Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 11 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #151  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with cycling class, and weight is down a pound.

Beth, congrats on the 80 pounds down! You are doing great!

Bill, credit for the big salad and one plate.

Curly, hugs to you on your DHs death anniversary.

Onebyone, I'm glad you found your motivation again and I'm sorry you've been feeling down.

Maryann, credit for four days on plan! That is excellent.

Karen, credit for the planned and measured treat.

Last edited by Penny.; 01-24-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #152  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. This morning my friend and I went to the gym. I did 35 minutes on the elliptical and another 30 minutes of step ups, plank and strength training. My food plan is made for today and I'm finding it is really working for me. It is day 26 of no drinking and I'm sure that also helps because I don't have a few drinks (which I could plan) and then let that roll into less good food choices. I'll be making two airport runs tomorrow. I'll take Lynne around 10:30 and then pick up dh about 5:00. I'm glad the airport is only 20 minutes away. I've enjoyed the time with friends and now I will be glad to get back into more hiking. I always enjoy the hiking, but when I have backpacking trips ahead of me I really feel like I need to be doing strenuous hikes to be ready for them. This afternoon is a hair appointment and then my friend and I are going out to dinner. I have already chosen a sashimi salad that I have had in the past and is delicious. I do want you all to know that I have both ice cream and Walker's shortbread cookies at my house and I am not having any. I am changing my story about myself. I have always thought I was someone who could not control myself when I have goodies in the house. That isn't true. I just haven't chosen to. I am going to control myself and if I want to have some again, I will put it on my 24 hour plan in the morning. I'll let you know when or if that happens.

Penny Good job on the weight being down. Mine is oh so slow. I am down 3.4 pounds since 12/26, so I'll take it. I think I'm going to see a drop tomorrow cause I'm feeling a little hungry today.
Onebyone I'm sorry you're having a bad month. I don't imagine the weather helps much.
Maryann You do rock! I think anytime we follow the plan we make for ourselves it is great! The weight loss will come. I wish you had a mountain too. They call them mountains here, but actually they are more like hills compared to Washington. The elevation gains work great for exercise though.
Curlyjax Yes, you can stick to something and I'm sure you've done it many times. You have had a really difficult year. Give yourself credit for getting through it, being a great Mom and doing all the many new things you have had to do this year. We are all in your corner!
Bill Your little granddaughter sounds like so much fun. I'm sure you and your wife are just loving watching her grow. What a smart little girl she is.
Beth Super congratulations on losing 80 pounds! That is fabulous. I agree it is probably easier to stay on the program food at your event this weekend. It would be easier to follow a food plan at home where you know exactly what you are having.

Okay, I think I'd better put those cookies in the freezer so they don't get stale.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #153  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday -

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Temperatures reached 60 degrees F!!! Thought I was in Arizona for a minute. And it rained all day. I did have to go out and shovel one sidewalk in the side yard that the rain wasn't going to clear. The bad news: a sump pump that keeps the basement dry got stuck in the ON position. That was better than stuck in the OFF position, but running non-stop will eventually burn it out. The big box hardware stores were happy to order one to arrive in a few days. The local hardware store just happened to have the model I needed as a return. They were trying to figure out what to do with it. I grabbed it. And got my senior discount off the top. Sometimes things work out. Waited until this morning to put it in - in case something goes wrong, I want to be able to go pick up a temporary substitute. Without a working pump, the basement gets a layer of water. While shopping for the pump I got to run an errand at the drugstore and browse the local bookstore. They didn't have the book that I wanted for its author's talk this Sunday. "I guess they'll arrive with the author; you'll have to get it then." So much for trying to be an early bird.

Eating was OK. Dinner was, once again, grilled salmon. I think we're personally contributing to the extinction of salmon. Sorry for that, folks, but it's sure good eating while it lasts.

onebyone - Yay for back into decluttering. Sending supportive thoughts for facing your Christmas day thing. Kudos for remembering that eating won't help it.

maryann - Kudos for fourth day OP. Yep give yourself credit where you deserve it.

Karen (karenrn) - Two trips to the airport in one day is a bit much - may you survive. Super Kudos for ignoring goodies in the house.

curlyjax - The first anniversary is a tough time. Sending heaps of warm support as you plough through.

