Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Couldn’t sleep so I am posting at 4 am. Wow. Maybe afterwards I’ll try to catch another hour.

DS received his ACT results and did very very well. Now we can finally start putting these apps to bed. That will be nice. My job situation was also resolved. I needed time in the afternoon for PT so my schedule was rearranged. All of these events make me hungry because it is difficult to stop obsessing. That is a symptom of my mood disorder. Credit then for tracking for nearly two weeks. Yeah!

I want to feel more in rhythm with the food plan but that will just take a little time. I am grateful for the structure.

Karen: I love Sedona. Thank goodness I hate shopping Knick Knacks.
CJZee: I have used massage for hips and plantars fasciitis. It has been successful.

Wave to everyone else.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I'm a photographer, by the way, someone asked awhile ago and I forgot to answer. I don't do weddings or events or anything like that, I only take pictures and sell them as art. My photos are in several galleries and at the airport. One of the galleries requires that you work 5 hours a week and today is my day. I've got my pillows and a second chair to put my bad leg up or otherwise I'm in so much pain. However, I look like an idiot. Oh well.

I have stuck to two of my goals, eating only appropriate foods and eating within a restricted time window. I have been thinking about my third goal - how to reduce portion size without feeling hungry and then eating something not good for me. Haven't sorted that yet. Last night I had a large portion of the cauliflower that is made to look like rice, I mixed in a big leftover Tabbouleh Salad, heated it all up and added scallops. It was huge. Not that many calories for the whole thing but I worry about the portion size. But I worry more about if I am not satisfied that I will eat something sweet or keep snacking after dinner. It is a conundrum.

The massage was nice, I'll figure out today whether it helped. The therapist goes to the same gym I do and talked me into signing up for a pilates class which is Friday. She said she'd sit next to me and give me advice. I must look like I really need advice, haha.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #78  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I bought a smaller second car from a neighbor yesterday and shocked by the change to insurance. In the past, when we went from two to one car the rate went up and I was told it was because we lost our multicar policy discount. Now I want to add a second car back on and I'm told my policy will nearly double in cost. It feels like such a racket.

Beth, I'm glad the app is helping. Good idea to get the tempting foods out of sight.

Karen, I'm glad the fridge will be replaced at no cost. Whew!

Bill, your class does sound like a lot of work. Kudos for learning a new trick with powerpoint.

CJZee, very cool about your photography work! I hope your hours at the gallery aren't too painful.

Joy, enjoy your cozy snow day at home!

Maryann, yay for your son's ACT score and a shorter work day! I hope you got that extra hour of sleep after posting.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The retinologist says that my retina is fine but wants to check again in three weeks since Posterior Vitreous Detachment is a gradual process.

We stopped by Whole Foods on the way home, so there was no temptation to eat there and I'm proceeding with a normal eating day. I need to weigh myself one of these days, because I'm not convinced that what I consider a normal eating day has few enough calories to get the results I want.

Exercise: +35, 495/1200 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: the sun's sublimation powers didn't work like they do in January because we still have lots of leaves on the trees and too much shade on the driveway. I got a little exercise scraping up an icy snow mix. We did some better living through chemistry and used de-icer to handle the tougher spots. A high of 38 degrees today will take care of the rest.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #80  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,
Didn't make great food decisions yesterday, but I'm proceeding with no sweets--and since that is my biggest downfall, I'm continuing to concentrate on it--I'm making my pledge every morning and review every night--it's a good thing that it reminds me!

I leave this evening for NY for a work thing and to see my son and his girlfriend. We'll be eating out a lot--my goal is to limit carbs and completely avoid sweets.

