Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 4 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #46  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was NOT on plan and weight is holding. I was wanting food after the workout class and broke my fasting window for a bowl of various vegetable stuff from the meal plan foods.

I really don't want to park at this weight (two pounds up from ticker in the decade I only briefly escaped), but I seem to be growing tired of the reduced calories.

Speaking of long wait times with digital library books, I borrowed the audio version of a book because it was available now, unlike the regular book. It is called Braiding Sweet Grass and was recommended by a friend as "the greatest book I have ever read." we shall see! Audio books are not my fav but I started a knitting project to try and get through it.

Beth, that lake/forest walk near your house sounds perfect!

Karen, credit for such an amazingly productive morning! You must have gone to bed early. The dessert rain sounds like a nice treat to watch.

Bill, that screen time debate crosses my mind a lot. It can be quite a time suck, for sure.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

BBE: I gave up Facebook years ago and have never tweeted or anything else. But I am currently hooked on Netflix. My new plan is to watch one show at home and one at the gym. We’ll see how it goes.
Karen: how did you find yr meet up group?
Beth: credit walks. Those are a big deal.
Penny: Atomic Habits talks about goal burn out. A new twist might make the journey satisfying again.

Yesterday was OP: I used point and call for sweets at work and started my 24 plan at 3:00. Weight down a bit.

Printmaking continues to try my patience as middle schoolers dump half the container of paint in the print box on purpose. That was one kid and I hate to cancel it for the rest but my attention is drawn to a million places and I can’t monitor effectively. To finish this project, I’ll show an anime movie and work with one at a time.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday did not go well. I lost my temper because DD was NOT ready, and we had a time crunch. I do NOT like having to be done by a certain point, it makes me very panicky. Also Dd was again micro-managing everything. Not a good way to start her return home. I went right to the desserts on the way home. I also called my man friend who listened to me which helped. We are taking a walk on Saturday. He is a good guy and I know he still cares about me as a friend so that comforts me.
I took today off because I knew I would be exhausted. Today I am seeing my primary doc for my hip, hoping for a referral to an orthopedist.
Bill- good for you on the SS website! I have been on that, I know what you mean.
Penny- I bet you are tired of reduced calories, I am so impressed with your will power! Do you think you can eat a little more and still lose weight? Or press pause for a few days?

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #49  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and weight was down another .6 lb. I'll be back down to where I was in no time, providing I keep this up. I hiked Bell Pass again this morning and then walked with Otis after I got home. This morning we had a good walk until we came upon the carpet cleaning truck. Good thing he was on a leash or he would have been long gone. Of course I picked him up and carried him for a few houses until we had passed the truck and then he was on a mad dash to home. I think he must just have very good hearing and anything loud scares him. I'm not as productive as yesterday, but I had a nice long visit on the phone with a friend who I've known since the 1st grade. It's nice to have some really long term friends. This afternoon I'm going to go through my casual and hiking clothes and get things organized. I want to take a good look at the tee shirts and see if some of them can go. I have several drawers in my dresser as well as shelves in the closet where I keep these things and after awhile it gets to be kind of a jumbled mess.

Curlyjax I hate waiting for people too so I totally understand your frustration with your daughter. Do you really need a referral to see an orthopedic doctor? We find out who we want to see and then just get in to them. The problem with the referrals has been that our doctor's don't always have the best information on who is really good.
Maryann I just went to the Meet-up.com site, put in my interest and location and a number of groups came up. Of course I'm in a large area. Then I looked at their calendars to see what hikes they were doing and joined a couple. The Sierra Club might be another option, although the local one for me has mostly people who want to socialize and not much hiking. Once I signed up for one hiking group I was notified via email by Meet-up when a new group was starting.
Penny Good luck sorting out what you need to do to continue your weight loss. Sometimes I have just had a planned maintenance phase. More often I just eat over plan frequently enough to maintain. Luckily the weight shifts are not so dramatic anymore.
Bill That is quite an accomplishment to get the information you needed from the Social Security website. Just think, we are pretty computer literate (especially you), think of how difficult it is for some.
Beth Keep up that roll you're on! And I wouldn't feel one bit bad about driving to the forest preserve. The gal who I listen to that lost 100 pounds, started her exercise by driving to the gym to walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes. Consistency is so important and we have to enjoy it to be consistent. Beth, I'm hiking so early because it is beginning to get too warm to go later. Besides I go to bed really early and wake up by 4:00 a.m. If I go that early, even though it's light the sun doesn't come over the hill until I'm on my way down. That makes it so much more enjoyable.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:55 AM   #50  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I'm up reading way too late. I've made good decisions today, though, and I give myself credit for that, even if I didn't know when to go to bed! My food was all products, I drank lots of water, and I took a walk this evening.

Now to bed--since I have a 5k at 8:00 tomorrow morning and it's almost 2.

--Beth
Old 05-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - World Migratory Bird Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At the supermarket I didn't buy anything off plan, CREDIT moi. Seems like a wimpy thing to take credit for but stuff does tend to jump into my basket with the notion that I'll work it into the plan. And then it just becomes a snack. The great fun was buying two pints of Florida blueberries even though I knew that the fridge already had several pints in there from DW's trip to Whole Foods. Looking forward to too many blueberries for breakfast.

Exercise was walking to the subway to see The Handmaid's Tale performed by Boston Lyric Opera. Performed in the basketball court at Harvard University. That was justified because the first line of the book is "We slept in what had once been the gymnasium." The story was depressing as is known by the folks who've watched the TV series or read the book. Offred is on stage for almost the entire three hours. We had great seats five rows away from the action. (Can't say 'stage' since it was performed on the basketball court floor in front of us.) My standard complaint about atonal music applies to this. It was sung in English with English super-titles so understanding was easy. About 100 (yes, one hundred) folks were on stage at some point and about 68 members of the orchestra. Curtain call completely filled the court space allocated to 'stage.' The movement director was Shura Baryshnikov, daughter of Mikhail Baryshnikov. She kept the whole group moving about so that folks sitting on three sides of the stage area always had movement in front of them.

maryann - Once again I send my admiration to those of you who can teach the pre-human phase of middle school. Kudos for having a plan for your Netflix.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at dear Otis with his keen hearing. T-shirts should never be thrown away because they never wear out. It's unnatural. Just build an addition to your house if necessary, LOL.

curlyjax - Surviving with your DD is a good start for the summer. Keep on keeping on.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Waving back toward your 5K walk - a great start to the weekend.

Penny. - Our book club read Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants; it didn't ring with me, but others thought it just amazing. DW ordered a bunch of sweetgrass and handed it out to all our members to fondle as we discussed the book.

Readers -
Quote:
day 28 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thoughts about weighing yourself might surface tomorrow if you're disappointed by the number you see on the sale. Prepare yourself today for these thoughts by making Response Cards.

Based on the experience of the dieters I've counseled, I can guess that your thoughts might be in one of three directions, depending on the number that appears on the scale. . . .

​​​​Scenario No. 1: You lost what you consider to be a lot of weight.
Sabotaging Thought: That's great! I'm going to keep losing weight fast!
Helpful Response: Yes, it's great that I've lose this much weight. I did a good job following my diet this week. But I probably won't continue to lose weight this quickly.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 204.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #52  

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in this morning. Food was on plan and weight stayed the same. No plans for exercise today. I'm just taking the day off. I have plans for hikes with others the next two or three days. I did get the closet and drawers sorted and put a few things in the donation bag. Now the challenge will be to put things back where they belong. Dh is walking Otis today. He doesn't quite understand why he acts like he does with me, but there are no trash or recycle containers on the sidewalk or noise trucks in the area on weekends. One of these days he'll be retired and can take him during the week. Have a great Saturday!
Old 05-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #53  

Good morning!

Yesterday included the dinner again and weight is holding.

Maryann, that would be very frustrating to have that kind of sabotaging in the class. Art is an elective, isn't it? Weird to choose the class and then be like that.

Beth, credit for sticking to plan! I hope the 5k was a lot of fun.

Bill, I've read, I mean listened to ugh, enough of the book to understand how cool it is that your wife brought sweet grass to book club. It seems good so far. Credit for sticking to the grocery list.

Karen, enjoy your day off from hikes and airport commutes.

Curly, somehow I suspected the dd move day was going to go that way. Ha! Sorry. She's in that selfish inconsiderate time I remember so well.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #54  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am enjoying the luxury of typing on my computer rather than my phone. My morning routine allows only phone posts. I am willing to sacrifice spelling and grammar mistakes in order to post consistently. Whatever works. This fits with the basic premise of Atomic Habits which preaches systems instead of goals. The system must be easy in order for it to last. Speaking of system, my new 24 hour plans seemed to be working. I feel much more successful in the evenings. My will power is greater in the mornings. Linking exercise to Netflix has brought me to the gym everyday this week as I binge watch Blacklist. I am in the middle of season 3 of 6 so this should last a while. I have also returned to the habit of a Vitamix smoothie for lunch. This has always been successful for me. I get most of my fruit and veggie servings in one meal and that takes the pressure off the rest of the day. I have drank my water consistently.

