Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 6 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #76  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

NSV I could reclaim the T-shirts I let the teens use when they were too small for me but it turns out they like having the shirts and don't want to give them back. Nvm it's t-shirts displaying the music from MY youth. lol

Beth, credit for pushing through.

Curly, sorry about the poor sleep.

Bill, lol about the human migration to Florida. Enjoy your saved chicken lunch.

Joy, I'm glad you don't have to drive anywhere in that snow.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/169/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Listen to Phit and Phat podcast this morning. A tenet of her program is to write about any divergence from the plan. Very similar to Beck. So I will process a little yesterday. As happens so often, my day didn't go according to plan. That made everything a rush and I couldn't get access to the food for which I plan. Instead of saying "hunger is not an emergency" I started making substitutions. The subs at first were reasonable but then I got into the self defeating thoughts of "But I wanted a 100% day!" Then I just started eating bargain basement candy I don't even like. I substituted the candy calories for a real dinner and that is never good. I see how this behavior stops me from gaining too much but its laggardness is probably the real reason for not losing the last ten pounds. So, back to my New Year's resolutions: make a plan and stick to it despite hunger. I can put anything I want to on the plan but I must stick to it.

Penny: DH bought a bucket of unsalted cashews. This is why I never take him with me shopping. I have been using them as the fat in my smoothies I make with my Vitamix very tasty.

Today I will take a walk in the beautiful 57 degree sunshine. Food is planned. I will menu plan for a busy week and do some laundry. I will go over the books for December because I am trying to save up for retirement in a year and a half. I feel lucky to be at home and have time to do these things which I actually enjoy. I like to travel but I am mostly a homebody.

BBE: Good Luck to your Patriots.

Last edited by maryann; 01-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #78  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good evening,

Food was on plan today and yesterday too for that matter, although yesterday I think my dinner portions were larger than they should have been. I need to be very careful about portion sizes. I can't imagine how small my portions will be if I live a long time. Exercise was a walk with my friend to the Saturday Market in old town Scottsdale. They had quite a lot of produce, but a ton of baked goods. I am not eating baked goods, but I did buy a few oranges and some dog treats for Otis. We're expecting rain a few days next week, so I'll try to work hikes in when the weather is best.

Maryann I actually joined the Phit 'n Phat group and I'm doing my plan daily. I'm so used to tracking, but I'm not used to not counting calories. I write a plan and I also still track in MFP because it's what I'm used to doing. I finished the Malibu book and really enjoyed it especially after hearing your connection.
Penny I guess you're going to be needing some new shirts. Good for you. My husband has epilepsy too. I guess after two seizures they call it that. He had the first one about 8 years ago in the middle of the night. He tore his rotator cuff badly, which then required surgery. He started medication after the second one, which was 3 months after the first. He has had two more and a second med was added and then increased. He's been fine for probably 6 years or more. In Arizona it is no driving for 3 months of no seizures. They never did find the cause, but I guess that's a good thing because with an adult the first thing they rule out is a brain tumor.
Bill I have that terrible habit of looking at others baskets at the grocery store too. I only hope they aren't looking at mine the times I am buying all the alcohol, especially when company is coming.
GardenerJoy My goodness your weather was on the national news this evening. I hope you are staying in. I can't imagine driving in those conditions.
Curlyjax If you learn any good tips at the organizing program be sure to share them. I always have an interest in organizing.
Beth Did they x-ray your toe? It does seem weird that it is still so sore. I've really bruised mine pretty badly a few times, but nothing like what you are experiencing.

I hope you all are having a good weekend.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:03 AM   #79  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday- Sarah Caldwell is 1st woman to conduct at NYC Metropolitan Opera House (1976)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The chili finally made it to dinner. DW added extra zing to wake us up from the cold outside. It worked; it was spicy with bite. The leftover chicken did happen for lunch. By choosing to eat it cold, it required mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is not one of life's low calorie condiments. The rest of the day was just normal.

