Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 13 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #181  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

My only report is that it's cold. It's even cold inside--or at least, it seems that way to me.

I stayed on track with food today--Thursday is my last 5 product day before I start eating a meal a day again. I'm pretty excited about it :-) and feel equipped to make good choices through our travel weekend and into next week, since I have next week all planned out and will grocery shop on Monday either at lunch or right after work.

No exercise today--they closed the park district at 6 pm because of the cold and I went shopping :-) instead.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 01-30-2019, 04:55 AM   #182  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Yerba Buena renamed San Francisco (1847)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It's a balmy 36 degrees F right now - makes me feel guilty since the US Midwest is being frozen. Prediction is for it to drop to 10 degrees F with snow later today. Makes me wish that I'd go out and buy a new winter coat. My standard criteria to buy new clothes is that the old ones are falling apart. DW thinks 'worn' is good enough. I suspect that winter coats are scarce in stores around here today.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi, because there is no snacking stuff visible. When I'm on a bad roll, I can dig into the tree nuts and dried fruit in the pantry. For some reason, the pantry is out of range for snacks - like on a different planet. Snacks are something that come from the kitchen. Food consumption doesn't seem to be rational, LOL.

maryann - Kudos for "Trip to the gym is no choice." I love when things are clear. Thanks to Dory in Finding Nemo for, "Just keep swimming."

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for shaving a minute off your hiking time of Camelback. Yep, you gotta eat enough to do your hiking.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Yikes! My computer says that it's -15 degrees F in Chicago right now. Double Yikes! Hope everything doesn't get closed.

Penny. - Being forced to smaller portions is a challenge. Hope the new cookbook works for you (and the family).

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

These weekly weigh-ins can help you in the following ways: . . .
They keep you honest if you've gained weight. If you haven't been following all the steps in the program, regular weigh-ins make you face that you can't get away with doing only the parts of the program you feel like doing.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 171.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #183  
persist

S/C/G: 296/286/145

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Judith Beck! What kind of sorcery is this?!

Coaches. Argh.

Ist official weighing : +1.3lb to 286.0

this is NOT going to set me back.
this is not "proof" of anything
I can't control my scale weight. I can make decisions and follow them and do what I need to do daily. The scale can take care of itself.

O Wise Judith Beck... today's reading posted by BillBlueEyes "just happens" to address weight gain. Hello? And it seemed like Day 20 in the posted readings took the whole month of January and yet everyday there were useful words there. Beck may not have "everything" I need but it has a lot.

I am in the right place.
I am day 1 week 2.
I will edit this note later when I set in place my daily to do list for this week AIMED SQUARELY at weightloss next Wednesday.

Bye for now.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #184  
Green Tomatoes

Checking in to complain about the cold, except that bethturnaround (and probably onebyone) has it worse. So, I'm going to consider 9 degrees balmy.

I had an event on Monday that took way more time than expected to prepare for and way more time than expected to follow up. I'm still following up today, but hope that it won't take all day. The stress has messed with my good habits. I'll work on minimizing the impact today knowing that I can come back stronger tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

Shout out to frosty Midwesterners. Yikes! Our high today is 62.
I’ll put it on my gratitude list.
Also in the list is another OP day in the books ; a solid pound down this week; the class I struggle with is only 48 mins (although it is 48 mins in the lion’s den); DS who is competing in”The Voice” competition at his high school acapella as a great example of courage; this blog; lattes on my machine for breakfast; new beginnings every day.

Last edited by maryann; 01-30-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #186  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down 0.2.

It's been an incredibly lazy few days, with no motivation to do anything or even read. Three naps. Ugh. I believe last January was similar.

Karen, snowbirds, that's right! Slow and steady seems to be the only healthy way with weightloss, though I wish I could speed it up.

Beth, what is your first meal going to be tomorrow? Credit for sticking to plan.

Maryann, I'm sorry you're having a rough class. Credit for sticking to plan!

Bill, credit for no snacking. Lol at the pantry being too far.

Onebyone, that fluctuation up in weight happens to me a lot and it's best to just march on and it will float back down. You've got this!