--Beth
Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Albert Einstein presents his quantum theory of light (1908)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She, again, did more than four hours at the Boston Museum of Science. That included the iMAX movie, Great Barrier Reef - that DW and I thoroughly enjoyed. She lasted the whole 50 minutes in the theater. She wasn't impressed with the introduction that included the voice of Spock (Leonard Nimoy) saying "I grew up three blocks from here." But she did spot "Nemo!!!" every time a Clownfish swam by. Disney has unfettered access to the minds of our kids.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Lunch at the museum was a (mediocre) Cuban sandwich. Mediocre but bounded and without the chips, fries, onion rings, or sweet drinks that seem to be the staples of institutional food. It was STEM day with bunches of young female scientists showing off their trade. I got to talk with a docent who joyfully described pictures of Hubble Telescope. The DGD was more interested in something else where a docent took her off for her own one-on-one. The best part: she got to collect a stamp on her form (which, of course, she couldn't read) back to the front desk and choose a button to pin on her shirt. She chose "I like Math." Yay for all the folks trying to compete with Disney for space in those young minds.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for the reality of winter to already making you clear a path to get your car out. Good news that your retina is fine.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for tracking to take care of yourself. Congrats to your DS for doing very very well on his ACT - must have smart parents.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for something that breaks on the good side of the warranty expiration.

curlyjax - Waving. Happened to think of you today as I saw different adults ushering along folks who needed help benefiting from their museum visit.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Waving back toward New York. Hope you've got great adventures planned.

Penny. - Ouch for the nonsense spouted by insurance companies. They never seemed to understand my argument that I'd drive the same number of miles whether I owned one, two, or ten cars. Fortunately, in my current location, I can't own extra cars so I've dropped that quest.

CJZee - Cauliflower is a great choice of a food to have too much of. I suspect that one can't eat enough cauliflower to sustain life, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress
To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how: . . .

Relax your self-imposed rules. Use these suggestions to change them: . . .

o Think of someone with more relaxed standards. What rules does he or she go by?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 245.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #82  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a weird day. I did some housework and then walked Otis and then a little more housework and I was so hungry even though I had eaten breakfast (early). I decided to eat lunch at 9:30 or so. I did have a snack a few hours later and was just fine until dinner. I was also so sleepy that I had to take a nap even though I had plenty of sleep the night before. I am going to blame it on the pneumonia shot I got on Tuesday and my emotions. A friend I've known well since first grade (60 years) is getting a divorce and Tuesday the rental home she owns, where her daughter and family lived, had a terrible house fire while they were gone. Their Great Dane died of smoke inhalation. Some other friends had to euthanize their 2 year old Golden Retriever who got suddenly very ill and was unlikely to survive. It just seems like several of our friends are going through very tough times. Of course when I really look at things many more are doing fine, but I am so sad for those who are struggling. Overall even though I ate at strange times, I did not overeat and the scale is down slightly. Madeline Albright was fabulous and we both thoroughly enjoyed the format of the program which was her lecture and then she and the host sitting down for her to answer questions that had been submitted beforehand.

Bill The Great Barrier Reef movie looks fabulous. You're so lucky to have dgd to keep you going on such great adventures.
Beth Have a great time in NYC. It sounds like you have a good plan in place.
GardenerJoy I'm glad your eye is okay and also that they are rechecking. I'm going to Whole Foods today because I need larger asparagus for a recipe and I think I just may get salad bar. Your post reminded me so I can put it on my plan.
Penny I'm with you, insurance is a racket.
CJZee I'm sorry you're having so much pain. That sounds just miserable.
Maryann So happy that ds test score reflect his brilliance. I'm sure that is a relief for you and him. I hate knick knack shopping too. Pretty much I just don't need anything more in my home.
Curlyjax How is your week going?

Old 11-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #83  

Good Morning, I tracked yesterday even though I was way over points. Credit. I seem to have free floating anxiety this week that I can’t shake. Lots of loose ends and five more hours of college apps. I guess it is tough for me to let go of things that will be judged about DS. He is fine with it. Maybe that is why he should be doing more of it

Still weight is holding under 170 and I have a plan for today,

Wave
Old 11-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #84  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with a 6 mile hike and weight is up.

This morning I attended my second yoga class. It's a gentle yoga, so just stretching and deep breathing for and hour.

Joy, I'm glad the retina is okay. Kudos for sticking to your food plan.

Bill, a cuban sandwich sounds good. Yay for another good DGD day.

Beth, I hope it's a better day for you! Kudos for sticking to your no sugar.

Karen, I'm sorry your friends are going through tough times. Maybe you just needed a rest day and your energy will pick back up today.

Maryann, you've got this! Let's make it a successful day.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

Late check-in. I had a fun day focused on playing in my sketchbook. I skipped my Morning Routine until now, but it really is best if I do it at some point. Most of my self care activities are on that list, including posting here.