Exercise was limited to going up and down stairs getting stuff done inside. The brief time that I was outside it seems like a good idea to come back inside.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on your stair climbing progress. Should the New England Patriots win today's football game, we'll be headed your way to play the Kansas City Chiefs. Hope your snow and cold weather are gone by next week.

maryann - Kudos for, "make a plan and stick to it." To be complete with my summary from yesterday, there is also opportunity to watch the New England Revolution soccer matches. They share Gillette stadium in Foxboro with the Patriots. I've never met anyone who has been to one of their games. Soccer doesn't get much traction around here. Thanks for the good wishes for today's Patriot's game.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, potions just keep getting smaller as we age. I walked past the dining room of the local assisted-living facility and was appalled at the small size of the steaks - like an appetizer.

curlyjax - Congrats for raising a DD who wants to do her doctor's appointment by herself. Kudos for using your bike.

Penny. - LOL that you kids won't part with your old t-shirts. Reminds me that my DD discovered a Woodstock poster in our attic. "Is this real?" she asked, then proudly hung it in her new home. It wasn't purchased on Max Yasgur's farm, but is was real.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now
If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Continue to eat normally. Some people think, Now that I ate something I wasn't supposed to, I have to make up for it and not eat for the rest of the day. If you allow yourself to think this way, you might end up feeling unhappy and resentful or anxious that you'll be too hungry later on. You might then decide to eat everything you want. You need to put this mistake in perspective. It's just not that big a deal. Go ahead and continue with your eating plan for the rest of the day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 167.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

The organizing workshop was a bit scattered but had a few tips, which I will indeed share another day, i'm in a bit of a rush today. Going to church, then a concert with the choir i've been singing with since this fall. I think i'm mostly ready Then I need to rush off to get groceries and prep for visiting my folks tomorrow. My dad called yesterday and needs some moral support. My mom is now officially on hospice which I knew would happen, but he needs a little help to think things through. I was planning to go in about 10 days but he is thrilled to have me come now. He is 87 and doing an amazing job as a caregiver.
So yesterday was a little emotional,and I got into a big fight with DD because she doesn't want a real adult to stay with her and DS while I'm gone. I finally gave in, they are both teenagers and it should be fine. I worry about something going wrong with the house or car, or them fighting, i've never left them alone like this. But they really are old enough, and I have some friends lined up to help out if necessary. They don't cook so I guess they will be eating cold food and pizza. The furnace has been making different noises but hopefully won't conk out. I don't like being rushed like this, I like more time to prepare but oh well.
Off to church now so i can have some replenishment. I'll probably cry there, but that's okay, its comforting to be there.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #81  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down a smidge.

I have just five eggs left for my daily breakfast of egg on toast and then I am considering going without. We'll see.

Eta: I increased my ticker weightloss goal another 10 pounds. Wah! The BMI calculator gave me different results for healthy weight range than I remember getting before. Bummer.

Karen, wow our husbands have similar epilepsy stories. Mine also had his first in the middle of the night and banged up his shoulder and a toe. His next one was a year later and he started meds. We thought he was only going to have them at night but then had one in the evening while driving (alone) and rolled the car. No more driving for him. Testing shows where the seizures originate in the brain but no obvious reason.

Bill, the Woodstock poster is a fun find! I used to raid my parents hippie clothes (and sneak their hippie weed out of the drawer).

Curly, I need to get my kids to cook more too! Your kids will be fine. I hope everything goes smoothly with your mom.

Maryann, those days without a workable plan are tough! I hope today goes better for you.

