3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/317388-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-may-2019-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

curlyjax 05-24-2019 07:56 AM

I went to my appt. yesterday and discovered I have the hip of an 80 year old! The right one anyhow, the left one is fine- you have 2 totally different hips, the doc said. And a total hip replacement is in my near future, you won't make it to 60 without one, he said with a gleam in his eye. But I am going to start with a cortisone shot next week and hopefully can stall it for a bit. So that is a little disturbing but at least I know what is going on. He also said keep stretching and moving, but PT won't accomplish anything at this point, and having extra weight didn't bring it on, its due to an accident I had years ago. So I know it isn't my "fault" which again is helpful.
And then yesterday as I was driving to meet friends for dinner I got hit. It's just the bumper but it will need to be replaced, and the guy wanted to settle without involving insurance so didn't give me his card. I was too freaked out to argue, but now I think its a bad idea, so i'm going to call my insurance agency and let them track him down i hope.
Have to run off to mammogram now, I am getting appts knocked out! Happy Friday!

maryann 05-24-2019 10:18 AM

Good Morning,

TGIF. I hope to start packing up my classroom since I will be changing schools. Began the process yesterday by going through files and files in my garage. Out with the English stuff, in with the History. I allowed myself 1 box of English files and one box of English teaching books. You never know if you are truly done teaching something. I will allow 1 box of art files for the same reason.

I took the opportunity to sweep part of the garage. I will work on the rest this weekend. Food was not textbook but the scale dropped a bit. Two pounds from goal.

Curleyjax: Sorry about yr hip. But as you said at least it is a known.
BBE: we’re still living with rain here.
Joy: good luck on the exercise plan.

gardenerjoy 05-24-2019 10:52 AM

Yesterday didn't go as well as it might have because I don't have lettuce in the house. Weird things happen when I start to think of myself as the kind of person who doesn't have lettuce in the house. I'll remedy that today -- four heads of romaine so that I know there's plenty for the long weekend.

Exercise: +45, 770/1100 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: I'm celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday on my blog today: A Birthday for a Queen #BriFri ? Joy's Book Blog

Penny. 05-24-2019 12:23 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I did get my few yearly garden plants into their pots and beds. Tomatoes and flowers on the deck, zucchini, beans, corn and some pumpkins in the raised bed. Only the pumpkins look puny. I have had several failed attempts at growing pumpkins so fingers are crossed.

Joy, it sounds like the birthday celebrations have been good. Credit for getting the salad fixings planned and stocked.

Maryann, kudos for getting to just two pounds above goal! It must feel good to get your teaching materials organized.

Bill, you have not had good luck with the rain. I hope the conference was good.

Curly, that is a lot to think about with the hip. Sorry about the fender bender.

BillBlueEyes 05-25-2019 05:54 AM

Saturday - Towel Day - honoring Doug Adams of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exited the supermarket with all the groceries needed but no extras that might become unplanned snacks, CREDIT moi. With no major holiday in sight there were no special sugar things. There were serious displays of hamburger buns and sausages to grill on Memorial Day which is predicted to arrive around here on Monday.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the only snack being my beloved California Orange in the evening - with the last biscotti from our dinner party a week ago. Ouch for the biscotti - wasn't truly necessary. Reminds me that I should have worked harder to get someone to take them home.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat picture of the commemorative £5 coin - thanks for the link. May lettuce apparate at your house - by whatever magic necessary.

maryann - Making a plan for one box for each subject is pretty mindful in my opinion.

curlyjax - Ouch for the news about your hip - while acknowledging that it's always good to know what's really happening. A cortisone shot has been known to do good stuff.

Penny. - Just the thought of zucchini and tomatoes getting picked together makes me drool.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 29 Resist Food Pushers

Some deiters I've told this story to thought I'd done exactly the right thing. A few of them, though, were rather taken aback. They were sure that I'd either insulted my hostess or made her feel major disappointment.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 207.

curlyjax 05-25-2019 07:46 AM

It's been a very full week. i went out to dinner with another friend last night at a Thai place that was very good. The portions were just right. Today i'm going to a museum with my man friend. The exhibit I want to see is the Yin Yu Tang house, which is a 18th century Chinese house brought over here. The rest of the weekend will be catching up with house stuff and errands. So nice to have a long weekend with mostly good weather.
Bill-no extras from the grocery store is always good!
Penny- great to get the garden going. Pumpkins do sound challenging.
Joy- I think you are set with lettuce! When we've had the contaminated lettuce scares, its so wierd to see none of it in the stores. I rely on lettuce for my lunch salads at work.
Maryann- wow, you really have to be a jack of all trades, teaching all sorts of things!
Karen- hope your beautiful weather is continuing!

