Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 3 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Davy Crockett arrives in Nacogdoches, Texas, to aid the revolution (1836)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made the supermarket trip without bringing home stuff that I didn't want to eat - continuing the obvious notion that if it isn't here, I can't eat it. CREDIT moi only because the store, as usual, had sales on every conceivable pastry, candy, and junk food.

Dinner was chicken grilled on the patio. DW is taking this good weather stretch seriously. It's good weather by the metric that there's no snow. Maybe we're done with winters around here. All that snow in the U.S. deep South is drawing it away from us. Our condolences to our Southern neighbors, but I'm not missing it yet.

onebyone - Glad to have walked through the supermarket with you, LOL. The temptation while putting away leftovers is always a challenge.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat idea to use Goodreads to record your books for the year. I was using my library list for that but it has become overwhelmed with books for the DGD.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL that your hill is the equivalent of 110 floors. I do admire making a choice to adjust a hiking goal rather than blindly walk all the way down the hill just because that was the original plan.

curlyjax - Yep, "Pain Free" sounds like a good motivator.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super Kudos for refusing the bite of cake with fork in hand. It probably wasn't good cake, anyway.

Penny. - Always Kudos for on plan. The GI tract isn't fond of change - even good change.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

But there's no reason to wait. Have you really blown it completely? Of course not!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 166.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

We had an unexpected opportunity to stay with the DGNs for the evening so their parents could have a night out. The baby girl was put to bed before we had a chance to excite her too much, but we enjoyed playing with the toddler boy for a couple of hours before putting him to bed--I picked one of the three books to read at bed-time: Mixed. :-)

The unexpected nature of all this, of course, played havoc with my food plan. But I made pretty good choices under the circumstances.

I think this morning's bump up on the scale is telling me that the take-out food we grabbed for supper was too salty. I agree. Lots of water today!

Summary
Implemented food plan: 60%
Exercise: +20, 115/1100 minutes for January
Weigh-in: +0.2kg
Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #33  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Onebyone, credit for the mindful grocery shopping!

Beth, credit for declining the cake offer!

Bill, I'm glad you and DW are enjoying a snow free winter so far.

Joy, I bet the babysitting was much appreciated.

Karen, hopefully your energy was just temporarily exhausted and will bounce back.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #34  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food is on plan and I just got back from hiking to Bell Pass and back. It was 2 1/2 hours of hiking so that's great. I has been my go to hike in the past. We're going out for burgers tonight so I'm glad to have had some good exercise. I'll have cole slaw with the burger and no beer.

Penny My energy was just low because the timing and amount of food I had eaten was not enough for how strenuous my hike was. Today I hiked right after breakfast and that was perfect. Glad you're doing so well staying on plan.
GardenerJoy What a fun time with the toddler. I'm already looking forward to seeing our little grand nephews at Christmas next year. There will be 2 one year olds and 1 who will be 2 1/2.
Bill It is so true that it's easier without the wrong foods in the house.
Beth This 24 hour plan that I'm doing is working well. You might want to try it when you transition back to food again. I just make the plan in the morning and stick to it. The good thing is I can plan whatever I want, but I must stick to it. Today I'm planning the burger cause we're going out, but there are no fries or beer on the plan. I also set three goals for the day that could be anything. The next day I assess how I did. Good job on passing on the cake.
Onebyone You're right, sometimes just knowing I have the group to report to stops me from going off plan. Eating sitting down is a habit I almost always abide by these days. I can't say I don't look at my phone or a magazine though.

You all have a great day.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:12 AM   #35  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Quick post tonight. We successfully emptied the storage unit—everything is now at the house and the Model T is in the garage. I cleaned the bookcases and emptied book boxes on to them—that was my major exercise for today. Food was OP —5 products. It was a bit of a challenge since I prepared lunch for DH while he was doing something I couldn’t do—and the sloppy joes smelled wonderful. And DD's homemade pizza tonight smelled wonderful too. But good smells doesn’t have to translate to eating—and it didn’t. More unpacking tomorrow!

G’night all!

—Beth
Old 01-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #36  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Alfred Wegener presents theory of continental drift (1912, Frankfurt)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got an extra visit with the (3 yo) DGD when DD brought her by to have lunch at a local place that caters to families. It serves seriously good adult food including wines as well as kids' plates. And it has a marvelous little play area with lots of stuff for kids to bring back to their tables. We shared dinner with four toy dinosaurs, a tiger, and an odd mule. I gave the tiger and mule to a non-verbal passing toddler who didn't seem old enough to go over to the play area. He played with them for a while then brought them back with a smile. Babies were being nursed as if that was natural, LOL.

