Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Italian film director Federico Fellini born (1920 , Rimini, Italy)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I had all the ingredients in hand to make the green salad for the evening's event. All except cherry tomatoes. ARGH! At four o'clock with the snow starting, I walked, CREDIT moi, to the nearest supermarket to buy cherry tomatoes. Was actually fun; the snow wasn't slippery yet. I expected a mob of folks anticipating the predicted bad snowstorm, but found few shoppers. I did find our favorite cereal, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, on sale for $1.88 per box. I bought a dozen - with no car, and no reusable bags to carry them home. So the walk home was with two stuffed brown paper bags and my backpack filled to bursting. But I was the hero since we'll get three to six months from those.

Eating at the potluck was good, CREDIT moi. I put so much green salad on my plate that I didn't have room for the shrimp-and-rice dish main course. I did fine. To my surprise, many folks showed up despite the snow/sleet. We watched the movie RBG which I'd seen before. It's a superb movie about a remarkable person. Her friendship with Justice Scalia - polar opposite in legal opinions - boggles the mind.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for an uncancelled event due to unfallen snow.

Beth (bethturnaround) - So you got all the snow that didn't make it out here. Sorry to hear that your DH got hurt by the snowblower - they're vicious machines.

Penny. - Neat to be watching Star Trek - long ago and far away.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now
If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Learn from your mistake. For example, did you:
  • Encounter an unexpected trigger?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 168.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! I was visiting my folks for a few days and it was very busy. My mom is on hospice and not doing well, eating very little. She is still able to walk short distances in the apartment. It was wonderful to see her, we've had some nice intereactions, and I helped my dad make some decisions about getting some help in. He will be 88 next month and has been doing a great job but is exhuasted. I wish I could be there more but its a 5 hour drive, and of course I have my kids and my job here. Dad called last night and is thrilled that cognitively she is clearing a bit now that she is off chemo- or maybe had too many meds in her system for a few days. I'm planning on going back on friday if the weather is ok.
My amazing teenager is outside shoveling- just woke up and went out on his own, what a great kid! I will get out there at some point. And my wonderful neighbors usually plow the ends of the driveway for us since I don't have a plow. I will have to buy more thank you beer for them!
We are in the middle of a bad storm, with freezing rain predicted as the day goes on.My daughter is supposed to go to work later, I hope they cancel the shift. no on needs to be shopping for clothes in this weather! And tomorrow I need to drive her back to college, hopefully the roads should be all cleared bu then.

Wave to all, will get back to regular posting soon!

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #123  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was a smidge over budget and weight is holding. It should all even out for the week after today.

The family is getting tired of my vegan shopping and cooking so the teen drove them all to the grocery store for treats like cow's milk and cheese, candy and donuts. On the way there my husband saw a van run over someone! The news reports the van he saw ran into two people, a couple, and a woman died and a man was not hurt too badly. The van drove off and they are still trying the locate the person.

Beth, you're doing so great! Kudos for getting the weight back down.

Joy, I hope the salad plans went okay. All this snow talk makes me want some.

Bill, a walk in the early snowfall sounds so nice. Credit for filling up on salad.

Curly, I was wondering how it was going with your mom, and the kids left at home. I'm glad things went well. Your son heading out to shovel on his own is amazing to me. lol
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Promised personals:

Penny: How horrifying for your husband to see that accident! Credit for you trying to incorporate some vegan and being amused by your family who went to counteract the attempt. Somewhere in the middle always seems to be the right path.
BBE: Many a day I have bought 12 of something for the right price. One black Friday I bought enough of my deodorant to last literally 6 years. Good Luck this afternoon with the Patriots.
Karen: I tried the" stand up sit down test." It is easy for me to get down as well. I wonder about events that signal "old". My mom told me at one point you don't grow new eyebrows. So I stopped plucking all but the stray. When will my last "sitting cross legged" be? I want to ski this winter because I want to ski in my 70s. I guess it is all about continued perseverance.
gardenerjoy: I had a thought that the winter storm might be over reported. It certainly was when describing the almost nothing we received here in California. Will you watch the Kansas City game?
Beth: Sorry to hear about DH. It does seem like one injury after another at this age. Super credit for nearly getting back to where you were.I do not do well with sweets either. It is difficult to figure how, when, and if to incorporate treats.
curleyjax: I am so sorry about your mother. There is so much loss you have had to deal with this past year. So glad you keep posting. We are thinking about you.

