Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #61  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - American novelist Jack London born: Call of the Wild, To Build a Fire (1876)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Unbelievable pleasant weather to take a 2+ mile walk around a local reservoir, CREDIT moi. There were a zillion folks out walking - more than I've ever seen at this location. The younger joggers wore only a T-shirt. Wheelchairs were out and a few walkers being pushed. Made me feel like we lived in a civilized place.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi, even with snacks. My big accomplishment for the day was to fix a "running" toilet; it wouldn't stop filling. Thanks to Google and YouTube, I found a video for our exact toilet. After days of pondering and hours of research, I cleaned things up by hand in thirty minutes to get back to the water turning off after a flush. The Geek in me is so very happy when I fix something.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Don't send us your sloppy weather; I'm just fine with a 60+ degree F balmy day.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for an easy fix with your onlay instead of the next level. Charcuterie board sounds adventurous. [Nope, I didn't find bamboo toilet paper; DW will have to keep searching or buy online.]

Penny. - You do seem to have a bunch of vegan restaurants. Kudos for making it about people instead of food.

Readers -
Quote:
day 37 Keep Up with Exercise

How You Can Change
If so, then do the following: . . .

Made sure you're doing a type of exercise you like. If you get bored with what you're doing, change it. One dieter told me that she finally hit on blasting music and strenuously dancing, all by herself, in her living room. Another dieter really disliked the exercise class she'd signed up for. She couldn't keep up. Finally, she switched to an easier class and began to enjoy it much more. A number of dieters have taken up organized sports instead of such solo exercise as running or swimming. Try out different possibilities.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 254.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave. Bad weekend food wise. If I overindulged in booze instead of food I would have a major hangover. All sorts of things trigger sadness and then I eat. Amazing the range of emotions one can go thru in one day.
On the bright side, DS passed his road test. I mean that is bad for my insurance but glad that's been accomplished, he was so happy.
Off to church and food planning/shopping, ugh.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

We got snow but not enough to worry about plowing for ourselves or the neighbors. It will all be gone tomorrow with a high of 50.

I'm going to take it as a snow day which will include baking some bread and making the citrus cabbage salad that I like.

Exercise: +30, 395/1300 minutes for January
Old 01-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #64  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was okay, just a little overbudget eating out with the vegan group. Weight bounced back up.

Bill, credit for the on plan day. Kudos for fixing the toilet!

Curly, new day, new start! For me too.

Joy, enjoy your snow day and bread baking.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:00 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Galileo Galilei discovers Callisto, 4th satellite of Jupiter (1610)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, wearing a light jacket that was too warm. It was so out of season warm. DW fretted that the plants will feel the warmth, declare that Spring has finally arrived, and burst out to get slaughtered when the cold returns. I, however, just enjoyed the day.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, which included some restraint before the table of snacks I faced at noon. I ate some; substituted that for part of my lunch. Life went on.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Alas, you need to know that a football team on the other side of your state just won an amazing game where they came back from a 24-0 deficit. Likely to dominate your newspapers this morning. If they win again next Sunday, you'll need to learn to make guacamole for Super Bowl Sunday two weeks after that.

curlyjax - Congrats to your DS for passing his road test. Ouch for the pain of a teenage driver in the house.

Penny. - I always need to be reminded that vegan includes pasta - not a weight friendly food.

Readers -
Quote:
tip!
If it's hard to make
yourself exercise first thing
in the morning, lay out your
exercise clothes the night
before. Tape Response
Cards to your bathroom
mirror. Remind yourself that
your reluctance will disap-
pear once you get started,
and you'll be glad you got
yourself to exercise.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 253.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Had a nice chat with my fellow widow friend at church. Thank goodness for her, she always m akes me laugh. I must have overdone it the day before, my hip is a bit achy. Someone else who had a hip done said he was told it would be a year before it was totally healed, which makes sense.
Today I am starting the day off with some forced gratitude. I have weighed myself for the week and am off to do my stationary bike for a few minutes, to stretch out my hip.
DS has happily driven himself to school in the old car. Those first steps of independence!
Bill- I was wondering about the trees and plants too, it has been so warm for quite a few days.
Penny-nice you have a vegan meetup group, great to share ideas etc.
Gardenerjoy-sounds like nice plans for a colder day.

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-13-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Hello from California.

I am safe and sound in my chair near my fire. I woke at 2:30 a.m. due to a toilet that was running (darn that little chain broke and why isn't BBE here to fix it.) I couldn't go back to sleep I am sure because it is 1:00 pm in Greece. So I sprang up to get some things done before the big assault of work.

First things first. I did an initial weighing. I know it will drop a little with "post airplane syndrome" but I just needed to get things down on paper. So I changed my stats here. I officially have 20 pounds to lose. I have planned a menu for today, tracked it in WW app and am posting here. Technically I need to subtract some points because my weigh in day is Friday. But I am just going to ease myself back into disciplined eating. It has literally been two months of extraordinary eating events. Healthy starts with realistic expectations. Speaking of which, I commit to yoga at 4:30. That I can do.

Penny: I am also going to to revisit Beck. I have become ridiculous on roaming and eating, for instance, and I know that many of my skills are flabby.
curleyjax: credit for weighing in and starting small on the bicycle. I feel good about this new start for all of us.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 01-13-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #68  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

We had a fun football party on Saturday, but weight is up. I thought I was being pretty careful yesterday, but the foods I ate were not the same as what I normally eat and I think probably higher calorie. I may need to send some foods out of the house. Today's plan included a ten mile hike with a friend, but I just got a text from her saying she now has the cough, so I'll figure out another hike, but probably not as long. Yesterday I hiked Tom's Thumb with a friend and the grandson of another friend. He is 20 and here from WA. I really badgered him on Saturday to come and I didn't think he would, but he did and enjoyed it. I guess a number of us are in the same boat of weight being at the higher end of the range . . . so include me in the recommitting group. I'm hoping careful planning and lots of water has me down a couple of pounds quickly.

Maryann I was glad to see you are home safe and sound. I was awake really early too, but fortunately did get back to sleep for another hour after tying there for a good bit.
Curlyjax That is great that ds is driving now, a little nerve wracking, but great. I'm so glad you have your widow friend to talk with. I'll be picking my widow friend up at the airport tomorrow (returning from Germany) and she'll stay with us a couple of days before going home to Tucson. I do wish she lived here in the Phoenix area rather than Tucson.
Bill Your weather is just crazy. I know it was warmer there than here at least one day, but it doesn't look like that is going to be true this week. We've had beautiful sunny skies, but quite cold in the morning. We had horrible football watching this weekend. Both the Vikings and the Seahawks lost.
Penny Let's hope we all see some weight trending down and soon.
GardenerJoy I'm glad you didn't get too much snow. It is so beautiful, but I would probably be afraid to drive in it anymore. It has been so long.

It's probably a good thing I'm not going on the long hike today. Otis was going to go to doggie day care and I think he'd rather stay home today. Too tired from all the company over the weekend. When I'm only gone for 3 hours or so he just stays home.

Have a great day all of you!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #69  
Green Tomatoes

Today's got a full list, mostly stuff that I want to do, not just stuff that I want done. I have a meeting tonight that brings up emotions that I find difficult to handle. I worked through the emotions over the weekend, so I'm going to aim for good distraction today. But I'll pull out my journal and other emotion-handling tools, if needed. They probably will be needed tonight or tomorrow morning as recovery. Food is not one of my tools for handling emotions.

Exercise: +30, 425/1300 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: Sorry for your football loss. I've been paying no attention at all this year. But I know some KC supporters who will be happy with that.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #70  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Joy, I made some pumpkin yeast bread and it is pretty good! Fun to have the golden color. Good luck with your meeting.

Bill, kudos for the on plan day and the Sunday walk.

