Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 9 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 173/169/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP. Shrink appt went well. My goal today is to continue to sit while eating which is better but not 100%. I was listening to several Ted Talks as suggested by Curleyjax and One person said they would eat anything as long as it is with a knife and fork. Interesting to eat a candy bar like that.

The Ted talk I suggested in the previous post has me thinking about the importance of what food goes into my body. Any major calorie restriction brings reprisal from the body but healthy foods seem to make you gradually eat less without as much push back. So healthy foods while sitting is the mantra for today. I have an edamame salad from the Whole Foods store that should do the trick.

Wave

Last edited by maryann; 01-23-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #122  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We'll be snowed in for two days. We could get out if we needed to, but there's no reason to go out in a wintry mix.

I may have to get creative about exercise if we decide that it's too icy to walk. Or, too rainy. It looks like when it gets above freezing the wintry mix will change to rain. I have DVDs and a treadmill (that needs to be moved to be usable, but that could happen). I've also recently discovered that there are lots of workouts available on Amazon Prime. I've been slowly following a 30-day yoga program with a lot of strength-training poses and I'm already feeling stronger in 2020 than I ever did in 2019.

Exercise: +30, 850/1300 minutes for January

maryann: I think I've been experiencing the benefit of healthy foods helping me gradually eat less without as much push back as major calorie restriction. Thanks for naming it for me so I could recognize it.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Still thinking about Wednesday's baguette. Asked DW why we didn't have them more often. "Flour and water is not best thing for our diet." Such a spoilsport. It's hard to live with a rational person.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was half a California Navel Orange. It was sweet and juicy. Have no idea how they can travel this far and still be wonderful. Thank you truckers of the world.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat if you're set up to stay in place for two days until the world becomes easier to travel.

maryann - Interesting to think about eating a candy bar with a knife and fork. LOL at our ability to think about overcoming any obstacle between us and sugar.

Karen (karenrn) - A Thai restaurant can be much better than so many other options.

curlyjax - Thanks for "Face your stuff, don't stuff your face." Kudos for not having a calzone whey you got one for your DS.

Readers -
Quote:
day 40 Enrich Your Life

Like Maggie, have you put off enriching your life? Here's how to get started on making your life better today.

​​​Do It Now
Put aside at least 10 minutes today during which you won't be interrupted or distracted. Then do the following: . . .
  • Get a calendar. Mark down when you'll do at least the first step.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 256.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Apparently my future self wanted me to eat ice cream last night. DS had a sore throat so I zipped out to buy him some, and got into it myself. I avoided the temptations of sugar during the work day anyhow- free muffins during a morning meeting. And I did exercise my hip on the stationary bike, and lifted some weights, while watching a tv show. I also told myself " just deal with ten pieces of paper" old papers stuffed in a bag that need to be shredded, recycled or filed. I want to reclaim the tv room and maybe put a cheap treadmill in there ultimately, but the deal is I need to clean it up first. So, baby steps, a little each day.
Gardenerjoy- how funny you have such bad weather, and we have two days of 40 degree temps here in cold new england! The weather is crazy.
Maryann- that sounds like a good Ted talk. I couldn't remember the titles, there are a lot which is great.
Bill-oranges are indeed amazingly good.
tonight I'm hopefully hanging out with two pals who are both on WW so we will all be mindful about eating. A good start to the weekend!

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-24-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #125  

Weigh in day. Not a huge loss but a loss. Good. I am taking my own advice and adding in veggies. Less of that flour and water BBE is talking about.

I seem to be fighting the blues a bit. The best advice I have been given for that is to not chase the down. For me that means don’t try and force myself up or it gets worse. I have plenty planned for the classes. Part of the down I think is just the overwhelm I face everyday in the classroom. My second period is a pushin class with 11 special needs, 10 second language kids and another 20 or so who I don’t want to ignore. For the special needs I am suppose to know all the accommodations. So why do they give me 34 freshman?

I doubt myself through all of this and part of me grows weary because I am suppose to be electric and entertaining at the same time.

So my plan is a little meditation this morning. I have cooked the premade butternut spirals and added fat free ricotta and some spices for lunches.

I’ll figure out dinner when I come to it.

Curleyjax and Gardenerjoy: Thanks for reminding me that exercise at home counts as exercise.

Last edited by maryann; 01-24-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #126  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Quick check in this morning. Food was on plan yesterday. My friend didn't feel well so we didn't go to the cowboy bar which meant no drinks. Weight is down a bit this morning and that feels very good.

I'm ready to have my alone time so I can get back to planning my hikes etc.

Karen
Old 01-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

I managed to time it right to get a walk in the snow yesterday, plus some power yoga for strengthening and stretching.

Today, I'll aim for more of that.

