Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 5 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #61  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. "On plan" means 1200 calories these days because I don't want to do the 900 before my walking event. So, of course I am stalled in weightloss.

Planning to do two walks today.

Beth, excellent job staying on plan.

CJ, I did one trip last year and managed to stay on plan with looking up menues and tracking everything. I think it was Beck who gives some choices for travel, like stay on plan, or she adds an additional 500 calories or something? I don't remember.

Bill, I guess I've been posting here a full year now since I remember you feasting on blueberries last year. Enjoy!

Curly, we have to use a work-issued bag that completely zips closed (no open side pockets) and can be wiped down with wet wipes. We take a clean paper baking sheet cover in to set our stuff on a hard surface. If there is no hard surface table available, we are supposed to wipe down a door and hang it on a knob. I do sit on furniture. Haven't had an issue yet.

Joy, I hope the car is running great after all that.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #62  

Great read, thanks!
Old 08-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

Just caught up on everybody’s posts.

CJZee: my travel plan is much like gardenerjoy’s. I bring breakfast of a yoghurt or a bar. At one point I was doing a low sugar instant oatmeal and getting hot water from the coffee maker. I would add protein powder. I take any opportunity to walk. I allow myself rare and unusual bites and let alone things I can eat at home.

Curleyjax: sounds like you are settling in to work although the bedbug thing gives me new respect for you and Penny.

BBE: We have fresh peaches now and they are to die for.

As for me, I am home after having gained less than a pound on vacation. I call it a win. My mantra for school after my first faculty meeting is “the challenges I face now are the steps to my next great adventure.” It took me talking to several dear friends before I arrived at it. I was overwhelmed by factors presented. Then I watch The Last Jedi and thought I needed the mantra and a light saber.

I have several parties today with one plan. My goal is to eat around the parties.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, Mayan, begins (3114 BC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Terrific hike for nearly two hours in the Middlesex Fells Reservation, CREDIT moi. It's a gem that exists close to Boston because it was too rocky and hilly to develop. What a save! We climbed one of its 'mountains' (192 feet) with views to the buildings of downtown Boston. Yet it has the isolation of being alone in a forest. DW noted that the native plants hadn't been widely replaced by invasives because the ground had never been disturbed. So many rocks covered with lichen. Many more worn smooth because it's necessary to climb over them. Was only a five mile drive from our front door. It's well known and popular, but we only encountered a dozen folks while we were out. Not exactly Muir Woods, but special for our area.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with dinner on the patio including a sliced tomato and a cuke salad from the garden. DW slices the cukes into a yogurt-spice dressing that fits a summer evening.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Salad with duck is living the good life, indeed. Neat travel tips, especially traveling with a cooler when on car trips.

maryann - Terrific mantra, “the challenges I face now are the steps to my next great adventure.” A lightsaber would be a great help in your classroom.

curlyjax - So hard to concentrate with folks who have the TV on in the background - not my thing, either. Kudos for staying your path.

Penny. - Kudos for recognizing that you can't go low before a walking event.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 32 Prepare for Travel

How Not to Gain Too Much
These are some solutions dieters I've counseled use to help prevent gaining too much weight while they're away from home: . . .

Carry food with you. If you have a long trip ahead of you, consider bringing along some favorite foods permitted on your diet plan. While in transit, be careful not to eat out of boredom. Also beware of eating more meals than you had planned, due to time changes. Some dieters I work with ask their hotel in advance for a mii refrigerator (or they ask the management to remove the alcohol that is already in the minibar). When they arrive at their destination, they find a grocery store and buy some food and drinks, especially for planned snacks.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 224.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #65  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I got two walks in, totalling seven miles again and also got some weed pulling exercise in.

Maryann, excellent job maintaining while on vacation. I hope all went well with the parties.

Bill, the hike sounds perfect. Credit for the hike and on plan eating.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

The salad with duck was good!

I've already planned my day twice, but I think this second plan will work. It eliminates one of two grocery store trips and shifts meal-planning for the week until tomorrow -- but it's worth it not to go to Whole Foods on a Sunday when everyone else does.

Exercise: +30, 325/1100 minutes for August

BillBlueEyes: your hike with "mountain" sounds lovely!
Old 08-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #67  

Once again did not follow my plan at parties. I woke up this morning thinking it was the first compulsive bite I need to avoid. That is the bottom line.
Just for today I can stick to my plan. That will be the anniversary present to myself. DH and I are celebrating 18 years. After yesterday I do not want to go out to dinner. I am going to suggest the gym and a movie.

