Gardenerjoy- a walk can indeed perk up one's energy, especially in the cold.
Bill-That play sounds great.Glad you're starting to feel better.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-15-2020 at 10:29 AM.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #82  

Good morning!

Yesterday turned into a full day of eating and went off the rails with homemade pizza.

Today is a new day.

Gardenerjoy, I hope your energy is back today. I hate that feeling.

Bill, the play sounds great! Credit for avoiding the snacks.

Curly, yay for covered medical bills!

Karen, happy birthday to Hiking Suzanne! Have a good hike today.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-15-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #83  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday didn't go well. I think what happened was that the only thing that felt really good was eating. So, I went back for seconds three times during the day -- one more serving of the thing that I just ate and enjoyed.

I recognize this. It's an allergy season pitfall. Before it got cold, our cedars were pollinating. Then it got cold and the central heat dried out the house and my sinuses. Not a good combo.

The good news is that this is early in the season for me to detect that pattern. I'm not quite sure what to do about it, but I suspect that awareness is half the battle. Probably the solution is along the lines of giving myself permission to take on the most fun task in my day after I eat so that I don't think about going back for seconds.

Today's challenge is a potluck. My usual strategy is to focus on the veggies, so that's the plan. I'm bringing pumpkin bread pudding which doesn't really help with my plan but it's the best that I could come up with given the food in the house. For a dessert, it's low in fat, fairly low in sugar, and remarkably high in whole grains (with a boost of beta carotene from the pumpkin). Still, it's a carb and I want to be very careful of the serving size.

Exercise: +40, 565/1200 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: A play about Gloria Steinem seems a great way to celebrate Susan B. Anthony's birthday. I'm glad that you're on the road to recovery!
Old 02-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Howard Carter opens Pharaoh Tutankhamun's tomb; finds the sarcophagus (1923)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - As I was taking my last swig from the old bottle, DW bought two new bottles of CVS brand Tussin DM cough syrup on a Buy-One-Get-One-Half-Off sale. Good deal, yes? Well, not exactly. The new plastic measuring cup that fits over the top seemed different. I read the label. The active ingredients were the same, except it read "Active ingredients (in each 20ml):" instead of the old "in each 10 ml". Of course, the new dosage was 20 ml instead of 10 ml. I couldn't believe it. They simply diluted their cough syrup by half! Sleazy, sleazy, sleazy. If you can't trust Big Pharma, who can you trust?

Happiness was a downward dip in the scale jiggle when I weighed myself this morning. I do love when the jiggle goes my direction. There might have been a contribution from my week of a cold. I must have coughed out a pound or so of my innards. Speaking of King Tut, some 150 articles from his tomb are coming to Boston during their world tour. Apparently, after this tour, they're headed back to Egypt, "Permanently." Better catch them when they come to a city near you.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Now I'm drooling for pumpkin pudding. Yep, serving size is the only savior.

Karen (karenrn) - Smart to try to avoid your DH's cold. Just imagine trying to do that cooped up on the Diamond Princess cruise ship with thousands of others.

curlyjax - Yay for medical bill news that's in your favor.

Penny. - Homemade pizza would lead me off the rails, also. Hope you added lots of veggie toppings.

Readers -
Quote:

Also recognize that rough patches are TEMPORARY. You'll soon be glad that you persevered, especially as you're getting compliments, fitting into clothes you couldn't fit in before, and seeing the number on the scale go down. I promise you that even if it doesn't feel worth it at any given moment, it will soon!

Old 02-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #85  

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in this morning. I was on plan as far as what I ate yesterday, but I did have a portion of apple crisp that was too large. I'm hoping I"ll hike it off today. I'll make a realistic plan today and there is no more apple crisp. It was a small batch and once we each had a good portion the remainder went down the garbage disposal. It looks like besides Kathy (y backpacking buddy) and I the group is men today. We've done much more strenuous hikes than what I think today is, the problem will be the length of their legs. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #86  

I went out to hear some music when a friend last night and it was really fun. I thought I ordered a hard cider but it turned out to be a hard selzer with only 100 calories so that's all good. I had shepherd's pie and brought some home. My friend had a knee replacement when i had a hip replacement, so after awhile we both stood and swayed a bit but that was it, no dancing.
It was kind of a dive bar with a lot of locals, but the band and the audience were mostly grey haired, bald, a little pudgy etc so that was very nice to be among my fellow middle-aged folks!
Earlier in the day yesterday I ate something that didn't agree with me, so i'm feeling less tempted by sweets today
Today is doing more stuff like bills, probably groceries, etc. I woke up too early so a nap is in order too.
Penny-that homemade pizza sounds good, i can totally see over indulging. I keep meaning to try a cauliflower crust one.
Gardenerjoy-hope the potluck went well. nice thing to do in the winter.
Bill- thanks for the info about King Tut, I definitely want to see it. I registered for the ticket lottery.
Karen-men do have longer strides. I always felt like a dachshound (sp) hustling to keep up with my giraffe of a husband who was 6' 4".

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-16-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #87  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday went much better. I ate very lightly and was never very hungry -- I suppose from the day before. Today will be more of a normal day when I'm going to want to help myself find things other than food to delight myself.

I'm half-way to my exercise goal! But, it's a short month, so I'll want to keep on top of it.

Exercise: +40, 605/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #88  

Good morning!

Yesterday was another eat fest and weight is up.

I'm going to claw my way back today.

Bill, kudos for the weightloss!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - President's Day (Since 1968)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Set a new record: stayed in bed for eight hours last night! That's long for me. I've evolved into a four to six hours of sleep person. Maybe I'll leap tall buildings today. Historically on President's Day, we put our trash out on the curb. Historically, the city honors the holiday and our trash sits out there until tomorrow. We do this every single year. Now it's a tradition; too late to change.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. I had a noon snack at a community hour while chatting with folks. Chatting seems to call for something in the hand. I finished scanning all the documents that need to be sent to the lawyer for our new wills. I feel like a grownup.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the reminder, "help myself find things other than food to delight myself."

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for putting unwanted apple crisp down the garbage disposal. Powerful step.

curlyjax - Sounds like a fun bar. Yep, you deserve a nap.

Penny. - Looking at your Avatar while reading, "going to claw my way back today." Seems to fit.

Readers -
Quote:

The next two chapters are just as important as the ones you've just finished. You'll learn how to determine a comfortable weight that you can successfully maintain for a very long time and what you need to do to make sure you can sustain that weight. Once you finish these chapters, you can feel confident that you now think and behave like a thin person - and will continue to do so for the rest of your life.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #90  

I ended up skipping church again to have coffee with my widow buddy, which turned into a quick lunch at Whole Foods. I made a nice minestrone last night and had way too much bread with it. It's a challenge to make sure my tall DS is getting enough food, without me overdoing it on bread, or his snacks. I need to do my groceries today and will plan for some healthier meals. I can give DS spicy sausage to complement something lighter, since I don't eat spicy.
I have a bunch of other things I should do so not sure i will get to things like making healthy bread, we'll see. And I need to get some exercise in, I let myself skip the bike over the weekend. Onwards!
Bill-good to catch up on your sleep, your body probably needed it after your cold. I don't function well unless I get at least 7, but they say as you get older you need less.At least I think I've heard that!