Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:37 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - May Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Our class studying the cell eventually had to cover cancer. It's a complex subject - made difficult because different members told how long they had been in remission. It was a bunch. You take a bunch of gray haired folks and you get many who've gone through it. On the less painful subject of pathways signaling a cell, we learned that insulin has a 100 step process. The complexity continues to boggle my little mind.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks except for the California Sumo Mandarin Orange in the evening. The salmon and asparagus were done on the grill on our attached porch just like it was summer. We wore coats outside all day. Warmth eludes us yet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Avoiding food traps is classic Beck Cognitive Therapy.

Karen (karenrn) - Nice to have a weight watcher guest to help you stay your plan.

curlyjax - Yep, morning hunger is a good sign that you're not overeating.

Penny. - Kudos, indeed, for entering the healthy BMI range. May you never leave.

Readers -
Quote:
day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors

Pull out your diet notebook and turn to the sabotaging thoughts you identified yesterday. Write down the thinking mistake that corresponds to each thought. (Some thoughts might contain more than one thinking error.)

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 196.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Happy May Day! I always enjoy switching the calendar to the next month to see the new picture. I’m old-fashioned and still have calendars hanging up.
Weight is way up today- probably because i over-indulged in pie and sandwiches at luncheon yesterday. Then brought some home. Can’t think of any credits for the day, yeesh. I had my job eval and it went quite well, so that is good anyhow.
Today I will attack the house a bit, and plumber is coming to detach old dishwasher, step one. I am getting together with a friend and will suggest a walk if it isn’t raining.
Penny- that is awesome!! You have stayed the course for so long, you are a true inspiration for me. Great job!!
Bill- yes, sometimes it feels like just about everyone gets cancer.
Gardenerjoy- maintenance is always good!
Karenrn- have a great time with your friend!

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-01-2019 at 07:45 AM.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

I did reasonably well on my low-energy, high-hunger day. I'm pleased that I accurately predicted it. I didn't know I had that ability! Or, perhaps more accurately, I wasn't fully conscious of it. Now that I know I can do it, that's going to help me make plans to prevent some of my worst eating days.

Today feels higher-energy and lower-hunger so I can be a bit less generous with my plan and still have confidence that I'll follow it.

Exercise: +40, 1025/1100 minutes for April
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/ 165/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP. So grateful. Today is planned even though it is tricky for dinner because my mom is coming to DS track meet. I think success lies in not eating my planned lunch too early.

I’m struggling with some severe leg pain. I can barely walk across campus. It really got bad after chiropractor treatment for plantars facilities. Frustrating. I’ll take extra time stretching this morning.

Karen: The river has finally dropped. DH has been working 24/7 for a month to pump the seepage out of the orchard. I admire him so much.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 05-01-2019 at 10:48 AM.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: +71/+11.8/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight dropped another pound.

I cleaned off the woodstove and stacked a pile of books on top, so I guess I'm ready to declare woodstove season over.

Bill, thanks for starting the new month. It sounds like the cell class got intense for the cancer portion. A lot of pain and loss brought on by cancer.

Maryann, the leg pain sounds terrible! Good luck with the later lunch plans and I hope the leg pain subsides.

Joy, thank goodness for lower hunger days!

Curly, good idea to get a walk in with a friend. It's so much more enjoyable too.
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - US stops minting 20 cent coin (1878)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. DW fell into a big hole. The DGD saw a picture of a battlefield nurse and asked what she did. DW said she helped folks wounded in war. Then DW had to explain war, guns, bullets, why people hurt other people - the whole ball of humanity. When a developing mind grabs onto a topic, there's no escape until all questions have been answered. I read Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!. She was more into the letters than ever before, like she's peeking at learning to read.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks except for the evening California Sumo Mandarin. Felt good about having another day where I fully rejected a raging call to go get peanuts because the thing I was doing got difficult. My hunger rarely starts from my stomach.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Predicting your energy level is pretty amazing.

maryann - Ouch for severe leg pain; that's a big limit. Hope your chiropractor can fix that.

curlyjax - Congrats for a good job eval - always nice to know that others can see what we do.

Penny. - So glad to hear that woodstove season is over up your way. I wore a coat outside all day yesterday. Seems that May hasn't gotten here yet.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
Try not to get self-critical as you identify your errors in thinking. If you do become critical of yourself, create a Response Card.

Sabotaging Thought: I must be stupid for making thinking mistakes.
Helpful Response: There's nothing wrong with me. Everyone has distorted thinking from time to time. It has nothing to do with intelligence. It just means I'm human. The important thing is to learn what to do about my thinking mistakes. I'm taking the first step right now by identifying them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 197.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

I predict today's energy level will be high, but mostly anxiety-fueled. I'm (probably) running a meeting tonight. The "probably" is because I'm in a position to dominate the room, but a situation where that might be completely inappropriate. So, I need to have a plan for my own sanity and want to hold on to it very lightly in case someone else with less power has a different notion of how things should go.

The food challenge is that I bought and paid for the snacks, but I don't want to eat them. It's a "cookie and bar" platter -- commercial baked goods. Those don't work well for me when I eat them in the middle of the afternoon, they will make sleep nearly impossible if I eat them at night. So, the snacks aren't about me. They're about the people, including teenagers, who will be in the room. I'll send the extras home with the teenagers. If there are any left at the end, I'll leave them for the cleaning staff.

The same anxiety will tamp down hunger and I've got plenty to keep me busy, so I'm planning a fairly light day, with a couple of tweaks to slightly bigger servings if I'm hungrier than I expect. We'll see how this works!