As for me, I spent a great holiday Saturday doing a few things I love. I took all morning to read a book cover to cover in a favorite chair. It was not Camus or anything but it raised a few few interesting questions and was engaging. The book was My Sister's Keeper. It totally lost me in a ridiculous ending but what the heck. Then I met DH for lunch down on the farm and we drove around. It was good to spend some time together.

As for my food life, I continue to listen to Phit and Phat podcasts. The latest one talks again about systems that are so easy that they make quitting harder than staying on plan. I am going to renew my vow of food plans. I continue to hop off them just before dinner. So I am going to take the advice of P and P and write a plan not designed to lose weight but to practice sticking to plan. I do not know why I am so resistant to do this. My plan will incorporate two snacks in the afternoon and a full dinner. That seems to be what I am eating anyway. One of those snacks will be a dessert type item. I will sit down and eat everything. ( I must give myself credit for sitting down more often. ) My goal for this system is to practice following through on my commitments. It is also important to me to eat with my family instead of snacking before dinner and then not eating anything. These are worthy goals.The podcast recommended the book "Atomic Habits" so I might order it.

Exercise plan will include going to the gym and watching some football while I am on the treadmill.

Have a great Sunday.

Last edited by maryann; 01-20-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #125  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

I’ve had a lazy day—DH and I shared the sectional reading all day. For some reason, though, it didn’t occur to either of us to light a fire. I guess we only think about that in the evening.

Food was short one product today. I’m not supposed to do that but it’s how today worked out. Water was a bit light too since I tie those together.

tomorrow will be more productive—we're going car shopping in the evening

G'night all

—Beth
Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Joy was watching the Super Blood Wolf Moon eclipse just past midnight. I'd step out for a minute with my binoculars then duck back in immediately. It's about 8 degrees F now. Exercise was dealing with a few inches of snow with much sleet. It was first use of our snowblower since I spent a fortune to have it tuned this summer; I was so glad to have it. We called a neighbor, one of the joint owners, that it was her turn. Got their answering machine. Ouch! So, I got coated up again and did their walk and front steps. With the polar vortex planning to settle in, her unshoveled sidewalk would be a big hazard and her unshoveled steps would prevent mail delivery. I hope they're on a vacation somewhere warm. Got another bit of exercise when we walked to the home of friends for dinner - a long planned date that wasn't easily rescheduled since they'd already prepared the meal. We dressed warmly and both DW and I used our hiking sticks to prevent slipping on the ice. The walk was slightly less than a mile each way and was easier than we expected. Neither of us fell, nor even slipped. DW wore ice-gripping treads over her boots; I didn't but carried mine in my backpack in case I was wrong.

The other news was enjoying the New England Patriots win the AFC championship game in Kansas City against the formidable Chiefs. I only got to watch thirty minutes of the game before the TV was turned over to Victoria and Albert - another commitment made weeks ago that wasn't negotiable. Was a busy day.

maryann - Yay for taking the time to read a book cover-to-cover in one day. The treadmill is a good place to watch football.

curlyjax - Sending supportive thoughts for your mother and father going forward. That's a tough distance away. I've heard many stories about folks whose mental condition improves when there's no more chemo. Congrats for raising a kid who goes out to shovel on his own. Have a good drive back with your DD today.

Beth (bethturnaround) - A lazy day is needed now and then. Kudos for doing a four product day.