Penny. - Neat that you keep doing your cycling class.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

In order to prepare yourself for occasions when you eat something you're not supposed to, create a Get Back on Track Response Card right now. Read it at least once a day, then pull it out and read it again when you need it. Model it after this card:
Get Back on Track

If I've eaten something I shouldn't, I haven't blown it. It's
not the end of the world. I can start following my plan
again right this minute. Just because I made a mistake
doesn't mean I should keep on eating. That makes no
sense. It's a million times better to stop now than to
allow myself to eat more.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 169.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 157

Height: 5'6

Continued OP. I listened to a PHit and Phat podcast while walking. ( Episode 52, Karen, I think. ) it was on the Hunger scale. Hunger goes from -10 to 10. I eat at -2 and stop at 2 which is satisfied. This is very much in line with Beck who tells us to leave items on our plate as practice. The Hunger scale takes the place of calorie counting. This is something I can do for the rest of my life and also something that takes practice.

Glad it is Friday. I do enjoy the weekends.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #155  

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan and weight dropped 1.2 pounds this morning. I'm losing about a pound a week. Not fast, but I don't have so much to lose and I'm happy with that rate. I walked Otis this morning, but that might be the exercise today. I have a good hike on the calendar for tomorrow. I woke up really early this morning and I may just plan a nap for the afternoon between my airport trips. I need to start really researching my backpacking trips for the summer to know exactly when I need to apply for the permits. Each one is different and the rules are kind of involved. For the John Muir Trail I need to know where I will start out and about where I will stay each night. I think the rule for that one is that you apply 168 days before you plan to hike, but it is different if you go over Mt. Whitney. Anyway, I really need to know so I don't miss a cut off date. I have plenty of resources to help with the planning. Actually one of the best is the FB groups.

Maryann I think Phit n Phat and Beck work well together. I will be forever working on my hunger scale and I am still kind of eating on the clock, but I've been almost perfect about not eating anything that isn't on my plan. It is definitely working for me so far.
Bill Your weather is a bit crazy. We are having a beautiful sunny day and it is expected to be a high of 70 or so, but it was 38 when I walked Otis and there is frost on the lounge chairs outside. What is this senior discount at Home Depot? I'll have to check that out.

I hope everybody has a great weekend. We have an empty house . . . . until Monday when dh's brother arrives for an 8 day visit. He's going to help with some home repairs though, so that's great.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #156  
persist

S/C/G: 296/286/145

Height: 5' 6"

Default More things & wk 1 day 3/7 OP

Coaches

Today I have the coffee table and the sofa to clear off. Dishes to do. Kitchen counter and table. Very do-able,

I also have to decide what material I will make 33 (minimum) jewelry items from for my display board that goes back on display at my local selling venue once we open for the season. Opening isn't until Feb 9 but intake of work is tomorrow between 10-12pm. I also have greeting cards to put price stickers on and a few to find to round out my offerings. The fun part is making the stuff but I can't do that until I clear my work space off for my toaster oven, which is what I use to make my stuff in.

Foodwise OP 2 days and off to a good start today.

I am going to commit here to doing 15min of Walk Away the Pounds from whatever you tube video of that I can hunt down. A while ago I found a whole channel. In general I don't like you tube at all. DH is always pointing me to stuff on there especially course or classes or whatever. I don't learn well watching things online. I learn much better with an instructor, in a class with people. Although I have used you tube for car stuff and house stuff and some making of things stuff. It is my last resort though.

How did I get on that?

Anyway better get to work. I don't want to be in a time crunch so early in the new year. Ugh!

BillBlueEyes: we also had a warm up in temperature yesterday or the day before. It melted a lot of snow. Ditches are full of ice now. We got the snow only days before along with frigid temperatures which froze our downstairs (basement apt) neighbour's water pipes. Got a text from the landlord asking us to raise the temperature on the thermostat for our building (an ordinary house converted into 3 apartments. I am ground floor. One above and one below me. We have heat/ac control in our unit .) Same day neighbour upstairs asked us to turn heat down cause they are roasting. Same day, too, that our apartment door doorknob decided to lock me out as I was in the foyer doing laundry. DH was more so he let me in. Our solution? We duct taped the thingy that latches so that doorknob can't lock us out and rely on the deadbolt only. January. It's tough on stuff. Happy your sump pump needs are being met. You sure don't want that to go wrong.

maryann : Kudos for being OP and for just ever moving forward. Happy Friday to you.

karenrn : Good to read about your future hikes. It's always great to look forward to good things coming. Enjoy your weekend to yourself.

Penny. :
we were posting at the same time. Happy to read your weight is holding steady. Great job trying new recipes. Did you enjoy your new recipes? Are they keepers?

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-25-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #157  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I made two more recipes from the new cook book: meatless bean balls and peanut veggie stir-fry over rice noodles. The stir-fry tastes kind of like pad thai. The fridge is stocked with all kinds of food and the family is making a lot of sandwiches, even DH. We'll see if they come around.

Karen, excellent weight loss numbers! That 70 degrees sounds so nice.

Maryann, I keep saying I'm going to check out the podcast. I need to do that!

Bill, nice to have it warm up. Not nice about the sump pump, but fortunate to have one ready for purchase in the store. I hope it works okay.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #158  

Midday Checkin

I just survived two major challenges at school. The Latino Ladies made a big meal of delicious and homemade Mexican delicacies. I briefly tried to convince myself that I could find healthy choices. But not breaking plan was more important. I told myself if I really wanted Mexican food I could put it on my plan for tomorrow. Secondly, I didn't take even one scrap from the bakery cookies that I brought for my students even though there were lots of broken bits. Broken bits don't count. Right? I said No choice and came back to eat my packed lunch.

Yeah!!!!

I have a treat massage I set up at the beginning of the week at 3:30.

Penny: How were the meatless beanballs? We get free beans from our coop. I would love to add another recipe to the menu list

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #159  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - 5th recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet (66 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I did it. I replaced the sump pump. It was easier than it could have been. I then wormed my way through a zillion pages online until I was able to order a replacement switch kit, with new gasket. When that arrives next week, I'll repair the old one and keep it as a spare for when this one dies in twenty years. I cringe to think of how old I'll be when I'm on my hands and knees replacing this next time. Hope I'm keeping myself flexible. Picked up a book at the library that I'd ordered so long ago that I'd forgotten about it. Then three new books arrived with the mail. I'm ready to retreat into my comfortable chair and just read for a few days.

Eating was OK. DW finally served the leftover mac-and-cheese that I've been drooling over. That stuff tastes almost as good reheated as it does originally. Plus it has the two days of anticipation.

onebyone - Good solution to an uncooperative door knob, LOL. I hate repairing door knobs - so small and each one is different inside.

maryann - Super neat that you're able to use the Hunger Scale to monitor eating. Kudos for ignoring the crumbs of those cookies.

Karen (karenrn) - That seems a bit involved to get permits to hike the John Muir Trail - Congrats for having your act together to get it done on time.

Penny. - LOL at your poor family making sandwiches in order to avoid vegan food. Hunger will set in at some point.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

what are you thinking?
You might not have the following sabotaging thoughts today, but you probably will have them at some point when you stray from your plan. Add whatever you find useful to your Get Back on Track Response Card.

Sabotaging Thought: I can't believe I ate that! I'll never lose weight!
Helpful Response: What would my diet coach tell me if she knew I ate this? She would say, "Don't feel bad. Everyone overats from time to time. You can start again right now. It's not such a big deal. Give yourself a break."

Old 01-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

I missed a couple of days checking in due to two morning appointments for car service. The first was a planned oil change and check-up. The second was "you need this fix but (oops!) we don't have the part." The good news is that my windshield washer should be fully functional with unplugged nozzles and a new pump. That's a good thing to have working during winter weather.

I realized this morning that I'm not weighing, in part, because I don't want to report the number here and over on the weight loss challenge thread. That's an easy fix. I just won't post the number! What was working for me a couple of weeks ago was to report the "conversation" that I had with the scale. So, I'll try that for a bit.

Exercise: +30, 825/1100 minutes for January
Old 01-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #161  

OP Day. Scale was down a pound. Trying not to think of it as a reward. The reward is that I honored my commitment to myself. The scale right now is less important. Who am I kidding though? A drop is nice More importantly, I would never have seen the drop if I had snacked yesterday.

This morning is a recital DS is playing with lunch following. I have put on my plan “Large salad” but that can change to sashimi salad if that is what DS picks. I have also put down a vague “dessert” because I usually eat till I am satisfied and give the rest to my beanpole son.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited by maryann; 01-26-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #162  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight dropped a tiny smidge.

On weds and thurs I had to eat a little later than usual, so on fri my body was expecting food and feeling a little deprived. I had to talk myself through it by noting my body is in weightloss mode and trying to resist. It worked. Hopefully, hunger won't be an issue tonight.

Bill, I'm glad the sump pump is back to working. Mac and cheese is usually a crowd pleaser.

Joy, credit for recognizing you don't have to share your weight. Your body/life, your rules!

Onebyone, love the jewlery making! I hope you got your surfaces clean and walk away the pounds done.

Maryann, bean balls were fine but a little dry. They kind of suck the moisture out of my mouth, but a sauce helps. Garden burgers are made with beans a lot too.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 AM   #163  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

My Mensa weekend is going well. We’ve played lots of fun games and there were some great talks on leadership.

Food has been challenging. I have triumphed and stayed completely with my meal replacement products. But there have been a lot of temptations. But sweets do not serve me. And I made a plan and goal to only eat products in the month of January. Pizza doesn’t serve me either. I’m proud of myself for staying strong and using my resistance muscle. Back home tomorrow.

—Beth
Old 01-27-2019, 06:17 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart born (1756, Salzburg, Austria)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - So, I did spend much of the day reading my new book for the spring course on Biology of the Cell. Was a bit disappointed. It's one of those "For Dummies" type of book that reads like every 10th sentence from a real book without attempt to make choices in what material to present and what to skip. Fortunately, I do have a real biology book on a shelf somewhere that I can use to help me. It's a challenge to condense difficult material. I get more out of one good diagram then I get from pages of poorly written text.

Eating was OK. Snacking was back. My brain always thinks that snacking will help with procrastination, LOL. I did, however, choose to give my lemon square dessert to DW that she'd purchased for us. She thinks they're wonderful; me, not so much. So I let her have it. If I'm going to do the calories of dessert it has to make my heart soar.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for working windshield squirters. The fluid isn't supposed to freeze, yet it seems to do so at the tip of the nozzle just when you need it most.

maryann - Neat to have a "beanpole son" to finish any dessert. I need one of those.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Thanks for "But sweets do not serve me." I can use that.

Penny. - Kudos for talking yourself through a feeling of hunger.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

what are you thinking?
You might not have the following sabotaging thoughts today, but you probably will have them at some point when you stray from your plan. Add whatever you find useful to your Get Back on Track Response Card.

Sabotaging Thought: This is too hard. I can't do it. I'll never be able to stop myself from eating like this. I may as well give up.
Helpful Response: Okay, so I made a mistake. This was inevitable. It's unreasonable to expect myself to be perfect every single time. I'm not a failure. I can learn something from this experience to help me the next time.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #165  

Good morning coaches,

Food has been on plan and weight is stable. Yesterday Hiking Suzanne and I met up with the group to do the hike in the McDowell's, but the group turned out to be 25 people or more. We both knew that wouldn't work for us, so we told the leader we wouldn't be joining them. I'm not sure why they even have an on-line sign up if you don't need to sign up. I would never go on a hike with that many people. We got a good 8+ mile hike in, but it wasn't very strenuous. I'll get out and do a hill today. I downloaded a book that helps with the beginning planning for the John Muir Trail hike and read the first half of that which makes the summer backpacking real. One of the point he makes in the book is how much easier the hike is if a person isn't carrying extra weight. Dh will be golfing this afternoon and I had better do some meal planning since my brother in law will be here. He is overweight and a big eater, but I want to have things that he will like but will still be fine for those of us who are wanting to lose weight, not gain.

Bill Glad you got the sump pump changed out and it will be great to have a back up. You mentioned mac n cheese and I think I'll pull some out of the freezer for dinner tonight. Our next door neighbor has a lemon tree that is just full of lemons. I took a dozen to Suzanne yesterday. I love lemon bars and have only made them once with her lemons.
Beth I'm so glad to hear the weekend is going well for you. I tell you the resistance muscle really does get stronger, doesn't it.
Penny
You are doing so well!
Maryann Yay for down a pound! Double yay for having a son who is a bean pole and can eat what is left of treats. He is such an amazing young man. How wonderful for you!
Joy You report whatever you want to, whatever is helpful. Glad the car is taken care of.
Onebyone How about a photo of the jewelry you are making?
Waving to Curlyjax!

Have a great Sunday!

Closed Thread