Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Super excited that I purchased my own cross country equipment yesterday. I have been thinking about it for awhile. I have had several private lessons and know I enjoy the sport so it is time to leap. Having my own means I just hop into a state park and take off. I see myself doing more and more of it as I retire.

Today the plan is to downhill ski for a half day then head home. I tracked all my food yesterday. Credit.

Karen: I second Curleyjax. You are really cool to help her through this.

Wave to all
Old 01-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #107  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Finished my work weekend and weight is up. I have a yucky cold.

Maryann, congrats on the new ski equipment. That is great exercise too.

Bill, thanks for the chicken nugget review. Surprisingly, my kids never choose nuggets when we eat out, but I bet they'd love 'em now that I haven't been cooking meat. lol

Curly, lentil soup sounds good. Credit for getting your food prepped today. The bathroom tile is getting fully demo'd and going with basic white subway tile. Cheapest option.

Joy, yay for eating well over the weekend. Homemade bread is the best.

Karen, that sounds like a busy few days,and more to come, but I think that's the way you like it. I love your energy!

I'm prob going to take a social media break and check in with you all next week.

Last edited by Penny.; 01-20-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:47 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - The supersonic Concorde jet put into service by Britain and France (1976)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Turned down the offer to see Tom Hanks in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Just didn't wanna. Ended up driving DW and her friend there and picking them up afterward. Didn't save much time, but didn't have to watch. They both thought it well done and even thought that I'd have liked it. I already know that Mr. Rogers likes me just the way I am and that old men look dorky in cardigan sweaters.

Dinner was chili made with the beans meant for a 13 bean soup with white turkey meat. Amazingly good. I'm a big fan of chili when it's cold outside. It was 19 degrees F when I drove my electric car to get DW and friend. The battery in my electric car isn't happy when the temperature is that cold. Don't blame it. Neither am I.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I do admire that you can bake bread and only consume a sane portion.

maryann - Yay for having your own cross country equipment - more likely to go out with it.

Karen (karenrn) - That's very generous of you to help your friend sort photos that are likely to make her sad.

curlyjax - Congrats for surviving one more round of having your DD at home. Good point: kids need to get back to where their life is centered.

Penny. - Ouch for a yucky cold - hope it's not one of the current ones that lasts for a few weeks. Good luck with your break; see you when you come back.

Readers -
Quote:
day 40 Enrich Your Life

Like Maggie, have you put off enriching your life? Here's how to get started on making your life better today.

​​​Do It Now
Put aside at least 10 minutes today during which you won't be interrupted or distracted. Then do the following: . . .
  • Take out your diet notebook. Made a list of goals that you'd like to accomplish before or after you lose weight. Do you want to change your job in some way? Become more computer savvy? Join a club? Meet new people? Improve relationships with family and friends? Pursue a hobby? Travel?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 256.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #109  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

The food plan was changed yesterday from dinner at home to dinner out at a Mexican restaurant, but I did have a salad that was a pretty good choice. Not too much cheese on it and the meat was grilled chicken. My friend was going to cook the dinner last night and I knew she was tired. We'll take the ingredients to my house today and she can cook it there. Yesterday AAA came and diagnosed that she needed a new battery in the car that has been sitting for months. It's an old Suzuki Sidekick that her husband drove in the desert, but it runs well with the new battery and will be ready to sell and meanwhile will be fine for around town. Today we will take it in for a good cleaning. Yesterday included taking more from storage to the rescue mission and loading my car with tubs of photos and albums to take to my house today.

I'm sure I have probably asked this before, but have any of you used an ap on your phones to scan photos? I have Photomyne, but it seems like now there is a monthly fee. My friends has all of her photos and her parents as well.

Bill I think you probably would have liked the movie too. I saw it and I know I didn't like it as much as others did, but it was different than I expected. I've had my eye on your temperatures. Brrrrr! I think it was mid 70's here yesterday. (Of course I wouldn't rub that in because then you could rub in how terribly hot it is here in the summer.)
Penny I do like to stay busy, although I'm not near as busy as I used to be. Nor do I have that much energy. Take good care of yourself and I hope that cold doesn't last too long either. For me the cough was the worst, I never had a stuffy nose.
Maryann I'm think it's wonderful that you now have your own cross country ski equipment. I truly think that my identity as a hiker (at least in my own mind) helps me keep my weight in check.
GardenerJoy I too admire you for baking bread and not eating it all. My Dad used to break many different kinds of bread once he retired and I think I'd love to try his Pumpernickel recipe. Watching The Great British Baking program the other night really made me think I would love to bake a little more.
Curlyjax Feeling all the feelings without buffering with food is a very difficult part of dieting to be sure. It did seem like winter break was extra long.

