3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/318321-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-december-2019-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

karenrn 12-11-2019 04:16 PM

Just a quick check in from me. Food is on plan and weight is stable. I was going to try to cut back on quantities a bit, but with the baking I'm doing I think it is better to be eating a little more of the real food and leaving the baking alone. I'm afraid if I allow myself to be more hungry I'll get in to the goodies, which I haven't done and don't want to do. I'm thinking of Curlyjax today and hoping her surgery goes smoothly and perhaps is over. My husband was standing up on his new hip on day of surgery. I hope she does that well. I know these days some people go home the day of surgery, unbelievable.

BillBlueEyes 12-12-2019 06:25 AM

Thursday - UN accepts 6 Manhattan blocks as a gift from John D. Rockefeller Jr (1946)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Once again, the Boston Museum of Science made itself an extraordinary adventure. She absorbed full-time one-on-one activity with a docent with a stack of bones to be assembled into an ape - a tough job for a little kid to recognize a leg bone from an arm bone. With patience, she was led to do it. Even figured out which end of the backbone went to the skull and which to the pelvis. I just couldn't believe the concentration. Then, once assembled, interest evaporated and off to the next thing.

Evening entertainment was members night at the Harvard Museum of Natural History where we were led down three flights of stairs to the bowels where graduate students are kept hidden with the dried herbs. We were fed top-shelf open faced sandwiches. I made dinner out of a couple of thinly sliced roast beef wrapped around a scallion - a good combo. Fortunately, we had to leave for our tour before I ate all the cookies laid out.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for surviving any restaurant experience.

maryann - Ouch for the glitches in life that challenge us. Kudos for staying in the game. At the herbarium, one of the chosen displays was their 1897 example of Juglans regia, which I call the walnut but apparently also is called: the Persian walnut, English walnut, Carpathian walnut, Madeira walnut, or especially in Great Britain, common walnut. It's been around for a while. Is that what you grow?

Karen (karenrn) - Smart to realize that you can't allow yourself to get hungry.

curlyjax - Waving. Hope you are in gentle recovery.

Penny. - Good grief! You're nailing the fiber game. Just looked it up: The American Heart Association recommends a minimum of 25-30 grams a day. Two avocados sounds like a luxury.

Readers -
Quote:

day 36 Deal with a Plateau

Today, I'm not talking about short-lived plateaus. I'm talking about more lengthy plateaus that span a few weeks or longer. The most likely explanation for these plateaus is that your body no longer needs as much energy (caloris) as you've been taking in.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 248.

karenrn 12-12-2019 07:19 AM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is down a little more than a pound. I am hungry this morning, so that's a good thing. Just fluctuating in my range, but good to be down a little. I did make 4 pans of Seven layer cookies yesterday. This morning I'm hiking Tom's Thumb and then home to do more baking. I have a list of the things I plan to make and hopefully will get it all done in the next couple of days and then get things distributed or mailed.

Bill Good job not eating all the cookies. I think cookies are my most favorite food in the world, or at least it seems like it right now. If I am every a very old lady I will eat lots of them.
Penny That's a lot of fiber. I think I'd have to work up to that and I suppose you have too.
GardenerJoy I'm also glad I don't go to restaurants often. It would be difficult not to overeat at least if they were good restaurants.
Maryann I hope today is a better day for you.
Curlyjax Thinking of you and hoping you're on the mend already.

maryann 12-12-2019 09:29 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Karen: Wow! That is a lot of cookies. I bet it will feel good to get them out of the kitchen and out of sight. Quite an accomplishment to not dive into them.
BBE: We have Hartleys, Chandlers, Franquettes, and some others. I know the dreaded black walnut is what we are pulling out because they harbor the "hussfly" which is nearly impossible to eradicate. Interestingly enough, the Chinese have lots of black walnuts but still import ours because they dry them by smoke and it affects the taste.

Thinking of Curleyjax and all the rest of us working and thriving in this season.

Despite several freak outs to my husband, I made it OP yesterday. I was also able to not scream at my son who did not respond within the week grace period (sent in an email he didn't open) given to him by University of Washington to clarify a units question in foreign language. They closed his app and won't consider him. Wow!

I told him "This process is an opportunity for growth." Boy, it sure is for me. I just think I am on edge about it because people are "judging my son." In any case, I, for today, seemed to have straightened out the others, taught 100 kids without taking it out on them, and finally opened my new yoga dvd. I call the day a win.

Penny. 12-12-2019 11:20 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was a bit overbudget and weight is at the top of my 4 pound holding range.

My daughter and I tried ice skating and had a lot of fun. It was her first time, and my first time without the skates hurting my feet.

Maryann, that's too bad about your son's missed opportunity. I hope it wasn't the fav on the list.

Bill, what a great day with dgd! Interesting walnut info too.

Karen, credit for the on plan day and not eating the cookies. Have a great hike!

gardenerjoy 12-12-2019 11:56 AM

I had a once-a-year Christmas treat yesterday. The thing is, I think I said last year that I was going to quit having that particular treat because it's not what I really want it to be. I want it to be a similar, but different, treat that I discovered in high school when my metabolism could handle it. It's not that.

So, I think what I want is to indulge in Christmas-themed teas during the season. I'll find that much more satisfying and it's what my metabolism can handle now. Making a note to put in my Tickler file for December....

