Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The only food I saw last night was potato chips and dip. CREDIT that I've done the work to the point that wasn't even a temptation -- no matter how hungry I am. I ate a very late supper when I got home.

We've got a 5-7" snow prediction, starting late tomorrow and going through Saturday. So, I'm going to want to get healthy food into the house today.

Summary
Implemented food plan: 90%
Exercise: +15, 285/1100 minutes for January
Weigh-in: NAkg
Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #62  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight came down another smidge.

My son who turned 15 seemed to be feeling anxious about taking his driver permit test, so I made the mean mom decision to just make him go take it. He seemed to be making it a bigger and bigger deal in his head. He passed the test but lead me to believe he had failed the way he moped away from the testing computer. He is such a perfectionist and was bummed by missing a few. It's hard to know when my kids need pushed or when left alone, but I think he is happy now.

Beth, good job on another on plan day. I read that tidying book and did watch a couple episodes. My son said the show is way too positive and wholesome. Lol yep,no dead cats found under the sofa.

Karen, credit for the big hike.

Bill, credit for the on plan day! That's too bad your event was cancelled but new books discovered sounds like a good back up.

Joy, that feels so good when it's no longer work to avoid the unhealthy foods. Credit!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #63  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm having an easy day today. I've just gotten home from going through the Costco car wash and then shopping at Costco and the other grocery store. It's those couple of months a year where I can actually leave food in the car for 30 minutes in between. That makes it so much easier since I have Otis home in his crate. He is just napping, but I don't think he would be too keen on me being home and not letting him out. The big plans for the day are that Otis has a grooming appointment and I have a dentist appointment both at 1:00. Luckily they are very near each other so Otis won't have to go too early. I'm sure I've got something going on with a tooth. The gum is a little tender but not bad, so I've just waited for my regular appointment. Weight was down .2 this morning, so slowing heading in the right direction.
Penny Who will be the driving instructor? My Mom, who was a terrible driver, was our instructor and then we also had it through the school. My Dad wouldn't ride with us until he had to.
GardenerJoy Good job leaving the potato chips alone. I prefer sweets to salty treats, but there are times I start and it's hard to stop.
Bill Of course the hike had as much down as up, but it is so much easier for me. There is never any thought to wanting to stop and catch my breath on the downhill. Browsing a bookstore is always a pleasant time.
Beth You've got some good ideas for transition planning. We keep it very simple at my house. We each have certain things that we usually eat for breakfast and lunch and then there are a dozen things or so that are our usual dinner. It makes the shopping very easy. I like to cook, but with too much variety there are too many different groceries needed and often only a little is needed and the rest wasted. We eat at home 95% of the time.
Onebyone Good for you getting some on plan days strung together.
Waving to Curlyjax and Maryann!

Last edited by karenrn; 01-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I was going to post this morning but got distracted so am zipping in for a wave now. Did not fare well with the leftover cupcakes at work but they are finally gone. Again I am realizing I eat more, and more junk, when I am bored-depressed- emotional eating. Went to bed mildly hungry 2 nights in a row because I was busy and scale did dip down a tidge, so there you go. Tonight’s exciting plan includes leftover stirfry, and then probably a microwave burrito at some point because that is definitely not enough food. But all better than getting a calzone, which is what DS is having for dinner. And lots of picking up, too many papers all over the place again!

Penny- she isn’t going back with car this time, but I think the plan is for next fall. Too funny about your perfectionistic son!
Karen- that Gu sounds deadly!! Interesting sounding book to read.
More tomorrow!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #65  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

I had to remind myself several times today that hunger is not an emergency, and it wasn't--I got through it and waited until it was time for my next product (which it is now and I'm going to go down and have it). I need to spend a few more days being kind to my toe. Stupid toe.

Just a wave today!

--Beth
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Titania & Oberon, moons of Uranus, discovered by William Herschel (1787)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included, once again, perusing the children's books at a library. I had to return a book without words, Once upon a snowstorm by Richard Johnson. I loved it from the first minute I saw it. A little boy wanders out in a snowstorm, makes friends with the forest animals, begins to miss his dad, and gets a ride home on the back of a large brown bear. Unfortunately, the (3 yo) DGD adamantly refused to have it read to her - until the day before it was required to be returned. Then she loved it; 'read' it twice. Maybe I'll get back in the queue to get it again. I'd buy it if I thought for a moment that she'd read it. She's just not predictable. Like a human, LOL.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner was scallops grilled on the patio. They were covered with a blend of butter and bacon fat! (left over from a Christmas breakfast for my DS). Boy were they good; bacon fat is the answer to everything. I probably still reek of the garlic. Life is good - even it not exactly healthy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for skipping the only food in sight. Hope your snow isn't too deep.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at having only a brief window when food can be left in the car; we have months.

curlyjax - Yep, junk food eating does seem to follow one of the emotions. Neat that the cupcakes are now gone.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Hunger is not an emergency. Hunger is not an emergency. Hunger is not an emergency. Hunger is not an emergency.

