Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 8 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #106  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Checking in late because I don't want to blow my streak. I have no idea how long my streak is, but I've posted every day for several weeks.

Sundays are tricky because I sometimes give myself permission to skip all or most of my routines, of which posting is one.

Exercise: +35, 610/1100 minutes for August

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 08-18-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #107  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Struggling along--no real changes here. I ate too much today, but I claim credit for not having a late night snack--I wanted one, even though I'm not hungry. I didn't have one.

I see (another new) therapist on Tuesday. I'm going to be really direct about what I want to work on--and that I want to be action/activity based. I can't keep doing this to myself--but at least, I AM still trying--I haven't given up and I haven't gained it all back and then some.

--Beth
Old 08-19-2019, 05:40 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Default Monday - National Aviation Day (since 1939 by Franklin Delano Roosevelt)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - More tomatoes and cukes from the garden made it into our dinner. Just love summer eating.

A neighbor brought over the notice that our favorite hardware store was closing. Another one going down. This is the third local hardware store to close in recent memory. It particularly hurts because it was DW's go-to place for chicken wire that she uses for cages in the park area that she volunteers with. Some stuff needs to be felt with the hands in order to buy it. Chicken wire is a good example; it isn't easily returned like a pair of socks that are the wrong color.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for the streak continuing

maryann - Good luck thinking through the (pending) job offer.

curlyjax - Congrats for doing your motherly job of driving your DS to New Hampshire. Good to hear that you felt some content.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for "I AM still trying" - the best that you can do.

Penny. - Love the thought of starter dough 'hibernating' in your fridge. At this square dancing party, folks wore standard summer Saturday attire - a pretty casual looking group. I do know a couple that did the "puffy dress" square dancing outfits; they had closets full of matching outfits. Took it seriously, they did.

CJZee - Interesting expression for skipping dinner, "we're eating in tonight" Congrats of those 1.9 pounds that won't be taking the trip with you.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 32 Prepare for Travel
Once I accept that I have to follow
through with my vacation diet strategy,
dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 226.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I woke up in the middle of a dream and I’m having a hard time waking up, ugh. I ended up going into the pharmacy after all but avoided any temptations. Since I just started COBRA, I don’t have the new number yet so i could only get a few pills. Health insurance is so complicated! Another call to make. I ate pretty healthily except for too many fudgsicles again. More tomorrow!

Last edited by curlyjax; 08-19-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #110  
Green Tomatoes

Today's weirdness is that our school board is doing a work session before their regular board meeting. So, the fun starts at 5pm and may go as long as 9pm. The last time they had that schedule, I was offered a slice of their jumbo sandwich, but that's not a food that works well for me.

So, I'm going to try having a larger than usual afternoon snack with a salad and call it supper. Then, have a banana when I get home. Definitely an experiment, but I think it might work better than some other things I've tried.

Exercise: +60, 670/1100 minutes for August
Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #111  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

All the shopping got done, so today is meal prep day. Today's exercise will be a walk with dh to the appliance store to buy a part for the washing machine. It stopped agitating and apparently we need new "dog agits" without the gears worn down.

Joy, good luck with the extra long meeting.

Beth, I hope the new therapist is a good fit. Credit for checking in and avoiding the extra snack.

Bill, that's too bad about the hardware store. I'm glad to know it's possible to do square dancing in regular clothes. I might be more interested in trying it! lol

Curly, health insurance ugh! We buy our meds through India. We have insurance but what good is it if a Rx is $900 a month?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #112  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

I'm posting early today to help me make my evening commitment, since evenings have been hard for me lately.

I actually thought about getting something other than a product to eat--but I wasn't hungry, wasn't particularly craving it, just thought "oh, I could have some raisin bread". Where the heck does that come from? It wasn't in front of me, I didn't smell it, and I haven't been hungry today at all. Interesting thing to delve into. I want to stop caring about food and have it just be something I have to do, sorta like brushing my teeth. I don't like (or dislike) brushing my teeth. I do it twice a day without thinking about it, and as long as I have toothpaste and my toothbrush, I'm a happy camper. Can I get that way about food? Sustenance is enough--and not caring what it is?

Tonight will be another shake and another bar--and that's all. I'm behind on water today, but I'll work on it between now and bedtime.

G'evening all.

--Beth
Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Venus and Jupiter in conjunction - possible Star of Bethlehem (2 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I was vegetarian for the day, CREDIT moi. The credit is because not eating meat meant that I ate fewer calories than my normal day. Lunch was a tomato sandwich. Dinner was gazpacho. Evening snack was watermelon.

Spent most of the day getting paperwork done. Missed getting out in the warm day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - 5pm to 9pm is an inconvenient span - when do you eat dinner?

curlyjax - Yep, health insurance is so unnecessarily complicated.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Love the notion of having eating become as much a habit as twice a day brushing the teeth.

