Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #31  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I did well with my food yesterday even though it was lunch and dinner out. I had two very small pieces of pizza with some salad at lunch and three street tacos (small) at dinner and no alcohol at either meal. I drank a couple of Diet Pepsis at dinner which didn't help when it was time to go to sleep. My brother in law called at close to midnight to let us know our niece was delivering her baby 100 miles from home by emergency c-section in Vancouver WA. She and her Mom were shopping in Portland, OR and she went into labor which they couldn't stop. She wasn't due until March. Baby is1 lb 15 ounces, alive and taken to NICU. I'm not expecting a good outcome, but praying for one. This is the niece and nephew that come down for a week every 6 months, so we are very close to them. I got 2 hours of sleep and feel so fortunate that I don't have anything I have to do today. I'll finish up my baking and catch a nap at some point.

Bill I haven't had sushi in such a long time, but it sounds delicious. We're meeting friend for dinner tonight and I think I'll have the sashimi ahi salad which I've had in the past and is wonderful.
Beth Sounds like you'll be hanging some pictures over the weekend. It's always nice to get some art work on the wall.
Curlyjax Glad you had a good meeting with the financial guy. The bigger challenge is to not eat any cookies today, but that is the plan.

Waving to Penny, Maryann and Joy.

I guess I may as well get up and get going so I can take a nap sooner.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #32  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, including cardio dance class, and weight is holding.

Beth, credit for being so good at the restaurant!

Bill, I guess my super power is being able to overeat on sushi. Lol

Karen, that's so scary about your niece! I hope the baby pulls through.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #33  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I guessed wrong about DH's whims, but my choices were good even at the points where they weren't the planned ones. This feels like real progress.

Yesterday's summary
Made food plan: 100%
Implemented food plan: 70%
Exercise: +25, 160/1000 minutes for December
Old 12-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - John McCrae's poem "In Flanders Fields" published anonymously (1915)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - One more time Handel's Messiah melted my heart as if I'd never heard it before. One more time I trembled when the trumpeter stood up with his long horn - a periodic instrument without valves - to play "And the trumpet shall sound." And I rejoiced each time they repeated that part; I could have lasted all night. One more time I nearly cried through "He was despised ... and rejected ... a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief." There was exercise executing the subway system getting there and back, CREDIT moi. I declare this to be part of Beck's day 40 Enrich Your Life so I can write about it here.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi. The real accomplishment was leaving the supermarket with only the items on my list despite the mounds of Christmas candy being sold. It's easy to avoid evening snacks when out and about.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for "good enough."

maryann - Waving. Wish you'd been with us last night to help us appreciate the Messiah. The soprano, Layla Claire, was melodious beyond description. The alto parts were sung by countertenor Eric Jurenas, a guy - new for me.

Karen (karenrn) - Sending supportive thoughts that your grand niece does well.

Penny. - Cardio dance class is always good.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change Your Definition of Full

Break the Connection

Do the following: . . .
  • If the answer is no, tell yourself, This is what overfullness feels like ... It's not normal ... At my next meal, I'm going to make sure I don't put too much food on my plate.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 159.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had a week of not eating sweets at work, credit. yesterday our special "monk fudge" came -from Gethesmani monastery, who put bourbon in their fudge, and make a fruitcake that is actually good. DS and I enjoy it as our special treat together, and truly is a once a year deal. I told him we have to make it last at least a few days, we'll see
It's not realistic to avoid all sugar this month but I'm trying to pick the things I really want.
I'm trying to get out more and was planning to go out to hear live music by myself at a bar, but I got cold feet. I had asked a few folks but no one could go. Maybe if I go with someone the first time to scope out the scene, I will feel more comfortable doing it myself. I have no problem going out to eat, movies, sit down concert etc myself fortunately.
Karen- i'm so sorry about your niece, that is so scary! Sending supportive thoughts too.
Bill- the Messiah definitely makes me cry, its so beautiful and reminds me of my childhood Christmas. Music is very powerful.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #36  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but no exercise and I think it may be Monday before I get back to exercise. I didn't take a nap yesterday but went to bed really early and got lots of sleep last night. My niece's baby is a little boy and he is doing okay so far. Hiking Suzanne was an OB nurse and said at his weight he could do just fine. I did lots of baking yesterday and again didn't touch it. We went out to dinner with friends and I had the sashimi salad that I planned on. Today I will do more baking, probably the end of it, and then dinner out again. I have a plan for a salad for dinner tonight too. Tomorrow will be the most difficult day because it's an afternoon party with my former co-workers. The food is always excellent and in the past I have most often over eaten. I'm going to change that this year.