Wave to all.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Beth - thanks for all the great ideas of what to do in Chicago!

Bill - I was very lucky to see Notre Dame in Paris many years ago.

Curlyjax - re: your fight with the fudgesicles - I have sort of a parallel. The one food dread I have upon DH returning home is that he has become somewhat addicted to the Klondike ice cream bars with no added sugar. I know he will want to stock up on them here, and they will be a problem for me if I start to eat them.

GardenerJoy - thanks for all the good travel advice. I like the idea about the game of seeing which menu item has the most veggies.

Penny - wow, your calories are really low! I’m aiming for 1500, and I think that’s low. You must have willpower of steel.

Maryann - I like your idea about letting things alone that I can eat at home during my travel. It is a good way to think about it. And Happy Anniversary!

Well, I had my "official" weigh-in this morning. I think I only lost a little over a pound, but it's better than nothing! I am disappointed, though. I had been losing 2 lbs. per week. As you know, I'm going to my high school reunion in 2 weeks, and was hoping I would be down to 229. There is still a possibility, although a slim one (see what I did there?). At any rate, I was 249 at my reunion 10 years ago, so at least I will be lower than that. One of the things I wonder is will I need a seat belt extension on the airplane?

Old 08-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - IBM introduces its first Personal Computer (PC & PC-DOS version 1.0) (1981)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was perfect weather for our standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi. One front yard had three kinds of tall, decorative grasses. Another had the neighborhood's two American Turkey hens and their five (teenage-sized) chicks taking dust baths in their front yard - leaving a mess.

During community time, I indulged in a chunk of zucchini bread with the noble intent of eating something healthy. The person who made this out healthied me, LOL. Seems to have had almost no sugar. I barely got it down. Felt as if I'd finally had a fruit bread that wasn't just cake in disguise. And I now know why no one does it that way. Dinner on the patio as if in the garden of Eden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Not only is it worth avoiding Whole Foods on Sunday, the one around here isn't much fun on any day since the Amazon takeover.

maryann - Happy Anniversary - may you have many more. Sticking to your plan is such a neat self present.

Penny. - Weed pulling is like going to the gym - it'll be there for next time, LOL.

CJZee - Congrats that your weight is going in the right direction. Kudos for developing a positive attitude for your high school reunion.

Readers -
Quote:

How Not to Gain Too Much
These are some solutions dieters I've counseled use to help prevent gaining too much weight while they're away from home: . . .

Use the strategies you've already learned. Take this book with you. Reread how to differentiate hunger from cravings and how to tolerate them; how to use anti-craving techniques; how to prepare for unplanned eating and overeating; how to get back on your diet after a slipup; how to handle disappointment and the unfairness issue; how to deal with food pushers; and, especially, how to prepare for eating out and drinking alcohol. You've learned a tremendous amount if you've been practicing the skills in this program for the last month. Use that knowledge!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 224.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I got so busy with things yesterday am I forgot to post. Quiet weekend with errands, catching up and relaxing. I keep thinking about going on Match, but am unsure, due to being overweight and my hip pain has come back which limits my activity. Plus if you post your photo everyone in the world can see it, which creeps me out a bit. But if you hide your photo no one can contact you. I see my man friend occasionally but he doesn’t want to be in a relationship and at this point I would like to at least have a more steady companion. Clearly I’m lonely.
Did so so with eating over the weekend.
Penny- thanks for the advice. I may get one of those plastic bags you can see thru to deal with this. I do sit on furniture too but it bothers me a bit, what with possibly urine/animal fur (which i'm allergic to). I'm not usually super finicky, but ....ick.

Last edited by curlyjax; 08-12-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #71  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is the Whole Foods trip that I didn't make yesterday. The plan is to go at lunch time and have a salad from the salad bar. And, eat nothing else while I'm out of the house. That's worked for several weeks in a row, now, so I'm not really worried about it. But, I feeling a little superstitious -- I need to post my challenges and solutions or something's going to go wrong.

Exercise: +30, 385/1100 minutes for August

CJZee: I've flown when I weighed 240 and the seat belt was fine. Lots of men with big bellies weigh more than that and don't need extenders.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #72  

Good Morning,Coaches.