Penny. - Good luck getting your washing machine to agitate again. Ours is one of the new ones without an agitator - it justs wishes the clothes to get clean, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

Just about everyone with a weight problem eats for emotional reasons from time to time. One dieter I worked with, Pam, ate when she was anxious or sad. Patricia ate when she felt overwhelmed. Robert ate when he was lonely or bored. Lucy ate when she was angry.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 227.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I stuck to my limit of 2 fudgiscles yesterday, for a calorie count of 240. Not great but not bad. It is so great to not have any temptations at work during the day! It is super hot here and I have no interest in exercising other than functional. I’m looking forward to the fall when everything cools down.

I am meeting two friends for drinks tonight which someone else arranged, yay. DInner isn’t planned yet so will be on the fly.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I've had to adjust somewhat to my DH coming home. I was eating dinner really early around 4:30-5:30 pm, and then not eating for the rest of the day. For the past few days it's been between 5:30-7:30. That's okay, although I think eating earlier is better for you.

I am sooooooo glad I have established an eating "window" of 8 hours (I can only eat within an 8-hour window) because it is mentally easy for me to turn down food if I'm not in my eating window. My DH, who just returned from a 2-month trip, was eating pistachios and watching TV after dinner. He apparently shelled a handful of pistachios for me, and "surprised" me with his sweet offering. I turned him down (he knows I'm watching my diet) and he said "this little pile of pistachios won't make you fat." I turned him down several times. Then he set them on my chest (I was in a recliner). I tried to give them back, but he refused. I gently gathered them and put them on the coffee table. He means well, but he has absolutely no idea about the mind and body of a fat person, our mental rules and triggers, how one thing can set us off down a bad path. (PS - He ended up eating the coffee table pistachios.)

I'm just a sliver below 230 this morning (I have an old-fashioned mechanical scale) - so I have met my goal of being 229 prior to my high school reunion which is this weekend! I really can't believe it as I am a very slow loser. This puts me 20 lbs. below my last high school reunion ten years ago. (Of course I have been higher and lower in between, but only I need to know that.)

Beth - PLEASE let me know if you figure out the raisin bread conundrum. You will write a book and be rich and famous.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #116  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. A three mile walk was accomplished.

Beth, credit for not listening to the saboteur in your head.

Bill, credit for the lower cal day, and may summer sun be in your plans for today.

CJ, good job resisting the food pushing! Maybe our spouses get used to us being so happy from food, it's hard to change the method of making us happy.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #117  
Green Tomatoes

I successfully followed my plan to deal with an awkward evening. I got home late and realized that I wasn't hungry, just tired. A banana does not fix tired, so I skipped it. I'm really proud of that because I went back-and-forth on whether to eat it because I planned it. But it really wasn't necessary.

Today shouldn't be too challenging, but that means I want to avoid complacency!

Exercise: +20, 690/1100 minutes for August
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

I was not offered the position because I was wanted in the more difficult position. I was told they would seek outside the district. I went to HR but I doubt anything will come of it. There is peace in doing what I can and I didn’t eat over it. Weight is at ticker. I need to get more fruit and veggies in. That is the current goal. Credit for Pilates before a hair appt.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 08-20-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #119  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all,

Quick check in tonight since I need to get some sleep before an early morning medical appointment (which I'm trying not to worry about and did not eat over and in fact has stifled my appetite). I've been OP today--and upped my water intake by not permitting myself to have a product until I emptied my water bottle. It worked.

I'm planning another all product day tomorrow. Now that I'm a bit detoxed from the junk/sugar/carbs/processed foods, it's easier to not have anything additional. If I don't start, I don't have to stop. Long ago, I think it was joy who said "It's easier to stay on plan than to get back on plan."

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 08-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Inventor William Seward Burroughs patents the adding machine (1888)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Took a boat tour of Boston Harbor. First time to leave from a spot on the Charles River so that we had to go through the locks into the harbor and had to wait for a railroad bridge to lift. That's right - a bridge that carries the commuter train into Boston. One heavy bridge - just pivoted up rather quickly. We did have to sit in the water for a few minutes waiting for three different trains to pass. I do hope the train conductors and the bridge engineer always get their signals straight.

First time that I used MapQuest on my smartphone while touring the harbor. Was great. I could see where we were. I've always been lost while out on the water because stuff that I think is far apart from my land perspective can be quite close on the water. I did enjoy watching MapQuest jump at the chance to declare that I was traveling on Route 93 when we crossed under the bridge - if it has a 'water mode', I didn't find it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at "A banana does not fix tired."

maryann - Ouch for the disappointment with the minor silver lining that you're appreciated where you are now

curlyjax - Those fudgesicles should help to cool you down. Yep, it's hot.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Neat strategy to delay eating until you've emptied your water bottle.

Penny. - Hope you had cooler weather than we had for your three mile walk

CJZee - Congrats for meeting your goal ahead of your reunion.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

Like these dieters, you might soothe yourself with food because you don't like feeling distressed or bored. Food can certainly be an effective distractor - temporarily. BUt eating doesn't solve the problem the led to your distress in the first place. In fact, eating emotionally creates another problem: You feel bad about straying from your diet.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 227.
Closed Thread