Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #16  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is coming down. Yoga was less crowded than it usually is, so I guess people are giving it another week to get back to it.

Joy, yay for a good check-up. I hope the labs are good.

Bill, yay for a good book to distract you from extra snacking. I went to the library too and was surprised by how busy it was, much busier than the gym.

CJZee, good job maintaining over the holiday and keeping up with your training sessions.

Karen, it's nice to have some confirmation for how far you have come in your fitness. Have a great solo hike today!

Curly, that is so great your pain is resolving and movement is improved. The book kind of sounds like that Atomic Habits book.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The labs were normal, except slightly high for potassium and calcium. The doctor doesn't seem worried about that, so I'll assume that's fine. When I've paid attention to micronutrients in the past, those were two that I wasn't sure I was getting enough of in my diet.

Exercise: +45, 90/1300 minutes for January
Old 01-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Columbia University founded, as Kings College (1754, New York City)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Evening's entertainment was the 1940 DVD The Philadelphia Story with Gary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and James Stewart. That was made 80 years ago! Can't believe how young those guys looked. The story is so cliché that not much acting is called for. And not much was given, LOL. Just three pretty faces talking nonstop for nearly two hours. Glad I saw it. Wouldn't recommend unless one was studying the history of film. It was, of course, in black and white.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner was, yet another, round with the black eyed peas over white rice. Again it was just wonderful - chock full of childhood memories. The Christmas tree is on the curb. DW wanted it gone - as in GONE - so she could get her life back in order. I prefer to leave it up at least to mid January. I never win that one since I'm not the person who decorates or un-decorates it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for having good blood tests. Since Potassium is part of our heart-beat, I've always been concerned that I didn't have enough. Therefore, I've self-prescribed a banana a day which, I assume, is the non-a-fix to my not-a-problem.

Karen (karenrn) - Your hiking alone reminds me of the recent news that a hiker from Texas was spotted along the New Hance Trail of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon after being missing for eleven days. Hope you always leave bread crumbs. Or take your fancy phone with you.

curlyjax - Thanks for the reference to “microresolutions” - it does sound neat to make resolutions that we can meet.

Penny. - Yay for uncrowded yoga. Maybe getting in shape in January is old think.

CJZee - Kudos for "Still doing the personal training twice a week" - that's just great.

Readers -
Quote:
day 37 Keep Up with Exercise

How Claire Changed

After a few weeks, Claire started to get a sense of mastery. Soon she felt comfortable enough to stop working with a personal trainer and start working out on her own. She transformed her view of herself from a person who "knew" she was weak, had no stamina, and was incapable of sustaining an exercise program, to a person who kept getting stronger and stronger and knew for sure she would keep it up for life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 253.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Not much going on here. I spent all day at home except for doing a short walk around the block. Today will be another exciting day of housework and chores. I may go buy another printer, ours is clearly on the fritz. My micro resolution is no eating after 8-which I broke yesterday because I was really hungry at 10:00. But I'm starting it up again. And I need to rethink lunches at work, I'm getting sick of salad. Lunch needs to be something cold since I don't always have a way to heat things up, but nutritious.
CJZee- good to see you again!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

I got a call from the doctor's office about the high calcium number. The assumption is that I was dehydrated since it was fasting blood test. I'm to get it tested again in four to six weeks, just to be sure. In the meantime, I'm supposed to drink more water -- which was my New Year's Resolution, anyway. A tiny amount of internet research (I'm stopping now) says that there is a condition of too much calcium and it can cause kidney stones among other things -- so lots of water seems prudent.

Exercise: +35, 125/1300 minutes for January
Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #21  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

It was a challenge to not overeat but I am reading through Beck again and reminded how to talk back to myself.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Samuel Beckett's "En Attendant Godot" premieres (1953, Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - 'Twas a slow day where most activity was puttering around the house. DW still has a terrible cold with sore throat. She's started reading the book about dog sledding in minus 60 degrees F and diphtheria in Alaska. Seems like the wrong book in her state, LOL.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Lunch was a chicken salad sandwich constructed to make the last of the rotisserie chicken breast go away. That's chicken breast assigned to me by whatever rules happen in this house. It was really good - especially on toasted pecan cranberry bread. I made enough that I declared that half would be for a later sandwich. CREDIT moi for making a sane choice. Unfortunately, I raved about it. DW, in her sickly state, asked to have it. Gone for the common good. Lesson learned: Don't brag about a good thing.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - More water is good. Kidney stones are bad. Like, real bad. Yay for working to avoid them.

curlyjax - Good luck with your quest for a new printer. The good news is that they're really inexpensive. The bad news is that they talk to their mother ship over the Internet on their own.

Penny. - Yay for reading about talking yourself into sane eating.

Readers -
Quote:

How You Can Change

Is there something that stops you from getting consistent exercise? Like Clair, do you view yourself as a non-exerciser? Do you fail to solve problems because you don't really want to exercise?

Old 01-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #23  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I've been able to stick with my food plan and weight is going down. I've been a bit hungry and trying to find the right balance of food, but not too much. We went out to our local bar for burgers last night and I had a few fries, but took the bread off most of my burger. Down a tiny bit more this morning. I'm hiking Pinnacle Peak this morning with a friend and that should be a good test to let me know if I'm ready for the hike with the group tomorrow. It's a 10 mile hike one way with a key swap, so I can't just turn around and go back to my own car.

