3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/316395-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-december-2018-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 12-01-2018 03:41 PM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

BillBlueEyes 12-01-2018 03:51 PM

Saturday - Rosa Parks refuses to move to the back of a bus (1955, Montgomery)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At the supermarket, I only bought what was on my list, CREDIT moi, skipping the numerous opportunities to pick up stuff for nibbling. Turned out to be a pretty good on plan eating day.

The big excitement was to receive the package containing two presents for DW for Christmas: a kit for the Ancestry DNA analysis, and Michelle Obama's new book Becoming. I thought I was buying something special, but just read that Obama's book is THE best seller for 2018. It's a bit selfish to buy DW a present that I want to read, but it's a habit we both enjoy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for structure - but analysis is so much more fun.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the notion of a length of PVC pipe for exercise equipment.

Penny. - Congrats for attacking old photos - that's a big challenge in our life here.

Readers -
Quote:

day 18 Change Your Definition of Full

Here's a way to determine if you've overeaten: Think about how easy it would be to take a walk at a moderate to brisk pace before you eat. You should be able to walk at the same pace just as easily after a meal, too. If you can't easily take a moderate to brisk walk after a meal, it means that you've eaten too much and you might have an unrealistic definition of fullness.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 158.

BillBlueEyes 12-02-2018 06:57 AM

Sunday - Enrico Fermi ’s 1st self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction (1942, U Chicago)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Bird walk in the afternoon, CREDIT moi, saw two Bald Eagles flying over. That's a treat for us around here; there are a few regulars nesting an hour to the north, but they tend to avoid our local spots.

Treat in the morning was Members' Day at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The Christmas red and white flowers were about and a harp was being played in the courtyard. The place never ceases to enchant. We were served breakfast consisting of to-die-for poppy cake - the same every year. I skipped my breakfast cereal so that I could have the poppy cake. CREDIT moi for the balance, even if not perfect. We're reminded each visit of the grand theft of 1990 included Rembrandt's Storm on the Sea of Galilee. Always ponder if anyone will ever see those paintings after 28 years.

Alas, I did indeed post yesterday in the November thread and only in the afternoon start the December thread. Three posts from yesterday are permanently ensconced in the wrong month. Oh, Well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for your continued daily exercise streak.

curlyjax - Yay, indeed, for a good band at a bargain price.

Penny. - Look forward to hearing what you do with tempeh - it's not part of our regular life.

Readers -
Quote:

People without weight problems feel somewhat uncomfortable when they eat to the point where they can't comfortably take a walk after a meal. But when you eat to that point, you might not feel the same discomfort. The sensations you notice might feel normal to you. Your definition of fullness might be prat of the reason you gained weight in the first place or have had difficulty losing weight.

curlyjax 12-02-2018 09:04 AM

Yesterday was bits of food here and there. I think i did okay, other than some chips and some chocolate. I went to a facilitated drumming circle with African drums and it was so fun!! There was healthy food there to snack on, as well as the other stuff. It sounds like there are opportunities around here to do drumming in circles. I may splurge and buy myself a drum.
We bought a tree yesterday and it is outside enjoying the pouring rain of today.I have to clean up a lot before I can bring it in, which will force me to dealing with some stuff that's been in the living room way too long.
Penny- that is so cool! I have very found memories of Beverly Cleary books from my childhood. I have cooked with tofu but not tempeh,it will be interesting to see what you come up with!
Bill- you are our fearless leader, we will follow you into the wrong month without question!:) Thanks for the reminder about that museum- I haven't been in years.

gardenerjoy 12-02-2018 10:36 AM

I'm struggling to really get a fully on-plan day to happen, even when I try. A reminder that it's easier to stay on track than get back on track. My goal this week is to be back to the place where I can make a food plan and implement it!

Yesterday's summary
Made food plan: 75%
Implemented food plan: 25%
Exercise: +40, 40/1000 minutes for December

Penny. 12-02-2018 11:44 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

The tempeh is interesting. I cooked it in the oven with a mustard, balsamic, soy sauce mix and had it with veg and rice. It tastes like a bunch of softened peanuts crammed together. And reminds me that just because it doesn't have that pull to eat more than I should, does not mean that it is not good. It's perfectly fine.

We pulled our tiny fake tree out of the attic and then my son wanted his drum set down too. So now the tree is up but barely visible behind a giant set of drums.

Bill, thank you for keeping the thread going. Credit for balancing your poppy cake into the plan. That sounds yum.

Curly, that's so cool about the drumming circle. I have a djembe but couldn't really find a class or group close enouh. The drum moves around the house without a proper place to keep it. I am planning to wrap it up for our extended family party and gift exchange.