Exercise: +40, 40/1100 minutes for May
Old 05-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #9  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with cycling class, and weight is holding.

My 12yo wanted his drums back down from the attic, so we're back to having a giant set of drums in the living room. And he was over the moon with pride because I let him drive the car out and back into te garage so I could get the ladder down. He seems more into learning to drive than my 15yo. Maybe I'll take him to the parking lot. Ha!

Bill, credit for no snacking! Deep conversations with toddlers are so great. Their little minds are forming new synapses.

Joy, kudos for making your food plan. I hope all goes well with the meeting.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - World Press Freedom Day (since 1993, the UN General Assembly)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library where I picked up the Blu-Ray DVD Bohemian Rhapsody. Have a problem finding a night this week that DW and I are both available. I have, in secret, started watching on my computer - with its mediocre sound system even though I use good enough headphones. I picked up a new book for the (3.5 yo) DGD. Last time we read to her, she surprised us by asking to "Read again" the way-too-old for her book about man's extended family. The extended family goes back to blue green algae and walks through the ages right down to homo sapiens. DW condenses the words, letting her just enjoy the pictures. Have no idea what part of this goes into that sponge brain.

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi. When the urge was HUGE for a snack, I had a small bowl of blueberries that I declare, in my personal counting system, to have zero calories. That worked. I forgot that I could have just chosen a glass of water. When I feel an URGE, my brain just seems to cease functioning.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for deciding in advance to avoid the very snacks that you ordered for your meeting.

Penny. - Congrats for letting your 12yo back out the car. The first time I let my teenager son do that, he hit the telephone pole at the end of the driveway. His friends immediately scattered as if I was about to beat him. We survived. Drums in the living room is being a better parent than I can imagine.

Readers -
Quote:
Once I can readily see the mistakes in my
thinking, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 198.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-04-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

The meeting went fine last night. A low turn-out meant there was no need to "run" the meeting, so I just let the conversation flow. My philosophy on low turn-out meetings is that the people in the room are the people who needed to be in the room. So, we accomplished exactly what needed to be accomplished.

Today, I have an odd schedule, but I expect a low-hunger day to help me stick to the plan I wrote. My energy level will benefit from a to-do list that's filled with items that I actually want to do.

Exercise: +20, 60/1100 minutes for May
Old 05-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #12  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with exercise class, and weight is holding.

My friend cancelled last minute for the gym class and I came so close to skipping it too. I managed to talk myself through the motivation slump and get it done.

Bill, oh my goodness about the telephone pole incident! I took the same son to do laps around an empty church parking lot and he did great. I mused he is a natural at drumming and driving and wondered if there are other "dr.." words he is good at, hoping it's not drugs and drinking. I got a laugh out of him. Lol

Joy, excellent that the meeting went well. A plan for success was made.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Just a brief check in. Food has been okay. Exercise today was the gym with my friend. This afternoon we have a Mahjong lesson for her and another friend. The teacher will be leaving for MN in less than a week. By next week it will be back to mostly famine around here as in company and people still in town. After Mahjongg we have happy hour with my former co-workers. It will really be dinner for us and there are some decent choices where we are going.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Star Wars Day, "May the force be with you"

Diet Coaches/Buddies - By an odd string of reasons, the rain caused DW's evening plans to get cancelled so we watched the DVD of Bohemian Rhapsody last night. Thoroughly enjoyed two hours of listening to Queen music. They portray Freddie Mercury's relationship with Mary Austin in a warm and loving manner; I liked that. I also didn't know that his parents practiced the Zoroastrian religion that I didn't know was current. They are Parsis from Northern India descendent of Persians who were driven out of the Middle East some 1400 years ago. So I got some history along with two hours of fun music.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks other than half a California Orange which we assume are fading as winter draws to a close even in California. I had several opportunities to pick up peanuts or trail mix which my brain reminded me contains dark chocolate which my brain reminded me is good for me which the other half of my brain reminded me is just targeted Sabotaging Thoughts masked as good health.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for not running that meeting.

Karen (karenrn) - I always thought that one had to learn Mahjong from your mother's knee or it wouldn't take.

Penny. - Yay for being able to get a laugh out of a 12-year-old. I'm told they only grunt.

Readers -
Quote:
day 27 Master the Seven Question Technique

You now have you list of sabotaging thoughts and thinking mistakes. Today, you'll create addition Response Cards to help you more effectively reply to these thoughts. You'll read these cards at a set time every day, ideally when you read your Advantages Response Card. You'll also pull them out whenever you need them. Over time, as you practice these ideas again and again, you'll begin to automatically respond to your sabotaging thoughts, even without the cards.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 199.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches-feeling low again these days, bleagh. I should get back to WW, I dropped it before my trip.It is often cold and rainy outside when I get home and i do not feel like walking. I want to work on picking up the house but it all feels so overwhelming I don't do anything. I need to talk to my man friend about our relationship and i'm sad about the possible outcome. DD is coming home next week and our small house will be overwhelmed with her stuff, and the dynamics of the house will change. sometimes she is so needy and its hard to deal with that when I am feeling sad too. i miss my mom and my husband.
There, I have gotten everything out! you guys are my therapy board okay, time to put on my big girl panties and stop wallowing. I am going to allow myself to read in bed for 30 minutes this morning, then up and at em. I'm having lunch with a former co-worker today which will be fun.
Penny- that is funny, my son is like your 15 year old, he is dragging his feet about learning to drive, unlike his sister who was chomping at the bit.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote