Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 01-01-2019, 06:43 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Happy New Year (for those using the Gregorian calendar)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - We welcomed in the New Year early in the evening; didn't wait until midnight. I've grown to trust the mechanics of astronomy enough to believe that the earth will turn and will orbit the sun even without my supervision. It's fun to be reminded that we've only used the Gregorian (Pope Gregory) calendar since October, 1582. Before that we had used the Julian (Julius Caesar) calendar since 46 B.C. 'We' is selective since acceptance wasn't universal. England didn't switch to the Gregorian calendar until 1752 due to the fear that it was a Catholic plot since it was introduced by the Pope. Apparently, there were riots because the switch eliminated September 3 through September 14, demanding that the government “give us our 11 days.” It has also been suggested that the riots didn't happen and that the transition was smooth.

Life is simple. The big news is that the city picked up our Christmas tree from the curb already. A nearby town has a rule that the tree will only be picked up during the five days of the first full week after New Year's Day. If you miss, you have to haul it off yourself.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Researching baptisms in the 1840s is getting serious about your genealogy.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, weekly plans work when our eating lives become predictable. The calories in mac and cheese are surprisingly high.

curlyjax - Kudos, indeed, for bringing home half of your lunch. A new dishwasher is a joy after an old one become hit or miss.

Penny. - By the standards your book suggests, I need to add a few inches as well as losing a few pounds, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 19 Stop Fooling Yourself

what are you thinking?
You might not have many self-deluding, sabotaging thoughts right this minute. But these thoughts probably will surface later, when you want to eat something you shouldn't. Be prepared and have your responses ready.

Sabotaging Thought: It's okay to eat this because everyone else is eating it.
Helpful Response: I have to decide whether I want to eat like everyone else and remain overweight or control my eating and lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 164.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Happy New Year! I actually made a healthy meal of ferro, beans and veggies, and indulged in dessert because I was really hungry 45 minutes later. Okay, and I was also rationalizing, its the last few hours of 2018, may as well indulge. Today's fun plan includes finally seeing Bohemian Rhapsody with a friend. I also need to tackle some home chores and get groceries, I think most stores are open.
A new year and new resolutions! Aside from the obvious, I want to try doing something new once a month. I also want to slowly make the house neater, and maybe change furniture around etc-think about how to use the spaces in a new way. And frankly, although I will never stop missing my DH, I would like to date at some point. i miss the companionship of a man.Hopefully that's not TMI!
Karen- it is indeed easier to manage when your DH is in agreement about food, that is great. I'm sure the new year will bring many hiking adventures for you!
Penny- that is too funny about those weight ideas, that really sounds underweight to me. Not everyone is petitely framed!
Bill-yay for Christmas tree being gone. I'm ready to take down everything but DD wants it up a little longer.
Joy-so interesting about your genealogy!
Off to shower and weigh myself (sigh) for a starting point. This will be a much better year in many aspects, and I'm determined to make it so for health as well.

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-01-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's unpredictably meant that I swapped out a snack, but the new choice was at least as healthy as the original one, so I'm fine with that.

We had a successful adventure with microfilm at the library -- we found proof that my husband's 3x great-grandfather was the second of the three husbands of his 3x great-grandmother. The documents we found on-line were conflicting, but the baptism record on microfilm made it clear. That was very satisfying and it's easy to see why genealogy is so addictive.

And, because St. Louis is really a small town, I got to chat with someone I went to library school with who now runs the genealogy department for the county library.

Yesterday's summary
Made food plan: 100%
Implemented food plan: 80%
Exercise: +20, 1000/1000 minutes for December

Happy 2019, everyone!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 01-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy New Year, Coaches.

I am very excited that 2018 has been laid to rest. Although I had so much for which to be grateful this year, I am looking forward to moving beyond my mood disorder and other physical issues to greater peace. I woke up happy that we were all snug in our beds, off to breakfast and then off to church.