As far as being kind for helping my friend, really I get a lot of satisfaction by helping her accomplish these things and helping her move forward. She was really just paralyzed with overwhelm and I could see why. I knew it would not be a quick process even though she has been very good letting go of things, but we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Superquick wave. I have my follow up from surgery today and need to zip out of here. Yesterday I prepped some healthy things like lentil soup, baked chicken, baked sweet potatoes etc and have some good lunches lined up. I splurged in a starbucks drink (which is like eating ice cream!) since I spent a lot of time doing financial stuff- yes, i'm still rewarding myself with food, a bad habit but today is back to basics!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #111  

Downhill skiing was fun. No traffic back to the valley which was nice.

Food was tracked but over budget. If I keep within minimum levels until Friday I’ll be fine.

Wave
Old 01-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #112  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is a couple of small errands that I'd hoped wouldn't have to be run today so I can have another at-home day. That can lead to resentment and entitlement to rewards. They really are very small errands and not worth all that emotional entanglement. I'll enjoy listening to the radio in the car and the sounds and sights in the stores. I will not enjoy any treats because I have a perfectly good plan written down that uses food that's already in the house.

Exercise: +70, 765/1300 minutes for January
Old 01-22-2020, 05:39 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday-Russian-American choreographer George Balanchine born (1904, St Petersburg)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got my course assignments for the Spring semester. I got into an introductory course on Buddhism. I'm psyched, even though learning Buddhism from a book seems to be anti-Buddhist. (And several other courses.)

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. More fruit salad. Actually, I could get used to a big bowl of freshly cut fruit salad every evening.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch that entitlement raises its ugly head with Kudos for recognizing that.

maryann - Glad that your downhill skiing was good. So you'll be switching back and forth with cross-country?

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a car 'fixed' with only a new battery. And Kudos for another trip to the rescue mission.

curlyjax - Congrats for recognizing that Starbucks is like eating ice cream.

Readers -
Quote:
day 40 Enrich Your Life

Like Maggie, have you put off enriching your life? Here's how to get started on making your life better today.

​​​Do It Now
Put aside at least 10 minutes today during which you won't be interrupted or distracted. Then do the following: . . .
  • Look at your list. See which of your "after weight loss" goals you could actually start working toward right away.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #114  

I saw the x-ray of my surgery which was pretty cool, I didn't realize how long the replacement is. The nurse practioner I saw was just terrible; very condescending and rushed. Either he hates his job or thinks poorly of people in general, I don't know. Anyhow, the replacement is doing well. I guess I should start doing more stretching etc but it's only been six weeks, I'm not in a rush to overdo it and have pain again.
Last night I watched some TED talks on weight loss which were good. I like to watch something for 30 minutes while i'm eating dinner and kind of recuperate from the day, but if i watch tv shows its hard to stop. So maybe I'll try that again tonight.
Bill- Buddhist course sounds interesting.

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-22-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #115  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I practiced several good habits yesterday including saying "No" to a candy bar after lunch at school. I got into a habit of eating one and it is difficult to stop obsessing for it. So, nice practice of resistance muscle. I also went grocery shopping without buying extra treats.

Yesterday was still somewhat overbudget but all tracked. Again, good for me. I want to come in successful in my weighin on Friday so I am going to attempt for under points these last two days. I have a shrink appt today so no time for exercise.

DS had a very hard day at school yesterday with his groups of friends basically ostracizing him. He was really upset. It is hard to watch your kid feel pain. Credit that I didn't eat over it. In the end, he has to work through it. We had a long talk about looking at his part and doing what he could to clean up his side of the street and letting the rest go. Easy to say, hard to do, I know. Anyway, it made me realize that I am surrounded by a 100 teenagers just like him all going through the same kinds of things. I have to remember that American Government may be important but it plays second fiddle to learning how to grow up.