Last edited by Penny.; 01-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #82  

My plan worked yesterday. There was plenty of time to get everything accomplished. Today I finished off grocery shopping for the week and cleaned out containers of staples such as flour. I bought new of everything and once the old containers are dry from the cleaning, I will refill. It is a job I have been dreading so credit. DH has promised to bike ride with me. DS and I are finishing some paperwork for a contest he is entering. He has memorized the violin solo I Barber’s concerto 14. I’m very proud of him.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 01-13-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #83  

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. Food was on plan yesterday and today. I hiked Bell Pass, 7 1/2 miles and a good climb this morning. Dh and I went to see The Upside this afternoon. I think I saw this same movie (or very close) a couple of years ago. We both liked it fine, but keep in mind we are both easily entertained. I'm trying to keep him on a roll for a movie per month, so I need to make the ones he goes to something he'll like. We have several more we'd like to see. I hope you are all having a great weekend. More tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Hello, Becksters! It's been a while (since 2012?!!!), but who's counting? I'm easing myself back into things, so this will be a quick update and check-in.

I now live in the middle of Ohio, closer to the bio fam, but I'm still missing my framily in SoCal. We're in the 3rd year, here, and still adjusting. Thus, I think the struggle with weight gain.

I finally have the tenure-track job, which comes with its own extra special set of stresses, especially at this particular college. I have a new Dear Partner, who is actually a Dear Husband. We did the legal thing last summer and will do a CA ceremony/reception this summer.

As Beck is the only weight-loss plan that has helped me to be healthier in a balanced way -- and I've tried a few more since my last post here -- I'm back. And so very happy to see so many familiar faces.

Credit-mois for today: dusted off and cracked open my 2 Beck books; figured out how to log back in here; made a food plan for tomorrow; 3 fast miles.

Goals for the week: Practice stage 1 success skills for the entire week and start weighing myself every morning. Begin at least 5 mornings with yoga/meditation. Aerobic/cardio 3 times.

Thanks for being here, y'all!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #85  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

This has been a tough but successful weekend.

We went to a party Saturday night that had 4 different tables of food--there wasn't anywhere to stand that wasn't near food. Since I'm doing all meal replacements this week, that meant I'd planned to have nothing to eat there. I was tempted multiple times but told myself I don't give in to temptation and that I'm still doing the full fast (Optifast-speak for 5 products a day), and I wasn't eating anything. And I didn't. I even helped clean up (although not the desserts) and didn't have anything but water while I was there. I am very proud of myself--it was really challenging and there were lots of things I wanted to eat--but I held firm. And if I did it once, that means I can do it again.

Today, I was just hungry all day--an hour after eating, I was hungry again. But hunger is not an emergency and I don't need more food than I'd planned for. I tried to imagine my hungry self consuming my body since I wasn't giving it anything additional. I don't know that it helped (I'm hungry now)--but I didn't eat anything extra. I did drink a ton of water trying to fill myself up--I'm going to work even harder on that tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

--Beth
Old 01-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Massachusetts holds day of fasting for wrongly persecuting "witches" (1699)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Planned a late afternoon walk to an event despite the cold. Had everything I needed to take with me at the front door. Looking forward to the brisk air. Got busy getting something done. Looked up at the clock and it was two minutes past start time. Yikes! I had to jump in the car to avoid being interruptively late. It was a good reason to learn to use the timer function on my smartphone - shouldn't be that complicated. I can't believe that I did that. My fear is that one day I'll miss an event entirely.

Eating was OKish. I snacked on roasted almonds during the two hours sitting around a table with multiple snacks. I did avoid the special cheese and crackers; they were the kind that I might declare to be rare and unusual and have seconds. So, I simply didn't have firsts and avoided that problem. Dinner was a frozen meat lasagna from a local store; it was superb. It describes itself as three servings. DW cuts it into fourths so it covers two meals; half would be too big for on meal. It's kinda nice that we can find a way to make too-big serving sizes into slightly smaller sizes. Worked for me.

Mary (MaryContrary) – Congrats on that new tenure-track job. If I recall, when you were here six years ago you were scooping up classes as best you could. And Congrats for taking the step to converting your Dear Partner into your Dear Husband. Neat that you're going to practice the Beck skills - they do work.

maryann - Always Kudos for doing a dreaded job. In honor of your DS, I'm listening to Barber’s concerto 14 as I type.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat to have a goal of a monthly movie - the only way to prevent falling so far behind that there's no recovery.

curlyjax - Congrats for taking the big step forward of leaving your teen kids alone. A spell of eating without mom's cooking might even make them a little bit grateful when you get back.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super Kudos for being around that much food and sticking to your plan to ignore it all.

Penny. - It's amazing with a house full of people that you can see five eggs in the fridge and know that they're for you.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now
If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Learn from your mistake. Review your mistake with your diet coach. Use this experience as an opportunity for learning, so you can try to limit similar occurrences in the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 168.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #87  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in to say that I survived snow doom. We didn't get any more accumulation after the first eight inches -- but it took an hour and a half to get my car freed from that while DH took care of the driveway and our shared road. The roads are well-cleared now. Which brings me to the reason that I'm doing a quick check-in -- I'm taking a class this morning that goes from 8:30-12:30, with an expectation that one checks in a little early so the instruction can start right at 8:30. I have no idea what, if any, food will be available, so I'm eating breakfast now and will eat lunch when I get home. I'm checking in here so that I can tell myself that hunger is not an emergency. I have a good plan for a lunch that I like.

BillBlueEyes: Congrats on your Patriots win. Don't rely on me for KC weather -- they get harsh winds and weather off the plains that don't make it this far.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 01-14-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #88  

School starts back today and then we are going to Sacramento Kings game tonight. There are plenty of plenty to veer off plan but I am ready with “Sit while I eat” and “Eat till satisfied.”

Welcome back Mary Contrary.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #89  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I mentioned to the family my plan to see if I can go without eggs and all of a sudden the kids are interested in eggs, ate what I had left, and want me to keep buying them. Ha! It's okay. I have been buying them locally from a guy's small farm for many years and it would have been sad to stop. I had oatmeal for breakfast and will pick up a smaller amount of eggs for the fam.

Beth, major kudos for getting through the event without eating. I have found going to restaurants with the family and just having a decaf and water is getting easier and no one cares.

Karen, I followed your example and DH and I went and saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Excellent movie and nice to go out.

Maryann, have a great day back to school and enjoy the game!

Marycontrary, kudos for getting back into it and congratulations for the recent marriage and changes in your life.

Bill, credit for choosing a smaller than recommended portion for the lasagna. That would be a tough food to do that with for me.

Joy, I'm glad you survived the snow doom lol! Credit for making a plan for the class and food today.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #90  

Good afternoon coaches,

We got back from our hike earlier than anticipated cause we didn't go the whole way. Tammy took a tumble that was pretty scary and we decided that was enough. She lost her phone a little earlier in the hike and luckily we did find that on the way back down. The hike is called Picket Post and I guess the army or something used to be able to signal clear across the valley from that point. I have done the hike once before but honestly I don't recall it being that much of a rock climbing scramble. Luckily the only other person on the hike today was the leader, all the others bailed. He has done the hike 15 or so times in the past so was fine with turning around. We still got about 4 miles and a good climb in. Food was on plan yesterday really well, but today I added an extra protein bar which I really didn't need, but I wanted the taste of the sweet. I was in a mood that I could have looked for something more, but got a hold of myself and said that's it.

Penny I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. It's one I could probably watch again at home.
Maryann I hope the start back to school goes smoothly.
GardenerJoy I would say you got plenty of snow.
Bill I use the alarm on my smart phone all the time. Almost every appointment I have I set reminders for the day ahead (to get me thinking about it) and for a couple hours ahead.
Beth I am proud of you too. Having all that party food around would be tough. I truly believe our resistance muscle gets stronger when we hold firm to what we say we are going to do.
Welcome back, Mary! Either those brain cells of mine are gone, or I wasn't here just yet when you were.

Closed Thread