Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:43 AM   #16  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food was OP today (5 products) and I took a 30 minute walk at lunch time. That was a nice break. I won't be able to tomorrow, but I'm planning on investigating the indoor track at the middle school tomorrow night. I kept up with my journal today--consistency is going to be challenging but I think it's going to be helpful for a while. I also want to work harder at doing personals at least several days a week--I know it's helpful for me to read everyone's posts more carefully and I like it when others do personals :-)

I exchanged voice mails with my program's dietitian today and she thinks it's fine if I go back on full fast (which is what we call 5 products a day) for a while, so that is settled--I'll make a follow-up appointment with the doctor for later this month.

The house is quieter and I'm putting things back together--we're down to only two house guests :-).

karenrn: Sounds like a good approach to just eat a few bites less.

maryann: Truvia sounds like it's making a difference--it's amazing what tricks we can come up with to improve our choices.

penny: You are so right about New Year energy--the Optifast support facebook group is really hopping, as is a Mensa health support page I'm on. Support makes a huge difference--I know how much difference this forum makes for me. Now to keep that energy going!

joy: Credit for recognizing that afternoon snacks work for you and evening snacks don't. It's such a journey figuring things like that out--but you're catching and changing this one quickly.

curlyjax: Yay for kisses being gone. It's easier to make healthy choices when there are fewer unhealthy choices in the house.

BillBlueEyes: What is the trick for recognizing that a 'treat' isn't good enough to eat more of?

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 01-03-2019, 06:31 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine (1496)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She did Boston's Children's Museum with enthusiasm, climbing the structure labeled "For children 5 and over" with ease, multiple times. Each adventure was done multiple times with the same enthusiasm. There's so much energy in that little package. When she was done, we put her in her stroller where she promptly fell asleep for the whole subway ride home. That meant that we carried the kid-stroller combo up and down stairs, on escalators (against the rules) and even on elevators that I've never used before. When she goes down, she down.

My lunch was cheese and crackers; I was surprised to learn when we got to their lunchroom that there was no peanut restriction. Concern about peanuts is so non-uniformly enforced. Dinner was leftovers - DW has no energy left after a grandmom day. By the standard candle, it was a good day for staying my eating plan, CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your stair climbing exercise sounds fun. I'd definitely count going down, though.

maryann - Yay for small changes.

Karen (karenrn) - It ruins my fantasy of Arizona to know that you guys even own base layers - thought that was a problem only for the far north, LOL.

curlyjax - Yay for a session on the bike to counter "leftover kisses" - which sounds like the title of a bodice-ripper novel.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Neat that you take a 30 minute break from work for a walk. Probably improves your productivity for the whole day. I wish that I knew the secret of halting the eating of a treat that's mediocre. It's a good clue after the fact that it wasn't rational eating.

Penny. - Like the thought of "new year, new me" energy.

Readers -
Quote:
day 19 Stop Fooling Yourself
Once I stop fooling myself about my
eating, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 165.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #18  
Green Tomatoes

A couple of substitutions yesterday, based on DH's whims. The substitutions were reasonable, so I'm not too unhappy about that.

I weighed this morning -- credit! And, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Summary
Implemented food plan: 60%
Exercise: +35, 65/1100 minutes for January
Weigh-in: +0.65kg
Old 01-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning.

Packing this morning to visit Beth’s city, Chicago. (I think Beth lives In Chicago)Weather looks very nice. Hope BBE does something about the snow on Monday in Boston.

I have made 7 snack packs of our walnuts with cranberries and a little bit of chocolate. Breakfast every morning will be a protein bar I have packed. I also have seven little fizzy drinks for a afternoon pep up. My goal is to think about food less and enjoy family time more.

I packed sandwiches to eat on the plane.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 01-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #20  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food remains on plan. I did have 2 dates yesterday that I hadn't written down ahead of time, but I do have an overall plan that says I can have 2 dates when I do a good hike which I had done. My weight was down 1.2 pounds and I'll take that. I've just walked Otis and it was very funny. First there was a truck picking up a dumpster that someone had in their driveway for remodel stuff. He's scares of big trucks, so off we go in the other direction. Then we ran into an ice covered sidewalk. He looked like a not very good ice skater sliding across that area. Lastly, on the way home we ran into the truck again who was at the end of the street adjusting the load. At that point I just had to carry my little chicken by so we could get home. I do so enjoy him. I'm heading out for a longer hike now. It's up a hill, down the other side and then turn around and come back. I've got some ambitious hikes coming up, so I want to be ready for them. I will take my long underwear off before I go.
An update on the baby: We got a video of him last evening with his mask off (for just a few minutes) He was squeaking a little and really moving around. His weight is up to 2 lbs 2 ounces. I think I saw a little more meat on his thighs.

Maryann Have a great trip! Sounds like you've done some planning to help you stay on plan.
GardenerJoy It's always good when the scale is better than we thought it would be.
Bill It sounds like you got your exercise yesterday. I really can't imagine how tired I would be after a day with a little one. So fun though! By the way, the long underwear I have is for backpacking. I have never worn it here before, but I'm glad I have it.
Beth I have a new journal too and I haven't been so good about it, I think I had better get started soon. I have all the stuff in my head but I need to put it on paper.

Well, heading out for my hike. Even though the afternoon temps may be nicer I'd probably talk myself out of going. You all have a great day.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #21  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding. The fridge has been completely cleaned up and reorganized. The food storage container cupboard has been cleaned out. There are a bunch of old plastic containers going to charity and replaced with a couple more sets of the pyrex from Costco.

The last book I read, Eat to Live, really inspired me to eat more fruit. I have a history of never caring much for fruit. I don't dislike it, I just never think to eat it.

My goal is to get at least two pieces of fruit in daily.

Beth, credit for another op day!

Maryann, have a nice trip! Kudos for food planning and prepping.

Bill, credit for another excellent grandparent outing day!

Joy, credit for meeting your weighing in goal.

Karen, lol about Otis. My weiner dog just refuses to walk at all around our block, which I can't figure out. I need to get them out in the dog stroller again.

Last edited by Penny.; 01-03-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #22  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Slow and steadyish

Coaches, good evening!

I am a bit wobbly but I am mostly on track with my three resolutions for January.

This being everyday I
-read for an hour
-clean for an hour
-do something towards my online presence for an hour

Thats three hours total. What seems to be naturally happening is that I do do some of everything on the list but it might be 40 min reading, 1.5hrs online stuff, 30min cleaning. Not sure how strict I should be? Can I fail this? I dont think so. But I will give myself credit for giving these areas attention and for already seeing changes. Its only 3 days after all.

Weight has dropped a bit as well as I begin eliminating snacks and sugars and adding time between my last meal and my first one the next day.

Yay.

Billblueyes: your talk of sandwiches dovetail exactly with this article I just read. Here's the link. It's actually very Beck.
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...e-packed-lunch

Gardenerjoy: did you set a reading goal for yourself for 2019? Are you still blogging?

Maryann: hello! Good to see you. Great news about the weight ticker staying so consistent for so long now. That is a real accomplishment.

Must go.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-03-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #23  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

Today was an OP food day, and I got in more water--by not letting myself have my lunch shake until I'd finished my water bottle and then the same for my afternoon snack. I was going to go to the indoor track at the local school tonight but instead decided to walk to Walgreen's and pick up some NyQuil (coming down with a cold). I made the route a little convoluted to make it be 15 minutes each way. The front part of my thighs is really feeling that I'm walking again--I feel them when I go up and down the stairs. My plan is to stay at 30 minutes for a while (week or two) and then increase it to 40, which was a really comfortable length of time. It's good to be moving again.

I haven't started reading my cards again but I can only do so many things and the journal does take some time--but I think it's going to be good for me for a while. One of the sections is to write down my daily affirmation. "I am nurturing myself with that which serves me". I updated my ticker--didn't want to. I like updating it when the number is going down but not so much when it's gone up. But I need to be honest with myself and all of you if I'm going to succeed.

We did some organizing in the basement tonight of boxes that need to be dealt with long-term. We intend to empty our storage unit this weekend, so that will be more boxes--but we'll finally have all of our stuff in one place again! DH will let his boxes pile up, but I'll organize my stuff in the next month or two. I am so looking forward to having access to all my things again--stuff has been in storage for 21 months! Some of it I probably don't need, but others of it, such as my sewing stuff, was in storage until we had a house to put it in!

onebyone: I think you should give yourself credit for giving attention to all of those things--they are hard.

penny: Your kitchen re-org is motivating!

karenrn: Otis sounds like a cutie--being scared of big trucks!

maryann: I do live in the Chicago area (about 7 miles west of O'hare). Hope you have a great trip--the weather this weekend is going to be quite mild (for a Chicago January)

joy: Credit for weighing! And yay for it not being as bad as you were afraid it would be!

BillBlueEyes: Your DGD sounds like such a bundle of joy and energy!

G'night all!

--Beth

Old 01-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday- Sir Isaac Newton, English physicist and father of modern science, born (1643)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was the UPS delivery of a stand to sit under DW's computer so that she can stand while working. It's to solve a (temporary?) issue with too much sitting. The stand is exactly as expected; it unpackaged easily; it lifts up and down easily; it's the right color. Every now and then an online purchase just works.

Eating was OKish. There was one serving of ice cream left in the container from Christmas dinner. It got assigned to me after dinner. I ate it. It wasn't necessary, but I enjoyed it and I'm happy to know that the freezer now only contains food. Eating rationally is easier for me when the unnecessary food isn't in the house.

onebyone - LOL at the Norwegian 'matpakke' for lunch. I do like the efficiency of it rather than the focus on fine dining. Thanks for the link. Kudos for charging forth even if feeling a bit wobbly.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for whims! And for reasonable choices.

maryann - Waving back toward the windy city. Hope you have time to visit the Museum of Science and Industry. Neat idea to think about food less.

Karen (karenrn) - Such good news about the baby. LOL at Otis being afraid of big trucks.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Getting all your stuff back into your own house sounds like a great step forward. Hope the unpacking goes well. Kudos for taking a convoluted path to increase your walking.

Penny. - Neat to substitute pyrex for plastic; I do like the feel of glass. After much googling, I once learned how to order a new blue plastic top to our favorite Pyrex container. Its price was reasonable - shipping was high. So I ordered two to reduce average shipping cost, LOL. I have no idea where the second top is now.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Yesterday, you learned about fooling-yourself thoughts that tend to talk you into giving in to desires and cravings. Today, you'll learn how to respond to a specific fooling-yourself thought - the one that encourages you to abandon your diet for the whole day after you've eaten something you weren't supposed to. Your thinking might go like this, I can't believe I let myself eat this! I've really blow it ... I might as well eat whatever I want for the rest of the day and start dieting again tomorrow.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 166.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave since I need to do an errand before work. I did well yesterday until the night when I fell into emotional eating. Still too many sweets in the house thanks to DD I made myself a new card; Pain Free (for my leg)- that is a good motivator.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

I planned one snack yesterday but ate two. I was hungry. An advantage to weighing every day is that I can let that guide my plan. I'm sure that I can't eat two snacks (unless they're both salads) for long and keep getting a drop on the scale. But, I'll let the scale tell me when I need to make a change. I've planned two snacks for today and we'll see how that goes.

Summary
Implemented food plan: 70%
Exercise: +30, 95/1100 minutes for January
Weigh-in: -0.2kg

onebyone: I'm still blogging, but I don't review every book I read, any more. I record the books I read in Goodreads, which makes it easy to set a goal each year. I set my goal for 40 books in 2019. I've started off with a couple of middle-grade books, so I'm off to a fast start!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #27  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Two days of increased veg and fruit has done a number on the gas situation. I'm hoping that calms down before work the next two days.

Onebyone, thanks for posting that article! I really enjoyed reading it.

Beth, you're on a roll now! Good luck with the unpacking and storage empty.

Bill, good to know about replacement lids for the Pyrex. Yay for clearing out the last of the ice cream.

Curly, good luck avoiding the siren call of candy today.

Joy, yay for the drop in weight!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #28  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

A quick post since dh will be home very soon. Staying on food plan and my exercise today was back to the gym for weights and 30 minutes on the elliptical. I actually went to the gym before I walked Otis cause it was still so cold this morning.
We went for a nice walk once I got home. Yesterday's hike was a little shorter than I planned. I don't know if it was in my head or real, but I felt like I was running out of gas. I did eat a 190 cal bar when I got to the top of the first hill, but then when I
went part way down the backside of the hill I just didn't feel that energetic and it's quite a hill to climb . . . so I only went half way down. I think I'll try to remember to hike closer to breakfast or go ahead and eat lunch early before I go in the future.
My iPhone health ap says I climbed 110 floors, so you know it's a good hill.

Personals tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #29  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Took you guys along

Coaches!

Hello.

So I was reminded of the power of this group today. I was in the grocery store and wow was I tempted by absolutely everything. But! Since I knew I was going to be posting here I pictured telling all of you of my off plan food and the whole scene of me writing that here flashed through my brain and it was enough to get me out of the store without any obviously poor food choices in my basket. I am grateful for that right now but was feeling miffed about saying no to myself even though that is exactly what I did. I strayed though after the kitchen was closed at 7. I ate standing at the stove at 10pm as I put away leftovers. Ah. Solution: put leftovers away during my eating window. Then its not in my face later on when I dont need to be eating. I wasnt hungry. I just wanted more.

Also restart the idea of only eating when sitting down.

Today I spent about 3 hrs cleaning up my art studio. I also spent an hour or so editing some images which I printed out at the Staples store near the studio. The motivation to clean my space grows the closer I am to being ready to start a new painting. I am ready now. So the last clean up push will be the next time I am at my studio which will be Monday. As a result no cleaning at home was done. I will read a bit now. I expect 30min and then I'll be asleep. I spent a small amount of time devoted to online stuff. Enough to give me an idea of what overall direction to follow which is a pretty big deal. Credit for paying attention to the tasks for Jan.

Food is 90% on plan. Scale is at 277.2 down from Dec 31 high of 283.6.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-05-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 AM   #30  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all!

We went to the theater tonight and saw Beauty and the Beast. It was fun. At intermission, DH bought a piece of cake and got a fork for me and asked if I wanted a bite. I told him to take the offer back :-). I ate my meal replacement bar as planned, and then bought a bottle of water. I'm having a bit more water now but I'm going to bed a little hungry. It's a good decision, though--I'll be fine without additional food tonight. It's strange how much easier "can't eat anything but meal replacements" is than eating real food. I'm really going to have to work harder at transition when I attempt it again--I need a better approach.

Since we didn't go out to dinner, I took a convoluted walk to the drugstore again. I don't think I"ll try to make those trips efficient--it's much better for them to be inefficient and for me to get the walking in! It feels good to walk when there's somewhere I'm going. I will be trying the indoor track at the gym soon--the warmer (for Chicago) weather won't last forever!

His cake did look good--and I am having the sad conversation with myself that says "I may never be able to eat sweets again". I don't appear to be able to eat them in moderation or responsibly. Sure, lots of people can and do--I may just not be one of them and I may be better off with "never" than with "occasionally". A recovering sweetaholic.

onebyone: it is wonderful how a support group makes you want to live up to the expectations you set for yourself, isn't it? It sounds like you're making really good progress at the things you've set yourself to.

karenrn: Gym, dog walks, hikes--you've got exercise covered!

penny: What we eat sure can affect our digestive systems. I hope yours settles down.

joy: Looks like you're off to a good start to the month--reading, exercising, and weighing!

curlyjax: When DD goes back to school can you make sure all the treats disappear?

BillBlueEyes: I think it's easier to not eat treats that aren't in the house :-)

G'night all!

--Beth
Closed Thread