Karen: I love going through my drawers and donating what does not serve me. This pruning brings me a wardrobe that really works for me.
Curleyjax: I lost my temper at DS for very little reason. It never feels good no matter how justified.You have gone through so many adjustments. It would make sense to give yourself some grace.

Wave to all.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:44 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Mother's Day - Lilac Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included supervising the house nearby that was demolished. By 'demolished', I mean that the whole thing is gone including the foundation and the newish tool shed in the backyard. There's just a hole in the New England dirt/clay; now it's a hole with rough stones lining the bottom. All of it was hauled away in those giant hauling trucks. Only the tool shed was lifted off the property in one piece, hopefully to be used somewhere else. The drugstore had candies that I ignored. The hardware store did not have popcorn that it usually has on weekends so I can't take credit for ignoring that. The bookstore had at least 30 books that I need to read. Everything is in order.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the only snack being blueberries in the afternoon. If I don't snack on blueberries, we'll never catch up. My cereal in the morning was more blueberries than grain. I do like this time of year.

maryann - Neat that your Vitamix smoothies are back in your life. Out your way, you should have many choices of fruit by now.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for getting some stuff to the donation bag. With all your hiking, your body deserves a day off.

Penny. - This might be the place where we ordered sweetgrass. I do recall that the price was too low to believe, but felt good that we were ordering from a Sioux Trading Post rather than Mr. Bezos at Amazon.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thoughts about weighing yourself might surface tomorrow if you're disappointed by the number you see on the sale. Prepare yourself today for these thoughts by making Response Cards.

Based on the experience of the dieters I've counseled, I can guess that your thoughts might bo in one of three directions, depending on the number that appears on the scale. . . .

​​​​Scenario No. 2: You lost what you consider too little weight.
Sabotaging Thought: I've worked hard, and the weight I've lost is just a drop in the bucket.
Helpful Response: My weight is going down. That's good! It means that what I've been doing is working. I should celebrate each half-pound weight loss.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

DD and I are getting along much better thank goodness. She has shared some of her anxiety about school etc which helped me understand how things went. I am cutting her some slack about moving all her stuff- which seems to have tripled!- into her room, for a bit.
Since a few of you mentioned Atomic Habits I started reading that.I do love me a good self help book, so that is one of my treats on mother's day. It's a rainy day here, and after church and groceries I intend to putter around and read. I went for a long walk with my friend yesterday so my legs have had a good workout.
DS did the Relay for Life the other night. He walked about 20 miles, he thinks. I had to pick him up at 5:30 am, and he went right to bed and slept until 3:00 the next day.
Karen- I hadn't met my new doc yet, so I had to see her to get a referral. Good job going thru clothes. It is also satisfying to have a good weed out.
Bill- lucky you with more blueberries than cereal! i can't wait to go blueberry picking in july.
Maryann- thanks for commiserating. you sound like you control your temper much better than I do! Smoothie sounds great.
Penny-Are your kids still playing their music? I envision your household as being so fun. Sometimes I wish I had more than 2- but only sometimes
Beth- hope the 5K was fun, good for you!

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-12-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #57  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with dinner and weight is holding. I realized part of my problem is with the weight loss my calorie tracker has steadily reduced my calories to a new low in the 900 range. No wonder I keep wanting to go over! It does seem to be true that I need it that low to see a loss.

Maryann, you're really getting a lot of benefit from the Atomic Habits book. That's great!

Bill, lol about Jeff Bezos and the sweet grass prices. Credit for avoiding unhealthy snacks. You can't go wrong with blueberries.