Curly, credit for getting on the bicycle! Congrats to your ds. The insurance hike was a shocker for us.

Maryann, welcome back home! Kudos for jumping right back into the WW plan.

Karen, have a nice visit with your friend. She'll probably be on an interesting sleep schedule.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Getting back into the swing of things. I woke only an hour early this morning. Food was OP. I was too exhausted to yoga but I will try again today. I cooked enough lunch for three days and will food shop for sorely needed fresh stuff after work. Weight was down a little.

Penny: I love pumpkin anything and it is very WW friendly.
Karen: it seems any food that is out of the ordinary is a little problematic. Good for you in getting rid of what doesn’t work.

Wave to all.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Roald Amundsen's South Pole expedition lands on the Ross Ice Shelf (1911)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent a long evening at a meeting around a table laden with snacks. I did avoid the cheeses, CREDIT moi, but nibbled the mixed whatevers covered with salt and spices passed around in a bowl. As if being handed a bowl should increase my calorie needs for the day. Oh, Well.

Made it to the library to return a book on time after I took the bold for me however obvious step of reading just the two chapters that really interested me. I'd been dawdling with the book for the two weeks it'd been in my hands. Renewal wasn't an option because there was a waiting list. I finally admitted that I wasn't reading it because it contained some fifteen chapters of only minor interest to me and two toward the end that I really wanted to read. I needed my brain to give me permission to read the chapters of interest. I'm still working on my childhood admonitions that I have to read every word of a book.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that you have the notion of "emotion-handling tools," and are fully aware that food isn't one of them.

maryann - Thanks for "Healthy starts with realistic expectations."

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for being able to hike with a 20 year-old. Ouch for having two teams lose in one day.

curlyjax - Yay for your DS taking his first solo trip to school in the old car. Kudos to you for letting him go.

Penny. - Glad to hear that the pumpkin season isn't over yet.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
The same types of thoughts that interfere with dieting can also interfere with exercising. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: It's okay to skip exercising today because I don't want to, I'm tired, and I'm too stressed out.
Helpful Response: It's not okay. Exercise is an essential part of losing weight and maintaining my weight loss.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 254.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #73  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight a tiny bit down. I hiked Bell Pass which is about 7 1/2 miles and it felt good. It is so cold here in the morning just now, but heading up that hill warms me quickly and then it just warms up during the time it takes to hike. I wore a daypack, so I would have a place to put some clothes when I needed to take off a layer. I'm getting ready to get out and do a shorter hike today too. My backpacking buddy wants to schedule some pretty long hikes to get us on track for summer, so I had better keep moving. Afternoon plans include taking Otis to the vet for a bordatella vaccine and a hair appointment for me, then I'll pick up my friend at the airport this evening. Otis has a couple of booster vaccines that he needs, but I'm splitting them up so he doesn't feel as bad. The vet is nearby, so it's no big deal except that Otis may not like going.

Bill It would be difficult to sit around a snack laden table for long. Glad you decided you didn't need to read the whole book. I'm sure we all have a lot of self imposed rules that are unnecessary.
Maryann That's pretty good that you only woke up an hour early. Now if you can keep from putting your head down on the desk this afternoon.
Penny Glad to hear you are back on plan.
GardenerJoy I hope your meeting went well without as much emotion as expected.

Well I guess I'll get dressed and out the door before I talk myself out of it. You all have a great day.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #74  
Green Tomatoes

Last night's meeting didn't have the emotional triggers I expected. Everything was on a more intellectual plane. I handle that much better, but there is a danger that I'll ruminate on intellectual arguments and forget to notice that I have other ways to put my brain to work that will yield results, not just spinning in circles. So, I'll try to pay attention to my thoughts today and redirect them as needed.

Exercise: +40, 465/1300 minutes for January
Old 01-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #75  

Good morning!

Yesterday was a smidge overbudget and weight is holding.

I had my second banjo class and it's amazing how many students come in late. More fun things to practice this week.

Have a great day, everyone!
Closed Thread