Exercise: +45, 395/1200 minutes for December

BillBlueEyes 12-13-2019 05:04 AM

Friday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the library picked up not one, but TWO reserved books. What joy lies ahead. I'm a kid with new books. Big problem when I got home before dinner: DW had banged her knee and was pondering whether to go to the emergency room or wait and see. She decided to wait; I won't know for a few hours if she's able to get out of bed this morning. I'm reduced to being a support pack mule carrying everything up and down stairs that she can't manage. Perhaps this is training for when one of us becomes less mobile. Incapacitated, we watched the DVD Arctic. Pretty stark affair to be stranded alone on the snow.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. I had an afternoon event from 2pm to 4pm. What an odd hour for an event serving food. I did only OK. One walking appetizer was a small crab cake topped with a swirl of smoked salmon. It was so good. And fish is good for me, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the reminder that our metabolisms require us to adjust our food rituals.

maryann - Ouch for the travails of watching your DS work the application process. This growing up business is hard.

Karen (karenrn) - That's a lot of cookies to have to avoid indulging in.

Penny. - Yay for passing along the fun of ice skating. Skates that fit are just the best.

Readers -
Quote:

day 36 Deal with a Plateau

If you hit one of these longer plateaus, you have four options:

1. Continue to do what you're doing and see if you start to lose weight again.
2. Reduce your daily calorie intake by 200 calories, which should allow you to lose about a half pound per week. (Check with your health-care professional first to make sure it's reasonable to cut down some more.)
3. Increase your daily exercise by 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Call this your goal weight and move into maintenance.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 248.

karenrn 12-13-2019 08:50 AM

Just a quick check in this morning. Food was on plan yesterday and I hiked Tom's Thumb with a friend who comes to town once or twice a year from NJ. I didn't really get any baking done yesterday, but I made a recipe of chocolate chip cookie dough that is in the fridge. Today I am making spritz, pecan tassies, short bread, and Russian teacakes with a hershey kiss in the middle. I was going to make molasses cookies, but I think those are my favorite and probably a bigger temptation than the others, so they are off the menu for now. I have eaten breakfast and I will have my trusty water bottle next to me. My plan is to drink plenty of water and keep my mitts out of the sweets. It isn't that I won't have one at some point, but not today. I'll let you know how it goes.

janateach 12-13-2019 09:15 AM

Hi all!

Joining the Beck diet train (again). My story: I had hyperemesis with both my pregnancies and nursed both kids for a year + after. Being constantly sick and yet constantly hungry and then eating extra as I nursed changed my historically thin eating habits for the worse. I'm 15 pounds overweight and I want to learn to change my behaviors so that I'm in a good BMI range. I did Beck plus calorie counting between my kids and that worked well. But life, and a divorce, and single parenting and a new marriage kept me busy and way too busy to commit to anything above survival. Now I'm married and my spouse works an 8-5 and I have support at home and I can focus on taking care of myself, too.

So far, I'm stopped on day 6 - find a diet coach, so here I am.
I'm doing ok on reading my response cards, but still looking for a good system. (Phone reminders don't seem to be working). I'm struggling to sit down to eat and to eat slowly, so I'm going to stall here a bit until I get that habit better (and school ends for the term - I'm a teacher). Then I'll move on to 7-11 (still dreading day 11!! - skip a meal!).

Penny. 12-13-2019 09:49 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is in the usual range.

My three day work weekend begins and I'll need to fight off my evening munchies.

Joy, christmas teas sound like a good idea.

Bill, I hope your wife's knee is okay. Yay for new library books!

Karen, that is a long list of baking for the day! Maybe some vapo rub on the upper lip would help keep the temptation at bay.

Janateach, welcome to the group!

maryann 12-13-2019 09:51 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome, Janateach! I am a teacher as well. My current incarnation is high school history but I have taught K-12. Sitting while eating has been one of my greatest challenges. Thank you for reminding me that is my goal for today.

Gardenerjoy: I like the idea of holiday food that fits with the season but also fits with my metabolism. I have begun making a pumpkin oatmeal that is very tasty and fits well in my food program. To me it is just a crustless pumpkin pie.
BBE: Hope DW's knee is better.
Karen: Credit decision to not make your favorite cookie. I feel like those choices are the big deals.
Penny: I like ice skating although I think I am past those days. I would rather save my injury poossible sports to downhill and cross country skiing.

As for me, weight is a pound above ticker on weigh in day. It is what it is. I am sticking with this program. I know I can be successful. I also know that if it is so hard to lose two pounds, I don't want to gain five pounds.

gardenerjoy 12-13-2019 11:48 AM

I want to continue noticing that I've had plenty of energy this week except for Monday.

Today's energy will mostly go into cooking and errands, plus a flurry of activities that I can do now that I pestered someone into calling me back (after three weeks of trying). The project that I wanted to get moving -- getting several school districts to work together on deciding how discipline data can be used internally and reported externally to solve disparities -- finally has a plan for how to get the initial meeting to happen.

And, I have food plan of meals that I'm looking forward to eating.

Exercise: +30, 425/1200 minutes for December

Welcome, janateach!

curlyjax 12-13-2019 01:22 PM

quick wave coaches. I had a good surgery and am home recovering. Thaks goodness my B in law was here to help. he went home today and i feel much more prepared. I am feeling very blotto from all the meds and its a fulltime job to keep that straight, and do the PT gentle stretching, icing, etc.everyone says to keep ahead of the pain and take your meds on time so i'm trying to, although of course it changes with naps, sleeping etc. i'm so glad i bought the sock aide, reacher and toilet seat ahead of time.
I am so sleepy! I hope i didn't accidently take two pills of celecoxib at once. I don't want to sleep all day and then not sleep at night but boy i'm drowsy. more later-

karenrn 12-13-2019 01:24 PM

So glad to hear from you Curleyjax . Heal, heal, heal!

BillBlueEyes 12-14-2019 06:46 AM

Welcome Janateach Welcome

:welcome: Janateach :welcome:

And, in honor of your first post, :wel3fc:

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?