I have had some fun listening to Phit 'n Phat. As Karen said, the language is a little much and there is much with which I don't agree but I am happy to "take what I need and leave the rest" as we say in my 12th step program. Here is the nugget of truth that I found in yesterday's podcast ( which I listened to while sweeping out the garage.):

Don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life because at some point you will just gain the weight back.

Now this makes total sense to me. As I age, I have discovered that everyday must be intentional with food and movement. It doesn't have to be perfect but I have to have structure or I am quickly swept away. I feel like I am in a swiftly moving river. If I am not actively swimming, I will easily be swept backward. So on this first day of the year, these are the things that I have proven I am willing to do for a lifetime. They work for me, maybe not anybody else but for me.

Weigh everyday.
Log my food into MFP
Five fruits and veggies a day
Get into motion somehow most days

I have my MFP weight/food logs back to 2012. I am three pounds less than I was then and was never outside plus or minus five in all these years. So these habits have been great maintenance tools. That is saying something for a girl who was over 200 pounds more than once in her life.

I would like to add "make a food plan and stick to it" and "sit while I eat." These are my New Year's resolutions.

BBE: I wouldn't put it past the Catholics to try and arrange time. I know since I am one of them
Curlyjax: Makes total sense to have a desire for male companionship. I am the same way. Certainly not TMI.
Penny: I read Eat to Live. I found the weight suggestion ridiculous for me. I also struggled with throwing out whole categories of food. I did make the veggie soup which was a good way to get all my veggies in.

Last edited by maryann; 01-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Happy New Year!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I finished that Eat to Live book and it marked the 34th book for 2018. It was my first year with a kindle and goodreads account that keeps track of everything. I had no idea how many books per year is average for me and when I signed up for the Goodreads annual reading challenge, I picked 12 for myself. It's fun keeping track!

Bill, the history of the calendar is interesting. I still haven't figured out that midnight will strike without me.

Curly, good 2019 goals!

Joy, a real history detective! That's very cool to have those records available.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick post. I've been totally on plan the past two days. I did get a long walk yesterday, but today I just stayed home and took down Christmas and other things around the house. I'll hike in the morning tomorrow and seeing If Beale Street Could Talk in the afternoon.
I hope New Year's is starting out well for all of you. More tomorrow. Our college team is in the Rose Bowl, so even though they're losing I'm watching.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #8  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Another year for us all :)

Why, Hello Coaches!

I am re-joining the flock here. I need you guys to remind me I have a plan and long term goals. Not too much has changed I don't think since I was last here. Very appreciative of our long term practitioners of Beck.

I have been way way off course for a while. Not continuously but not consistently enough to make any progress down the scale. I feel up to doing something about that again and I have re-started my foodplan and taken some time to contemplate the direction of this new year. For this month I will experiment with three things 1) reading for an hour everyday 2) cleaning for an hour everyday 3) blogging for an hour/ doing digital things for my blog/online presence.

In addition I am working my foodplan incrementally, the way that I know I get myself back on track.

More later but for now Happy New Year!

Last edited by onebyone; 01-01-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #9  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

So, it's January 1st, and like many people, I'm doing a reset. My eating has been completely out of control for several days, and for a large part of the time since Thanksgiving. My mind feels back in the groove, though, and even though I ate enough sweets to feel ill at multiple points this long weekend, I feel ready to be back on track--and have no strong temptations coming up that would derail me getting back to where I want to be.

I started a new wellness journal today. Food Journal & Fitness Diary with Daily Gratitude and Meal Planner for Healthy Living and Weight Loss Diet One of the women in my weight loss program recommended it and we're both doing it. She started yesterday; I started today. I did start today with goals and got through them--5 products, 38 minute walk (goal was 30), weighed, and checked my (out of control) sugar. I ought to spend less time restarting and more time holding steady, but restarting is better than continuing a relapse.

I'm going to update my ticker tomorrow--I won't like it but I'm going to update it--I've gained back 15+ lbs--and didn't want to face it or believe it or accept it. But facts is facts--and I've got to move forward from where I am now, which is still minus 56+ lbs. That's not the 75 I was down--but I want to get back there.

