Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

Karen: I have never heard of the neuroma ( in fact it was problematic to spell it.) Good thing to check out, though. I took a half day today. I didn't sleep well a couple of days ago and I feel I am playing catch up.
Curleyjax: I am completely natural and just got complimented on it. But I think that if I was single, I might have stayed on the color train.
Penny: I just did a nice workout and like you was rewarded with a little jump on the scale. But I am still pushing forward.
BBE: Splitting a meal is a great strategy. I rarely get DH to agree.

Yesterday was OP but lacking in veggies. I am aiming for five a day. I will bike today or walk depending on the weather.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The impending snow doom didn't happen. We got sleet for an hour or so during the day and a dusting of snow over night. I haven't been out to check the state of the driveway -- I'm hoping it's crunchy and not slick but I can't tell by looking out the window.

Today, I'll play with my great-nephew and great-niece while their mom and dad go to an ultrasound for baby #3. Should be fun. It won't be particularly challenging to my food plan since it's in the middle of the afternoon, although I will get home hungry since I'll be out of the house for my usual snack time. I've written down the snack that I'll eat when I get home and I'm looking forward to it.

If the driveway is too slick, my nephew will pick me up at the end of the road for my adventure today.

Exercise: +35, 180/1200 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: Our farmers market has a booth that sells native Missouri plants for several weeks during the spring. That makes it easier to find native plants than non-native ones for people who are casually shopping for their garden. And, of course, it's a great resource for people who are serious about it.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:08 AM   #33  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Henry Clay declares in Senate "I had rather be right than president" (1839)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Found an excuse to go to the library. What else? Found myself dawdling in the kids' book section. Where else? Got two more books for the DGD. Chuckled with my DW about which one of us should read which book since we have different styles of humor. Being the source of books for the DGD keeps me busy. Happy busy.

Evening event was a small-audience lecture at a nearby library about how to: Get All Your Critical Documents in One Place by a professional organizer. [Warning: Secret revealed] You collect them and put them there. And when you use one, you put it back.[/Warning] That's all there is too it. Since we're in the gather-all-info-in-one-place mode for an update to our will packages, we're in the mood to be told to do this. Her suggested style was to use a large D-ring binder loaded with plastic pockets for papers (that, themselves, don't have to be punched) and kid's notebook pencil holders for items like passports, safe deposit keys. And an emergency $100 in cash for when you're at home and need cash RIGHT NOW or when you've run out the door in an emergency and the only thing you've taken with you is your D-ring Critical Document binder. And ALL your passwords and web addresses and usernames are on a list in there. For organized folks, it would have been redundant. For me, it was a useful nudge. I'll take a CREDIT moi for Beck's Day 7: Arrange your environment.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a day playing Great Aunt - nothing could be better. Neat that your farmers market sells native plants. At least folks will get used to the idea that such a distinction exists; then they can consider acting.

maryann - It's so easy to fall behind in the veggie consumption. I'm grateful that DW served Kale last night since Vitamin C from leafy green veggies is about our only prophylactic for the Coronavirus.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for that tinnitus noise. I've not had it, but share your feeling that seeing an ear doctor right away is a good idea.

curlyjax - Kudos for thinking about your hairstyle. Yep, you're worth that effort.

Penny. - LOL at "if we all moved like a four year old, maybe none of us would need 3FC." Yep! Maybe you can take up a second job, in your spare time, delivering firewood.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41 Make a New To-Do list

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet): . . .

Plan and monitor what you eat. Ideally, if you keep up one practice from this program for the rest of your life, this would be it. But if you find this task too burdensome, you can experiment with planning and monitoring in your head rather than writing down your food plan. Try it for a couple of days. If you do well, continue. But the moment you hit a rough patch - whenever you find yourself eating too much - start writing down what you plan to eat and monitor in writing what you actually do eat every day. DON"T GIVE YOURSELF A CHOICE ABOUT THIS.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 262.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the feedback on my hair. I will go in a few weeks to the hairdresser and see what she says. I like Penny’s idea of the washout.
I’m listening to my body for once and trying to not eat as much at dinner. I do eat a hearty breakfast every day and my lunches this week have been turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes and cauliflower. Plus some berries, and a prepared snack of triscuits and hummus which I don’t always eat. If I eat a snack at 4:30 or 5, I can make dinner, do my exercise bike and then end up eating around 7.
One of the libraries i frequent at lunch time has an area where you can eat a snack, and they even have a coffee machine. Next thursday i may bring my lunch inside and eat there.
Bill- that lecture sounds great. You are on a roll! I tend to “hide” my passwords so no one else can find them, and then of course I can’t either.
Gardenerjoy- have a great time playing with the kids, that can be great exercise for sure.
Maryann- i’m lacking in my greens as well. Great to catch up on sleep.
Penny- great job back on track. Yay for functional exercise!
Karen- my B-in law has had that for awhile. Great idea to get it checked out now. I think he can still hear, but it's easier for him to hear on the other side. Then again I tend to mumble

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-07-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #35  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I stayed on plan yesterday, but weight was still up a bit this morning. Oh well. Today my plan is written and I'm hiking this morning with my friend and a couple of her friends that I haven't met. We're going to Brown's Ranch for a 7 mile hike. I don't hike there cause it's too flat, but it will be fine for a social outing.

More tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #36  

Yeah for weigh in day and the scale inches down. It is not an accident or a whim of the Gods. I made little decisions a all week that got the result I wanted. This week I have learned to really like the Fage nonfat yoghurt on fruit ( with a little Truvia).I met my exercise goal. I ate one less egg for breakfast three times (210 calories for the week.) most importantly I did not dive into cookies at the Academic Awards ceremony for DS. Last fall I was embarrassed to have had at least four maybe five. Instead I came home and made a low cal tortilla and veggie mix. I had all my fruits and veggies.

BBE: I like the idea of the three ring binder.
Gardenerjoy: I admire you for driving in that ice.
Karen: a social outing burns less calories but really adds to life as a whole.
Curleyjax: how great would it be for my school to have a coffee machine!
Old 02-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

Great-nibling #3 is healthy and a boy.

Today's challenge is lunch out with a friend. We're going back to a place that we went a couple of months ago -- I really fretted about my desire for a vegan cupcake, but as it turned out, I enjoyed the kale salad the most. So, this time, I'm getting the entree-sized salad and will ignore the cupcakes entirely.

Exercise: +20, 200/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #38  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still holding.

Bill, that is a good idea to use a binder instead of a file box. Maybe someday I'll be motivated to make the switch.

Joy, congrats on the new grand nephew! Enjoy your lunch out.

Karen, I'm with you on the lack of weightloss with on plan eating. Our bodies like to keep us in suspense.

Curly, all those foods sound so good!

Maryann, good job on the weightloss!
Old 02-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Isaac Newton reads 1st optics paper (1672, Royal Society in London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got out to a performance of Mozart's The Magic Flute (German: Die Zauberflφte) by a student group at Harvard College. The ticket price for a college performance is so very modest. And the audience was so very young and enthusiastic. Here's a link to Maria Callas singing one of its best known arias by the Queen of the Night just for a demo of how demanding it was for students. The story of the opera is one of the most convoluted, meaningless, misogynist, and just plain utterly stupid of all of opera. The libretto apologized saying that they had changed "single words and small phrases" when possible but: "We believe that we cannot and should not gloss over historical injustice." The opera is 229 years old; Austria was different back then.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Best news is to have shopped at the supermarket bringing home zero items not on the list. I do have a problem with snack foods calling my name as I'm headed to the checkout. Dinner was DW's white bean soup so I feel like my body can take care of itself for a day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for being Great Aunt a third time with a healthy DGN. Choosing a salad over a vegan cupcake is Kudos worthy.

maryann - Yep, "It is not an accident or a whim of the Gods." Kudos for avoiding cookies.

Karen (karenrn) - Your Brown's Ranch certainly captures the beauty of the Arizona desert.

curlyjax - Super lunch: "turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes and cauliflower". Finding a library for your lunch break is a great idea.

Penny. - Yay for weight still holding.

Readers -
Quote:

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet): . . .

Plan and monitor what you eat.
You can also experiment with having a general plan about what you're doing to eat and then decide before each meal what you're actually going to eat. For example, you might plan to have about a certain number of calories (or a certain portion size) of whatever protein, carbohydrates, and fat you want. But the moment you find yourself eating too much or not eating healthfully, go back to planning in advance. DON"T GIVE YOURSELF A CHOICE ABOUT THIS.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-08-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: DGS to DGN (Duh!)
Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Last night I let myself do absolutely nothing (well, I washed the dishes) and binge watched Sex in the City. I do not have anything in common with the women on the show, so its a total escape for me. Today is the usual mad dash of planning meals, groceries, dump run, pick up, etc. And I really need to clean out my car, and maybe get a 10 minute walk in. I may go see man friend for dinner and he rarely has dessert so that is good.
When DS is in college I may end up prepping dinners for the week too and eating the same thing all week, it does make life easier.
Karen- Brown's Ranch does look cool. A social 7 mile hike sounds great.
Maryann- great job on avoiding those cookies! I would have done the same thing if I started eating them.
Gardenerjoy- congrats on grandnephew! Yay for avoiding the evil cupcakes.
Penny- enjoy your non working weekend.
Bill- I do love the music of The Magic Flute, its one of the few operas I know. I’ve never heard the words in English so I remain blissfully ignorant.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-08-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #41  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday I ate the food items that were on my plan, but too much. Weight was up this morning more than I expected. PNP has 4 basics, 1) water, 2) sleep, 3) write a food plan, 4) eat when hungry -2 on the hunger scale, and stop when satisfied +2 on the hunger scale. I am doing very well on the first 3, but I am not doing well on the last one and my weight shows that. I simply must learn to eat less if I think I'm going to lose weight. We are going out for burgers tonight and since I have a ten mile hike tomorrow, I'll probably eat the burger, but no fries and limit drinks to 2. I'm eating at a maintenance level. However, I know if I don't pay attention I'll be gaining weight and I don't want that.

Curlyjax You certainly deserve an evening of doing nothing. I hope you're rested up for your busy day today.
Bill Thanks for posting the video of the desert. I will say it's much prettier now than in the video because it is much greener and soon to be in bloom. The area we're hiking tomorrow is further north and goes through a riparian area. I'm really looking forward to it. I always say I like all kinds of music, but I think I can mostly leave the opera out of that statement.
Penny Are you off this weekend? I missed that. If so, enjoy!
GardenerJoy Congratulations on the new nephew. When is he due? I love having the grand nieces and nephews.
Maryann Good job on putting things into play that are contributing to weight loss. And yes the social hike was very nice.

Well I'd better get moving, I've got my weekly meeting with my sweet young friends.

Last edited by karenrn; 02-08-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is another lunch out with several possibilities of locations and I won't get to choose. Invariably, the pickiest eater in the group gets to choose -- fair or not, it keeps the grumbling to a minimum. So, the plan is to focus on veggie-rich options where ever we end up.

Exercise: +45, 245/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #43  

So excited to change my weight down a pound. (I am always quick to change it down but not as quick to change, I notice . I did not eat candy out of the basket at my AA meeting. That has been a problem in the past. I was also helped a great deal that the boys are gone for dinner three nites this week and I don't have to be in the kitchen in the evening. That is a big deal!

I have a breakfast meeting right now. I have eaten my new favorite Fage with a banana and plan to order an egg beater omleltte with vegges. That makes a 0 point breakfast and takes me through to lunch.I may have a bisuit and jam which brings me to 5 points which I can also live with. I love the flexibility.

Off I go.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #44  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight dropped back down.

My energy was really low this last week but I feel it coming back and today will include a few errands. A pile of things waiting on a Goodwill run will finally go, and I need to consider the kitchen organization and see if I can get rid of anything.

Our hot water tap broke down and I ordered an electric kettle. I really don't have room in the kitchen for any more appliances so hoping to rearrange a little.

Bill, I'm glad it was a good show. Credit for sticking to the shopping list.

Karen, have a nice time with your PnP friends! I do have the weekend off but I don't think I mentioned it. I only work a couple three day weekends a month.

Curly, that show is so funny!

Maryann, credit for sticking to your WW plan and avoiding the candy!

Joy, good luck finding the veggies at the restaurant.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-08-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Full Moon - Oscar Night (Coincidence? I think not!)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - DW asked (forced?) me to "chat for a moment" after dinner to continue collecting all the services that need to be cancelled if we both disapparate tomorrow. It's not just the obvious, like tell 3FC so that my friends here won't just be left wondering and the other moderators will know to replace me. But I'm on a zillion lists and subscribe to a zillion services. Some will go away if the credit card is cancelled. But they'll still send a hundred notices to my email account. Then there's eBay, PayPal, and Amazon that have their fingers into my bank account where withdrawals might go unnoticed. The good news is that some of them list a phone number on the credit card bill. Presumably, that's the number to call to cancel. And fire insurance on the house must NOT be cancelled before my kids figure out what to do with it. What a list.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I did have an afternoon snack of roasted peanuts. Peanuts in the afternoon aren't necessary; the real issue is to get back to what I needed to be doing. Dinner was a frozen vegetarian lasagna that DW wanted to try before bringing it to some event. It was good enough. Ingredients tend to be dwarfed by tomato sauce and noodles. One more example of vegetarian that isn't low calorie nor particularly good for us. But it was dinner and was washed down by a California Navel Orange.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Avoiding grumbling isn't listed as one of Beck's Sabotaging Thoughts, LOL. Neat plan,
"veggie-rich options."

maryann - Surviving a breakfast meeting is a big deal; Kudos.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for planning to avoid the French fries with your burger. Sounds right, "I simply must learn to eat less if I think I'm going to lose weight."

curlyjax - LOL that you value that your man friend doesn't serve desserts. New trait to list on Tinder.

Penny. - Yay for just moving forward when the hot water tap broke down. I've often wondered how folks can continue to buy more kitchen appliances - maybe they have an acre of counter space.

Readers -
Quote:

Plan and monitor what you eat.
My experience has been that many people decide to stop writing down their food plans prematurely. They overestimate their ability to keep their eating in line without using this discipline. So don't be surprised if you find that you've stopped too soon. Don't get self-critical. Just go back to using this strategy when you need to.

Closed Thread