karenrn 05-25-2019 10:24 AM

Good morning coaches,

Yesterdays hike was an all day adventure. I left my house at 5:00 a.m. and didn't get home till 6:00 p.m. There was a long drive to get there, some of it on a very rocky dirt road in a 4 wheel drive and the hike took awhile too. We hiked the Pueblo Canyon Trail and saw Native American ruins from about 1300. There were several dwellings and it was incredible to see. I got home and made sure I ate enough calories to prevent weight loss, but I actually did trend down ever so slightly. I'm taking today off to do errands etc.

Curlyjax: My husband has had both his hips replaced. He was about 47 when he had the right one done and 55 or so for the second. He used to do a lot of running and he thinks all the racket ball he played didn't help the right hip at all. In each case, recovery was a breeze and he has not had pain. He's backpacked and hiked with me since then. So, when you decide to do it, I bet you'll do just great.
Bill I hope to do as well at the grocery store today. It worked well to do a meal plan last weekend before I went, so I think I'll stick with that. I only eat a hot dog every few years, but boy that sounds good.
Penny Your gardening sounds fun. I have not gotten in to it AT ALL down here. We do have a number of flowering bushes in the yard, but when I did plant pots they seemed to dry up way too quickly even with a lot of watering.
GardenerJoy Holy moly you must really be eating your salads. Four heads of Romaine is a lot of lettuce. Good for you!
Maryann Changing schools sounds a lot like moving from one home to another. Sounds like you'll get plenty of things sorted out. And about the snow in the Sierra . . . .enough already. I keep a close watch on things and know I may not be able to do my JMT hike that begins 8/5. I will have to make a decision by 7/15 when I need to mail my resupply bucket. Our HST hike beginning 8/31 should be okay.

We learned yesterday that my brother's daughter is engaged. We knew it was coming, but now it's official. She will be getting married 7/25/20 in Lake Chelan, WA. Our nephew on dh's side is getting married in the same place on 8/29/20. Sounds like I'll be driving to Washington next summer and doing some hiking/backpacking in between weddings. We have a couple of friends who live in Lake Chelan and one of them told me if I hike from there to Stehekin at the end of the lake, he'll come pick me up in his boat. I think I've got some long range planning to do, which I love.

I'll get off now and make a food plan for the day, next goal is to stick to it.

Penny. 05-25-2019 11:24 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Bill, that took a while to finish the biscotti, credit!

Karen, that hike seems like it was a great one! Very cool!

Curly, have a great trip to the museum!

BillBlueEyes 05-26-2019 06:33 AM

Sunday - Sally Ride Day: first American woman astronaut to go into space (1983)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent a chunk of my mental time getting to a FedEx office to return a 2020 daily calendar that I'd ordered - in the HUMONGOUS size. I'd meant to order a standard notebook size, but the autofill option sent me to the wall size. Making a new order for the one I wanted had been easy; getting this one back was a challenge. "Are you sending an empty box?" FedEx had asked. "No, there's a flimsy calendar in there. It won't break if flexed." "OK, that'll cost $23." Gulp, that's what I had paid for it, including postage. I slithered out of the FedEx office to return home defeated. It'll be cheaper for me to just drop it off at Goodwill. Oh, Well.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with only my California Orange for evening snack. My brain called for an afternoon snack after my defeat at the hands of FedEx.

Karen (karenrn) - What a great coincidence that you have to attend two events in the state that you love to visit. Glad that you'll have a Sherpa to pick you up in his boat.

curlyjax - Neat to find a restaurant with sane portions. We absolutely love the Peabody Essex Museum and its Yin Yu Tang House - you do fun stuff.

Penny. - Sounds like a good day.