Joy, so true about it being easier to stay on plan than to get back on plan. I have moments of panic that I'm doing good now but it can all be for nothing because I'll lose it and eat my way back up. I've been on this rollercoaster too many times.

karenrn 12-02-2018 12:26 PM

Good morning,

Yesterday was off plan in a big way. I didn't exercise and then I did eat too much to make up for it. Ha ha. We went to the local tavern for dinner where I had a couple of beers and a Rueben sandwich for dinner. After that we stopped at the grocery store and bought a few oatmeal raison cookies to eat. The sorry part is that I feel great today. I chose to do my easier hike that I usually do when I haven't hiked much and it was incredibly easy and I just feel terrific. I am listening to an audiobook about how not to die which sounds so far like be on a plant based diet, so I stopped and purchased more veggies at the market on the way home. We won't be following a plant based diet, but I always think lots of veggies are a good thing. I did get the tree up and the decorations placed yesterday. I also started a puzzle a couple of days ago and have it on the dining room table (where nothing else is happening soon) and I'm trying to use that as something to do in between things when ordinarily I think I need a snack. Today I'll get the Christmas cards going and probably can finish them. At the end of the week we'll have a friend take a photo of the two of us and Otis and I'll have copies made if they turn out okay and stick them in the card. Two years ago today dh and I flew to Denver to pick up Otis who was 8 weeks old. As you all know, we are crazy about him and he has been so fun to have.

Bill I guess I read but didn't post yesterday and I did notice it was still on the November thread. Let us know how the Michelle Obama book is.
Curlyjax The drumming sounds like so much fun. I hope the rain quits falling so your tree will be dry enough to come in the house.
GardenerJoy I went off the rails even with a food plan yesterday. I guess my challenge today is to follow the food plan.
Penny I have never cooked with tempeh either although we used to have tofu regularly. I had a casserole recipe that we both really liked and I wish I still had it. Sometimes getting rid of cookbooks isn't a good thing.

Okay, I'm going to set up the kitchen table as my station for getting the Christmas cards started. Dh is going to the golf course soon to practice and I might just put on a Hallmark movie. I hope you all have a great rest of the weekend.

BillBlueEyes 12-03-2018 05:38 AM

Monday - Frederick Douglass publishes first issue of his newspaper "North Star"(1847)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked to local nursery school for their annual "yard sale" - the parents all bring in what they no longer need and sell it to other parents. And to willing grandparents - whoever is willing to put up a few dollars. We walked out with two bags full of books and floor puzzles for $20. Actually the tab was for $17 but I couldn't allow myself to take the change. We'll send them a contribution later. Around little kids, there's often very little money. There was a Radio Flyer wagon - red of course - that I lusted for. Unfortunately, we don't have need for such a wagon. Later I saw a grad school-aged couple speaking German to each other pulling the wagon away. It found a good home.

Spent most of the afternoon in a meeting of three people without food present. I'd thought of bringing in a snack but didn't. Glad that I didn't; it is possible to go for two hours without the solace of food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for "easier to stay on track than get back on track."

Karen (karenrn) - A Rueben sandwich is my weak spot - when one's on the menu I gotta have it. Happy anniversary, Otis - you've certainly earned your happiness quotient.

curlyjax - Love the notion of buying a drum. Yay for getting your tree already; we wait a while longer.

Penny. - I cringe at the thought of a giant set of drums in the living room. Are there rules for when they can be played?

Readers -
Quote:

You might eat beyond the point of normal fullness for several other reasons, too: One, you might want to prolong the eating experience - that is, have food in your mouth for a longer period of time. Two, you might have difficulty turning your attention away from eating if you know there's food readily available. Three, you might be concerned that if you don't load up now, you'll be too hungry before you can have your next meal or snack. You might link the sensation of overfullness with feeling safe or protected from discomfort. In other words, you eat more now to avoid feeling hungry later.

curlyjax 12-03-2018 07:09 AM

Credit for making a light healthy dinner of salmon, kale and farro, with homemade apple crisp since I knew I would be hungry after that. I haven't gotten much exercise in over the weekend but I have been having a good time socially which I need to. I wasted too much time last night online but at least i wasn't eating!
It is so wierd to go to the grocery store and not see any lettuce or spinach- all these empty spaces. Makes me realize how good we Americans really have it, there is always an abundance of food available in the stores. I'm so used to eating salad every day, I really have to think what else i can bring for a quick healthy lunch.
Bill- I forget if I mentioned there is a wonderful Winnie the Pooh exhibit at the MFA, with some original sketches, and a recording of the author reading. your granddaughter would be a perfect age for it if she likes Pooh.
Karen- ha! that you felt great today after the cookies etc. Maybe you ate less than you thought in the past few days. Good for you getting going on the cards.
Penny- good reminder that dinner doesn't always have to be fabulous. Thanks for sharing what you did. It's going to be a noisy holiday!
Gardenerjoy-good luck with your planning. Things do come up which makes it all challenging.

gardenerjoy 12-03-2018 09:15 AM

It's clear that I'm going to need to find some willingness to implement my food plan if I'm going to reach 100% on that. It's not just about having the right foods and a plan to fix them. It's also about shopping at a time when I'm less likely to forage for treats. And, building my resistance muscle.