Penny. - Congrats for walking your 15 yo DS through the turmoil of taking a driver's test. Teen years are just so tough.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now
If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Give yourself credit for stopping - at any point. If you want to keep eating but you don't, you deserve credit! It's important not to let yourself become demoralized. You need to give yourself some slack for being human and making a mistake.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 167.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #67  

I'm super hungry this morning so i must not have over done it yesterday. Plus I didn't sleep well so that can make me hungry too. Credit for doing stationary bike last night for hip. Today i'm leaving work early to bring DD to follow up appt in Boston (wave to Bill!) so I can't overdo it at work. No doubt we will grab some food at the hospital but actually there are quite a few healthy choices these days.
Weather remains eerily nice here, I sure hope we don't get slammed with snow in Feb or March.
TGIF!!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

I never made a plan, yesterday, so I couldn't follow it. Credit for talking myself into a salad for a snack when I wanted something else. I reminded myself that I hadn't yet had a salad and that was enough. I now think of myself as someone who eats at least one salad a day.

Impending snow doom gives today an odd energy. We're in good shape -- the plow is on the tractor; there's plenty of gas for the tractor; there's plenty of gas in the car; there's plenty of food in the house and I have a plan for meals. I even have a back-up plan in mind if the power goes out, since there's a chance there will be sleet. Fortunately, our stove is gas and it's unlikely that will go out.

Summary
Implemented food plan: NA
Exercise: +10, 295/1100 minutes for January
Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Karen: I grew up in Malibu. The King and Queen of Malibu is a fabulous book. My great uncle was President of Pepperdine. The school leased the old Rindge beach house and we got to live there for a week in the summers. It is a beautiful little house to visit.

Penny and Beth: I like the Magic of Tidying and didn’t mind the weirdo ideas. I thank the scale for a good number

Back from my terrific trip. The college my son liked the most was Boston Univeristy. He found the engineering department to be the most dynamic. Weather was obliging.

Credit for sitting and eating the many treats rare and unusual. Although I made no plan, I brought walnuts with me which helped satisfy hunger. I did not gain any weight. Back to a plan this morning. The goal is to get back under 160.

Last edited by maryann; 01-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #70  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

The plan I wrote was kind of vague yesterday and my portions were a little larger than they should have been. On top of that I did have a few unplanned pecans. Better than sweets, but not on the plan. Plan is written today and I'll be hiking this morning with some friends. I had some anxiety yesterday afternoon because I hate taking Otis to the groomer. He has a nervous poop as soon as we get out of the car and then wants to run the other direction, then right after that I was worried they would be telling me I need a root canal at the dentist. Instead, Otis did have his nervous poop and then walked in to the groomer's for the first time ever. Next I was off to the dentist, where there was something under the gum which needed some extra cleaning and a topical antibiotic, but no root canal. I should no by my age not to worry because most of what I worry about never happens, but some days it just doesn't work. Anyway, those two things about made my day.

Maryann How interesting and yes I am enjoying the book. Mr. Rindge just died (in the book) and May is building the railroad. I'm so glad you had a good trip. My husband's bosses daughter is at Boston University for her first year of college this year.
GardenerJoy It sounds like you are prepared for the snow. I hope you only get enough to be pretty but not a problem.
Curlyjax Yes, credit for getting on the bike and I hope dd's appointment goes well.
Bill The scallops sound wonderful, but you can keep the bacon fat. I'll have mine with just butter. I'll have to look at the book, I love the title.
Beth It's amazing how much a toe can muck things up. I hope it's better soon.

Well, I'd better be sure I'm ready to go. My friend will be here in ten minutes.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #71  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. Food is all prepped in the fridge for me and the kids.

That Eat to Live book really got to me and I've been transitioning away from animal products more. I've been looking at a couple vegan cookbooks and trying out a few things. They sure use a lot of cashews! I like the salad dressings and the kids like the vegan mac and "cheese" and soy milk okay.

Beth, credit credit credit! I wish I could zap your hunger away.

Bill, that snow book sounds like a good one! my daughter was reading one of my fav snow books yesterday, The Big Snow, and asked, "What's the big deal about South anyway?" after reading about the different birds that fly South for the winter. Lol! Learning oppertunities pop up so often with even the simplest children's picture books.

Karen, I'm glad everything went well with the groomers and dental appointments. I get so stressed about taking my dogs in for nail trims because I know they hate it. I'm sure our own stress just makes it worse for our fur friends.

Oh, and I'll be the driving instructor again for son #2. My husband has epilepsy and can't drive. Hopefully I've worked out all my mistakes on son #1. lol

Joy, I bet it was a mad house in the store yesterday. Kudos for getting everything prepped!

Curly, I hope everything goes smoothly with your daughter's appointment today.

Maryann, that's great your son found a college he feels good about.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 AM   #72  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Just a wave from me tonight. Food is Not An Emergency--had to tell myself that multiple times again today. But I got through it and stuck with the plan. Toe is still too sore to do any walking--if this is just a bruise, I wonder how bad it would be if I'd broken it?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

--Beth
Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #73  

Hi everyone! Credit yesterday for using bike at end of the day. I do need to up my cardio, I can feel how out of shape I am on stairs etc. Ended up with pizza yesterday for dinner since it was late after appt and i was tired from driving a lot. I think DD's appt went well, not sure since she wanted to go by herself. I am not sleeping well these days in part because she is up at night making noise. I have no idea what I'm doing for dinner tonight since I don't know if DS is around or not. If not, I am happy with some leftovers and cereal.
Penny- awesome that your kids will eat vegan stuff like that!
Beth- I definitely have to work on hunger is not an emergency too. you are doing great getting back on track!
Karen- glad everything worked out for both you and Otis, and he's getting more used to the groomer.
Maryann- glad you guys had a fun trip. If your son goes to Boston, he will get to experience real winter and beautiful New England fall.
Joy- I know what you mean about impending snow doom energy, I always feel that way too, plus anxiety which makes me more productive.
Bill- scallops are healthy anyhow and lowcalorie, so a little bacon fat is okay!

I'm going to a free workshop on organizing today, I hope I pick up some good tips!

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-12-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #74  
Green Tomatoes

I swapped a salad snack for something more tempting, due to various pressures including impending snow doom. Today, I'm just going to plan the more tempting snack and assume that the exercise shoveling snow will justify the few extra calories.

I did my stair-climbing challenge yesterday -- how many flights can I climb in five minutes? The first two times the answer was 14. Yesterday the answer was 16! I'm pleased with that progress.

We got eight inches of snow (that's a lot for Missouri!) and expect another two to five inches today. I'm grateful that I don't commute. We had ten hours of grid-lock on the highway that I most often use for travel from my house.

Summary
Implemented food plan: 80%
Exercise: +45, 340/1100 minutes for January
Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - HMS Beagle with Charles Darwin reaches Sydney, Australia (1836)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with more snacks than I wished that I'd taken. It's hard to try to justify them for hunger. I had been looking forward to chili for dinner until DW forgot to soak the beans. So we had grilled chicken. Good news is that I saved half my piece for my lunch today instead of eating the whole thing just because it'd been served to me.

The cold served as an excuse to fail to get outside other than my trip to the supermarket. I spent my time peeking at what other folks had in their baskets, making judgements and telling myself that that wasn't polite even if the folks didn't know that was happening. The place I shop has the lowest price around on Ramen Noodle packages when bought by the case. Lots of cases are in the shopping carts. Oh well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad that your snow was bounded - even if deep for your area.

maryann - Congrats for completing yet-another tour of colleges. California parents need to be warned that Boson University sits very close to Fenway Park where the Red Sox play baseball; is on a simple subway line to Boston Garden where the Celtics and Bruins play basketball and hockey (on different nights); but the Patriots are kept out at Gillette Stadium which is geometrically about halfway to California and not reasonably accessible to undergraduates particularly since, like tomorrow, they are apt to play in 20 degree F weather seeking an advantage against sane teams from Los Angeles who might not be acclimated. I'm impressed that BU is on the list of a young man who has looked far and wide. Boston will be improved by his presence around here. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, projecting disaster seems to be a common issue.

curlyjax - Yep there are healthy food choices in Boston - most hospitales don't serve them because there's more demand for fast food.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Ouch for the continuing need to favor that toe. Hard to fathom a broken one.

Penny. - Yay for getting the chance to tell your DD that birds migrate for food - not for weather. Few folks know that since human Snowbirds migrate to Florida for weather.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now
If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Watch out for feelings of failure and helplessness. When you slip, you might start to feel like a failure and believe that you just can't diet successfully. It's essential to remind yourself that mistakes are inevitable; it's normal to stray from your diet from time to time. No one's perfect.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 167.
Closed Thread