It was warm enough to walk outside today and not have to worry about slipping on icy patches.

Exercise: +40, 535/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-15-2019, 05:54 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Georgia O'Keeffe, doyenne of American painting, born (1887, Sun Prairie, WI)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner was DW's homemade beef chili. CREDIT moi for a modest serving. We had minimal toasted ciabatta bread with it because we had a leftover chunk. The advantage of a leftover chunk is that there was no option for a second helping. This is important with ciabatta bread.

Only incidental exercise in the cold. I left the house bundled up like the Arctic even though it was warmer than yesterday. In class we heard a guest speaker laying out the history of Autonomous Vehicles and their future. Seems that no one believes that driverless vehicles for the general situation can ever be developed. But, driverless vehicles in a well-mapped, limited location can work and are working. The future is getting closer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, walking without worrying about ice is a lot more fun.

maryann - Yay for raising a DS who can flow with the challenges.

Karen (karenrn) - That's a lot of sad events you're supporting friends through. Glad to hear that Madeleine Albright is still active - I'd have thought she was about the age of Georgia O'Keeffe.

Penny. - Six miles is a goodly hike - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress
To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how: . . .

Relax your self-imposed rules. Use these suggestions to change them: . . .

o Consider whether you would want your loved ones to live by a particular rule. Can you see how it would lead to stress? What rule would you rather they have for themselves?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 245.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I ‘ve been feeling a bit glum, so not posting. The pain in my leg is constant, whether a dull pain while sitting or a sharp one sometimes when i stand. I’ve really had it with this. I definitely have to drive and sit more in this job than i used to, and i’m really going to need some kind of plan afterwards to make sure i’m standing/walking more. I’m in one of those “who cares” modes which isn’t good.
Anyhow I have plans with friends for the weekend and that always helps. I read a great quote recently “Action is the antidote to despair” and I’m keeping that in mind.
Bill-so many opportunites in our area for DGD to explore. That film sounds great.
Karen- how cool to see Madeleine Albright!
Penny- interesting about the insurance. I think mine will double when DS gets his license, yikes.
CJZee- so cool you are a photographer!
Gardenerjoy- glad your eyes are doing okay
Beth-hang in there with the no sweets!
Maryann- soon the college process will be over, nervewracking time for many.

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-15-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #88  

Good Morning,

Penny: thanks for the “You got this.” I just couldn’t stay on track. Today is a new week of points with my new program. The goal is to spend no points on candy, to stretch and to go to my OA meeting.

Thanks everyone for being here to post. I am down this morning. I guess it is good to have to go somewhere. I am not sure what is bugging me. First things first though and there will be thirty five teenagers waiting at a door for me in about an hour so I better get a move on.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #89  
Green Tomatoes

Today's plan includes errands, but they are ones that I have separated from expectations of food, so I'm here to say that I won't be eating anything outside the house today.

Exercise: +40, 575/1200 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: We watched the program from Nova, "Look Who's Driving" last night. It aired last month, but we just got around to watching it from the DVR. It took us to the same conclusion as the guest speaker you heard.

curlyjax: Feel free to keep posting through glumness, if it helps. We're not a group that forces false cheerfulness on people. Sometimes, life is glum and its part of the journey that we all have to deal with and negotiate consumption around. Thanks for “Action is the antidote to despair” -- that works for me and sometimes it's really hard to remember.

maryann: Wishing you good luck with thirty-five teenagers.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #90  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight floated back down to where it's been holding, so no progress yet.

I spent the day in the kitchen filling the fridge with cooked foods, and loaded the freezer with baked breads. That means I get to forget about cooking for at least a day or three.

Bill, chili on a cold day sounds like a perfect match.

Maryann, oh boy, you will be in for a shock when you add your son to the car insurance. Ours more than doubled. Add in the fact he uses the benefit only to drive two miles to his violin lesson every week, and that's it. lol

Curly, I'm glad you checked in, even though you're feeling down. The pain sounds miserable! I hope the visit with friends is a nice distraction.

Joy, kudos for having errands that don't involve food. I bet I could involve food into every scenario back in the day. lol
Closed Thread