Readers -
Quote:

I actually got to check out my hostess's reaction when I saw her about a month later at a national conference. I explained that I'd told the people I was working with about the reception. I asked her what she'd thought when I declined her wonderful desserts. She looked a little puzzled and, as I'd suspected, said that she didn't remember that I hadn't eaten very much.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 208.

curlyjax 05-26-2019 07:26 AM

The museum was great and we had a nice time wandering around after too, enjoying the beautiful day and getting in a good walk.We went to a fancy chocolate shop and each enjoyed one piece only.It would be so nice to go away for a long weekend but he doesn't want to, ah well.Not sure this thing is healthy for me but i do crave some male companionship.
Today is church, grocery shopping and nap since I woke up too early.
Karen- thanks for letting me know about your husband, that is reassuring! the more pain I feel walking, the more i'm coming around to the idea, but we'll start with the cortisone shot.

Penny. 05-26-2019 10:36 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is up. I think I need to tweak my calories back down.

Bill, that's a bummer about the calendar. Lol at the $23 shipping.

Curly, the museum and chocolate shop sounds like a nice day. Credit for only having one piece of chocolate.

karenrn 05-26-2019 12:32 PM

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan except for the addition of a couple of drinks yesterday . This morning I hiked Sunrise with Hiking Suzanne. Finally I can be the lead up the hill since my time is spent hiking and more of hers is spent golfing.

Personals tomorrow.

bethturnaround 05-26-2019 11:57 PM

Hi all,

Just checking in--and realizing that I am fooling myself in thinking that I can "just this one" eat something that isn't what I need to be eating.

I just wish this was easy.

--Beth

BillBlueEyes 05-27-2019 05:16 AM

Monday - Memorial Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, wearing only a short sleeved shirt as the temps topped 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Felt like the beginning of summer - even if just for a day. Then took another walk after lunch for an errand, but diverted to investigate a house under construction nearby. They'd left the openings into the house from the garage open. No one was around. I accepted that as an invitation to investigate the whole place - all three condos. Looks like they're being set up to be luxurious - with communications wiring (TV, internet, etc) going to every room. Each living room has a gas fireplace. Each three bedroom condo has 3.5 baths - including one in the basement that appears to be set up for an office or an illegal mother-in-law apartment. It'd be illegal because the square footage isn't zoned for another living area below ground; it's been approved for storage space or an office. We'll see. All spaces are accounted for. If you live there, you can't have extra stuff.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. On plan, but not lean. I'd planned to eat some leftovers that were caloric but that was what was available and what I wanted. I've stretched the definition of 'on plan' with that one. At least I didn't have any snack except for my evening California Orange.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you lead Hiking Suzanne.

curlyjax - Kudos for having exactly one fancy chocolate. It's good to have a treat when you control its volume. Glad that you enjoyed the Peabody Essex Museum.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Thanks for "I just wish this was easy" - I need to be reminded of that.

Penny. - Always a tad discouraging when staying on plan doesn't make the scale jiggle down consistently.

Readers -
Quote:

Then we talked about the subject of social-eating pressure. She told me that for years she'd felt obliged to overeat whenever she visited her aunt in India. Finally, a couple of years ago, she called her aunt in advance and told her that she was looking forward to visiting her but that she wouldn't be able to eat much because she was watching her diet. Her aunt said fine, she didn't mind at all; she'd just be happy to see her niece.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 208.

curlyjax 05-27-2019 09:03 AM

Didn't do much yesterday other than church and shopping. Cleared the air with manfriend and felt better about the fact that he is very supportive and values me as a friend. We had watched a video on Brene Brown and vulnerability but it hadn't sunk in yet:) She has a useful phrase- "the story i'm telling myself"- to express how you're thinking/feeling about a situation, in a non-confrontational way.
That is the great thing about our group, we can all express our vulnerability and feel safe because we're anonymous, and we're all supportive. So i'm expressing my gratitude for that!
I'm going to try the Instinct Diet. It's written by a nutritionist at Tufts and has sound advice. It's one of these things where you're told what to eat for 2 weeks and i'm going to challenge myself to follow it as closely as possible. But first i need to do some food shopping and prep etc.
Beth- I totally hear you. the only reason I only had one super fancy chocolate the other day was that my friend was paying, it was pricey and he only ate one.Otherwise i would have kept going!!
Bill- wow, there is so much construction going on where you live. If only they would make small modestly priced homes, that is what is needed.
Karen- constantly impressed how you get up early to exercise!
Penny- great job being on plan. I imagine it could be more of a challenge the close you get to goal.