Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #46  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Snacks went haywire yesterday. I think I'm going to try eating by the clock today. I've recently been eating lunch early and my afternoon snack early, and then wondering why I'm hungry before supper. Hunger is not an emergency so I can wait until my usual times -- times that I know from long experience work best for me.

Yesterday's summary
Made food plan: 100%
Implemented food plan: 60%
Exercise: +30, 235/1000 minutes for December

Penny: yeah. I'm having a hard time "grading" the extra things. It's easy for the parts where I ate something different from what I wrote down, but when I eat more than I wrote down, I'm not quite sure how to count it. Still, it is useful, even on a very bad day to give myself credit for the planned breakfast or the planned salad. That's a good foundation to build on.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #47  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Today I'll be lazy, recovering from my work weekend.

Bill, credit for the cold walk.

Maryann, the trip sounds like it was a good time. Kudos for getting right back to controlled eating.

Curly, that is good news your brother will be with your parents over Christmas.

Joy, if it's working for you that is great. We have to claw our way back on plan with whatever individualized plan is going to crack through our own brand of disordered eating.

Waving at Beth and Karen.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #48  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

The past three days have been a bit difficult food wise, but now they're over. We were out to dinner two nights and then a party yesterday. The party was the most difficult because I know the food is always delicious. I decided to enjoy it and I did, but not too crazy on the portions. Besides that I missed lunch entirely because I was at a cookie decorating class where I did not have a cookie. I will say I had two of my cookies Saturday night and a piece of cheesecake that I made for the party yesterday. Most of the cookies I made are now out of the house after delivering five trays at the Christmas party and three trays this morning. I also got my Christmas cards in the mail and a package off to MIL this morning. I have a food plan in place for the day. Unfortunately exercise will be limited to a couple of dog walks and housework, because that's what needs to get done today. The baby is holding his own and his parents went to their own home 100 miles away last night to regroup and get clothes. I figure that is a good sign that they felt comfortable to go that far.

Penny I figure weight holding is a good thing this time of the year.
GardenerJoy I know the gal I am listening to on podcasts lately seems to favor eating when you're hungry, not by the clock, but by the clock seems to work pretty well for me most of the time.
Curlyjax It's so hard when our parents health is failing. Do you just have the one brother? Does he live nearer to your parents than you do? Good job on leaving the cookies alone at church.
Bill That sounds like a very cold walk although I know having the proper clothing on makes all the difference.
Maryann Many of my friends have their hair with the natural color. The grey in mine is mostly at the part line and not much grey other places. My Mom got a very pretty silvery grey quite young and my Dad never did. I think I'm following him, but
thank goodness I'm not bald. DS's Christmas event sounds very fun. I really do love being around young people, or at least well mannered ones like you describe.
Waving to Beth.

Everybody have a great start to the week.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #49  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

I broke my three day eat mindlessly streak with an on plan day. It was hard. My BFF has major eating issues herself so talking to her wasn’t as helpful as I’d hoped. That’s good to know. I think I wanted her to be firm with me and she instead was accepting.

I’m still in size 12 jeans but won’t be if I keep undoing my hard work. But today was OP. And tomorrow will be. And I’ll go from there.

Curlyjax, I’m sorry about your mom

—Beth
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - 102 Mayflower Pilgrims and about 30 crew land at Plymouth Rock, MA (1620)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - During our last class on the brain, we attacked consciousness. It's a challenge to talk about consciousness without dropping back into the body/spirit split or into a little homunculus running the show. I hadn't internalized the notion that we lose consciousness when we fall asleep - however obvious, I just didn't associate sleep with being in a coma. Feel safe; we didn't solve the problem. We did have to face that folks looking at it have to invent some far out hypothesis such as Everything has Consciousness. This obviously creates a problem for those vegetarians who say that they never eat anything with consciousness. Oh, Well.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. During a long evening meeting I had more apple cider than I'd planned. I justified it because the offered alternative was eggnog - one of the world's best and most caloric concoctions.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good luck with your by-the-clock plan today.

Karen (karenrn) - Great that the cookies are out of the house. That was a lot of cookies.

curlyjax - LOL at the endless task of trying to get a Christmas tree straight. We have convenient windows behind ours so it gets firmly tied with a wire - a procedure developed when our Australian Shepard was alive.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Kudos for an on-plan day. Jeans are a very motivating goal.

Penny. - Yes, being lazy is an acceptable reward for a long work weekend.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change Your Definition of Full

Break the Connection

Do the following: . . .
  • Respond to your sabotaging thoughts. When you've finished what you planned to eat, you might think, Oh, I really want to eat more. If so, tell yourself, No, I'm normally full ... I want to be thinner, so I'm going to stop eating now.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 159.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Yesterday was preplanned. Credit. Variations were all reasonable. Stretches - check. Teaching cup weaving to fourth graders should burn some extra calories. A few more strict days will hopefully erase last weekend.

Karen: can’t wait to retire and take cookie decorating classes. I love that stuff.

Penny: I can imagine it would be difficult to work weekends when everyone else is off. Do you mind me asking what kind of work you do?

Last edited by maryann; 12-11-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #52  

Good morning coaches,

I followed the food plan yesterday, but I know portion sizes at dinner were a little too large. I'll work on that today. I took Otis for a long walk this morning and that will be it for exercise. I'm meeting a friend for a movie at noonish. We're going to see The Favorite. I would have to say I'm not that anxious to see it after reading a few reviews. I'm afraid my friend has already seen Green Book, which I would rather see.

Maryann I have taken a few cooking classes, but hadn't ever taken cookie decorating. It was really fun and they turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. The only problem is that those I give treats to would probably rather not have cookies with quite so much frosting on them. They also are quite time consuming. I just put one cookie on top of some of the trays, more like a decoration. I might go again though, just for fun.
Bill Your class on the brain sounds very interesting. Lately what I most think about the brain is that I want to do most everything I can to make sure mine continues working for as long as possible.
Beth Sometimes I need to tell my husband what I want to hear from him so he can give me the appropriate response. I'm sure you are going to figure out a plan that is going to work for you as you transition from your diet to regular food.
Penny Are you feeling rested up?
GardenerJoy Is eating by the clock better?

I continue to think my biggest problem is boredom eating. I am home quite a lot, which I actually like, but I need to keep myself busier. I have plenty of things to do so maybe I need to just start making some lists and get going on them. You all have a great
day!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #53  
Green Tomatoes

Eating by the clock was better! I'll try it again today.

Yesterday's summary
Implemented food plan: 80%
Exercise: +30, 265/1000 minutes for December
Old 12-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #54  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, day 180 on plan, and weight is still the same. Every 30 days I do the math and evaluate my progress. Sigh, it is going slowly.

Beth, kudos for reeling it in again.

Bill, cider does seem like the sensible choice.

Joy, Good job with your 80% on plan day!

Maryann, I'm a home health nurse, and have always worked Fridays and weekends to avoid daycare. I don't really need daycare now but still like the weekends.

Karen, a cookie decorating class does sound like a lot of fun. Your comment about preferring light icing reminds me how the kids would go crazy piling their butter cookies with icing but then prefer all the lightly iced ones I made. I was left with very few to eat, which worked out. Lol

Last edited by Penny.; 12-11-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #55  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

Heading to my evening weight loss class--I don't even remember what today's topic is, but I'm keeping on. Staying with 5 products today has been pretty easy (I've had 3 and will have 2 more). I wondered if posting earlier would make my evening feel more settled, so I'm trying it.

I read my "reap the benefits" cards today, so credit for that.

Exercise has been moving boxes out of my office closet into the attic--we're getting carpet put in tomorrow morning so I'm trying to get as much as I can out of the room--the desks will be hard enough that they don't need to deal with things DH and I can easily move.

Have a great night!

--Beth
Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #56  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Joseph Pulitzer begins publishing "St Louis Dispatch" (1878)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Wonderful long evening event with old friends celebrating the work we did years ago. There were walking appetizers; I sorta limited myself but grabbed the lamb chops as if I'd never had them before. I resisted a rice concoction that was getting rave reviews. Saw some friends that I hadn't seen in decades. The best part was that the parking garage was rather full but I got a spot on the first floor reserved for charging electric vehicles. So, I not only had a neat evening, but my car got some FREE electricity while it was happening. (I parked next to a Tesla SUV who was annoyed that he hadn't brought his charging cord to get his FREE electricity, LOL.)

Eating was otherwise OKish. An individual sized pineapple upside down cake was presented as dessert; I had two bites and decided to practice leaving food on my plate. It's still a challenge for me to leave food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for clocks.

maryann - Strikes me that doing anything around fourth graders would burn extra calories.

Karen (karenrn) - I share your desire to keep the old brain working.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Love "reap the benefits" as a card.

Penny. - Going slowly is good. We read the DGD "The Tortoise and the Hare" nearly every week. She loves it because I always bet on the hare and she always wins because she bets on the tortoise.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change Your Definition of Full

Break the Connection

Do the following: . . .
  • If you feel anxious, remind yourself that hunger is not an emergency. Remember, you can tolerate the feeling - you proved this to yourself on Day 12. Hunger will come and go, and you certainly can wait to eat until your next scheduled snack or meal - there's always another coming.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 159.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Oops, I thought I posted yesterday. I guess I need to keep my mind active too The Mind Diet is worth checking into, per a nutritionist I know- and you can drink red wine on it!
yesterday was our agency lunch. I had a plan to eat 2 sweet things but went way overboard. fortunately nothing is planned for today so I can keep on track.
I can't believe how excited I was to see salad mixes at the store again so I can get back to bringing salads to work.
Credit for doing weights on Monday and bike for hip. Today I really need to get back to the FAFSA, and then reward myself with a brief shopping stint, I really need more than one pair of jeans that fit.
Karen- my older brother lives in DC and they are in NY state, but he can fly there. He has health issues of his own due to being overweight but can still travel. My younger brother is developmentally delayed and lives in a group home near my folks. I am so impressed you took a cookie decorating class without eating cookies!! you have a lot of eating challenges but always handle them well.
Bill- individual size stuff is tough, good for you!
Beth- moving things is good exercise for sure, and productive to boot.
Penny- you have done so well, but I know its frustrating to feel like things aren't continuing to progress.
Joy- schedules can keep one on track for sure.
Maryann- Cup weaving looks fun. 4th grade is a good age for sure.

Last edited by curlyjax; 12-12-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #58  
Green Tomatoes

I still had some out-of-control snacking going on yesterday. But all of that is out of the house, now, so I hope to do better today.

The trickiest part of today is I have a meeting at 11:30 and one at 1:00 and neither are lunch meetings! The plan is to have a salad with the second meeting, but that's pretty late for me. Reminding myself that hunger is not an emergency!

Yesterday's summary
Implemented food plan: 70%
Exercise: +40, 305/1000 minutes for December
Old 12-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #59  

Good morning coaches,

Just got back from a nice walk with Otis. It is cool (46) clear and beautiful here. The highs will be in the high 69's and very low 70's for the next 10 days. Just perfect in my book. Well, I didn't do well with the cookies last night. I had two of them and dh also had two. I need to get the remainder out of the house pronto. The problem is most of dh's co-workers are out of town for another day or so. I guess I'll wrap them up tight and put them in the freezer, which isn't out of the house, but better. Right now I have some of them in the refer and see them every time I open the door. I've written out my food plan again today and I've just got to follow it. I don't want to gain weight over the holidays. I did some reading on a FB group about the John Muir Trail which I plan to do some of this summer. I need to remember what my real goals are and how much easier they will be to accomplish if I have a little less weight on me rather than a little more.

GardenerJoy I hear you about having the food out of the house. Hopefully that is me and soon.
CurlyJax Darn you spoke too soon about my will power with the cookies. Here's to a fresh start. Good for you getting the exercise in.
Bill I think get togethers with former co-workers are just great. I'm impressed about your leaving some of the pineapple upside down cake. It's been a long time since I've had one and I love anything with brown sugar.
Beth It sounds like you're getting your strength training using boxes.
Penny 180 days on plan is very good. The one thing about losing slowly is that you will be a pro at maintenance when you get there. Are you getting close to your goal?

Okay I'm going to get up right now and package up the cookies as best I can. I am going to make a tray for my hiking buddy, my neighbor and another gal and wrap them up tight and the remainder will be for dh's co-workers. No more for us, period the end.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #60  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still holding. It's been a week now and I'm ready for another drop.

Beth, enjoy the fresh new carpet install today!

Bill, it sounds like it was a great evening. Leaving food on the plate always deserves credit.

Curly, good luck getting the FAFSA stuff completed today.

Karen, of course two cookies doesn't sound so bad to me but good luck with your cookie avoidance goals today.

Joy, credit for another high percentage on plan day!
Closed Thread