3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/317388-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-may-2019-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

karenrn 05-21-2019 11:45 AM

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in so I get to some things around here.

Just back from a 4 mile hike up and down Sunrise. I need to get some housework done, but darn the weather is too nice not to get out for at least a short hike. I am eating at maintenance I guess, because that's about what I'm doing. I will get a plan written for the rest of the day and stick to that. Tomorrow will be a long hike because the high is only going to be around 72 degrees. It is unbelievable and wonderful. I'm going to run over to REI shortly. I have a return and then I need to check out the sale and I didn't want to do that on the weekend.
If I get my chores done I'll drop in again for personals.

maryann 05-21-2019 03:26 PM

Big “Oh Well” as I continue to make great choices of avoiding sweets at work and addictive sweets but have no reinforcement with the scale number. And today is treat Tuesday at my last school.

I wrote in my log “ following a plan is not always rewarding but it feels much better in the long run to its alternative. “ I do not want to live my life over 200 pounds like I was before.”

Penny: yr husband’s trip to The neurologist does sound scary.

Karen: you have convinced me that exercise is not the magic pill for weight loss. If anyone could lose weight with exercise it is you.

bethturnaround 05-21-2019 10:26 PM

Hi everyone.

Still here. Still struggling. Good days and bad days. Today has been a good day--but it's a struggle. I give myself credit for posting.

Gnight
--Beth

BillBlueEyes 05-22-2019 04:45 AM

Wednesday-Sherlock Holmes author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle born(1859,Edinburgh,Scotland)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Put in some hours working on my course for this fall. For everything I plan, I can think of a few more things that I'm not covering. Each section will have to be 48 hours long if I stuff it with all that I can think of. I did find some neat pictures via google search. There is so much FREE stuff out there. I did get to watch the foundations being poured for a new house being built where the previous one had just been torn down. These guys are moving fast. I also got to witness the traffic of folks trying to commute out of Boston. It's become bad enough to warrant a huge story in the Boston Globe - calling Boston the worst traffic city in the nation. I suspect that that's a bit parochial; other cities might think they excel [sic] in this category.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Sorta OK, except lunch was a sandwich served by my friend at his house. I didn't eat just half - the exact punch line of the section I'm quoting from Beck this week. I couldn't stop thinking that I'd take half home with me, saying "Do you have a doggie bag" to my host.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - A whole party with nothing to eat or drink is a major victory.

maryann - Congrats for continuing to avoid sweets at school.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, hiking is far more important than housework. I'm told that St. Peter doesn't even have a category called 'housework' to check.

curlyjax - Certainly captures the situation: concern that a course for "meditation for stress reduction" will cut into productive time. LOL that I was ambiguous - in the movie itself, young Mick Jagger was in the audience watching young Aretha Franklin perform.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Yay for the good days.

Penny. - A pocket sized poncho would be a great idea for emergency protection. The tiny pocket umbrella has usually served me well - because, I suspect, I've never used it for further than a few dozen yards. It didn't work so well for a mile trek with wind-blown rain. Wish you and your DH well working through his options and dealing with doctors with their adamant opinions.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 29 Resist Food Pushers

In order to make a point about social eating, I often tell dieters about an experience I recently had. They usually have interesting reaction to the story. I wonder what yours will be.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 207.

curlyjax 05-22-2019 09:05 AM

Credit for staying ontrack yesterday other than my planned for ice cream event. Today is my day off and I will zip around with little errands. My plan is to get some simple weight lifting in, so I am posting it here for accountability. I'm joining my choir for the summer which starts today, yay! But they are now having snacks at every session, sigh. I will bring mini waters as my contribution and focus on talking instead of eating.
Bill- exciting that you are doing a course in the fall! yes, whenever i think about a new job, i do calculate what type of commute it would be. I could not deal with going into Boston for any job, no matter how great.
Beth- good to see you. I totally hear you about the struggle!!
Penny- sorry to hear about your husband. That is scary stuff, and being a medical professional sometimes means you know too much!
Karen- shopping is definitely better during the week, much less crowded.
Maryann-great job avoiding sweets and using that resistance muscle!
Joy- not eating at a party is very impressive!

gardenerjoy 05-22-2019 09:46 AM

Today's adventure is supper out with my brother, a belated celebration of my birthday. He's giving me saliva as a birthday present so that we can do Y-DNA and see if we can figure out where our paternal line goes. I've got it back to Ohio in the early 1800s but not sure what happened before that.

Supper is at a tapas restaurant. It usually works well if I take a generous portion from the veggie dishes and tiny servings of everything else. And, when it's my choice of what to order, make it salad.

Exercise: +40, 685/1100 minutes for May

maryann 05-22-2019 10:14 AM

Yesterday I faced a huge dip into the blues. It happens. I felt it coming on but still could not stop myself from trying to medicate with food. This morning I ate a sane breakfast and planned exercise.

