Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 11 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

“Phone Armageddon” in class today. I sent four to the office and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I’m brutal. No texting in class. It is hard enough to get them connecting to the Intolerable Acts much less while ordering lunch from Dairy Queen.

Tomorrow we are analyzing the Declaration of Independence. They are going to write a break up letter to a sweetheart using the same form but in colloquial language (goodness help us.)

I was OP yesterday. I have to put in several home hours to prep for the rest of the week so no exercise until tomorrow.

Everybody is making me feel inadequate with their meal planning. I have sunk to the bottom of the cooking chain right now. Prepped protein like rotisserie chicken, sausages and fresh packed ravioli. I add sauce. I do make sure we have the freshest fruit. Right now the white nectarines are heavenly.

Have a good evening.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:21 AM   #152  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Krakatoa erupted (1883, the Indonesian islands of Java and Sumatra)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise, CREDIT moi, was the first of three days this week chasing the (3.5 yo) DGD - while her daycare takes a vacation week. Her skills on her mini-scooter are getting good enough that it's becoming exercise to keep up. A ton of Cheerios were fed to the tiny fishes of the pond where we sat and watched for a spell. The highlight of the day came when she ran ahead to the car and put the CD in "All by myself." Neat, she's developing skills to become useful. Neat until I turned on the CD player and it said it was empty. "I put it in the other slot," where "other slot" was the thin space above the door to the cigarette lighter in the dashboard. It's gone. We spent minutes trying to find it. It's gone into the vast spaces of behind-the-dash with little hope of recovery. It was a great purchase from a used record store for $2. Replacing it on Amazon will cost $24. "All by myself" is not my favorite phrase today.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi, including gazpacho on the patio despite wearing jackets. DW bailed out as soon as possible admitting that she was cold. I denied it and stayed a bit to savor the summer yard greenery.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - A day off every now and them is a good thing. Enjoy

maryann - Yep, the Intolerable Acts must seem like forever ago to your young charges. We are reminded of them when we pass the Boston Tea Party Museum on the way to the Children's Museum. Hard to understand why schools don't just bar phones at the front door. You make me drool for white nectarines.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for planning a week's worth of meals.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Telling the server not to bring the bread is a terrific step toward staying your path. Kudos for standing down the raisin bread.

Penny. - Hope you get to catch up on your sleep

Readers -
Quote:
Day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

How to Calm Down
Food can be an effective distractor - temporarily.
But eating doesn't solve the problem that led to
your distress
in the first place.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 228.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #153  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was an on plan day. I had the waffle again for breakfast but added 1 T of peanut butter and it helped me not get hungry for lunch quite so early. The chicken cacciatore for dinner was great. Tonight I'm making a pork ragu in the instant pot. I haven't made it before, so we'll see. I just wanted to have some different things. I think today I'll go see The Peanut Butter Falcon. I haven't been to the movies for a while. I might even go this morning and then go to the gym in the afternoon. That would be a big change for me, but might be good to switch it up. We'll see.

Bill I'm glad it was only a $2 DVD that is gone forever.
Maryann I can't imagine competing with the cell phones. Too bad they can't just be collected at the start of the day.
Beth It sounds like you are having many more good days, credit for that.
GardenerJoy I hope you had a good day off. Any good videos to recommend?
Penny I hope you are feeling more rested.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi coaches!
Well, I am now in Minneapolis. Years ago (and I mean years ago) I was a staff writer at the St. Paul, Minnesota newspaper, so I actually lived in the Twin Cities for one summer during college. I should make a list of all the places I've lived.

Yesterday, we visited the university from which I graduated. It was very nostalgic to see all the buildings and try to recognize where I actually went to class amongst all the new construction. My DH and I kissed under the clock tower, which is an old tradition. In fact, supposedly you are not a true "co-ed" until you kiss under the clock tower at midnight. When I was a freshman, so many couples went there at midnight that they had to squeeze under the clock tower like a crowded subway car. I will never forget the experience because after the bells stopped ringing one minute after midnight, a lone girl's voice called out: "Don't stop now!" I don't even remember who I was with, but I will always remember that voice.

Yesterday I stuck pretty much to plan. I ate a salad for a late lunch, and a salad for dinner. It sounds boring, but I think it was the best option based on where we stopped to eat. I know I am eating more calories than I did at home, and I'm going to accept that for now. One good thing is the calories are listed on the restaurant menus. I kinda both love that and hate that at the same time.

Last edited by CJZee; 08-27-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #155  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

All the shopping has been done and today will hopefully include some mealplan prep.

