3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/317388-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-may-2019-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

karenrn 05-29-2019 01:15 PM

Good morning coaches,

Just got back from hiking Bell Pass and then walking Otis, who wasn't in the mood to walk. We only got around the block. With all the talk of the green smoothie, I decided I needed a smoothie which is green from the spinach, but I also have pumpkin in it. It's kind of second breakfast. I had my waffle which is 230 calories at about 5 am before I left for my hike but I feel like it's not enough to hold me until lunch time. I listened to podcasts on Backpacher Radio which I enjoy, but I know there aren't enough of them to last for long. We have an old book for summer reading for out book club, Sacajawea, and although I bought it for the Kindle I need to see if they have an audiobook. It would last a long time.

Maryann Seriously, I would want to fire your doctor. Most of them are afraid to bring up weight, which isn't good, but I think yours could use a little help in how to communicate in a helpful way. You are so diligent in working to lose weight and really not quitting is so important. We all know it may be a simple equation, but it is not easy.
Penny I didn't realize the whole family was going away, I thought it was a work conference. Have fun! Are you going to the beach?
Curlyjax Good luck with the diet and the injection. I hope it helps your hip pain.
Bill We do have a land line, but the ringer is off. We only know there is a call when the number is displayed on the corner of the TV screen. Nobody we knows has our home number, so no problem not answering. It just comes with the cable and internet. After hearing about your salmon, I purchased some wild caught Alaskan salmon in individual serving portions from Costco. I've had it before and liked it, but dh isn't a fish lover. I figure I can have fish and he can have chicken or steak occasionally.
Beth Good job staying on plan. Enjoy the theater.

bethturnaround 05-30-2019 12:39 AM

Hi all,

Just a quick note from me tonight--it's late and I want to go to bed. Falsettos is a weird show, but ended strong. I am going to bed hungry tonight for which I give myself credit. Instead of eating I am having some sugar free gum.

Food was as planned. Water intake was close to as planned. Exercise was walking from the train station to the theater and back again--it feels good to do some walking after sitting on the train or at the show!

G'night all,

--Beth

BillBlueEyes 05-30-2019 06:19 AM

Thursday - The Beatles' "Love Me Do" single goes #1 in the United States (1964)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. In the indoor playground, I slid down a fireman's pole. Was proud to do that. I did, however, overlook that the opening was narrow - quite possibly to signal to an adult that this wasn't for them. I had to turn toward the corner of the square hole to fit and even then my glasses got ripped off. But I did it. Showed the DGD that old folks can still be active. My major contribution was to play the wolf while she and her grandmom were inside playing the three little pigs. We've played this before. Often. But, since she invented the game, it continues to be repeated. My trip down the firepole was to simulate the big bad wolf coming down the chimney into a pot of boiling water. After I came into the small space, I had to crawl out through a small opening designed, again, to signal to an adult that they weren't welcome. We also saw a wild hawk show at a local zoo. Their Bald Eagle was HUGE - just monstrous. Got to take a picture of the DGD sanding beside the docent holding the eagle. Exciting.

Eating was only OK. The potluck preceding our book club was vegetarian; felt like I was eating healthy foods. The homemade pound cake, unfortunately, wasn't on my plan, but did make it to my plate. I need to remember to plan a dessert at our book club potluck since they're always there and always good.

maryann - One more vote that your doctor needs to be tutored in his bedside manner. Kudos for recognizing that you don't want to eat because of him.

Karen (karenrn) - Which Sacajawea book are you reading? She's one of the least appreciated heroines of all US history. Neat to buy salmon in individual portions.

curlyjax - Kudos for announcing your diet at work to get your friends to help you with accountability.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Walking to and from the train station is a great place to exercise.

Penny. - You sound well organized for your stay at the hotel. Would think that the history of Persia just about covers the history of the world.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 29 Resist Food Pushers

Or think about it another way. If you were a vegetarian, would you eat meat just to please someone? If you were on a special diet for medical reasons, would you abandon that diet just to spare someone's feelings? You're entitled to do what is right for you, as long as you're polite (but firm, if necessary). People who give you a hard time are the ones who are being unreasonable, not you.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 208.

curlyjax 05-30-2019 07:16 AM

I had the cortisone shot yesterday and was fine for awhile...until the anesthetic wore off. They warned there could be a flareup pain which was worse than the arthritis itself- true! I ended up in agony for about an hour until the tylenol kicked in, and had to skip going to choir. I was sobbing, it was so awful and constant even lying still, unlike the arthritic pain which only hurts when i move. Fortunately today it is MUCH better and so far I think it is easier to walk,although i'm taking it easy for awhile and skipping stretching today. This does make me think about getting the surgery possibly next summer, because I hear the arthritis pain just gets worse, and I can tolerate it for now. I had someone say don't put it off too long, because it can take months to see the surgeon for consult, and then months to schedule it.
I did pretty well with eating yesterday. There was a lunch at work and i did have two tiny sandwiches and some potato chips, but avoided the desserts. I did eat last night since I was really hungry and still dealing with the pain, but the scale has inched down a tiny bit. Today should be on plan with no distractions.

gardenerjoy 05-30-2019 09:29 AM

I'm determined to meet my exercise goal for May.

Exercise: +40, 1005/1100 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: My genealogy research hasn't gone outside of the Americas yet. I have two lines back to immigrant ancestors in the 1600s (persecuted Welsh Quakers on one branch and the adventurous second son of an English aristocrat on another). The rest of the lines are stuck in the mid-1800s until I learn more about how to do research earlier than about 1840 when the census records are less helpful.

Penny. 05-30-2019 09:41 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

The four day conference is for unschoolers. The conference is every year but we haven't been for several years and the kids are excited. The hotel gets taken over by unschooling families and there are "funshops", talks, a talent show, swimming at the pool, and a prom (open to all).

Beth, credit for sticking to plan, ignoring the night time hunger.

Karen, audiobooks do take a lot longer to get through. How did you find the book club?

Bill, big credit for going down the fire station pole, and not hurting anything! lol

Curly, I didn't know those cortisone shots caused so much pain. Owie! I'm glad it didn't continue into today.

Maryann, sorry the doctor made you feel judged. I always wonder what they are thinking when I come in 60-80 pounds different than my last visit every time. They never say anything.

Joy, I'm doing a little cheer leading dance for your monthly exercise goal finish line. You've got this!

maryann 05-30-2019 10:25 AM

Good Morning,

I think the Doc’s remarks still stung as I ate cookies most of the day which is ridiculous because I rarely eat cookies. Scale is edging towards the 70s and I really don’t want to be there. The end of the year thing doesn’t help.

So I bought some specialty waters that are a treat and help. I have a plan for food and a massage scheduled. DS has a presentation at school tonite. No food present which is good because last nite’s award ceremony was where the major cookie damage occurred. The upside was DS won the Junior orchestra award.

I know I can take one meal at a time and remain abstinent just for today.

karenrn 05-30-2019 02:01 PM

Good morning coaches,

I just got home from the gym after taking dh to the airport. He's gone to WA for a golf weekend with fraternity brothers at Lake Chelan which he will thoroughly enjoy. My newly widowed friend was going to come visit, but she caught a horrible cold or worse on the airplane. I'm glad she's not coming sick only because I just hate to be exposed when I don't need to be. Dh will be in Chicago for golf next weekend and hopefully my friend will be feeling better and not contagious by then. I've got a few plans, I think enough to keep me busy for a couple of days. I am meeting friends for dinner tomorrow at an Indian restaurant, so that will be my weekend treat.

Maryann Hopefully the specialty waters will do the trick. I know when I buy myself a treat, even expensive seafood, it can be enough to get me back on track.
Penny Actually audiobooks don't take a lot longer to get through for me because I can listen to them while doing housework, hiking, etc. Also if the reader is too slow I just up the speed. It doesn't look like Sacajawea is available as an audiobook. My bookclub is part of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve Woman's Group. Unfortunately that means the books have to fit into a certain niche. At times I want to quit cause some of the members seem kind of hoity toity, but once I get there I realize most of them are very nice. Your conference sounds very fun. I hope you all have a great time.
GardenerJoy You always meet your exercise goal, so I am certain you will this month too.
CurlyJax I am so sorry that shot hurt so much, it sounds like you were more than miserable. Do you homework finding a surgeon. Do you know anyone who has had a hip replacement and had a speedy recovery? It doesn't seem the referrals provided are always so good, we usually check around for our own doc. If you know any surgical nurses they often can provide a good referral . . . or physical therapists, although most hip replacement patients don't need PT afterwards.
Bill I can just see you sliding down that pole and crawling out the opening (even though I don't know what you look like). I've got to tell you, a potluck sounds really good. Our book Sacajawea (Lewis and Clark Expedition) is written by Anna L. Waldo.
Beth Good job going to bed hungry. That is hard.

bethturnaround 05-31-2019 12:15 AM

Hi everyone!

I scored two $25 tickets to Four Chords and a Gun (about the Ramones) so DD and I saw that tonight. That's two nights in a row we've gone to the theater. For both of them,I met her at the theater--we didn't go out to dinner. I'm doing fine with "all products"--it's the "making choices" that I find so hard. My weight is solidly back in the 170s after hitting 187 one sad day. I never wanted to hit 170 again, let alone 180--getting close to 190 is what scared me into better behaviors.

Food was as planned today--all meal replacements. I've had quite a bit of water--and talked myself out of a glass of red wine and into a bottle of water at the theater tonight. Credit to me!

I'm going to bed hungry again--but that's not a totally bad thing. I even put away DH's snack groceries without being tempted. There will be my food in the morning.

Some of you may have seen the pictures of the tornado destruction in the Dayton/Beavercreek OH area. A home two houses down from where I used to live lost most of its roof. The car wash where my son worked in high school was destroyed. Another old neighbor lost several BIG trees. There's an entire area about 1/4 mile from where I lived still without power--businesses that are closed and don't know when they're going to reopen. I don't know if they've let everyone return but part of the area was evacuated due to gas leaks. I'll be in the area next week for a business trip--I'm going to drive by and see how things are, but I think it's going to be hard to see such devastation in what used to be my home.

Feel lucky,

--Beth

BillBlueEyes 05-31-2019 08:26 AM

Friday - World No Tobacco Day (since 1987, World Health Organization)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The best part of the day was to make it back to the computer store and buy the solid-state hard disk that I wanted. I realized that this old computer has a 500GB hard drive on which I only use 85GB. So, I really don't need a large hard drive. However, the Terabyte only costs marginally more than the 500GB and what self-respecting geek really doesn't want a Terabyte solid state drive. So, I asked DW to buy it for me as an advance gift for Father's Day. She, of course, readily agreed since that would take her off the hook for figuring out what gift I wanted for Father's Day and the money comes from our common checking account anyway. I really bought it. It normally sells for $199.99 but was on sale for $89.99. I saved a wad. And then I bought a new battery for the laptop since I'd saved so much. Then I signed up for a Micro-Center credit card for an additional 5% off every purchase. I signed up using my smartphone - with much help from the cashier - that included taking a picture of the back of my driver's license for the bank. For all that, I not only got my 5% off, but a FREE 36GB thumb drive. It's so hard to believe that a 36GB thumb drive is just given away like a party favor. I'll take the weekend to clone my old mechanical rotating platters hard drive and then swap it in. The software that does this stunt (FREE) says it's easy and fool proof. I'm easily pleased.

Eating was only OK. A neighbor had been raised by her mother that one never returns an empty plate that's been used to give you something. DW had gifted the neighbor some leftover tomato plants. On schedule, the container was returned with two small blueberry cakes. I'm reading the very Beck passages that I'm typing below to distinguish between the idea that I can work the cake into my meal plan and the idea that I have to eat them because the neighbor will ask us one day how we liked them. Beck doesn't cover the notion of lying to a neighbor to stay on plan, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Perhaps a trip to Salt Lake City to explore the genealogical records kept by the Mormons is your next step. Could be a fun trip.

maryann - Congrats to your talented DS for his Junior Orchestra award. Yay for a school event without food.

Karen (karenrn) - An Indian restaurant has opportunities for eating sanely. Good luck.

curlyjax - Ouch for the pain; Yay for the progress. And Kudos for avoiding the desserts at work.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Scoring tickets sounds like fun. Congrats for being able to do two consecutive evenings with your DD.

Penny. - A whole hotel filled with unschoolers sounds really fun.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 29 Resist Food Pushers

How to Say No

Prepare now to turn down someone the next time you're offered something to eat. Here's how:

Create a sense of entitlement about turning down requests to eat. What are the costs to you of accepting the offer? It could make you:
  • Go off your scheduled meal plan.
  • Eat more than you really want.
  • Feel subservient to others.
  • Feel out of control.
  • Stop losing or even gain weight.
  • Overeat or develop a craving.
  • Feel bad about yourself.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 209.

gardenerjoy 05-31-2019 09:58 AM

I'm making my favorite tempeh dish today: https://www.isachandra.com/2008/10/t...sage-crumbles/. DH can't stand the smell so I only do it when he's out of the house. I'll make a double-batch and it will be my lunch for much of the next week.

Exercise: +50, 1055/1100 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: Salt Lake City would be a good trip. Also, Washington DC for the military records of ancestors in the various wars. Also, the county courthouses of all the counties where my ancestors lived. So many trips, so little time.

maryann 05-31-2019 11:57 AM

Weight is nearing the 70s border. Every minute is booked with end of the year stuff and I feel overwhelmed and trapped. Green smoothie this morning. Planned snack later. Lunch is a salad. It is the evening when tired sets in that I hit the peanut butter. Tonite I will just go to bed.

Penny. 05-31-2019 12:20 PM

Quick check-in from the hotel.

Yesterday was on plan until I ended with an alcoholic beverage and some gummie bears. Yuck!I slept and felt poorly so will not repeat it tonight.

I attended an interesting talk for unschooling moms and learned when a bunch of the older unschooling parents became empty nesters in the last few years there was an explosion of divorces happening. This lifestyle is so kid focussed, we forget to take care of our own needs as individials and a couple. I think I already made that realization and adjusted things within the last few years.

Have a great Friday, everyone!

karenrn 05-31-2019 06:49 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was a little more than it should have been yesterday. It wasn't much, a protein bar and a bigger portion than needed at dinner, but enough to move the scale up 1/2 a pound. I'm trying to be more careful today, but I am going out for happy hour at an Indian restaurant. I will limit myself to one beer and try to be careful with my choice of food. I didn't hike today because I had a couple of things to do where I was leaving Otis and I don't like to leave him too many hours each day. We had a good walk this morning and then I did housework for my exercise. I saw the movie Rocketman just now and liked it. Poor Elton John had kind of a sad life as a child. There was a lot of music, which I enjoyed and of course there is the happy ending. Another thing I love about the movies are the previews. I have a pretty good list of movies I want to see including Woodstock, Pavarotti, Maiden, Yesterday, and Blinded by the Light. Also The Art of Racing in the Rain is coming out this summer . . . bring a box of tissues to that one. I loved that book.

Maryann It sounds like the end of the school year can't come soon enough. Hang in there.
Penny Very interesting about the divorces among the empty nesters. Good thing you are aware and working on it before it's a problem.
GardenerJoy My sister in law is very in to genealogy and goes to Salt Lake City annually. She's also made several trips to Europe to track things down. My Dad was also very interested in genealogy and went to Salt Lake City a number of times. Must have some good stuff there.
Bill It is so amazing how inexpensive computer equipment has become. I know my younger brother and I were talking and he told me he got a Texas Instruments calculator for high school graduation because he would need it in college. I know my folks didn't spend huge money on our gifts, but I'm sure it was over $100 back then. Probably our phones do more complicated work than it would have done.
Beth I'm so envious of all the shows you are seeing. That's at least a few hours that food isn't a problem. That's how I see the movies too. I have a rule that I don't eat there, although my friend always has popcorn. It doesn't bother me in the slightest though because the rule has been in place for so long I wouldn't dream of it.
Curlyjax I sure hope you're feeling better today.

Well, I'd better go give Otis some attention since I'm leaving in less than an hour for a little bit. No, he's not spoiled.

BillBlueEyes 06-01-2019 06:19 AM

Discussion continues on the June 2019 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach