Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks born Rosa McCauley (1913, Tuskegee, Ala)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Received yet-another phone call from "Social Security" reporting suspicious activity causing them to shut down my account unless I called a certain phone number immediately. I've yet to figure out what to say to them to get off the list. Apparently, I'm a prime candidate to give up all my personal information to save my Social Security account. Suspect that Alexander Graham Bell turns over in his grave each time the telephone is abused so crudely.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, including dinner made from the last of the purchased-frozen eggplant parmesan. We got two meals out of one tray that "serves five" although I challenge any sane person to figure out how to carve five servings out of a squarish rectangle. Maybe five slivers. Dinner also included big servings of spinach. That's good because I just read that the only useful protection against the pandemic Coronavirus is boosting your immune system with Vitamin C from foods. The face masks do very little. Which doesn't matter since Amazon is sold out.

maryann - Super Kudos for driving past the evil Sees Candy Store without stopping. Thanks for the touching story of the coach of intercity kids getting an award.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for the desert in bloom - glorious sight that. (One of my life goals is to correctly remember desert vs. dessert as if they were two different words.) Yes, electric cars will need mechanics for steering, tires, and shocks. The big money making chores that dealers resent losing are: oil changes, oil filter changes, air filter changes, and tuneups with spark plugs. Around here, NO dealers advertise electric cars since they don't make much money on the sale of cars, but from standard maintenance.

Penny. - LOL at selling minestrone soup inside of pie crusts. Did you see the Groundhog Day Jeep Commercial? The whole movie condensed into sixty seconds. Bill Murray is a national treasure.

CJZee - Yay for plans for the gym.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41 Make a New To-Do list

Do these activities daily: . . .
  • Monitor your eating throughout the day.
  • Give yourself credit.
  • Do spontaneous exercise.
  • Respond to sabotaging thoughts. Eat only to mild fullness.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 261.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I have successfully done 2 weeks of stationary biking after work/before dinner, and added in some arm weights for one week. Granted it isn’t cardio really since i’m just doing it to keep my hip mobile, but still it counts. I will start to increase the resistance verrrrrrrry slowly to work on increasing hip strength. I ate too many chicken tenders yesterday but no snacks after that. And no sugar yesterday, yay.
Once more I messaged a guy on Match and he ignored me. I think this might not be my venue to meet people. I’m going to focus on doing things with friends for now and maybe revisit when its nicer out.
Bill- I keep getting those SS calls too. And in the fall, DH would have turned 65 so I received lots of Medicare options mail with his name on it, very annoying since he’s dead and SS knows that.
Karen- intriguing idea of a lush desert!
Maryann-I’m with you- regular joes helping people are my heros.
Penny- I love the minestrone pie!
CJZee- early gym is always good.
Gardenerjoy- i’m a light drinker too, one glass of wine is enough for me and then i’m sleepy.

Last edited by curlyjax; 02-04-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

Yesterday was the perfect amount of food. I went to bed a little hungry. It was not the perfect amount of veggies. So I have packed more today. The focus for today is to do it again.

This week I am teaching the movie Lincoln to show the interaction of the three branches of government within the constraints of the constitution . But really I just love the movie

Penny: 100% agree with the view of women. I think sometimes I could be that hot if I had money and time to throw at it. Then I think of Oprah and realize it is discipline and perseverance. Money is not the answer to everything.

Wow, I’m back on the opinion box.

Karen: I would live the day you described.
Curleyjax: I too like male companionship and remember the many many years I was single. I didn’t marry till I was 37.
CJzee: the aerobics sound like a good plan.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

I've had a couple of days of eating a little more than I need. I know because I'm feeling a little too full for a little too long. But, here's the good news: I know longer like that sensation. I'd like to get that thought full planted in my brain -- I don't like feeling full.

Exercise: +50, 115/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #20  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is coming down again.

Today is a big workout day since two cords of wood are being delivered to the driveway and it will all need to be relocated to the wood racks. I'm usually sore after that job, even with the whole family helping.

Bill, I did see that comercial! My daughter was telling me about it and then it showed up before a youtube video. I love that so many things were the same: actors, the quilt on the bed, etc.

Karen, that blooming desert hike sounds amazing! Kudos for the drop in weight.

Joy, congrats on meeting your January ecercise goal! Hope the salad plan went off without a hitch.

Curly, kudos for making the indoor cycling a habit!

Maryann, yay for a good eating day! I ended up binge watching Shakira videos and she is an amazing dancer! Wow!

CJZee, I hope you kicked butt on the tredmill.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #21  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I finished the day on plan yesterday and today's plan is written. Not sure what I'm going to do for exercise. Probably a shorter hike when it's a little warmer.

