3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/318210-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-november-2019-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 11-01-2019 05:09 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

BillBlueEyes 11-01-2019 05:11 AM

Friday - Michelangelo's paintings on ceiling of Sistine Chapel first exhibited (1512)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Survived Halloween, albeit with more sampled candies than I wished, but less than I might have. CREDIT moi for what I did. Predicted weather was for fierce winds and heavy rain. Just didn't happen. Folks came by with no rain jackets and no umbrellas. One father, who incidentally came to the porch and took his own candy, was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Everyone was in a playful mood because they felt that they'd tricked the rain gods. A good evening. At 9:00 our stash of candy was gone and we happily turned off the first floor lights and escaped upstairs.

I survived another class. The group is coming together. Questions are becoming frequent and folks in the class offer answers to those questions that are opinions. My charts deliberately sought to raise the questions; life's too short to think I know the answers. We had a good day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your Dear Evan Hansen looks neat. Yay for an event without the draw of food.

maryann - Neat that you celebrate Dias de los Muertos. Glad that you don't like donuts - that makes one corner of life easier.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for continuing to help your friend unload. I can imagine that it's emotional for her.

Penny. - Surviving a party in your own house is a challenge.

CJZee - Yay for being done with the unwanted house. I've never heard of an insurance agent serving cupcakes.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

Below is what Brenda wrote in her diet notebook to remind herself of how far she'd come. She added to this list over time. Whenever she had a crisis of confidence, she would read it over to remind herself just how much she had changed.

Before I started this program, I couldn't consistently: . . .

Eat sitting down.
Recognize and respond to my sabotaging thoughts.
Give myself credit.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 241.

curlyjax 11-01-2019 06:53 AM

First time I have ever skipped Halloween in all my years and I must say I enjoyed it. I went to my man friends for dinner, and DS went to a friends house with the rest of the candy. He informed me today is unofficial senior skip day so he’s sleeping in.
Yesterday i looked at some job ads as I still do occasionally just to see what’s out there- and I noticed the job I almost got earlier in the year is being advertised again. I left a message on the directors voicemail; I just figured I would enquire. It’s so close to home, fun and easier than what i’m doing now. I’m sure nothing will come of it, but it gave me helped me realize I do ultimately want to do look for something else.
Karen- you are so nice to help your friend, i’m sure she really appreciates it. I haven’t sorted out much yet but am slowly working on things like books.
CJZee- glad things are getting back to normal. Cupcakes at insurance agent, goodness! Maybe she was trying to get rid of them herself.
Bill-glad class is going well, i’m sure your expectations of yourself are higher than your students.
Maryann- skull origami sounds very fun!
Gardenerjoy- that musical sounds great, we’re singing one of the songs in my choir.

karenrn 11-01-2019 09:07 AM

Good morning coaches,

Another good day for both food and exercise. My friend bought some candy for halloween but no trick or treaters showed up and I didn't touch it. I always know I do better if I don't start. I pretty much didn't have any sweets in October as was my goal. I did have cinnamon toast one day and a chocolate protein powder/peanut butter concoction that were a couple of off plan eats. I'll give myself credit anyway. Yesterday we got some boxes mailed with things to family, donations made to the rescue mission and returns to stores of leftover tile and a lamp. I also fixed the disposal with the Incinerator wrench which I purchased at the hardware store. More of the room was gone thru too. I've actually enjoyed doing this especially because we've gone to the gym two days, had some good visits and I like being busy and am so appreciated. I really know this is not going to get done without help and I'm the nearest help. I'm thinking if we can coordinate times I'll come down once a month until the job is done. There is still a storage unit once the condo is completed.

Curlyjax It's the first time I haven't done Halloween too. I had made the decision even before I came down here that we weren't doing it and dh was just going to close the shutters and shut off the outdoor lights. I'll have to check with him this morning to see how it went. I know you are busy and it is so much with work and your children, but I'll tell you seeing my friend who is retired and only daughter is in Germany I think it is better to be busy with things you have to do. I wish I were closer, I would help you too.
Bill I'm so glad the weather was good for your area. How many weeks is your class? I bet you are doing a great job.
CJZee I'm sorry the sciatica is acting up so badly. It sounds like you and I are doing the same thing, getting rid of stuff.
Penny How was the Halloween party?
GardenerJoy I am also hoping you get a good report from your mil.
Maryann Have a great long weekend, even though it does include doctor's appointments.

I've got to say I'm so glad it is November 1st. My two month long Garmin Challenges are over. It looks like I won them both with 455,500 steps. I did have a couple of days off each week and then these past 4 days have been lower steps due to being here in Tucson. I spent more time hiking on some days to make up for shorter days and I really want to focus on a little less time on the exercise and a little more time on other things. I have a close friend coming from Canada on the 5th. She used to live in Scottsdale part time and we did so much together. It will be good to see her. She won't be staying with me except maybe a very short time.

Happy Friday to all of you!

Penny. 11-01-2019 10:06 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget and weight is holding.

The party was fun and I only had one of my kids still wanting to ToT. Luckily, we had one other friend to go with. My daughter was a chicken, and the friend was a die. They decorated a box and cut holes for arms. So cool!