Fortunately, there's a structure that will help with that -- advantages and responses. I don't currently have those in a format that is likely to develop into a daily habit. I've got an idea that might work, but I'm not sure I'll get it done today.
In the meantime, I'll run errands after breakfast, the time that I'm least likely to pursue off-plan foods.

Yesterday's summary
Made food plan: 100%
Implemented food plan: 60%
Exercise: +15, 65/1000 minutes for December

curlyjax and BillBlueEyes: I can recommend the movie Goodbye Christopher Robin to go with your Pooh exhibit, although it's very much for adults. All about the downside of success, if you're not thoughtful about it. I'm looking forward to this month's DVD release of Christopher Robin, a Disney movie that is much more kid-oriented. It confused me that those to films were released in two years.

Penny. 12-03-2018 12:18 PM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

We did a little gift shopping, which is not my fav activity. The youngest has a December birthday and then Christmas. It's gotten more and more difficult to shop because they don't need anything, and none of us need more stuff in the house. :lol:

Karen, the Hallmark movie and card writing sounds very relaxing!

Bill, drums in the living room are not for everyone. We also have four guitars, a piano, a djembe drum, and a didgeridoo. I tell him no drumming after 8. It's kind of an instant dance party every time he starts playing. Lol at your "grad school aged couple". I like the notion that advanced degrees are a natural stage in life.

Curly, now I want homemade apple crisp. Your dinner sounds perfect.

Joy, good luck with your 100% food plan day!

karenrn 12-03-2018 07:05 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

Not much to report today. Food on plan. Exercise was a long walk with Otis and some shopping. Tonight is book club and the author will be there. The bad news is the book was not good. Oh my, what to say . . . probably not much. Suzanne said the book was a complete waste of time. I'm interested to hear if she finds anything to say. It was a short book and the quality was about like a short story in a magazine. Tomorrow a new friend is in town from New Jersey and I'm taking her hiking in the Superstitions. Last time we did a short but very tough one. This time we'll do a longer but more moderate hike. It's cold here for us, but actually that's kind of nice for hiking. I'd better get ready for book club.

bethturnaround 12-03-2018 11:27 PM

Hi everyone.

This seems to be my Monday lament--poor choices all weekend and back on track today. I ate junk and sweets to the point of feeling sick--and somehow just ate more when I started feeling a bit better.

I'm going to do 5 products Mon-Thu this week--and work on making acceptable, rather than horrible, weekend choices.

--Beth

BillBlueEyes 12-04-2018 06:49 AM

Tuesday - Crazy Horse, Oglala Lakota Chief, born (~1841, Rapid City, SD)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had to admit that my coughing was a distraction to my classmates and abandoned my class on the brain. Ouch! Disappointed, but felt that it was the right thing. I came home and slept for a while. Sleeping is a sure sign to me that I've got a bug of some sort. My bugs like to sleep a lot, LOL.

Dinner was pork chops with applesauce and grilled Brussels Sprouts. It's a go-to meal around here; we have it at least once a month. All the Thanksgiving apple pie is gone. The pumpkin pie is likewise gone. It's easier to finish dinner without thinking about desserts. On a positive note, a small amount of leftover pie lasted a long time. CREDIT moi for not just snarfing it down in a few days.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the Goodbye Christopher Robin tip; will have to see that.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for having to listen to the author when you didn't feel the book was good. I'd much rather hike in the cold than in the hot.

curlyjax - Had to google Farro - maybe I've never had it. The DGD isn't into Winnie the Pooh yet; fun to be reminded that Pooh is in our future.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Ouch for a tough weekend. Kudos for making your Mon-Thurs plan.

Penny. - Ouch for a December birthday. My friend with such traded birthdays with an aunt; she's held her birthday party in February ever since.

Readers -
Quote:

If you can't easily take a moderate
to brisk walk after a meal, it means you've
eaten too much and
you might have an
unrealistic definition of fullness

gardenerjoy 12-04-2018 09:48 AM

Still not finding the willingness to improve my eating in ways that will improve the inflammation symptoms that I'm experiencing. And still not finding the time to do the things that might improve the willingness. I hate posting that here every day, but the posting is what's holding the space open. Y'all give me confidence that I will get there, it's just going to take a bit longer than I want.

Today is structured in a way that may make it easier to implement the plan that I wrote.

Yesterday's summary
Made food plan: 100%
Implemented food plan: 60%
Exercise: +25, 90/1000 minutes for December