I have a lot of planning time at school today which is usually peaceful and tomorrow I am taking off because of a precious dentist appt. The rest of the week should go fairly quickly.

Today’s focus is not punishing myself with food but self care through behaviors that make me feel safe.

Penny. 05-22-2019 12:29 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down. I made it to 1.8 pounds above my last goal, and updated my ticker to go for another 10 pounds beyond that. It seemed impossible at the journey's start but I'm almost there.

Beth, waving hello :wave: credit indeed for checking in.

Karen, I'm sure you are out enjoying your long hike. Enjoy the perfect temp day.

Bill, have a nice day chasing DGD for exercise. :)

Joy, have a nice visit with your brother. Kudos for making a plan.

Curly, good for you, planning in some weightlifting! Have a great day.

Maryann, the scale is on a different schedule than we think it should be, isn't it? Mine seems to get stuck for several weeks and then groan out a tiny loss. Lol

BillBlueEyes 05-23-2019 06:15 AM

Thursday - Carolus Linnaeus born; created system for defining Genera.species (1707)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. We took her to Mount Auburn Cemetery for a serene, joyful walk about where we visited ponds, "forests," and a draping tree that she called her "tree home." Also included climbing the stairs of a tall structure at the center. She loved every minute of it, so much so that, at the fountain at the entrance, she made a wish, "I wish I could stay here forever." Ooops. Caught us by surprise. Well, actually, we thought, we've got reservations to do just that at some point in the future, LOL. Chose not to be the ones who introduced the notion that grandparents aren't forever. Out of the mouths of babes ...

Eating was on plan, including lunch from my backpack sitting by a lake at Mount Auburn. Can't overeat when eating from one's own backpack. Evening snack was a marvelous California Orange - just the standard marvelous orange.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hoping that you do well at your Tapas restaurant - because we're primed to do a Cuban Tapas restaurant and I'm simultaneously concerned whether I'll get enough food from those little Tapas dishes and whether I'll over eat.

maryann - Yay for some planning time at school.

curlyjax - Neat idea to bring mini-waters as your snack contribution.

Penny. - Congrats for another dip in the scale.

Readers -
Quote:

Here's what happened:

While I was writing this book, I attended a dessert reception given in my honor, following a workshop I had presented in another city. My gracious hostess had obviously spent a lot of time and effort preparing for the reception: buying food, baking lots of desserts, and beautifully laying it all out on a buffet table. I ate only a few small pieces of sliced fruit, despite her gentle urging, "Wouldn't you like to try this? Are you sure you've had enough?" Each time she urged me to eat, I replied, "Thank you. It all looks so delicious, but I'm fine with just this fruit."

curlyjax 05-23-2019 07:16 AM

Credit for not going into the snack room at all at my choir. I watched other people eat cookies but abstained and felt so glad. I was hungry when i got home so I did let myself eat some cereal. I only did a little weight lifting but hey its a start. I did lots of errands yesterday including getting new glasses that look quite different.I think I like them but its going to take some getting used to. Today I am seeing a sports medicine doc to look at my xray and hip, so that should be helpful. Then two eating challenges- birthday celebration at work which I am in charge of, and eating out tonight with former colleagues. I can plan on bringing food home from that.
I finally feel better mentally, whew!
Penny- you continue to be so inspiring. I am so impressed and so happy for you!
Maryann- I definitely feel you with the blues. Good job getting back on track.
Joy- He's giving me saliva as a birthday present- too funny! That will be really interesting to see what you find out.
Bill-That cemetery is so interesting, with so many famous folks buried there. Too funny what DGD said! I have wierdly fond memories of taking walks with family friends when I was younger, around the cemetary where my mom is now buried.

karenrn 05-23-2019 08:41 AM

Good morning coaches,
Yesterday was a beautifully cool day for our hike which ended up being 12 1/2 miles and lots of elevation gain. Then I was busy the rest of the day and finished with dinner out with my friend and her daughter who wants to join us on one of our backpacking trips this summer, the High Sierra Trail. She is an avid backpacker, but has had problems with altitude, so she will do lots of test trips at higher elevation to see if it's a possibility. Today is a day at home with housework and some grocery shopping. We had a little rain here early, but it should be another beautiful day.

Curlyjax I'm so glad you're feeling better mentally. Life is a whole different thing when we're feeling good.
Bill I have got to say I've never gone to play at a cemetery. I guess the ones I was near weren't that inviting. In fact I don't ever plan to stay in them forever.
GardenerJoy I'm thinking of you this morning and I sure hope you're okay. Let us know.
Penny Just WOW! You are doing so well. I'm to going to beat myself up, cause my weight is okay and I fit in all my size 10 things, I just want to fit in the smaller stuff in my closet and it's going to take smaller portions to do it.
Maryann I hope it was just a quick dip into the blues and that you're feeling better. You're right about exercise not being the answer to weight loss. Of course it helps, but the food plan/diet is the real answer. It's not even that I'm extra hungry when I get big exercise. It's just that I feel like I can eat more and not gain . . . so I do, but I don't lose either unless I'm watching my portions. For me what exercise really does is helps my mental health, makes the body a little smaller for the same number of pounds and of course ensures I can get myself up all the hills I hike.
Hi to Beth.