Today starts my first weekend back to work after a month off. Luckily my sleep schedule has been adjusted.

CJZee, good to read your update. It sounds like you are rocking the diet! Credit for missing all of those sweets obstacles.

Karen, I'm glad you are having a good time helping your friend. I bought a box of the White Claw to try at the party and ick ick, not for me. lol

Bill, lucky to have the good weather for Halloween. Lol at the dad in shorts having some candy.

Curly, it's kinda fun being a rebel and skipping the holiday, isn't it? It's my turn to work Thanksgiving and I get a little excited thinking about having to skip the family gathering. Haha! Shhh!

Maryann, I wasn't as strong with the donuts, and ate two! I think I'm not much of a sweet tooth, but then the lemon filled one gets me.

gardenerjoy 11-01-2019 11:02 AM

I met my October exercise goal -- CREDIT!

No Halloween candy for me. It's easy now that the next-door neighbor kids grew into high school and beyond. Our house is down a very narrow and dark tiny street. Only the next-door neighbor kids were ever brave enough to venture down it on Halloween.

Exercise: +30, 1200/1200 minutes for October

BillBlueEyes 11-02-2019 06:36 AM

Saturday - DH Lawrence's "Lady Chatterley's Lover" cleared of obscenity (1960)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Watched the Joker in the local theater in a 'leather' seat that reclined almost to prone. I'd rank it as one of the least interesting movies I've been to. Much violence and dystopia - happens in New York during its garbage strike. Was there for an odd reason. The movie The Gift that DW and I really wanted to see had signs up stating that it was SOLD OUT. I asked at the ticket window and found that they had EXACTLY one seat left. So, I let DW have that and I had to choose from whatever was both playing at that theater and ended about the same time as DW's. Chose Joker. Oh, Well.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. I shopped while ignoring the call of the Halloween candy at bargain prices. I recalled the helpful reminder given me here after a previous Halloween that the candy was certainly VERY old. Whatever it takes to made sane choices.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for meeting your October exercise challenge, but Super Kudos for that no-candy Halloween.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for an October without sweets. Congrats for winning your two month long Garmin Challenges.

curlyjax - Happy unofficial senior skip day to your DS. Whatever it takes to get them through.

Penny. - Neat that you still have one kid who can do trick or treat.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

Below is what Brenda wrote in her diet notebook to remind herself of how far she'd come. She added to this list over time. Whenever she had a crisis of confidence, she would read it over to remind herself just how much she had changed.

Before I started this program, I couldn't consistently: . . .

Limit myself when I ate out.
Be assertive with food pushers.
Put myself first so I could eat properly.

karenrn 11-02-2019 06:59 AM

Good morning coaches,

I woke up extremely early and after lying there for a bit decided just to get up. I've got the second load of laundry going and I've done my daily and monthly plan for my PNP (diet) stuff and the checkbook is balanced. The grocery list is also made and I'll vote here shortly. What can I say but that I fell asleep early and I'm happy that I'm home. Yesterday my friend and I loaded her van with things she is taking to California next week for friends and did a little more sorting and throwing before I left. I felt good that the place looked a lot better than when I arrived and she seemed happier. The drive home was uneventful and I finished listening to an audiobook which makes the two hour drive go quickly. Otis and dh were both thrilled to have me home. My dh played golf frequently with my friends husband who died and he is totally on board with me going down as long as it takes to help her get organized. Even though I don't have anywhere near as many photos, dishes, etc. it does help reinforce that I want to thin things out and am happy to be doing the decluttering class.

Bill The Joker isn't one on my list. Too bad there wasn't something better, but like you said oh, well.
GardenerJoy Good job hitting the exercise goal even with extra time spent with mil. It's so nice not to have the Halloween candy. I like to think I will only eat really good chocolates, but the fact is if I got started on a bag of candy I could easily overeat it.
Penny Wow you have had a long time off work. I'm glad you are back on schedule with your sleep before having to go back. Sorry you didn't like the White Claw. What flavor did you try? My favorite is the grapefruit. It's selling off the shelves here, well actually lots of places they can't keep it stocked.

Well, moving on to voting now. You all have a great day!

maryann 11-02-2019 08:50 AM

Good Morning,

Karen, maybe you and I are the only two people up at 4:00 am this morning! It is funny that on work days I have to drag myself out of bed.

Th drs appt represented yet another attempt to solve some med issues. I’m a little down about it but I was assured it was not more serious. The new treatment will last months so I must be patient. Credit that I see there is no reason to eat over it.

I have started the month with a more defined food plan. Yesterday was completely OP. November is a gratitude month and I committed to daily tracking my food and doing the physical therapy I was given yesterday. I believe gratitude is an action. I also went to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting last night. I started in OA thirty years ago. I am not sure if I will be a regular but it feels good to be taking some decisive action because I am really stalled with my weight at 170.

I will spend today with my favorite puttering activities and trying new recipes for the week.

Penny: I hope the transition back to work is easy.
Curleyjax: it is always good to keep and eye out for opportunity.
CJZee: credit for moving forward with the sciatica treatment.

