Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday's unpredictability meant that I came home very hungry -- credit for coming home and eating my planned snack a couple of hours later than usual!

Credit for writing a plan for today that I think I can follow. I want to bake bread this afternoon but it doesn't fit in my plan to eat any. I can usually fit it in my plan, but I've started limiting my bread (because I feel better and sleep better if I limit it to two slices a day) and I'm going to need it at lunch today. So, this will be an interesting challenge.

Exercise: +35, 490/1100 minutes for March
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/ 160/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Lots of good choices yesterday even if nighttime got a little derailed. Classic issue of spending too long in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up. I have a plan today. That feels good. Even if I am not going down on scale I am so happy I don’t just give up and gain a bunch of weight. It would be even more difficult to lose.
BBE: read about the college scandal uncovered while FBI doing something in Boston. Apparently I can pay 500,000 dollars to get my son into USC. Oh wait, he already can because he worked for it.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #63  

S/C/G: +61/+10/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with cycling class, and weight is down.

The best teacher subbed for cycling class and I got a great workout. Tonights cycling class is back with the one who casually chats about personal life throughout the class. Maybe if I can push myself I can reach the same level of intensity.

Bill, I'm glad the computer is recovered and usable after doing its whatevering. Always an ouch when tech goes out and needs replacing.

Maryann, maintaining is also awesome. A skill I still need to learn.

Curly, grief is such a rollercoaster of emotions. I imagine your almost done with the high school years?

Joy, I ordered a bread baking recipe book and am hoping to expand my skills. I just wish I could slice and keep it in the freezer like I do my store-bought, but the slices don't break off easily with my homemade.
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:03 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - National Pi Day, 3.14 (originated at the San Francisco Exploratorium)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She can last four hours at the inside playspace where we take her. Climbing the 'jungle gym' is getting to be comfortably familiar. Her mom got sent a photo of her dressed as an alligator, one of the many costumes that the kids can don then run in circles around the other kids dressed as firemen, policemen, dinosaurs, ... the whole spectrum. When we picked her up, she walked outside and said, "It's a wonderful day. I can hear the birds singing." When I picked myself up off the ground, I wondered what kid's program she got that from. DW, not so blown away that she couldn't think, told her that it was a Cardinal and the three of us looked for it. Didn't spot it, so had to take off. The new book that we had for her was The Plant Sitter by Margaret Bloy Graham. She immediately demanded that it be read again.

Eating was a challenge. The daylight part of the day went according to plan, CREDIT moi. The evening was a three hour working meeting around a table of snack/dinner foods from which I had planned to make my dinner. I nibbled on too many crackers, hummus, cheese, and trail mix. To my credit, I didn't grab one of the freshly baked corn muffins. Gotta grab onto the small achievements.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for thinking through the bread baking repercussions.

maryann - Yep, the college admissions scandal is the talk around here. Congrats for raising a DD who can earn his own admission.

curlyjax - Neat strategy to have the train as a limiter on Flower Show purchases. Yep, a variety of friends contributes to a sane life.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Waving. Thought of you on this, the Geek day of the year.

Penny. - Yay for occasionally getting the best cycling teacher. You've become pretty regular with that.

Readers -
Quote:
day 23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

Putting Fairness in Perspective
If the thought that dieting is unfair encourages you to eat, do the following: . . .

Remind yourself why you decided to diet in the first place. Unless you're forced to be on a diet due to a medical reason, you've freely chosen to diet. You don't have to diet. You might not feel this way right at this moment, but not long ago you strongly felt that the advantages of dieting were worth the hard work. At that time, you felt that the disadvantages of not dieting were too severe. Read your Advantages Response Card again.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 184.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

The Boston Flower Show was disappointing. There were few exhibits this time, and most of the floor space was vendors, some of which had nothing to do with gardening at all (ie poorly made kids clothes). Apparently the exhibits are costing too much and some horticultural groups are bankrupt.I ended up bringing home a beautiful table runner imported from Provence (with flowers on it!). But I am a little inspired to actually plant some flowers this year, and it was fun to hang out with my friend who is an avid gardener.
Penny- yes, my son is a junior. We really need to start looking at colleges, groan.
Bill- you must sleep well after a day with DGD! Those indoor playspaces are fun but exhausting.
Joy- I love homemade bread but it is like dessert for me, hard to stop eating it.
Maryann- yay for good choices.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-14-2019 at 07:16 AM.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #66  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I skipped cycling class because my friend didn't want to go and I was trying to get a bunch of food prepped for our trip to the coast this weekend.

I didn't quite get everything made and will finish today.

Bill, yay for giving DGD such a great day, even including singing birds!

Curly, that's a bummer about the low turnout for the gardening show. I'm glad it was still nice just hanging out with a friend.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #67  

Good Morning,

Very excited to be heading up to Tahoe in the Sierra Nevadas. I am going to ski for the first time in two years. I want skiing to be apart of my retirement so I better keep up my skills. Yesterday was a win day with food and exercise.

Penny: I hate exercise instructors who chat. I want to pretend I am an elite athlete with a grilling coach
BBE: On video we have three year old DS looking out a window and saying “ I can see a Halloween glow out there”.
Curleyjax: ironically we are farmers and neither my husband nor I can grow a houseplant
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Ides of March. Julius Caesar Beware (44 B.C.E.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Our family has been hit with the loss of a dearly loved 64-year-old. It's a loss to her DH and two kids as well as all the rest of us. And it's a striking reminder that we don't get to choose our exit time.

We're off on a flight to Florida for the weekend to attend the memorial service and provide whatever comfort an extended family provides when it feels as if there can be no comfort. It will be a super eating challenge. Not only will there be the tensions of family who, if forced together long enough, can remember that they are just family - not chosen friends. But they are active members of a church that is known for using food to show love. I'll have two - not one but TWO - meals compiled by church members to show their love and to comfort. I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm already drooling over the thought of Southern Fried Chicken and Memphis Style Ribs. Have already had the thought, One more rib will show how much I loved her. See you Monday.

maryann - Congrats for keeping up with your skiing. Good exercise that. And terrific flexibility to get up when you fall.

curlyjax - Too bad that the Boston Flower Show was disappointing. DW has stopped going for the reasons that you stated. I went only once back in its glory days.

Penny. - Have a joyful family trip to "the coast" - whichever coast you have in mind. If you mean Cape Cod, expect snow on the beaches.

Readers -
Quote:
day 23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

Putting Fairness in Perspective
If the thought that dieting is unfair encourages you to eat, do the following: . . .

Make a mental list of the advantages in your life. As compared with many people in the world, you have much more freedom to do what you want, to speak out about what's important to you, to live much of your life as you choose. It's unfair that you have all these freedoms when others don't. Think about other examples of advantages you enjoy.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 184.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #69  

Morning,

Off to ski on some demo equipment. I am in the market to buy new. This makes me feel like an athlete and encourages me to stick to my food plan.

BBE: how wonderful you and yr wife can be the support such a shock requires. No Matter what you eat, it is just a weekend. It will end, you will come back and use yr skills to hop back OP.

Wave to all.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #70  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with strengthening class, and weight is holding.

The kids are excited for our weekend away, especially since we found a dog friendly rental and will have the dogs. I food prepped lasagna (with tofu instead of cheese), a rice with beans and veg, bread, and a maple cornmeal banana bread.

I have a feeling I will be eating the food and they will want to order pizza.

Bill, condolences to you and your family. Hopefully the reunion of family is a nice one and the warm weather is good for the mood.

Maryann, I hope your ski equipment shopping is successful, and not too spendy. Skiing is so 'spensive!
Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #71  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I got back from my Grand Canyon adventure on Thursday evening and proceeded to get a 36 hour stomach bug. I can't tell you how fortunate it was that I hiked out of the canyon first. I don't know what I would have done. The hike was great and I was very glad that two of the seven had done this one before. On day number 3 of 5, we had a rock wall to climb up and over and then a large slide area to go down, oh and that was after going down a slot canyon to get there. We had rain a couple of late afternoons and big winds which dried the tent after the rain. The good news was that I did well and my friend who led the group told me I am ready for the JMT and she's done most of it. My weight was lower when I returned and even lower now, but I'm sure some of that will return. Our friend died while I was gone, just one week after we went to Tucson and my dh took him golfing. It was 30 minutes before my dh's birthday.

Bill I'm so sorry about your loss. It is so hard when people die. It sounds like it was sudden.

Maryann I hope you are having a blast skiing. Sounds like so much fun. I have not skied in probably 40 years. At this point I am probably only good for cross country skiing. I'm going to a PNP gathering tomorrow and will meet Queen Corrine.

Penny I'm assuming you are at the Oregon coast. I hope you are having a wonderful time.

Curlyjax It's a bummer the flower show wasn't what you were hoping for and what it used to be. The table runner sounds beautiful. I love linens.

Waving to GardenerJoy and Beth!
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #72  

Karen, I'm so sorry about your friend! The hike sounds very challenging and you did it. Awesome!

I'm at the beach and all is well. Yesterday was on plan and I have no scale to check on the weight.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #73  

Good Morning,

Skiing was fun. I’m so glad I was still able to enjoy it. I found new skis I like and I will buy them along with a season pass. Great exercise. I was sorely out of shape. Friends have come up and we are all going out today. Food was food.

Karen: WOW! You are going to meet Corrine in Nashville? Fun. You have inspired me to try Grand Canyon when I retire. I will most likely go with a tour. My SIL is up for anything.
Penny: Boy I remember prepping food for vacations. Quite a money saver.

Last edited by maryann; 03-16-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #74  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Maryann Corrine is in Phoenix for a seminar and is meeting some of us at Panera tomorrow afternoon.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #75  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/176/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

HI everyone,

Struggling--not a big surprise. But I'm making progress on some fronts--the PT is really helping my knee and I'm able to walk for longer periods of time without discomfort or pain. It still gives out though, which is a sharp painful thing. I'll be continuing with my PT for the rest of the month and then we'll see what April brings.

I have to be honest with myself and recognize that:
  1. I'm not giving my weight and health enough time
    1. Need to read Beck (and other books) more
    2. Need to make this forum a priority--reading everyone's posts in the morning and posting myself in the evening
    3. Need to go back to really looking at my cards--and maybe even making new ones
  2. I need to internalize that I am not depriving myself when I don't eat food that doesn't serve me
  3. I have to find a way to accept that I need to not start snacking in order to not over snack
I met a few times with a woman who supposedly specializes in eating disorders but it wasn't a good fit. She wasn't as clear on CBT as Beck is (although CBT is supposed to be one of her areas). I felt as if our appointments were really unscheduled--"think about what you're feeling when you start eating". She seemed used to people being ashamed of themselves or feeling "bad" about themselves and wanted to focus on those things--but that's just not where I am. I'm embarrassed by how much I eat, so I want to hide it sometimes, but it's not being ashamed of ME and I don't feel I'm a bad person because I ate three donuts.

I am recognizing that I really don't want to quit eating sweets. I don't want to have to. I've been having this discussion with myself for 15 months. I can't handle sweets responsibly--and can't really handle most bread products. What I have to do is to accept that I need to define some "bright lines" and accept--even embrace--that's what's best for me.

My plan is to return to the Optifast for the next 6 weeks. I'm going to use that time to do some self-work and reading on bright lines and getting myself emotionally ready to not resume sweets at all. I've got two major Mensa weekends in that time frame and those are times when I typically do very poorly--I'll be better off if I have some absolutes set up for myself. In late April, I'll work on planning out 3 weeks of menus, so I can rotate through them.

I am disappointed that the therapist wasn't a good fit for me--but she really wasn't--I will have to decide if I'm going to look for someone else.

On the plus side, I'm still in my size 12 jeans (although they're a bit snug). I still look so much better and have so much more energy than I did before starting this last journey. I saw a picture of me from a year and a half ago and it's amazing how much better I look, and how much better my blood work is, and how much better I feel. I don't want to undo that--I have too much to lose.

So that's where I am.

--Beth

Bill--I'm so sorry for your loss. May you and your family find comfort in your memories.
bethturnaround is offline   Reply With Quote