Exercise: +55, 905/1300 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: We came home from Paris with an appreciation for baguettes, too. I had to quit cold turkey almost immediately because I found them so addictive. I buy them for DH when he requests, but, fortunately, that's getting farther and farther in between.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:34 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Chinese New Year 4719 - Sign: Rat, a positive Yang year

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with a stop at the library to return two books that I've been fondling without finishing for a few weeks. I have difficulty admitting that I'm not going to finish a book. This includes the novel The Goldfinch that I checked out specifically to read a couple of scenes to compare to the movie (that we loved). Feels like a minor step forward in my life just to return two books. My house is full of stuff that I'll never use again that needs to be removed. CREDIT moi for one small step; Ouch that it's so small when the stacks are so large.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including not buying stuff at the supermarket that wasn't on plan. I did buy some Thomas English Muffins on sale along with some Canadian bacon. I plan to do this when the English muffins go on sale; that's just spaced far enough to be reasonable. An occasional English muffin is right up there with baguettes.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad it's you walking in the snow, not me. I'm pretending that winter isn't coming this year.

maryann - That is a punishing class assortment. We seemed to have drifted into a state where teachers are expected to fill all our needs in life. I worry that the system will implode.

Karen (karenrn) - I have created an image of that "cowboy bar" that fits all the old Westerns of my youth.

curlyjax - Hanging out with friends who are on WW is a great plan.

Readers -
Quote:
day 40 Enrich Your Life

Like Maggie, have you put off enriching your life? Here's how to get started on making your life better today.

​​​Do It Now
Put aside at least 10 minutes today during which you won't be interrupted or distracted. Then do the following: . . .
  • If you're uncertain of how to go about working toward a goal, ask friends or family for help. Mark on your calendar when you plan to consult with them. Doing so increases the likelihood that you'll go ahead and devise a plan.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #129  

I had a nice time with my friends last night. I feel bad for my friend who is struggling with trying to help her mom, whose memory is failing. I've made some suggestions and will try to get her together with another friend who knows a lot about this, both professionally and personally.
Then I came home and ate two slices of leftover pizza because i was actually hungry! Today is plan meals, groceries, hit the dump, start getting things ready for taxes, etc. I think i'm meeting another friend for dinner potentially, and then tomorrow i may go to a concert. Busy weekend which is nice!

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-25-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #130  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Fabulous to wake up to a Saturday morning next to my fire, coffee in hand and reading your posts.

Karen: You mentioned your cowboy bar and it brought back lots of memories of my single days trolling for dudes. Nothing serious. Just a little catch and release It doesn't seem that long ago but it was more than twenty years!!! Funny, DH wouldn't have been caught dead on a dance floor. I am a firm believer that the qualities of a great husband have very little intersection with the qualities one is looking for in a great date. Maybe the intersection point is a good sense of humor.
BBE: Bread is indeed the sticking factor for weight loss for me. It must be managed carefully.
Curleyjax: I am so glad you have so many friends to hang with. It makes a difference.
Gardenerjoy: I take California central valley for granted. We can walk nearly any time. Why don't I

Yesterday at school was fine. The kids were good. Everyday it is like diving into a pool and not remembering I can swim until I hit the water. I had a class of seniors singing the preamble to the Constitution ( School House Rock) so I must still have some game left.

I am happy to be under my starting weight here. I will not weigh until next Friday. This is important because I have soup planned for lunch which tends to raise the scale as does my Body Flow at 10:00. Both of those are good things for me and I don't want to not do them for fear of tomorrow's number. Trust the process. I am off to the dreaded Walmart. I never go there but there are two food items I want to try and that is the only places that carries them. One is Palmini linguini which is pasta shapes made from hearts of palm and tysons air fried chicken nuggets. I will report back.

Have a great day.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone!

I keep thinking I will write a long, interesting post but life intervenes. I do normally take a quick look to see what everyone is up to, so thanks for being here!

I'm doing pretty well, down a few pounds more. I've started a new course of physical therapy this week, so I'm hopeful it will help.

Still doing the 2x per week personal trainer, and I've noticed I'm lifting a lot heavier weights than I used to, which is good. One of the other things the trainer likes to do with me is boxing, which I enjoy. He just has the mitts, and I hit them with boxing gloves on, haha. He puts the mitts in different places around his body and has me hit them with different boxing moves - jabs, uppercuts, hooks etc. One thing I notice is that it is quite aerobic, even though one wouldn't think it would be. Also, it taxes my brain as to what I'm hitting, where it is, and what type of movement. Sometimes he travels across the floor, and I have to follow him with the hits.

Anyway, I told him both the trainer and the PT that I would go walk or bike every day, so I still have that on the agenda today.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #132  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Well darn we didn't get to the cowboy bar the other night because my friend ended up not feeling that well. Instead we watched Rick Steve's YouTube videos of Croatia where she thinks she may go with her daughter and grandchildren. It was a nice overview of what to start researching. I had to suggest that maybe she should go home and get some things done there, so she took the shuttle from the airport when I went there to pick up my husband yesterday. It was actually her that decided it after I mentioned at the store that maybe she didn't need that many baskets of berries because she would likely be going home before long. I need to get back to my routine and I knew my husband would be less than pleased to have company still. As you all know, we have enough company. The good news is that I was pretty well on plan food wise while I was with her and weight was down a bit. The exercise portion was not good. Today I had my WW equivalent meeting with my PNP gals. Tomorrow and Monday I have hikes planned to get me going again.

CJZee Good job to be doing your exercise and also to have your weight going down.
Maryann I'm glad your day at school turned out better than expected. Kind of reminds me of a friend I hike with who is not confident with her hiking, but always does well. Seems like you are an excellent teacher and just need to remember that. Of course it doesn't mean that it isn't quite challenging and I can't believe how many students you have in your class, but they are so lucky to have you.
Curlyjax You seem to have quite a social life going lately. That is so nice.
Bill I can't remember if I read The Goldfinch or listened to it on the audiobook, but it was a long one. I didn't ever see the movie.
GardenerJoy I would love to see some snow. One of these days I'll have to drive where there is some, cause it doesn't happen near me very often.

I hope you're all having a great weekend!

Old 01-26-2020, 05:58 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Australia Day, First European settlers landed in present-day Sydney (1788)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner with friends included a crustless quiche. Watched my friend stir eggs and milk that she poured over a Pyrex dish of lightly steamed broccoli and shredded cheese. Then baked for 50 minutes. Delicious. It felt noble to have quiche without the deadly crust. Ignored that the volume of crust was replaced with cheese. Watched the 1950 movie Woman on the Run with an amazing roller coaster sequence. I had to admit that I didn't know what "Film noir" meant. So it's not so metaphysical; just a style of movies.

Spent the day collecting the info that we'll take to the lawyer in our latest attempt to get our papers in order. They insist on calling it "Estate Planning" which feels a tad grandiose for my taste. We will leave an estate if we both die tomorrow - the house can be sold for a chunk. If, however, we are fortunate enough to live for a while, we'll likely end up in a retirement community that will happily consume what we have. One of the most sobering parts to me while filling out the looooong questionnaire of personal information is that the lawyer has no idea who we are. It specifically asks will my kids get along after we're both dead. Had never thought that I'd have to write down that they do get along. In a few weeks it'll all be over; the last time we did wills we had to designate who we nominated to be guardians of our kids. A bit obsolete even if key parts are correct.

maryann - Palmini linguine is a new one for me. Look forward to hearing how it works out.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for houseguests who figure out to spend some time away. Neat that you've got your DW back; assume that Otis is pleased.

curlyjax - Yep, it's nice to be busy - especially when it involves friends.

CJZee - Kudos for continuing with the personal trainer. Neat that you're doing heavier weights.

Readers -
Quote:
day 40 Enrich Your Life

​​​Do It Now
  • As you put activities on your calendar, watch for sabotaging thoughts. For example, if your goal is to look for a new job, you might think, What if it doesn't work out? What if I don't like it? If your goal is to be more sociable, you might have such thoughts as, What if no one wants to spend time with me?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #134  

I had a very productive day yesterday, even though my dinner plans ran a lot longer than i thought. It was dinner with my manfriend who does get lonely too. I feel less obsessed with him than I did last year so that is good. I'm working on my resistance muscles in other ways more than just food (don't text him too often, get some chores done before tv). I'm feeling productively inclined again so i think i will skip the concert and work on financials etc, and aim to get a walk in since its beautiful here for January!
Friends - I have a very small group of really good friends I can talk to, and another small group of acquaintance type friends I can do things with. I've really been trying to reach out more and will continue to do so.
Maryann- love the trolling for dudes image!
Penny- good to see you! Personal trainer sounds great.
Karen- must be nice to have the house to yourself again, you did a good job in tactfully getting her to go
Bill- its great you're addressing all that now. you would be suprised how many siblings don't get along, i see it in my work all the time.

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-26-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #135  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP. Body Flow class and shopping for healthy foods. Walmart had nothing I needed. Good. I don’t want to go back. Palmini pasta received bad reviews on Amazon and was very expensive so I passed on it. If I am going to eat pasta it will be the real stuff weighed.

Today I have lots of school work and home errands. First, church.

Karen: Nice to have your house back.
Curleyjax: It is hard to balance alone and lonely. I know I need much alone time but I enjoy my friends as well.
BBE: The will stuff is tough. My brothers and sisters do not get along. I never thought a lawyer would ask that question.
CJEE: The boxing sounds fun. I bet it keeps you on yr toes

Last edited by maryann; 01-26-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Closed Thread