Penny I guess you'll be getting a workout today.
GardenerJoy Yes, if we could only remember we don't really like the full feeling.
Maryann I hope your students like the movie as much as you did. I did too. I was thinking of Oprah when I thought about all the money I would need to look like those gals too, and yes I'm sure they are very disciplined.
Curlyjax Good habits are such a good thing. Congrats for getting on the bike daily.
Bill I guess I've lucked out. I haven't gotten a call about the Social Security scam, either that or I just don't answer.

I woke up at 2 a.m. this morning and was wanting to see the Iowa caucus results, which of course I didn't learn. Anyway, I decided to go back to bed after I had breakfast and dh went back to work. I did get another hours sleep and feel just fine.
Now I've just got to get a little bit motivated to get something done today. I've done some laundry and posted here so I guess that's a start. Have a good day all of you.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:34 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Phoenix, Arizona incorporated (1881)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A Facebook friend posted a picture of a sign on the front door of a local drugstore stating that they were out of facemasks. Hoarding of facemasks has begun. I've only seen a handful being worn by folks around here. Spontaneous exercise, CREDIT moi, was scraping the 2019 parking sticker from my car's front windshield and putting on the 2020 version. In days gone by, that wouldn't have been cited as a chore - do it every year. Now they have better glue. Enough better that I considered it repetitive arm exercise before the scraping was done. Now I'm legal to park in the city.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner was salmon steaks grilled on the tiny deck outside our kitchen door. Simple meals feel so right. And one more California Navel Orange for evening snack.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - What a victory, "I don't like feeling full."

maryann - Such a good sign this going to bed a little hungry.

Karen (karenrn) - I'll remind you later that you waited until it got warmer to hike. Seems like you also start out early to avoid the warm.

curlyjax - Kudos for two weeks of biking. Chicken tenders do seem to want to be eaten.

Penny. - I'm tired just thinking about you and those two cords of wood.

Readers -
Quote:

Do these activities between once a day and once a week:
  • Weigh yourself at least once a week (daily, if you prefer).
  • Discuss your weight change and dieting experiences with your diet coach at least once a week.
  • Do planned exercised at least three times a week.
  • Continue to make sure that you have enough time and energy to devote to dieting.
  • Read your Advantages Response Card as needed.
  • . . .
Old 02-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #23  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan again, but I need to be careful of portion sizes as usual. I never did get out for a hike, so walking Otis and a little housework were it for yesterday. I did get the tax preparation completed, so I feel good about that. I'll run it over to the CPA today. This morning I'm hiking with a couple of friends. It will be way too cold, so I only hope it won't also be breezy. I guess the hard part for me is that if I have enough clothes on at the start it is soon too much because of the steep hills. At least it is clear and will be sunny.

Bill A doctor that was on CNBC yesterday basically said the facemasks are ineffective in a short time since our breath makes them moist. Glad we don't have to worry too much about it. Of the things I remember he said, don't touch your face and wash hands with soap and water.

Have a great day!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is tension about weather. But I don't have to get out. On Sunday, we'll get a high of 48 degrees and rain to wash away whatever this storm throws at us (apparently some unpredictable combination of ice, sleet, and snow in some unpredictable order). The one thing on my calendar before Sunday that would be really bad if I missed also comes with a ride if I need it. Everything else can be rescheduled or handled by others.

Exercise: +30, 145/1200 minutes for February
Old 02-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

Another good OP day. I’m learning lots of things: How to eat one less egg in the morning; how to only put a little half Truvia, half sugar on top of my coffee and not in it as well; how to have just fruit and a little nonfat yogurt as a mid morning snack. Things like these will be my answer to true losses.

I can’t really think about the Corona Virus. I come into contact with so many kids a day I have to let the bugs thing go.

Last edited by maryann; 02-05-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #26  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight jumped back up two pounds. I assume it's inflammation from the awesome workout I got loading wood for two hours.

Bill, lol at the parking sticker removal workout. I seem to remember butter being involved in that task.

Karen, yes, lots of layers and a backpack to stuff them is how we have to do it here.

Joy, it sounds like a cozy few days ahead for you.

Maryann, since we homeshool, whenever we decide to go somewhere like a pool or amusement park etc, we joke about taking our immune system out for a stretch. One indoor play place has set us into six weeks of illness. You have probably built up quite an army of antibodies.