Joy, I'm sure your temp is whine worthy to me! Haha.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #187  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan except a few extra bites of meatloaf. I just got back from hiking Camelback this morning. I set my stop watch on my phone, but for some reason it must have gotten shut off in my pocket. I guess it doesn't really matter. I got to the top and back down again and I feel pretty good that I can do that. I haven't made my food plan for the day which doesn't matter so much since I almost always eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, but I had better get that done since it is helping me so much to do it and follow it. Weight is the same. Today I will focus better on getting all my water in.

Penny Do you have SAD? I didn't when I lived in the PNW, but I think dh did. Don't you just love to see the scale continue to move down. On the other hand you are working hard for it to do that. Go you!
Maryann Yahoo for a pound down.
GardenerJoy Yikes 9 degrees sounds cold. I can't complain at all right now as our high is supposed to be 73. However, you all know I will be whining come summer.
Onebyone The darn scale is a bugger sometimes for sure. Onward!
Bill I bet winter coats are scarce there. Maybe shopping for one just a little earlier would be a good idea. I have a feeling dw is right and a new coat is in order.
Beth All I can say to you is be careful and try not to freeze to death!

Last edited by karenrn; 01-30-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #188  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

My big news to report is that there is a pan full of raspberry shortbread bars cooling in the kitchen--and I didn't have a single bite of the dough or jam. I baked them and cleaned up without tasting at all! I was really motivated since I'm on day 30 of 31 days of "full fast"--I wasn't going to blow my streak with only one more day left in the month! Fortunately, DD has agreed to cut them and package them--I really don't want that temptation. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to abstain from tasting--probably because I was so firm in my resolve. That doesn't mean I'm going to start baking in quantity again--this was a one off treat for the bride!

I've struggled a bit with water the last two days--I'm going to focus on that more tomorrow. I'm still drinking more water than I used to, but probably only about 75% of what I should be.

None of us left the house today although DH has to go out in the morning and it's supposed to still be 20 below. It's -16 now. Garbage pickup, mail delivery, and Amazon Prime delivery were all cancelled for today as well as pretty much everything being closed. Our flight tomorrow night was cancelled--we've been re-booked to a nearby city, so we'll have a 90 minute drive when we get in, but at least we're still going to be able to get there. It took a while to get all of that straightened out. I'm just hoping that the weather issues don't play havoc with the re-booked flight.

karenrn: Food plans really do help, don't they? It's so much easier to stay OP when you actually have a plan! We'll both drink more water tomorrow!

Penny: Credit for another OP day--the scale is moving slowly for you--but it is moving! I'm not sure what we're eating this weekend. My son has planned the itinerary and restaurants, and we have one meal we have no control over (wedding reception). I'll bring bars for breakfast and mid-morning snack, and then make low carb restaurant decisions.

maryann: Yay for a pound down!!! I love reading about your gratitude book!

joy: I hope the followup stuff decreases in stressfullness. 9 is balmy compared to -16 but it's still darned cold!

onebyone: Are you weighing weekly? Sometimes weekly numbers can be odd just because of how bodies work! You're right to remind yourself--stay on plan and the numbers will follow.

BillBlueEyes: I saw warm coats at Kohl's yesterday. I wasn't looking for one so didn't pay much attention but they did have both men's and women's coats. They had plenty of men's hats and gloves, too, but hardly any for women. While I don't generally think of those things as being gendered, my hands are too small for men's gloves!

I'm going to dream of maryann and karen's heat! Since I don't have any, enjoy it for me!

--Beth
Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #189  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Charles Messier adds M57 (Ring Nebula in Lyra) to his catalog (1779)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. First shock came when driving her to our house. In response to some turn of events in the book DW was reading to her in the backseat of the car, she came out with "What the heck?" I nearly drove off the road. Such an expression for a half-pint. Felt warned to watch what I say around her since someone else will hear it later. At the Boston Museum of Science - our adventure for the day - she warmed up to the docent explaining taste by giving three different cotton swabs dipped in liquids to ask what the taste was. Turns out she doesn't yet know sweet, sour, and salty as concepts. At least, she didn't before that moment. I suspect she does now. I learned where the nerves are in the nose that detect smell by the shape of molecules. Yep, our pronounced sense of smell is just a shape detector. Who'd a thunk? She pushed the buttons for each moving gear - the exact same ones her uncle, my DS, pushed some 35+ years ago. There might be a budding engineer in there. She said "I know Blue Jay" when choosing buttons to push that would shine a light on the stuffed bird in the sealed display. She loves pushing buttons. We were thrilled because we had identified the Blue Jay to her nine months ago. That little brain remembers.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Lunch at the museum for an odd assortment of stuff because buying food for the DGD is a guessing game and we get to eat the losing entries. I had a soup with the incredibly delicious name "Kale and sausage" that had much Kale, more beans, and about as much sausage as pork-and-beans has pork. Who needed the calories anyway? Breakfast included real blueberries because DW fell for an Amazon Prime Whole Foods special and bought a quart clam of them despite her disdain for the carbon footprint of flying blueberries from South America in January.

onebyone - Thanks for "I can't control my scale weight. I can make decisions and follow them and do what I need to do daily." Yep, Judith Beck is reading our minds, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats to St. Louis for skipping the worst part of the Polar Vortex happening right next door. Stress impacts everything.

maryann - Ouch for 48 minutes in the "lion's den." Perhaps there's some solace in the thought that Daniel made it out alive. Which solace not to diminished by the recent assertion that Daniel was merely a legendary figure since, to be sure, your lion's den is real.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for doing Camelback one more time with Kudos for accepting that your attempt to time the hike didn't work.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super Kudos for producing a tray of raspberry shortbread bars without sampling. Neat to enlist your DD to help so you could stay away. Your temperatures are beyond scary. Hope you come out alive with all your plumbing not frozen.

Penny. - Yay for three naps - sounds like a perfect day to me.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

These weekly weigh-ins can help you in the following ways: . . .

They help you stay committed to the program. If you're happy with your weight loss, you'll feel motivated to continue doing what you've been doing. If you're disappointed, you can declare that you're going to figure out where you went wrong, reread parts of this book, and start fresh.

But be careful: Weighing yourself can erode your motivation more than it helps if you step on the scale with the wrong mindset.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 171.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #190  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with cycling class, and weight is holding.

I put an old fav in the crockpot this morning, our 15 bean soup with the newer addition of crumbled tempeh instead of ground turkey. I'm going to pair it with a new recipe from the vegan 8 cookbook: sweet potato cornbread. Should be good!

Karen, credit for the hike, even without the timer. I thought I had SAD last year and purchased a light. This year I think it might be a little anemia or something. I'm on my second cycle this month. Ugh!

Beth, major credit for baking without sampling. Knowing it's a fav of yours it reminds me of one of the things in Penn Jillette's book. He felt like he enjoyed a lot of great foods in his lifetime and used those memories to be ok with never eating that way again. That phase was wonderful but finished. I thought it was an interesting take.

Bill, you and your wife are building great memories and a great relationship with your GD. She's lucky to have so much family support!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 157

Height: 5'6

Lunch break.

As BBE said I was Daniel during 4th period and survived two more days. I bribe them ridiculously by allowing them to earn activity time to play games and win prizes. I shower then with attention. I circle the room constantly and whisper in their ears so they know I see all. I will start thinking of all these things as aerobic and therefore calorie burning. Tomorrow will be the end of week 3 of the second semester and the 100th day. I am over half way through the year. That feels good.

Food was OP but I ate passed my hunger scale 2. This will be my new challenge. I am trying a different treat to drop weight a little faster. Feels good to have enough disciples to make choices instead of acting on impulse.

I hand you all except Karen a magical shovel to whisk away the snow.

Last edited by maryann; 01-31-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #192  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

Just a quick check in, I'll write more tomorrow. Food was on plan and weight the same. I did a five mile hike with some friends today. It had a good climb which I always like. Tomorrow I'll do my weekly weigh in and monthly assessment which will include measurements to see if they have changed in the month. I don't imagine it will be much of a change.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #193  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the February 2019 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Closed Thread