We had a weekend long holiday party with way too much food, including that my BFF and I did too much baking. However, almost NONE of it is left--I ruthlessly gave away almost all the sweets except for a few DH wanted to keep. There's some packaged candy left and I told DD she could take it to work for people or I'd toss it--it wasn't staying in the house. Because there was leftover "real" food as well, DH will have lots of leftover ham, pulled pork, and sloppy joes for the next few weeks--I froze it in small bags. That way if I do go back on full fast for a few months, he'll have some food already prepared. And he's a big boy--he can manage to feed himself for a while again :-) We have 4 house guests still (2 are leaving tomorrow; stepDD is leaving Thursday, and DD's girlfriend is staying through the week). Everything is organized and put away (or as much so as it can be with 4 house guests) and the cleaning service comes tomorrow, so the house will be completely back in order to start the new year.

New year, new plan--and I'm in a way better position than I was this time last year--I can build on that.

onebyone: Welcome back! The new year is a good time to refocus.

karenrn: Credit for walking and house clean up!

G'night all,

--Beth
Old 01-02-2019, 05:15 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - US & Canada agree to preserve Niagara Falls (1929)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - New Year's Day bird walk saw an unexpected bunch of birds enjoying the bugs and berries available in unusual 60 degree F weather. Would have felt seriously overdressed except that a brisk wind kept us cool enough to continue. Three Red-tailed Hawks and a Cooper's Hawk were special sightings. Later we walked, CREDIT moi, to an afternoon concert with two friends - all enjoying the unseasonably warm and sunny day. At the concert during Vivaldi's Concerto in C Major for sopranino recorder, a burly guy came on stage to play the soloist sopranino recorder. It was so small, yet filled the auditorium. According to the conductor, orchestras usually just assign a piccolo to reach the high notes that this little instrument plays.

Eating was OK - except that FREE champagne and chocolates were offered. I skipped the champagne but had a few chocolates. The bad news is that they weren't particularly good; I wasted a snack on standard, Hershey-quality milk chocolate. My mind was all a-twitter with Bach's Brandenburg Concerto and such that I just expected celestial chocolates as well. That justifies the first one; the several that followed have no excuse whatsoever. I'm grateful to live in a society where there are folks who devote their lives to the performing arts.

onebyone - Yay for "I have a plan and long term goals." Yep, "incrementally" seems like a wise way forward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - So neat that your microfilm excursion was a success.

maryann - Thanks for "Don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life."Neat that you've made realistic resolutions.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for being totally on plan over two holidays.

curlyjax - Bohemian Rhapsody is on my list; reviews seems to be extremely positive or negative. Love the notion of something new once a month.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Your Wellness Planner sounds like a good helper. Kudos getting all that food out of your house.

Penny. - It's great that Goodreads keeps the record of your books for the year. 34 seems like a goodly number for a busy person.

Readers -
Quote:
day 19 Stop Fooling Yourself

what are you thinking?
You might not have many self-deluding, sabotaging thoughts right this minute. But these thoughts probably will surface later, when you want to eat something you shouldn't. Be prepared and have your responses ready.

Sabotaging Thought: It's okay to eat this because I want it - and, besides, I don't really care!
Helpful Response: I might not care right at this moment, but I'll care in a few minutes - I'll be very unhappy if I eat something I shouldn't. And I sure will care when I find that I'm not losing weight!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 164.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did fairly well yesterday, lots of healthy foods, although I did get into the leftover kisses at the end of the day. Well, they're gone now! And I used the stationary bike,more for my hip than anything else, but still. I liked the movie Bohemian Rhapsody: and then after watching it of course i read up on everything they got wrong or right. I'm up early today because DS overslept- its back to school after the break. He has never missed the bus so I am quite happy to drive him today!
Onebyone-it's great to see you!! Your goals for the month sound great.
Beth- I've been over my ticker for awhile too but i really don't want to update it, you're not alone.
Bill- if you don't like the music of Queen, I'm not sure you would like the movie. But re-visiting the crazy styles of the 70s could be fun!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #12  
Green Tomatoes

I skipped a snack in the afternoon, only to have a little something extra after supper. An afternoon snack is a habit that can work for me. A little something extra after supper has a very bad track record for me. So, I'll nip that in the bud.

