Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #61  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Banjo class was overwhelming and I wonder if I was just in a mood. Adults coming in late, then picking their banjos throughout the entire class over the teacher trying to talk really grinds my nerves. Yes, I think I was just in a mood.

Today I take the big boys to take the reading and writing portion of the college placement testing. The 16yo is not happy about any of it. :\

Maryann, does that mean you were locked out for two days? Did you have to get a hotel?

Bill, yay for another good class! Boo for the cold. I am still coughing four weeks later, so I hope your cold is a quicker one.

Karen, maybe your muscles just need a rest day or two. Personally, whenever I start thinking about not weighing daily, it's a path toward the dark side, as Yoda would say. But everyone is different.

Curly, mmmm Hershey Hugs were always my favs. Bad bad bad lol! I'm glad you had a nice night out with friends.

Joy, hoping for the best for your DH's appointment. You remind me I need to break out my painting again.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Karen: I was just locked out for the day but then that groups of friends knew I was in town and the dinner invites came pouring in. Not that I don't appreciate the offers, it is just that it was tough on the calorie patrol. But I am proud how well I adjusted. Don't apologize for expecting students to be respectful. Adults are the WORST! Oh, I'm sorry, ADULT TEACHERS are the worst. I hate sitting in inservices with them.

Tracked my food. I was trying to make up a point deficit but just broke even. I can exercise tomorrow and catch up instead. Today was way too busy with a staff meeting (eye roll) and making tests for the kids.

Have a good evening, all.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - The last Qing Emperor of China, Puyi abdicates (1912)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The sneezing continued; I bailed out of two classes that I really wanted to attend. I spent the day like an invalid - accomplishing little.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, since I didn't want to do anything. DW delivered dinner to me in my office; I suppose to prevent me from contaminating the kitchen.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good luck with your DH's high PSA test; I was aghast to learn how many serious, data-backed, professional opinions exist on what to do next.

maryann - Ouch that loving friends means more calories.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the thought of your desert blooming. It's on my Bucket List to learn to play MahJongg.

curlyjax - My prejudice is that, even with its oil and salt, a Vietnamese restaurant is a healthy choice.

Penny. - If memory serves me right, a 16yo is unhappy about most things related to non-16yos. I hear you about adults who don't seem to feel the need to follow accepted social norms.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41 Make a New To-Do list

what are you thinking?
Here are some sabotaging thoughts you might have. Use them to create your own Response Cards. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I know what I'm supposed to do. I don't need to keep filling out the to-do list.
Helpful Response: What's the big deal? Better safe than sorry. I may as well assume I do need the list to motivate me and remind me what to do.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 263.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

scale is back up. I ate healthy things for dinner but didn't keep track and I think I overdid it. Reminder to self that I can snack if I'm really hungry after dinner, but not to snack ahead of time in anticipation of hunger.
Kind of a boring week. I brought a little work home so I feel entitled to be a little late today. I visited with two elderly women who have been friends for 20 years, and they were just adorable with each other, interrupting each other like an old married couple. It really made me smile.
Gardenerjoy- good luck with DH's appt.
Penny- that class does sound irritating, people need to be quiet when others are trying to learn!

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-12-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #65  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight remains the same. I had intended to increase my water by a liter, but didn't get that done. I did drink 2 liters which I figured was enough. Portions are most likely still larger than they should be. I will keep working on it. It rained a lot during the day yesterday but is clear again today. I'll hike Bell Pass this morning.

Curlyjax Seems like we have to be pretty careful to get the scale to go down.
Bill Take care of yourself and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Penny I got on the scale. I figured since I'm writing a plan each day it might not matter, but didn't want to take the chance. I would have been annoyed by those not paying attention in class too.
GardenerJoy I hope dh's appointment goes fine and a plan is made for whatever needs to happen. My dh had a robotic assisted prostatectomy probably 8 years ago or so. He was in his mid 50's and just wanted it out, so that's what he chose. He has been fine since.
Maryann Glad you were only locked out of your cabin for the day.

Have a good day all of you!
Old 02-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

I got up early to get to school early. It is a busy week because I am taking off next Tuesday. I have to get progress reports in before that.

I plan to stationary bike today and keep up with lots of water.

Wish I was hiking Karen’s Bell Pass but I am glad I am not sneezing in BBE’s office.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

We learned from the urologist that male sexual activity naturally increases PSA for up to a week. The young doctor was surprised that we had no certain memory about such activity before the previous PSA test on January 2, since surely the new year celebration would have been memorable. He was equally surprised that if the test requires a week's abstinence, then DH couldn't go right downstairs to repeat the test. Sheesh. Anyway, I'm much less worried about the whole thing, predicting that the repeat test will be normal since the doctor's examination detected nothing of concern.

PSA makes sperm stronger swimmers. The prostate emits many other substances for that and other purposes, but PSA is the one that can be detected in the blood. I'm appalled at how being denied a comprehensive sex education has left me ignorant about so many things that are really interesting and that impact our health.

Today's challenge is a rainy day followed by an accumulating snow overnight followed by a very cold day. We may feel obligated to plow tomorrow, in spite of the cold. Good thing we have warm outdoor gear and that we've been walking this winter to be a little acclimated. So, I'm going to choose to not fret over it and encourage DH to take the same attitude.

Exercise: +40, 435/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #68  

Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget with salty chips and a drink, and weight is up.

My 16yo ended up having a full on anxiety attack meltdown before going for the second placement test, but I managed to work through it and get the job done. The whole ordeal kept my mind racing until after 2:30am. I know those 16yo hormones are making him feel the insecurities 100x. He has an appointment with an advisor today and I really hope we can get out of the house without too much of an ordeal.

Bill, yup that does sound like the yucky cold I had. I took the entire week off of 3FC too.

Curly, are you sure they aren't a couple? I usually ask just for clarification and one gentleman said "we're friends without benefits" so, sometimes I'm wrong. lol

Maryann, it sounds like all the social eating was worth it. What great friends you have!

Karen, the green desert hike sounds so wonderful. Have a great hike today!

Joy, fingers crossed the repeat labs are normal. I didn't know that ejaculation can effect the test either. Good to know.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Jesse James holds up his first bank for $15,000 (1866, Liberty, Missouri)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I'm doing better. I did, however, give up my day with the (4yo) DGD. DW went alone. Maybe I was contagious. Maybe not. However, if I'd gone, every cold in her family for the next month would be assumed to come from me.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Felt like an improvement to eat dinner in the kitchen. DW did, however, make the green salad (normally my job) to prevent me from touching anything destined for her mouth. I have increased my water intake considerably. Perhaps useful.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the PSA education bit. Maybe, in your spare time, you could do sex education classes to high school and middle school kids. They think they know it all.

maryann - Today is, apparently, water drinking day, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - So neat that you headed out into the desert the day after a rain.

curlyjax - Perfect, "not to snack ahead of time in anticipation of hunger."

Penny. - Super Kudos to you and your 16yo for plowing through what had to be done.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41 Make a New To-Do list
Once I create a consistent
routine of using my weight-loss skills,
dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 264.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #70  

My shoulders ached last night, so I’m waiting an extra day before resuming my at home weights. I used 5 pounds instead of 3, so aching is a natural result. I’m going to be careful, I sure don’t want any shoulder problems.
I was pretty careful yesterday but did eat a little cereal when I was hungry. I’m probably eating too many carbs still.
OMG- I just got my boots from the basement, and a stash of dried lentils fell out. I guess the mice in the house have been storing up food!
Penny- I would doubt they are a couple, they live separately and one was married before. One reason they interrupt each other is they are both quite hard of hearing I hope to have good friends like that when i’m 84 and 90.
Gardnerjoy- your young doc’s comments did make me smile a bit!

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-13-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #71  
Green Tomatoes

Our "accumulation" might generously be called a dusting. So, we get to stay inside and warm on the coldest day of the winter.

The challenge will be to not let a trip to the kitchen feel like an outing. If I want an outing, I've got books to read and videos to watch. Or, I could bundle up for a short walk.

Exercise: +50, 485/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #72  

Good morning!

Yesterday was off plan again and weight is up again.

Today should not involve anything too stressful and if it does, I need to use Joy's mantra that it won't be solved by extra food.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Things are going along pretty well. Weight loss is slow, but still going down bit by bit. I have just signed up for an intermittent fasting app called Zero which I hope will keep me on track with my goal to have an eating window for less than 8 hours per day.

The never-ending saga of the pain-in-the-hip continues. I am now going to physical therapy 2x week, plus gym trainer 2x week, and a deep tissue massage on my leg /hip today. I hope my leg/hip appreciate how much money I am spending on her, haha.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #74  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Feast of Lupercalia, the Roman God of Fertility (since ancient Rome)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It's a step forward to be coughing less. Celebrating the little movements forward. My achievement of the day was to drive to the propane filling place so that DW now has the grill on our deck working again.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. DW made one of our favorite recipes with ground white turkey meat instead of ground beef. Meh! We won't do that again. I felt like we were satisfying our nutritional needs while ignoring enjoyment. I spent my day reading about the folks trapped on the four cruise ships waiting for new cases of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) to emerge. Seems like it's bound to happen. I shudder at the thought of being so trapped. Just to remind you why COVID sounds so familiar, Corvids include crows. Almost the same word.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at "a trip to the kitchen feel like an outing" - the stomach will use any tool.

curlyjax - LOL at your mice storing up lentils for the winter. Kudos for thinking carefully about your weights.

Penny. - Yep, it won't be solved by food.

CJZee - Kudos for continuing to work your leg/hip issue. Look forward to hearing how the app, Zero, helps.

Readers -
Quote:
day 43 Practice, Practice, Practice

Congratulations! You've learned the Cognitive Therapy skills you need to think like a thin person. The longer you use these new thinking skills, the more automatic they'll become. Dieting will continue to get easier and easier. Do you remember the difference in thinking between naturally thin people and people who struggle with dieting? You thinking has fundamentally changed in the past six weeks. If you ever find yourself slipping back to your old way of thinking, review "Reminders to Think Thin" on the facing page.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 266.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #75  

I was exhausted yesterday, not sleeping well and also feeling a bit drained from work. As an introvert, its a challenge to be talking to people all day, especially those with problems, except for when I write my notes. I'm glad i'm busier but whew, it does wear me out.
Yesterday I went to a chocolate shop at lunch time to get a small amount for today, and boy was there a line. I did let myself eat some, and then got carried away last night. I am planning to savor 6 pieces tonight, and then it will be gone (except for the kids stuff).I did plan to treat myself for Valentine's day with that, and some a beef shwarma (sp) wrap, which does have a lot of veggies in it.
Today i get to go in a little late as i'm waiting for furnace guys to do some maintenance. I better remember to go in afterwards!
Bill-glad you're feeling better. Being stuck on those cruise ships does sound awful.
CJZee-I forgot, did you ever get your hip xray? That sounds a lot like what i went thru last year before discovering it was arthritis.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-14-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Closed Thread