Bill I can see why dw wanted the chicken salad sandwich. It sounds delicious, especially on that bread.
Penny Yay for on plan days.
GardenerJoy Lots of water is an easy fix. I hope that solves the problem.
Curlyjax It sure would be nice if we had personal chefs that made really delicious food for us that changed out to keep it interesting. My problem is dinners, but I did get out some recipes yesterday to get some new items in the mix.
CJZee Good to see you back!
Old 01-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #24  

Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget and weight is back up. The fridge was empty of prepared foods and I finally made the pizza dh bought ingredients for. It is a triggering food and I guess I can't have it in the house right now.

Bill, the sandwich sounds good! I hope your wife gets over the cold quickly.

Joy, I hope the repeat labs show improvement. Good idea to increase your water.

Karen, you're doing great! Have a great hike!

Curly, walking around the block sounds like great progress! For work lunches, I have a soup thermos that works well for warmed up foods. I have crammed all kinds of things in there.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/169/ 157

Height: 5'6

Hello from Athens!

A full day at the amazing Acropolis Museum after a morning at the Parthenon. Getting there when it just opened on a rainy Sunday meant we were nearly alone. The trip has been patchy. I don’t love it here nearly the way I loved Ireland. I have been bold trying new foods with limited success.

Glad to have together time with boys. Glad to wonder at the human potential as people did such incredible things knowing so little. So much will happen in my future.

I am eating too many sweets and will have a reckoning when I get home but for now focusing on small portions, not finishing what is on my plate if it is not worth the calories, and getting lots of steps. Tomorrow is spa day since it will be raining. Super grateful for my life and all its opportunities.

Wave to all

Last edited by maryann; 01-05-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

Checking in late just because I got involved in my projects this morning. It's good to live my life, but it's also good to stay attentive to doing the things that work for me and avoiding the things that don't. Cabbage salad works for me, so I'm going to go make some. I've been meaning to get to that all morning and it hasn't happened yet.

Exercise: +30, 155/1300 minutes for January

maryann: glad to see that you're safely in Greece!
Old 01-06-2020, 02:41 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/169/ 157

Height: 5'6

Rain today. It is a National Holiday - the Epiphany. DS and I are going to the Cycladic Museum. DH is happy to sit out and get a massage with downtime. Tomorrow is the Peloponnesus area and then Delphi.

I have tried to eat lots of veggies. 16,000 steps yesterday.

Gardenerjoy: Veggie prep is always key to my healthy eating habits.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Alfred Wegener presents theory of continental drift (1912, Frankfurt)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - DW is still recovering from her cold, choosing not to get out of the house. The house received the brunt of her suffering. First, the clutter in the cabinet under the kitchen sink was all removed. She found three (that's 3.0) bottles of liquid dish soap - that's in addition to the bottle of Ivory that sits atop the counter for daily use. "Use these next. I want them gone." Then the freezer. "This bacon is dated 2013. It's outta here." And then, "Have you any idea what this is?" I meekly denied knowing even of the existence of a mysterious brown substance carefully packaged and frozen in a quart container. "Along with its buddy, it's gone." We donated a bunch to the street pickup of compostable materials for this morning's pickup since our compost doesn't do meat products that attract animals.

Told a friend about the 1925 Diphtheria serum sled run book The Cruelest Miles. She teaches in grade school. "I know that story. I read it to my kids all the time." I learned that there are a dozen books about Balto for little kids and grammar school kids. Apparently, I'm the last person on earth to learn the story.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for being involved with your life.

maryann - Ευτυχισμένο περπάτημα για την Αθήνα. Είμαι ζηλότυπος για το ταξίδι σας στην Ελλάδα.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the level of coordination required for a "key swap" ten mile hike.

Penny. - Do admire that you do pizza from scratch. It's a hard-to-control food for sure.

Readers -
Quote:

How You Can Change
If so, then do the following: . . .

Focus on how you'll feel after you finish exercising, not on how you feel at the moment. Remind yourself that the hardest part is just getting started.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #29  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in to say food was on plan, but weight was up a bit. Heading out to walk Otis and then hike Bell Pass. I decided after yesterday's hike that I wasn't ready for the group hike today. The leader goes at
a pretty good clip and I don't feel up to that. I'll keep working at it. You all have a good start to the week. Good to hear from you Maryann.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I’m going back to work Weds, so I have only two more free days, boo. It’s been so lovely to have so much leisure time, especially in the mornings. I have gotten really nothing done but a little sorting out, but time to ponder has been great.
Yesterday was a nice day of connections at church, and then seeing a friend later on. I still get the Sunday night blues, I need to work on that. But I feel so much physically better and know it will just continue.
Maryann- thanks for the travelogue! Trying new foods is definitely fun.
Bill- Bacon from 2013, wow! Cleaning out the freezer is very satisfying.
Gardenerjoy-I’m a cabbage salad fan too, but more in the warm weather.
Penny-soup thermos is an excellent idea, thanks. Maybe I will start bringing tea too, the Dunkin Donuts coffee isn’t doing it for me.
Karen-good that you are out hiking again. Colds can really knock one out.

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-06-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Closed Thread