My lunch was a Grilled Chorizo sausage with pico de gallo on a fresh baguette. I substituted a green salad for the French fries. Then brought half of it home to become my lunch today, CREDIT moi. For fun I asked the DGD for one of her French fries. Her look was that of a wounded kid; they were her fries. She finally gave me one with a grin. No way was I going to go over calories from her plate, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for extra time with a three-year-old. Love that you read Mixed.

Karen (karenrn) - Cole slaw is a great addition to a burger rather than French fries.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super Congrats for getting that storage unit emptied. Thanks for "good smells doesn’t have to translate to eating."

Penny. - On plan is always good.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

What did you eat? An extra hamburger? A doughnut? A slice of pie? Let's say you ate some food that contained 500 extra calories. To gain 1 pound, you have to eat in the neighborhood of 3,500 extra calories - seven times what you ate. An extra 500 calories is not going to noticeably affect your weight. So stop now or to keep eating? There's no reason to keep eating and take in an extra 100, 200, 300, or even 3,000 calories.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday, I followed my plan -- yay! Although, it was the Plan C plan for supper. That still counts.

Today, I think the scale is telling me that my current eating is a maintenance plan, not a weight loss plan. This is not a surprise. I will try lightening things up a bit today and work on timing so that I don't get too hungry. Also, remind myself that hunger is not an emergency.

Summary
Implemented food plan: 100%
Exercise: +40, 155/1100 minutes for January
Weigh-in: +0.05kg
Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #38  

Good morning coaches,

I'm quite proud of myself that I stayed on plan yesterday even dinner at the tavern. The coleslaw was extra good, because they put a little jalapeńo pepper in it and very lightly dressed. I usually do order cole slaw, but I always take some of dh's fries and I didn't. It was kind of amazing how many he had left (most of them) without me getting into them. I've got a plan for today, but it will be a little larger dinner because I have a hike that is over 12 miles tomorrow with a climb in the middle with a group I haven't hiked with before. It's called Battleship and is in the Superstitions. After hiking five miles or so to get to the "Battleship", there is a bit of a technical route to get to the top and then walk the ridge to the other end where there is a log book to note that you've been there. I bet it's been six years since I hiked it and I'm hoping I am still as strong. I'll let you know. Today I'm taking it easy and getting the office in order and updating my photos of the baby that I've received in the past week to add to the video I'll make.

GardenerJoy I hate when the scale tells me my plan is a maintenance plan and that is pretty frequently these days. I know I don't remember so accurately all the time, but it does seem I used to eat quite a bit more. I keep thinking my activity will make up for my getting older, but I'm not so sure it does.
Bill The restaurant you went to yesterday sounds great. Good food and things for little ones to play with is a real bonus.
Beth That's so great that the storage unit is empty. It must be wonderful to be getting really settled. Does the Model T run? Are you in a club where you all drive places. I just love to see the old cars on the road. Speaking of old cars, if any of you ever get to Tacoma, Washington they have the LeMay Car Museum which is excellent.

Well, I guess I had better get going with my chores. Dh was not happy with how cluttered the office was getting (all my mess), so I'll get that finished first. Have a great Sunday and I'll post after the hike tomorrow and let you know how it went. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #39  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I looked up the intestinal toot toot issue with increased veg and apparently it is normal and due to the major increase in fiber. The healthy fiber eating gut bacteria will increase and calm things down. I'm sure DH and the blanket-burrowing dog will both appreciate it when that happens too.

Beth, kudos for getting the storage cleared and sticking to your 5.

Karen, amazing how just a few factors will affect the hike energy. Credit for all your exercise.

Bill, the restaurant sounds like a good one. Credit for swapping out the fries for salad.

Joy, good luck with your lighter fare today. I think I'm on day 6 or 7 of no loss. Sloooooow!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Afternoon, Coaches.

Phone check in. The Chicago trip has been fabulous. Weather is warmer than back home. We are staying at a beautifully restored boutique hotel a few blocks from the Obama residence and the U of Chicago. The diversity, culture and hospitality have been a treat. We hired a car to see Notre Dame U on Sat. What a difference! No diversity. DS wasn’t that impressed even though we are catholic.

Snacks have been nearly non existent since we have been on the run for four days. Credit. Also credit that although I have indulged in desserts all have been unique and homemade. Finally, there is a scale our hotel room. The walking has kept me fairly flat. Good enough. The boys are at the Bulls game. How fun for me to watch the Bear game with such devout followers.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday-Galileo Galilei discovers 1st 3 moons of Jupiter: Io, Europa & Ganymede (1610)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, again as if it were Fall instead of mid-Winter. No complaints about that. As usual we discovered a house painted in two colors that just didn't go well together: pale blue and pale green. It's fair game to have opinions of house colors, however petty.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including the last two ounces of mango juice in a liter container taking up space in the fridge. It was left over from our Christmas Eve dinner. The DGD had consumed some and the rest was destined to take up space forever. I got the hero's award as well as a small jolt of sugar'ed juice. Sometimes a man just has to step up and do what no one else will do, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for having a Plan C in place - that's thinking ahead.

maryann - Ouch that the University of Notre Dame didn't impress your DS; I'd thought that their diversity was increasing. Yay for no snacks even if it takes constantly being on the go to achieve that.

Karen (karenrn) - Twelve miles is a long hike - have a good one.

Penny. - Yay for the unheralded work of gut bacteria - on one ever thinks to give them the credit they deserve.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Of course, it's better to stop eating as soon as possible. It's destructive to continue to eat in an unplanned way for the rest of the day just because you ate something that wasn't on your food plan.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

My body is telling me You are lugging around too much weight, but my brain isn't listening Back to square one. At least I have been productive and gotten rid of the Christmas decorations which makes me feel mentally better. Between too many temptations at home and emotional eating I am not doing well. I appreciated the posts from yesterday and today- don't keep eating after you've been off track. Will report in with better news tomorrow!!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #43  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday, I ended up with an extra snack because I was hungry. It was healthy and light, so I'm not too concerned about it, but I'm probably going to want to embrace the notion that hunger is not an emergency more strongly.

I think today the scale is telling me that it's time to re-establish the "salad as snack" habit. I broke it during the romaine lettuce scare before Thanksgiving and haven't returned. It works for me, so I want to get back to it.

Since the occasional lettuce scare is apparently part of modern life, I want to keep an alternative in mind. Cabbage salads have worked well for me in the past.

Summary
Implemented food plan: 100%
Exercise: +40, 195/1100 minutes for January
Weigh-in: +0.35kg
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #44  

Mornin'

Yesterday was on plan and weight is staying put. My son turns 15 today and he wants hot wings. We'll go to the wild wings restaurant and I'll just have water or decaf.

Edit to come back for personals. I am dragging today and had gone back to bed.

Karen, how did the 12 miles go? That is so awesome. I want to try my 8 miler again soon.

Curly, feeling heavy is a good motivator. Does your daughter go back to school now?

Bill, credit for eating on plan and the Sinday (typo, but it stays) walk.

Joy, I love that you have contingency plans. Credit for the healthier snack choices.

Last edited by Penny.; 01-07-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #45  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food remains on plan. Today I did have a Goo, but I didn't need the protein bar to keep me fueled for the hike. I had a PB&J sandwich midway on the hike and the Goo before that right before heading up the climb. I am trying to figure out exactly what I need to keep my energy up, but not have more than I need. I'm sure it will change with every hike and even with the day. The hike was spectacular! There were 8 of us and they were a really nice group, all of them new to me. The guy that led the hike is a 59 year old pastor of the Lutheran Church. He said short prayer before the hike and I think that might not have been a bad idea, especially for this hike. The first five miles were up and down and rocky in areas just to get to the base of the huge rock that is called The Battleship. Then it was a climb up and it's quite a convoluted trail to find the way up top. Several places had quite a bit of exposure and the one of the ridges most of us scooted across on our butts. I even had to take deep breaths and try to calm some anxiety, BUT it was so much fun. The hike was 12.4 miles with a couple thousand feet of accumulated elevation gain. I'm going again next Monday on another hike. They all live out near the Superstitions and know all the good hikes out there.

Penny Happy Birthday to your son! Are you dragging after your weekend at work? Going back to bed was probably just the right thing to do.
GardenerJoy Great job on the food plan. I think it's kind of difficult to find just the right balance. I do know that sometimes I eat out of boredom, but I know you are usually busier than I am.
Curlyjax You have had one heck of a year and I give you all the credit for what you are doing. Sometimes weight loss just has to take a back seat until we are ready. If you're ready, go for it.
Bill You would be a hero at my house too for drinking the last of the juice. I hate throwing things away, but my husband most often won't finish them off. It's finally warming up a bit here, a very pleasant 64 degrees here today.

Well, I'd better go get dinner started and I must say I'm a bit hungry.
Closed Thread