Wave to all.

curlyjax 11-02-2019 09:58 AM

I am enjoying a leisurely morning drinking coffee with my laptop in bed. I have been thinking long and hard about this other job and I think I will apply for it. The director called me back and said she doesn’t know who is applying but she would be happy to look at me again. My concern is that I can’t take off a lot of time applying for this- last time it was 3 interviews!-and I expressed that concern which she understood, but its up to HR. I’m having this hip surgery but frankly it takes forever for the interview process, and I don’t see them hiring anyone until after the holidays when I should be good to go. I’m not going to get my hopes up- its my dream job and its ten minutes from my house! But they are super picky.
Maryann- thanks for the reminder that November is gratitude month, I will think about incorporating that into my life too.
Karen- it is definitely better to be busy, that is true. Woo, you are on a roll this morning!
Bill-good reminder that leftover Halloween candy is old. I’ve had my fill anyhow.
Penny-I hear you about skipping the family gathering, ha! Good luck with getting back into the flow.
Gardenerjoy-yay for exercise goal being met.

Penny. 11-02-2019 10:06 AM

Good morning!

I had my come to Buddha moment on the scale this morning when it nudged up a pound again.

Halved my breakfast and cutting calories, reading my Beck advantage notes. After my work weekend I'll wean off the coffee again, which I had let back into my life for traveling. I had to try that Turkish coffee!

Joy, great job on the exercise goals! How did MIL do on her own?

Bill, it sounds like the theater chairs were at least good for a nap. Sorry you missed the one you wanted.

Karen, welcome back home! It was the grapefruit one I had, and I think I just don't like the alcohol taste. Wimpy me!

Maryann, I hope the med adjustments are indeed not that big of a deal for you. I want November to be on plan too. Let's do this!

Curly, that sounds exciting and stressful with the timing of your recovery. Hoping it can work out for you, it sounds perfect.

maryann 11-02-2019 05:10 PM

Mid afternoon check in. I spent three hours shopping for foods on my new plan and another two cooking up for the week. I have one recipe left - a chickpea feta cake salad.

Two of the recipes were sweet stuff slimmed to take the place of the candy binging thing. They were both very healthy and satisfying. Again, part of the recipe magic is portion control. The plan tells me what a serving is and I mentally say “You’re kidding,right?”

I am in it to win it, though and have tracked the day. Whoop!

BillBlueEyes 11-03-2019 05:09 AM

Sunday - Spain acquires Louisiana (1762)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - When in dire need of food after dinner, while ruminating about crackers and peanuts, I remembered that there was a California orange in the fridge. Had it. Felt good about my eating choice, CREDIT moi.

Exercise was walking, CREDIT moi, out to find fried chicken for dinner. Not exactly low calorie, but it was planned. DW had abandoned me for dinner and she's not fond of fried chicken; naturally, when she's not here, I try to eat the foods that I love that she doesn't. In the supermarket I walked past the shopping cart of Halloween candy jumbled into a pile without even prices on it. Like it was just rubbish to be discarded. What a wonderful image. Then I saw why. They had put out the Christmas candy already. My head is just not ready for chocolate santas yet.

maryann - Yay for a puttering day after a week of teaching. Cooking for two hours is rather serious 'puttering'.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for being a good friend and helping remove your friend's clutter. Yep, we need reminders that we don't need so much stuff.

curlyjax - Applying for that job that's closer to home seems like another step going forward. Ouch for the burdensome interview process.

Penny. - Now you got me drooling for Turkish coffee. Have to work on where to get it around here.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 36 Believe It

what are you thinking?

Are you like Brenda? Do you sometimes doubt your ability to keep making progress? If so, it's important to respond to your sabotaging thoughts. Perhaps they're similar to some of these. Create Response Cards for any you think you might need. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: If I start to believe that I can do this, I'll jinx myself.

Helpful Response: On the contrary, if I believe I can't do this, then I'm likely to run into trouble when dieting gets tougher. If I build up my confidence, I'll be able to keep plugging away.

curlyjax 11-03-2019 07:44 AM

I forgot about daylight savings, yay! An extra hour comes in handy. I have no excuse for being late to church today. Yesterday I did some sorting and found a gift card from Amazon, double yay. I started work on the job app and did lots of laundry. My priority now is cleaning up so it will be easier to get around when I have surgery, and also for when DD comes home for winter break with a lot of stuff:) But I need to get back to better eating.
Penny- come to Buddha moment, love it! Turkish coffee does sound fabulous.
Maryann-I hear you, sometimes those servings are tiny. Chickpea salad thing sounds good
Bill-yes, way too early for chocolate Santas. Good job on the orange

Penny. 11-03-2019 09:38 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

The car is acting up and it seems the connection to the battery is not so good. I've had to pop the hood and tug on the cable to bring it back from the dead a few times now. I just need to get through work today and then I need to figure out where I will take it tomorrow.

Maryann, bravo for getting all the shopping and food prep done on the same day! That is a lot.

Bill, I love the credit for walking to find fried chicken. Lol! Yes, too early for all the Christmas stuff everywhere.

Curly, enjoy that extra hour. At least you figured it out before ending up at church an hour early. Smart phones have solved that problem, I think.