I'll join the crowd of folks who need to confront the scale, never mind that it's going to be more than I want to see. Like maryann, I know that weighing every day works for me and I want to get back to that. I'm out of the habit, now, so that's going to take a bit to develop even after I've talked myself into being willing.

I gave myself a stair-climbing challenge for the new year: how many flights of stairs can I climb in 5 minutes? We have a two-story house plus a basement, so that's two flights up that I count and two flights down that I don't count. Yesterday, the answer was 14 flights. I'm hoping to get more through the year. It was a good way to get my heart-rate up! I won't want to do that every day, but if I can manage 2 or 3 times a week, I'll probably improve.

Yesterday's summary
Made food plan: 100%
Implemented food plan: 70%
Exercise: +30, 30/1100 minutes for January
Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I am loving all the "new year, new me" energy online right now. I use the Youfood app to photo log my food (fabulous for cutting mindless eating) and people who have disappeared are back at it.

Maryann, I agree about the Eat to Live book. I have read 9 health/diet books this last year and the common infomercial format cracks me up but there is usually a few take-aways and a few eye roll moments.

Beth, hopefully it will get easier now that the holidays are over.

Onebyone, good luck with your goals!

Bill, LOL at the cheap chocolates!

Curly, my fav were the hershey hugs. That's good the temptation is out of the house now.

Joy, good idea with the stair climbing!

Karen, kudos for the stretch of days on plan!

Last edited by Penny.; 01-02-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Welcome back, onebyone

Yesterday was OP. 2 pounds up from ticker.

Today’s tip from a podcast was small changes make all the difference. My small change this week was to add truvia to the sugar bowl. I sweeten my coffee and I use a spoon to put the sugar in. With half sugar, half Truvia, I do not lick the spoon before I put it in the sink. Embarrassing to admit the straight sugar shots but there you have it. This has made a big difference in sugar consumption during coffee breaks.

Sat while I ate.
Made a food plan.

Off to pack a bathing suit because BBE says there is a heatwave.

Last edited by maryann; 01-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I have a few minutes before I leave for the Beall Street movie so I'll post so I don't forget. Food continues to be on plan. I am working on leaving a few bites on the plate (which sometimes means transferred to dh's plate), and only eating until I am satisfied. I have been so used to eating by the clock and eating all of what I figured I could based on MFP calories, that this is a change for me. I'm pretty much eating the same things I ate before, so not a huge deal, except a few bites less. This morning after walking Otis with my long underwear on under my pants, and then I hiked Sunrise with Hiking Suzanne also with the long underwear. Crazy. It is only 47 now at 12:30. I weight frequently and now have the digital scale and I'm using the Happy Scale Ap. I've gained 4/10's of a pound since 12/7. I'll take it! I am above ticker though because I did my gaining before the holiday season.

Maryann I agree that I don't really want to do things that I can't do forever. Believe me, I have done that plenty in the past though. I'm eating far less fruit than I used to because I ate so much of it and this month I'm doing a dry January. Now I'm not sure I'll do that forever, but I know it helps with my weight loss.
Penny The energy is everywhere. I love it too.
GardenerJoy Stair climbing is great exercise. I don't have any in my house, but luckily most of my hikes have a good amount of elevation gain.
CurlyJax Is the bike helpful for your hip, or just not causing more pain like walking might?
Bill Everyone I know that has seen Bohemian Rhapsody has loved it, even those who I thought might not. I love all kinds of music except maybe that head banging stuff . . so almost any movie with a lot of music is my cup of tea.
Beth Your journal sounds great and it's always nice when someone else is doing the same thing.
Onebyone It's so nice to see you back. Sounds like you have some good goals for the year. I just love me some good goals.

You all have a great day . . .I had better get out the door pronto.
Closed Thread