BBE: You reminded me of the the book I liked "If You Meet Buddha on the Road, Kill Him." Yes, I am going to do both ski sports. My downhill season pass is restricted so those are perfect days to cross country.
Curleyjax: Boo for badly behaved medical professionals. What are the TED Talks titles on weight loss?
Gardenerjoy: Planning to stay home more often sounds wonderful to me.

Last edited by maryann; 01-22-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #116  
Green Tomatoes

I scheduled a meeting at Whole Foods today, so I won't have to bribe myself to go. My intention is to have the salad bar and nothing else. I've got a good snack planned at home and don't need to eat anything else that Whole Foods will tempt me with.

Exercise: +55, 820/1300 minutes for January
Old 01-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #117  

This is an awesome Ted Talk in mindful eating. I think it intersects with Beck in that the focus is on healthy habits rather than a set program

https://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work?utm _source=sms&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tedspre ad
Old 01-23-2020, 05:12 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - French Impressionist painter Edouard Manet born (1832, Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Made a major contribution to the notion of emotional use of food. Started a week ago when I got the Mo Willems book Nanette's Baguette. Nanette is sent by her mom to buy a baguette. She nibbles at it on the way home, ultimately consuming the WHOLE thing. But mom hugs her and takes her to buy another. Then mom and Nanette nibble the WHOLE second baguette on the way home. The story touched me since I'd done that in Paris and introduced the DGD's mother to the idea - all within sight of Notre Dame Cathedral. Called the local bakery; baguettes come out of the oven about 11 am. Dropped by. The DGD was handed the warm, delicious smelling baguette in her hand - with a tissue, no bag. The three of us sat down right there in the bakery and nibbled half the loaf. Wonderful experience. Now the DGD knows that the purpose of food is to be consumed outside of mealtimes when it smells good. Maybe not the best lesson to be teaching her. As an aside, the baguette was absolutely superb: crunchy crust, moist insides. I do need to get myself back to Paris.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. No snacks since there isn't time to snack while chasing the little dynamo.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Makes me feel good that you used Whole Foods for a meeting. Like to know that someone is getting their money's worth from them.

maryann - Kudos for " practice of resistance muscle." Ouch for having to see your DS feel pain. High school kids can be so uncivilized.

curlyjax - Congrats for surviving a nurse practitioner that was out of sorts. Smart that you didn't let that ruin your day.

Readers -
Quote:
day 40 Enrich Your Life

​​​Do It Now
  • Take one goal. Write down the steps you'll need to do to accomplish it.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #119  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food plan changed yesterday from dinner at home to dinner at a Thai restaurant. I'm sure both the calories and the sodium were higher than a meal at home, but it sure was good. I did get in a hike with friends in the morning. Today I'll get out for a walk with Otis and do some housework for exercise today. We're going to see Doolittle even though the ratings are not good at all and out to the cowboy bar in the evening to either watch the line dancing lesson or partake if we are courageous.

Bill Eating a baguette at the bakery sounds wonderful.
Maryann I'm sorry about your son's bad day at school. It is so hard to watch our children go through hard things.
GardenerJoy A meeting at Whole Foods sound like a perfect way to get yourself there.
Curlyjax I'm glad your hip is doing well and sorry about your experience with the nurse practitioner. I need to look up some TED talks, I'm sure there are lots of good ones.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #120  

I was so exhausted last night for some reason, I just gave up and read in bed for about 90 minutes, which was wonderful. Food during the day was OP; for dinner I splurged a bit since I was buying a calzone for DS dinner and didn't want to make anything for myself. tonight is healthy lentil soup.
One of the Ted talks had a slogan- Face your stuff, don't stuff your face- to avoid emotional eating. I have come across another quote which is essentially- eat for your future self. So I will keep that in mind today.
I get to have a change in routine today at work which is nice.
Maryann- that friend stuff is so hard. I hope things are going better.
Bill- a fresh baguette, I can't imagine how good that is.
Gardenerjoy- salad bar at Whole Foods is a treat in itself.
Karen-I do hope you try the line dancing, I have done it before and its quite fun!

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-23-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Closed Thread