Curly, that is amazing that your son walked 20 miles! I'm glad you and your daughter talked it out. My kids are still playing music but it has slowed down because my drummer seems to have songs ready to go before the guitar and the bass.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #58  

Good morning coaches,

Food was not on plan yesterday and I'm not happy about it, but keep thinking I need to just consider it a learning experience and not beat myself up about it. I had cut out alcohol for the previous 5 days and then decided to have a drink yesterday . . . that was not on my plan. It turned in to a couple of drinks and then a yogurt and too many dates after my planned dinner. I'm not getting on the scale today because I'm afraid to see a blip up. I'm hoping by tomorrow it's back to where it was. My plan for today is written and I had a delightful hike with a friend this morning. We did Pinnacle Peak which is has two climbs on the way out and then two more on the way back. It was beautiful this morning and the setting is in an area where there are large homes and golf courses. Yesterday a friend and I saw the movie, Dr. Ruth. We both really liked it. I would recommend it. After that I went to a talk about hiking trails in Sedona. I'm heading there Thursday and although I've hiked there a bit it's always good to know if there are other trails I would like. Most of the ones he described are shorter and easier than what I want, but it was great to go anyway.

Penny I couldn't get by on 900 calories a day for long, or at least I wouldn't have the energy I want to have. I honestly find 1200 too low. No wonder you are hungry.
Curlyjax I'm glad things are smoothing out for you and dd. Oh do I remember the days when I gave my Mom a tough time. Luckily it didn't last forever and we had a very good relationship. You know the man who started the Relay for Life was a physician (Gordy Klatt) from Tacoma, WA, where I lived before moving here. He was a colorectal surgeon and just a delightful man. I walked some of it many years ago after my friend's husband died of cancer.
Maryann I'm glad making your plan in the afternoon is working well. Sometimes all it takes is a little tweak. And yes the organizing was great. The friend I walked with this morning told me she has an organizer coming monthly to help her. The good news too is that the gal is reasonable. I might have her come over for a consult. I don't need much, but a little help and guidance might be fun.
Bill We don't have any homes being town down in our neighborhood, but there sure have been a number of them for sale lately. It's kind of a major turnover. I'm kind of excited that new people will be moving in and I keep thinking it would be nice to take them something and introduce myself. It seems like you're on quite a roll with being on plan. Good for you.

Happy Mother's Day to you mothers and those who are kind and mothering to others who might not be your children.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #59  

Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers.

Penny: My jaw dropped when I read what you wrote about 900 calories. I have MFP set to 1200 and it is a super struggle to keep to that mark.

BBE: In my fridge currently are cherries and strawberries. The strawberries come from our field. Blueberries aren’t grown much around here. In Seattle last weekend, the groom’s family made a blackberry cobbler from berries in their backyard. It was out of this world. We also have terrific tangerines. I see apricots popping up. They last what seems to be only a moment.

Curleyjax: Big credit for a long walk. I love it when my son opens up to me.

As for me, weight creeps down. Yeah. I seem to be much less hungry. My systems of exercise and meal planning seem to be in place. Read my advantage cards because I wrote down here “I read my advantage cards.” Thxs
Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 AM   #60  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Fleet of 11 ships of criminals sails to Botany Bay, Australia (1787)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Morning bird walk, CREDIT moi, saw a bunch of arriving spring Warblers. It's fun that they've returned. It's fun every year when they return, like the blooming Lilacs - visual demonstration that the cycle continues. It rained the whole time. "Just light rain," as one member optimistically offered. Later exercise was touring a public area where DW helps to keep under control from the scourge of invasives that take over any public land that isn't tended. Buckthorn and Bittersweet are the despised invaders.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with too many blueberries leading the way. Dinner was a curry lentil dish my DS had presented us for Christmas. It hit the spot on a cold and rainy day. Ended up wearing an additional layer over the layers I'd chosen in the morning. Chill in May is treated like an unwanted guest.

maryann - Local strawberries are just the best. We won't get those for a month yet. Look forward to those "apricots popping up" making it to the East Coast.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you liked Ask Dr. Ruth - will add that to my list. Pinnacle Peak sounds like a fun hike.

curlyjax - Kudos for a long walk to give your legs a good workout. And Congrats for working with your DD.

Penny. - I join the chorus that 900 calories is really low. You should be able to lose at 1200 with less of the feeling of being deprived.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?

Based on the experience of the dieters I've counseled, I can guess that your thoughts might bo in one of three directions, depending on the number that appears on the scale. . . .

​​​​Scenario No. 3: You don't lose weight or you gain weight.
Sabotaging Thought: I can't believe this! See, I just can't lose weight.
Helpful Response: My weight might be up temporarily for hormonal or other reasons. If my weight doesn't go down next week, I'll call my coach and see if she can meet me to go over my food plans. Maybe I made some mistakes. Maybe I need to decrease my caloric intake or exercise more. I just need to stay problem solving-oriented.

Closed Thread