Penny. - What an awful thing that your DH had to witness. LOL at your kids seeking some non-vegan treats.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now
If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Learn from your mistake. For example, did you:
  • Wind up surrounded by food you hadn't planned to get.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #127  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'll just post quickly before my company is up. Saturday's food plan was changed due to the line at the 1st restaurant being too long, but I think I did a fairly equitable swap. Yesterday food was on plan and my friend and I went to the gym in the morning. In the afternoon we met the other gals at the Civic Center to listen to some music outside and did a little shopping. I'm not sure how we'll fit in exercise today. It may just be a walk before we ride (with the group that totals 6) down to see where another Washington gal and her husband bought a house about 45 minutes away.

The group doesn't have much of an itinerary and I find that difficult. They are all part of a book club group that I started when I was in Washington. I am no longer in the group, so am just an outside participant and friend. I am a planner and like to know what I'm going to be doing. Tomorrow some of them will go to the Desert Botanical Gardens and I'll opt out since I've been there many times, then they are all coming to my house for dinner. Dh is flying to Washington tomorrow. He's flying in to Portland rather than Seattle so he can see the baby who is 3 pounds now and has been upgraded to a room with a window. I think previously he was in a dark room with less stimulation.

I'll get to personals when I have a little more time.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #128  

Thanks for the support everyone, I appreciate it. I talk frequently with my dad so he can vent I feel so fortunate to be emotionally close to both my folks, and so glad I can be a support to them in any way.We survived the storm and didn't lose power, my main concern. We are supposed to be leaving for college in 3 hours, we'll see what happens. Even though the storm is over I don't want to drive home at dark. I hit black ice once and had a bad accident, and it is super cold out today. I have supper for tonight already planned and the sweet stuff is leaving the house today with DD, so food will be easier for a bit.
Bill- I would be with your DW on choosing pbs over a football game any day! Maybe she'll let you watch the superbowl Brave to venture out in the ice, good for you!
Maryann-sounds like a nice day. and a realistic food plan. /you are doing well!
Penny- too funny about your family revolting about veganism!
Beth- that sounds like a fabulous lazy day!!
Karen- sounds like you're having fun. I'm a planner too, I'm with you!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #129  
Green Tomatoes

We got snow that I didn't expect yesterday. Not much, but enough to shovel so that the installer can make it up the driveway tomorrow with our new dishwasher. So, that's my exercise planned for today.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #130  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

My windshield wipers got a workout while I drove around for work the past three days. Lots of rain! I am ready to have a cozy, lazy day at home today.

My teen son, who already has his driver's license but hardly likes to drive, requested to use the car to drive to a party on the other side of Portland. This will involve night driving and many lane changes and freeways. Eeek! I said okay but my anxiety is growing with each hour. He's almost 18. I need to let him do stuff...I guess. Lol

Maryann, your relaxing day sounds perfect!

Beth, credit for the on plan day. A lazy day on the couch sounds great to me.

Bill, kudos for being a great neighbor! I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Karen, how wonderful your little niece is doing well! Have a good day with your old book club friends.

Curly, Sending good thoughts your way for the drive back to school today.

Joy, credit for getting your snow cleared. Enjoy the new dishwasher today!

Last edited by Penny.; 01-21-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #131  

Darn. Lost post! It has been a while since that has happened.
Short version of post then:

Credit for sticking to plan. It is difficult to create a non weight loss plan. Failure I think is ingrained in me in terms of setting the bar too high. So I am eager to train myself for success. I think I am happy enough with the weight I am to risk this plan. Today's plan includes a treat I never prepare for. I only go to it addictively. Let's see how it works. Meanwhile I am exercising, eating veggies and drinking water. Weight remains steady.

Did I mention DS won the concerto competition? Fun. He will be playing with the community orchestra. I am so proud of him.

Keep warm everyone.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #132  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

I've reached a low weight today--as in, I think this is my lowest weight in the last 18 years or so. I've also decided on my goal weight, which has been fluctuating in my head. I dream of 135. I really do. Or even of 140. But I'm going to "call it" at 155. I will stabilize and maintain there and then 6 months or so later, consider whether trying to lose another 10-15 lbs makes sense or not. From a health/mobility point of view, I've already gained a lot of benefits from the weight I've lost--and the most important thing is to keep it off. So, a mini goal of 160, then a final goal of 155.

I walked today--listened to country love songs as I watched the kids on the gym floor playing basketball--some of them really can shoot--they were probably middle schoolers. Best coaching I've observed--and I've watched a lot of it while walking my laps! We were supposed to go buy a car today but now it looks like it'll be tomorrow night. DH joked that he needed new windshield wipers, so he was going to get a new car. (lease is up). I tried that for my car (which also needs new wipers) but that idea fell flat :-)

maryann: Darn for lost posts! Credit indeed for sticking to your plan. How did your treat plan work out?

Penny: Definitely credit for an on plan day--and for letting your son fly a little bit--that can be so hard to do.

joy: I hope you got good exercise shoveling. Is your new dishwasher happy-making?

curlyjax: I hope the drive went well. Good idea to send all the sweets away with DD--they just can't be allowed to hang out and be tempting at home!

karenrn: It's hard for us planners to travel with those non-planners. DS and I are planning our trip to TX in two weeks--and that's late planning for us. There are 5 of us going, so there are a lot of preferences to take into account. We also finished planning our trip to NJ in March.

BillBlueEyes: Credit for brazing the cold for the moon--I saw much less of it than I had intended because the cold just made me want to hibernate!

G'night all!

--Beth

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Queen Victoria dies at age 81 after 63 years on the British throne (1901)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was a lengthy session of chipping ice from my car. Ouch. It was about 5 degrees F and the ice was bitterly gripping the glass. I still have more to go to get the car ready to out by noon. It might just warm up to 10 degrees or so by then. Ouch again.

Eating included Fennel and Fava soup that was part of my Christmas gift from my DS. It was fabulous - all the more so because DW didn't have to cook. She, too, was tired from chipping ice from the other car. This Polar Vortex thing is not for me. Must be days like this that create the stream of folks moving to Florida.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy new dishwasher day.

maryann - Congrats to your DS for winning the concerto competition - what a kid! Sounds like winning to be "exercising, eating veggies and drinking water."

Karen (karenrn) - Great news that the baby is upgraded to a room with a window - sure sounds like positive progress. Right now I gotta love the thought of "listen to some music outside."

curlyjax - Yep, black ice is so deadly. Hope your drive went well.

Beth (bethturnaround) - LOL at getting a new car when the windshield wipers need replacing. Welcome to your lowest weight in 18 years; you earned that.

Penny. - Gotta let them go and gotta cringe at the thought of all the bad options that will appear, unexpectedly, in their faces.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Jan had certainly not planned to eat a piece of pizza an hour before dinner. But the pizza box was staring her in the face when she opened the refrigerator door to get something to drink. After she ate it (standing up in front of the refrigerator), she realized that she either should have thrown away the leftover pizza or made sure it was wrapped up and placed in the back of the refrigerator. She realized, too, that she had been pretty stressed out when she got home from work and probably should have sat in her car and done some relaxing breathing for at least a couple of minutes before she went into the house.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #134  

Trip back to college was long, DD was late getting ready, and then I got stuck just sitting in traffic for at least 20 minutes on the highway. It was so bitterly cold unloading stuff at school, and I was worried about the car just stalling or something on the way home. Its the type of weather where you can get frostbite. Fortunately even though the heater was making strange noises all was well. She is coming back in 9 days to work(!), she has to work once a month to keep the job. I am definitely loaning the 2nd car to her next year!
DS wants to eat healthier which is great, so I need to get some more ideas going for dinners- I do fall back on pasta and frozen pizza for him at times. This week I need to focus on picking up the house and paperwork before my B-in law comes on friday, its all a total mess.
Penny- the driving stuff is hard, I find that is one of the scariest things too.he sounds cautious though which is good.
Maryann- congrats on your son's triumph, that is wonderful!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #135  

OP yesterday. Planned treat worked. I bought a single serving, sat overlooking a park and enjoyed it. New dinner was a hit - chili. Day is planned up so is a visit to the gym. Weight holding steady. Glad I was back East when it was the banana belt!

Last edited by maryann; 01-22-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Closed Thread