Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Manfriend did serve dessert after all- I think he bought it since I brought the dinner over. We both agreed the cake wasn't worth the calories, although the ice cream was great. We had salmon, asparagus and a frozen quinoa bean thing, so the rest was pretty low cal anyhow. And I tried a glass of a beer that I actually liked-maybe an IPA? I have never liked beer but this was less bitter or something.
I have a wierd rash on the sides of my, um, chest, plus a different looking rash elsewhere. Sometimes the cold,dry air can do that: I'm just praying it isn't bedbugs or something like that. Some apts I visit are pretty dirty and you wonder where the furniture came from, if its secondhand you never know.
Today is church which is focused on annual pledge including a light lunch. Not the most spiritual of topics but it will be nice to see folks.
Bill- good point about the passwords. My dad wrote his up for my brother and I, which I put.....somewhere.
Penny- yay for energy returning. It always feels good to purge.
Maryann- its a huge help to not have others around for a few days. Yay for another pound down.
Gardenerjoy-I never understand how adults can be so picky, there are so many good foods out there!

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-09-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #47  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We get a rainy day, here. I'm going to embrace that with relaxed and cozy indoor activities. We could be getting much worse precipitation in February, so I'll be happy with rain. I may need to run out for some groceries. If so, I'll aim for right after lunch which is a low-temptation time and the time when the chance of rain is at its lowest today.

Exercise: +30, 275/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 154

Height: 5'6

A spontaneous trip up to Tahoe. I skied for a couple of hours and then had dinner with some friends up here. The boys were at basketball games. Today it is cross country skiing at a new place. The friends are extremely health conscious so I have tracked everything. So nice to get fit points for things I love to do.

I must get some school work in but that is doable.

BBE: what a journey! My mother has gone through it with me. DS knows our passwords to everything because we use the same ones over again.

Happy Sunday.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #49  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down another bit.

It was a productive day with the goodwill run, cleared a lot of kitchen cupboard surplus, baked bread, made a big batch of hummus, and got the older kids to finally take their math placement tests for the community college.

They are hopefully going to be taking their first college classes this spring. They are 16 and almost 19, but seem to always hit the same milestones together, so it should be nice for them to go together if they can.

Bill, thanks for the reminder about all the little things that need tending to after death. I'm glad 3FC made the list.

Curly, that dinner sounds delicious!

Maryann, skiing is such good exercise. Have a nice day out on the snow!

Joy, rain, rain, rain is our life over here in Oregon. Enjoy your cozy day.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #50  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but I did have the burger for dinner with cole slaw. And my weight was down . . . who knows exactly how and why the body works the way it does. Today my friend and I did a 10 1/2 mile hike with some good elevation gain. We were both very surprised to have the temp 28 when we got to the trailhead. Neither of us had a lot of clothes, but luckily it headed out uphill and we warmed up quickly. I did put some peanut butter on my waffle for breakfast, but other than that I didn't eat anything extra. I'm curious to see what tomorrow's weight will be. I am having a higher calorie dinner, tortellini with prosciutto and peas that has a rich sauce, but I plan to keep my serving very reasonable. Dh just loves this and it isn't something we have often. I thought I might get home from the hiker later and it is quick to fix.

Penny You had a very productive day indeed and then weight down, great.
Maryann Sounds like a very fun weekend. Very fun exercise and health conscious friends are really a bonus.
GardenerJoy We are getting ready for some rain too. I hope we really get it because we do need it. I have a gym day planned for tomorrow.
Curlyjax I'm sure your work does take you into places that are a bit questionable. I hope your rash is just dry skin. I love IPA beer.
Bill You opened my eyes to other things we need to discuss and write down for each other. Thank you for that. The quote of the day is exactly what I am doing and expect to do for the rest of my life pretty much. I don't log my food into My Fitness Pal anymore and I don't know how many calories I am eating, but I know what I am eating or if I made any changes. I think it helps me at least.

I'm running my car into the repair shop as soon as dh finishes watching the golf tourney. I'm dropping it off to have the window regulator replaced. The back door window won't stay all the way up. Lucky for me my friend will pick me up to go to the gym tomorrow and hopefully the car will be finished by afternoon.

Sounds like everyone is having a pretty good weekend.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:26 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday- Edmond Halley appointed as 2nd Astronomer Royal (1720, Greenwich Observatory)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Am I not a man of intelligence and ambition? Why YES! To wit: I reset the date on my wrist watch all by myself. Don't know why, but my watch suddenly lost 10 years and 4 days. The hours, minutes, and seconds remained accurate. I spent a month ignoring this. However, that meant the day of the week was 4 days off and I had to count backward in my head. And I had to remember whether to count backward or forward. So it's done. It's a waterproof Casio that's embarrassingly inexpensive. My take has been that I'll never lose a cheap watch and I haven't. Never have. My other assumption is that I'd quickly lose a Rolex Submariner ($13,995). None of my friends would think it cool; they'd all ask, "Why would you pay that much for a watch?"

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner wasn't on the grill because our tank of propane ran out. Now it's on my list to get it refilled at my favorite propane tank filling place. I recall discussing on this forum that it was low and I had to attend to it. Well, it just reminded us, "I am done. Kaput." A first world problem to be sure.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - We're also getting rain (making gardener DW happy). And also grateful that it's not what needs to be shoveled. Neat to plan an errand for "low-temptation time."

maryann - Neat to have health conscious friends to help stay the path.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL in full agreement, "who knows exactly how and why the body works the way it does?"

curlyjax - Yep, the annual pledge discussion doesn't meet my criteria for "most spiritual of topics" either.

Penny. - Think it's neat that you refer to your kids' milestones - rather than just ages. Kids do have their own timelines.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41 Make a New To-Do list

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet): . . .

Read your Response Cards. You've been reading some of your cards for almost six weeks. These responses are probably firmly in your mind. You can experiment with reading them on an as-needed basis. The moment you start to struggle, though, start reading them daily. DON'T GIVE YOURSELF A CHOICE AT THIS.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 262.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #52  

Good morning coaches,

Dinner was on plan with the smaller portion and weight was down this morning. I'm heading to the gym shortly with a friend and if she weren't going I think I would just take a day off. I'll make it though and don't really have to do much besides that unless I decide to do some housework.

More tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #53  

Quick wave from work I'm down five pounds, yay! it took 3 weeks. My new plan seems to be working of health lunch, tea, watching the desserts etc. yesterday i h ad a small brownie during the lunch but waved away the sheet cake. tonight i'm going out for dinner with some friends at a Vietnamese place, which should be lower cal than some places.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #54  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't make it to the grocery store yesterday. Today, I'll go just before lunch which isn't the safest time. But, I'll plan to get a salad bar to bring home for my lunch -- that's enough to feel like I got something for myself and lead me away from other temptations.

Exercise: +65, 340/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #55  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down again. I still have five pounds to lose to get back to my low.

Karen, credit for the weightloss and the long hike.

Bill, yay for resetting your watch. There is nothing you can't accomplish now!

Curly, kudos for the five pounds weightloss. Mmmm I havn't had pho in so long, that's what I'd get.

Joy, good plan for the store. Enjoy your reward salad!
Old 02-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 154

Height: 5'6

Hey, neat to think so many of us are having a downturn on the scale. It is not an accident.

My simple meals idea went out the window when I locked myself out of the cabin. I have been fed meals now for two days. Back home and another dinner planned with friends. Good news is lots of exercise and I tracked everything. I really have to watch what I eat for the rest of the week because I have used all my cushion points.

I can do it.

Off to meet another buddy and we are seeing a trunk show for a jewelry line I love called Uno de Fifty.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-10-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #57  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Society of Friends petitions Congress for abolition of slavery (1790)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My first class of the semester covered the spread of Buddhism. It surprised me that it arrived in Tibet later than many places and arrived in Taiwan even later than that in the late twentieth century. My little mind always assumes that the world is constant. The class has folks that have traveled to many Buddhist countries; discussion should be good.

I didn't over eat at my evening event, CREDIT moi, despite spending two hours sitting around a bowl of trail mix with good dark chocolate chunks in it. Taking credit even though the major reason was that I was sniffling and coughing non-stop. Don't think it the Coronavirus; but wish it would go away.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a salad bar as a barrier to other temptations.

maryann - We even have an UNOde50 store in Boston - in a part of town that's not on my normal shopping tour. Ouch for getting locked out of your cabin.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat to do the smaller portion route.

curlyjax - Most sheet cake should have been left at the sheet factory - just not exceptional cake.

Penny. - Congrats on another weight down day.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41 Make a New To-Do list

what are you thinking?
Here are some sabotaging thoughts you might have. Use them to create your own Response Cards. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: It's too much trouble to keep doing all these things.
Helpful Response: Losing weight is very important to me. It does take effort to do these things, but the payoff is tremendous.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 263.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #58  

Good morning coaches,

Portions were smaller yesterday and weight was up today. I have to say a day like today makes me again consider weighing just once a week. I am so used to being an almost daily weigher that I don't know if I can do it though. I'm taking the day off of exercise today and will do housework this morning and play MahJongg this afternoon. It's been raining overnight so that is great. The desert will soon be blooming.

Bill I hope your cough and sniffles go away soon. That would keep a person out of the trail mix for sure, so I guess that part is good.
Maryann Oh no, being locked out of your cabin had to be very frustrating. I hope my weight heads back down soon. I do feel like I'm working hard at it.
Penny Good job with weight heading in the right direction.
GardenerJoy Whole Foods has such a nice salad bar. That would get me grocery shopping for sure.
Curlyjax Five pounds down is great. I hope you've found the perfect plan.

Have a great Tuesday.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #59  

Not such a good eating day yesterday. I ate a few chocolate kisses at work- and then kept going. Usually there aren’t any temptations but there was candy in a bowl right around when i had my lunch and tea. Oh well, onwards. And I had sizzling mandarin beef at the Vietnamese restaurant, which had a lot of oil and salt. Back to regular eating today.
It was really nice to be out with folks from church on a Monday night. Manfriend was there too. He is such a good friend, I should really drop the “benefits” part because then I get jealous and emotional. But I like the benefits An ongoing dilemma.
Tonight’s dinner is a big salad with chicken which should help get me back on track.
Karen- I think about weighing once a week too, since the fluctuations or lack of progress can indeed be discouraging.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-11-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is multiple stressors. DH has an appointment with a urologist to follow up a high PSA test. Then, we have a drain cleaner coming in to handle the clogged upstairs sink -- we tried to do it on our own yesterday, but failed.

Food will help none of these things. Some things that will help -- doodling while watching artist videos, using some of my tools for assessing my emotions, and exercise. Also, under-reacting to DH's emotions. He needs hugs and "It will be okay" and "We'll work through this together." That's about the extent of responses from me that will be helpful.

Exercise: +55, 395/1200 minutes for February
Closed Thread