I am off to a workday today with back to school nite this evening and students tomorrow.

Positives:
Lots of walking as I prep my class.
The only food at school is my planned lunch
Chance to be of service and out of my own head
Opportunities for growth

I need all these insights because my addictive eating continues to baffle me and my mood swings seem a little more forceful.

I will plan for two Pilates classes and go to the gym twice this week.

Have a good week all.

Last edited by maryann; 08-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #73  

Good morning!

Yesterday was not on plan and weight is holding. I attended a 50th wedding anniversary party and had a slice of strawberry rhubarb pie. It was good.

NPR had a piece about how cognitive behavior therapy is having big success with high school kids in Chicago and violent crime reduction. CBT does seem to be the catalyst that got me to finally lose weight. Getting rid of processed and animal products probably helps me stay on track more than cbt alone though.

Maryann, happy anniversary! We are just one year ahead of you, about to hit 19.

Joy, a yummy salad, not prepared myself, sounds like a great shopping reward.

CJ, my calories are low. Ridiculously low, because I am at the end of my weightloss journey. I too easily bumped up to 1600 with a slice of pie yesterday.

Bill, the turkeys crack me up. I would definitely enjoy watching them.

Curly, I'm glad you had a relaxing weekend. The other part about keeping work stuff clean is trying not to offend people. A big plastic bag might be a little offensive. A lot of people don't like my paper baking sheets and I just explain it keeps cat hairs from traveling to the next home where someone might be allergic, and that their home is fine, it's just company policy etc.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Bill - LOL at - Felt as if I'd finally had a fruit bread that wasn't just cake in disguise. And I now know why no one does it that way.

Curlyjax - I met my husband online about 15 years ago. He proposed to me at my highest weight. I honestly don’t think he notices one way or another.

GardenerJoy - I really like your thoughtful planning. Thanks for the insight on the plane’s seatbelt.

Maryann - I have often thought that most addictive behaviors can be totally cut out of life - i.e. alcohol, drugs, smoking, gambling. But we have to eat, it is not a behavior that we can simply stop. The only thing I can think to do is not to allow myself access to those "hyper-palatable foods" in the words of Dr. Stephan Guyenet who studies the brain as related to eating.

Penny - I need to read up on cognitive behavior therapy.

As for me, I am starting to get more nervous about my trip. I’m going to be gone much longer than I originally thought because -- after the initial trip-- my husband has talked me into staying with him at the house he is trying to sell. That means I’ll probably be gone at least a month. I have formed some daily habits at home which I know will not transfer well in travel. I will also, of course, be missing the gym and my personal trainer who forces me to do stuff I really wouldn’t know how to do without him. Also, right now, I have an eating schedule that is working well for me. And I’ve stocked my refrigerator with all the right stuff. So I’m getting nervous.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Michael Phelps swam into history with 10th & 11th career gold medals (2008)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner on the patio was a mismatch: fresh gazpacho from the garden, leftover deviled eggs, and the last bits of a baguette that was past its good-for-one-day-only. This is the moment in the calendar to preserve for all year. We sat out talking until almost dark - when the gardener had to jump up and get in a last splash of watering while she could still see. Gardeners, like parents, are never off duty.

I drove out to Concord, Mass to work with my friend on the course we're giving this fall. If you have to live outside the city, it's great to be reminded that there are suburbs with as much character as Concord. They've preserved serious farm lands and woodlands. And their downtown is worth a trip with real mom-and-pop owned stores. Enjoyed driving alongside fields in my Nissan LEAF feeling like I was disturbing them less.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Our Whole Foods salad bar is always fresh and appealing. The stores that try to imitate them seem to fall a bit short.

maryann - Kudos for thinking ahead for your whole week.

curlyjax - Ouch for the hip letting you know that it's still there. Wish you well working on dating relationships.

Penny. - Share your celebration of Cognitive Therapy. Neat to hear that it works for Chicago's high school kids.

CJZee - Yep, a month is a long trip. Kudos for working your plan for it.

Readers -
Quote:

During the Trip Home

You're on the way home. You tried to follow your predetermined diet plan while you were away. How did you do? You should be giving yourself credit for everything you did right. But maybe you slipped some. Are you dreading getting on the scale?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 225.
Closed Thread