Penny. 05-23-2019 11:02 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I'm getting the flights taken care of for my Iran trip and we decided to do a three day layover in Istanbul. Iran only wants us in the country during our tour dates and allows no time to recover from the long flight. So, we'll sleep it off in Turkey and then it's just a four hour flight into Iran. We are looking at a foodie tour in Istanbul called A Taste of Two Continents. Yes please!

Karen, 12+ miles is so great! I'm glad you are enjoying the cooler weather. I hear ya on the looking good but wanting to cross that ideal weight finish line.

Bill, she would really love the cemetaries we saw in Paris. Wild cats are fed by the locals and we got to play find the elusive cats.

Curly, choir sounds so fun. Where do they perform? Credit for avoiding the snacks.

maryann 05-23-2019 11:17 AM

Good Morning,

Yesterday was much better mood wise. I don't know if it was because the sun finally came out or I just got busy with the day. I did some self care techniques in the evening including a bath and meditation in the beautiful evening. In any case, the scale went back to where it has been for practically three months which is two pounds above ticker. So I am indeed putting in much time and effort to stay the same. Penny is right when she says it feels like you can only eat 900 calories to move the number. The truth is, though, that my calorie number is set at 1200 but I always seem to be about 300 above that because deep down I feel that is reasonable. LOL. What is "reasonable" and what "is" conflict. I will have to stop howling at the moon, I suppose.

Yesterday I picked up the Teacher Editions for the high school classes I will be teaching in the fall. My art program has been cancelled ( due to budget cuts) and so I will teaching US History and World Geography. I have decided to teach the texts backwards since teachers never reached current events in any of my history classes. What could be more interesting than what is happening today? Anyway, I just wanted to review material this summer.

I have about two weeks left of school and these always seem to be a little rocky because there is little structure. The good news is they go fast for the same reason. Food is planned. I have the day off for a dentist appt. so I ask myself what do I want to do for a gift of 8 extra hours. I'll start with laundry and a walk.

BBE: Right now my fridge is filled with strawberries from our field, local cherries, apricots and grapefruit. I have to remember to not take them for granted.
Karen: I know you know this but the snow fall continues up here in the Sierra Nevada. Many of the hikes and campgrounds are still closed. You will probably have to be extra careful on your big summer hike. I know I have been up on the PCT in late June and gotten lost because the trail markers are all underground.
Curleyjax: Credit for avoiding the room with snacks. That is a win.

gardenerjoy 05-23-2019 11:46 AM

My birthday supper was fun, but too much food and way too much sodium. Drinking lots of water today....

Also today, I will write two stories that my brother learned from a distant relative years ago. I'm sure he told them to me before, but I need to write them down so I remember and so that, when I have some documentation to prove them, I can share them with various cousins (some that I have yet to meet but will discover through DNA).

I just calculated the exercise I'll need to average to meet my goal in May -- about 42 minutes a day. I've had 40 minutes or more for several days in a row, so just keep going!

Exercise: +40, 725/1100 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes 05-24-2019 06:40 AM

Friday - Queen Victoria born (1819, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent the entire day at a conference where my only exercise was getting up to go to the room where food was available at the two breaks. Other than those two, I was served breakfast, lunch, and a reception that I counted as dinner. I felt like I was on a cruise ship, LOL. My contribution to sane eating was to have crab cakes and scallops because they had less calories than the sirloin stuffed pasta.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the subway deliberately shunning having an umbrella (or emergency poncho) despite carrying a briefcase with plenty of room. The morning paper had predicted no rain all day. I believed. When I walked out of the conference that evening, it was raining!!! I felt duped. Then, accepting my own responsibility, I felt seriously stupid. So, I picked up a plastic tray from a trash can and held it over my head so that I also looked stupid. Lessons learned: probably none, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy Birthday - may you have many, many more. Great idea to capture some stories of relatives while the memories are still fresh.

maryann - What a neat idea to teach a history book backwards - might even get students interested in what came before. You're strong to resist a fridge with that much fresh fruit in it.

Karen (karenrn) - The High Sierra Trail sounds like a fun adventure.

curlyjax - Yay for glasses to give you a new image. Kudos for avoiding the snack room.

Penny. - I am green with envy that you're headed to Constantinople for three days. Byzantium has long been on my Bucket List hoping to poke around and find whatever's left of the Library of Alexandria. Just walking around Kōnstantinoupolis would give me a chill as would Nova Roma. What a place!!!

Readers -
Quote:

Did this make my hostess feel bad? Should I have eaten more, since she'd worked so hard to make the food? Was it rude of me to eat so little?