Last edited by Penny.; 02-05-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday- HMS Beagle and Charles Darwin arrive in Van Diemen's Land (1836, Tasmania)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. DW observed that the little dynamo simply NEVER stopped moving. The New England Aquarium served her well since there are always visible places to move to next. The harbor seals did their usual; one doesn't need a 150 thousand gallon saltwater tank when a fraction of that with six charming seals entertains both kids and adults. We remembered to bring a bag of Cheerios. When we arrived at the subway, several dozen pigeons were waiting for her on the roof. They surrounded her and her tiny hands tossing Cheerios engaged in her power to make them fly from here to there for a tiny chunk of food.

Dinner was grabbed at Clover - a popular place that sells a meatball sub made with impossible meat. We split an impossible sub and split an order of French fries with Rosemary. Perhaps the most unbalanced meal of the year with a faint CREDIT moi for splitting everything so that it was only half-unbalanced so to speak. We were out for a book signing of Doug Tallamy's new book: Nature's Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in Your Yard. Tallamy makes a strong case that even a small, city yard with some key native species helps to sustain the ecology. Think of caterpillars as good guys who are magic converters of plants to protein to feed the birds and support the chain. The audience was filled with believers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope you make your event despite the iffy weather. One of Tallamy's examples was the yard of a guy in Kirkwood, MO. Your spot in MO keeps appearing in lectures in my life. Something magic out there.

maryann - Yep, hard to believe that one can teach and avoid whatever the kids have.

Karen (karenrn) - Super Kudos for getting your tax preparation completed - big step.

Penny. - Yay for enough work to make your body squirm. LOL at "taking our immune system out for a stretch."

Readers -
Quote:

Do these activities between once a day and once a week:
  • . . .
  • Use anti-craving techniques.
  • Use the Seven Questions Technique when you're upset.
  • Prepare yourself psychologically for special occasion eating.
  • Do problem solving to reduce stress.
  • Take steps to enrich your life.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave. not much going on during the week. I'm continuing to do my feeble arm weights a few times a week- i think it can take 6 weeks before you see results. So i'll have to be patient. I'm starting to think about altering my hair a bit, I think it does make me look older than I am. Can you get rid of some of the grey but not all, I wonder. I will ask my hairdresser the next time I get my hair cut. That would be a radical step for me, Ms. natural!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #29  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday in spite of going out to lunch with friends after our hike. It was pretty cold when we hiked, but there was no breeze so it felt just fine. My lunch was some sort of chicken and grain bowl, but I left some behind even though it was delicious. I didn't want to get on the scale this morning because I felt like my weight might be up, but I was very happy to see it was down. Tomorrow is my official weigh in day so I'm going to be very diligent today and lots of water too. It seems like often I choose Thursday to be the day to go off plan and then am so disappointed in my weight on Friday. I know I eat really healthy food, but I really need to watch my portion sizes, especially as my weight goes down. My backpacking buddy and I have longer Monday hikes planned, but it is supposed to rain next Monday so luckily she is available on Sunday.

I think I have tinnitus. I realized in the last couple of days that I hear a really high pitched ringing in the left ear. It is only troublesome when there is no other noise, like when I'm in bed. I took an allergy pill this morning to see if that would help. I will make a doctor's appointment next week if it doesn't go away. I haven't been subjected to any really loud noise. Dr. Google said if it is only on one side it could be an acoustic neuroma. One of my brothers had that and waited so long to see what was going on that he has no hearing on that side. This does not seem to have effected my hearing. Have any of you had this?

Curlyjax It will be interesting to see what your hairdresser says. Many of my friends have gone grey. Mostly the ones who had very dark hair who could not keep up with the coloring since they were entirely white or silver. I will say the ones that look the youngest are trim and really have a fashion sense with their clothing.

Bill Your unbalanced meal sounds delicious. Portion sizes are so important and sharing is a great solution.

Penny I'm sure that workout contributed to weight gain. I just hate when that happens.

Maryann Yes, those little habits of cutting back are what we need to do for long term weight loss. Good job.

GardenerJoy The good news is that you don't have to go out when the weather is terrible. I hope it doesn't last long.

I woke up at 2:30 this morning and stayed awake until about 4:00. The good news is I went back to sleep and got another couple of hours. I guess it is now time to get up and get moving though. You all have a great day.

Last edited by karenrn; 02-06-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #30  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. My muscles are so sore from the wood stacking job, I need a wood stacking job every week!

Bill, if we all moved like a four year old, maybe none of us would need 3FC.

Curly, I like the wash-out hair dyes. You get a little fun change without the growing out mess. I've only done it a couple times with store bought stuff, but a coworker had it done regularly from a salon and it always looked nice.

Karen, I'm waking up too early these days as well, and then back to bed for a couple hours. Credit for the on plan eating with a meal out. That's tough to do.
Closed Thread