Beth, your raisin bread is my tortilla chips. I tried to take a break from buying them to keep it out of the house, but all the kids noticed and complained. Lol

Maryann, the Bored and Brilliant book I read says that attention is reduced significantly with phones just out and sitting on the table next to us, or being held in our hand (not looked at). It inspired me to make sure it is closed up in a bag when eating out, etc. Good manners are still hard for us adults, I notice with every work meeting.

Bill, lol at the do it myself story. You're going to be exhausted by Wednesday night.

Karen, mmm pumpkin waffles sound pretty good.

Joy, I hope you enjoyed your down day.

CJZee, I love the kissing under the clock story! I'm glad you're having a good time, and finding good food options.

Last edited by Penny.; 08-27-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #156  
Green Tomatoes

Since I took yesterday off, today has a very long to-do list, naturally. I have a fully written plan that will work if I work it. I'll report how it went tomorrow morning.

Exercise: +30, 930/1100 minutes for August

maryann: I remember writing a Declaration of Independence from driving my brother around all over the place in high school. I thought it was hoot! My brother, not so much.

karenrn: I ended up re-watching Sherlock yesterday because I started to watch the documentary Study in Sherlock, but didn't remember enough to make it fun.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #157  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

A tough Monday for me with way too much night eating (raisin bread and tortilla chips). Today has been much easier, and I'm working on a couple of things. I need to increase my water. I ate only products today.

I had a good appointment with my therapist--my eating issues are our only real topic, although, of course, that ties back to other things in my life. I came away with a to-do list, and I like that--action oriented.
  1. Take 2 walks before my appointment next week
  2. Ask DH to hide the raisin bread (and he said he might quit eating it which means it wouldn't even be in the house)
  3. Create a reminder card of things to do instead of eating and put it in the kitchen
  4. Practice my deep breathing/relaxation every day
Those all feel manageable to me. I've already done 2 and 3--and seeing the card every day when I get my products will be a good thing--not just to see it when I want to eat something off plan.

She also asked about Overeaters Anonymous, since what I'm describing feels to me like a food addiction, but the Higher Power concept wouldn't work for me at all--hence therapy :-)

joy: Credit for your to-do list--and your exercise achievement

penny: Apparently I an't handle tortilla chips either. We're out of trail mix, so I'm safe from that until/unless DH buys more. If he does, I'm going to ask him to hide it, not just put it on a high shelf. Was it in one of the Beck books that I read that a woman who needed to keep chips out of the house let her kids buy occasional single serving bags of chips?

CJZee: Salad isn't boring--it can be really satisfying and have lots of great flavors in it.

Karen: Credit for trying some new meals. Is the Instapot really as wonderful as people say?

BillBlueEyes: You'll be getting your exercise in with DGD this week! More gazpacho--I'm staying jealous :-)

maryann: No matter how you create the meals, whether it's purchasing prepared stuff or cooking from scratch, you get credit for making meals. I used to buy a lot of prepared stuff--rotisserie chicken, sliced produce, etc. I felt a bit guilty about it but realized that 1) it meant we were eating at home and not going out, and 2) I was buying prepared stuff that wasn't really processed, so it was still healthier than many other options, and 3) I just didn't have time/energy to do everything--something had to give, and that was part of what was giving. I used to buy rotisserie chicken while doing the grocery shopping so we could have it that night, and then use the leftover chicken to add to salads for the next few days--sure--I could have cooked a chicken from scratch--or I could have planned to, been tired, and gone out to grab food or ordered pizza--credit for making better choices than that!

G'night all,

--Beth
Old 08-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Novelist Leo Tolstoy was born (1828, near Tula, Russia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Worked on my course with my teaching partner today - CREDIT moi because that's what I had planned to do.

Eating was OKish - I had snacks while we were talking at my friend's house. He opened a new container of trail mix and set it in on the table in front of us. Oh well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love the concept of a retired person taking a day off.

Karen (karenrn) - Great that 1 T of peanut butter can stave off hunger.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for getting to a therapist to continue with your journey. Neat idea to make a reminder card for your kitchen.

Penny. - Neat to be looking forward to making meals out of all that shopping.

CJZee - Love the tale of the girl who shouts "Don't stop now!".

Readers -
Quote:

How to Calm Down

But negative emotions are uncomfortable, and there are Cognitive Therapy strategies you can learn to feel better. Usually the best way to decrease your distress is to respond to your negative thinking and to solve the problem associated with your emotional upset. You'll learn how to do this tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #159  

Late into work at 6:00 am. Wow. Summer feels very far away.

Food OP yesterday. No exercise. This won’t do. I’ll have to get to the gym even if I am beat. That is the way it is. Maybe I’ll swim or something to make it different.

No phones out yesterday. My reign of terror squashed the revolutionaries.

I go back to the hypnotist tomorrow for sugar issue and The Accupunturist on Friday for the same.

Last edited by maryann; 08-28-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #160  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I just have three more things to make for meal prep today. It's Hawaii themed so lots of sweet flavors, and it came with a bonus recipe for pineapple upside down cake.

Joy, I hope you were able to power through the to-do list.

Beth, all of those tasks sound like great CBT, just like Beck. I am not a fan of OA either. I tried the phone meetings and it wasn't for me.

Bill, it's hard to decline the food offering when you're the only guest, I imagine.

Maryann, lol at the kids keeping their phones put away today. You really must have made an impression.

Last edited by Penny.; 08-28-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #161  
Green Tomatoes

I have two sets of errands to run today. I could plan a treat, but I had a planned treat yesterday while running errands. I think today I want to eat my usual snack at home. That will take some good monitoring to make sure that I don't leave the house too hungry.

Exercise: +30, 960/1100 minutes for August
Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #162  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Just a quick check in. Yesterday I had some off plan eating, but today back to the plan. As far as the Instant Pot goes, part of the reason I use it is to keep from heating up the kitchen as much on these very hot summer days. Also I think it doesn't probably use as much electricity. More tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:09 AM   #163  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Today was an OP day--and it was an easy one, which was nice. It didn't take any willpower to stick with my plan today. The deep breathing is actually really helping relieve tension, so that's nice. Tomorrow is going to be a bit harder, since we're going out after work. I'm going to stick with products for food and permit myself one glass of red wine. None of the food we get at the place we're going is a good choice for me so I'm just not going to eat any. Don't be surprised if I post again tomorrow afternoon to reassert my plan.

I'm still not back to drinking enough water--but I'm working on it.

I've been reading Bright Line Eating--I think I've mentioned it before. When we get back from our Europe trip, I think I might try it--give up the meal replacements and go to the no sugar/no flour plan. As with any other eating plan, it works fine with Beck! I've also been successful with the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet--also restricting carbs pretty severely.

karenrn: Hope today was back on plan!

joy: Credit for planning your snack at home.

Penny: I'm impressed by your meal prep--it does make a week go more smoothly, doesn't it?

BillBlueEyes: I confess--I've come to believe trail mix might be the root of all evil.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 08-29-2019, 05:56 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Michael Faraday demonstrates 1st electric transformer (1831)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was the second of the three days this week with the (3.5 yo) DGD. Much exercise, CREDIT moi, exploring Mount Auburn Cemetery, climbing its Washington Tower, and exploring a bunch of new rock paths that go up and down the hills. DGD didn't ask to be carried - an improvement over last visit. Granddad was hero by having a bunch of coins in his pocket to throw into the fountain to make wishes. She went to bed early because she was tired. A good day.

And we'll have another as she spent the night here. She's asleep in the next room; I expect her to pop in here any moment - or "about 7am" as her mother predicted. Dinner was at a child-friendly restaurant with adult quality food in addition to the kid's menu. I ordered greens instead of fries, CREDIT moi, fully expecting to be called upon to eat hers. Wrong. The little thing gobbled them all down, only sparing a couple for granddad. So I came out OK due to a kid instead of my own steel resolve. Whatever works.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for always thinking about your snacks in advance of leaving the house

maryann - Congrats for squashing the revolutionaries with their phones. Yep, Summer does seem to be slipping by.

Karen (karenrn) - I'm glad to hear that you use the Instant Pot; I don't have friends using it so wondered if they just drifted into the pantry to die.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for an OP day. Great to have a plan that works with your Beck.

Penny. - Pineapple upside down cake is just the best. Glad that it's not regularly available in my life.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Calm Down

But it's sometimes difficult to go right to problem solving (and there might be some problems out of your control), especially if you're accustomed to immediately reaching for food when you're upset. You might need to decrease your distress first, in non-food-related ways.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #165  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have three days OP . This is the point I usually start veering off plan, gain some during the weekend, and then have to lose the same 3 pounds again. I have a few new things in place. Thursday is hypnotist. Friday is acupuncturist. Saturday is a planned swim or Pilates. I also bought the new Louise Penny mystery that just came out. You have to read the books in order and I am all caught up. I will think of it as a treat instead of food.
Closed Thread