Curlyjax I absolutely love fruitcake. My Mom made a delicious one and I used to also, but so many people don't like it and I like it too much.
Bill The Messiah sounds wonderful. It's been a few years since I've gone. Dh and I will go to the Desert Botanical Garden for Las Luminarias in a couple weeks. I went last year with a friend, but she wanted to leave rather quickly (it was cold). I hope dh and I can stay longer. They have different kinds of musical groups throughout the garden.
GardenerJoy Good choices are a good thing. Sometimes it only takes a few to get headed in the right direction.
Penny On plan food and cardio dance class are great!
Waving to Maryann and Beth!
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #37  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Joy, kudos for getting closer with your eating!

Bill, I'm glad you had a nice time watching Handel's Messiah. Living your best life!

Curly, going to the bar alone does seem a little more than the movies. But fun! You can always leave if it's not as fun as you thought.

Karen, I have never even tried fruitcake. You're making me more curious about it than I've ever been.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my plan yesterday, expect that I added some festive adult drinking to celebrate our anniversary. Oops. Should have written that on the plan. Still, it feels like progress that the food I ate matches what I wrote down. We'll see if I can make that happen today for a second day in a row.

Yesterday's summary
Exercise: +30, 190/1000 minutes for December
Old 12-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Admiral Grace Murray Hopper born (1906, NY, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Indulged in a the Van Gogh movie, At Eternity's Gate last night. Hard to be reminded that he didn't sell a single picture in his lifetime. The dialog has him noting that he might be painting for people not born yet. Hats off to his long-suffering brother Theo (rhymes with 'say-oh' in the flick) for supporting him through his several passes into asylums. We have a print hanging in our bathroom that DW and I both enjoy seeing every day. In my next life I'll own an original of Sunflowers.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi. Vegetarian even. That just reminded me that it was recalled at the funeral of President H. W. Bush that he hated broccoli. What a waste.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy Anniversary to you and your DH - may there be many more.

Karen (karenrn) - Las Luminarias must be a visual delight. Mexican traditions don't make it all the way up here. Continue to hope for your grandnephew.

curlyjax - LOL at "monk fudge" with its bourbon. But if it's from Gethsemane Monastery, it's a pious act to consume.

Penny. - Can't do better than on plan.

Readers -
Quote:

Break the Connection

• Every time you'd like to overeat but don't, give yourself credit. You might say, for example, It's great that I'm exercising my resistance muscle.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #40  

Yesterday was tough. My mom has cancer and is doing okay at home but sleeping a lot etc. My dad is 87 and doing a great job being a caregiver but its bit of a role reversal. They are a good 5 hours away so I really can't get down there much. They still have quite a bit of support from friends etc although they have outlived some of their best friends. I got off the phone with my dad and just cried. This time of the year is really tough for many folks I know. Anyhow the sun is shining, and I'm going for a walk with a friend after church so that will be good. I have a nutritious meal planned for tonight and my portion of the fudge is gone
Karen- so glad to hear your friends words about the baby. The luminaries sounds wonderful!
Joy- happy anniversary! A little festive adult drinking is good for you!
Penny- you are doing great in your consistency! Does your family make a lot of cookies etc for the holidays or can you avoid that?
Bill- Movie sounds good. In my next life I'll own Renoir's Dancing at Bougival which reminds me of an old boyfriend
Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #41  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's mid-day plans fell apart. My lunch choice was better than I what I wrote down and my afternoon snack choice was worse. Still feels like I'm making progress, though, so that's good.

Yesterday's summary
Exercise: +15, 205/1000 minutes for December

curlyjax: sorry about your mom -- you and your family are dealing with a lot. I hope you continue to find our threads a good place to share, vent, and think things through.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #42  

Mornin'! Yesterday was on plan, weight is holding. I'm just getting through my long work weekend.

Curly, that's rough about your parents. I'm sorry you had a hard day. We haven't done very much cookie baking yet this year. I don't usually have much of a problem with sweets. Breads and fats are my weakness.

Bill, credit for the good eating day. I love Van Gogh!

Joy, you're making progress! What percentage on plan is it if I do good all day but then spend 15 minutes eating 3000 calories? That sounds like something I might do.

Last edited by Penny.; 12-09-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Morning to all.

Last night was the Renaissance Fair out in by DS high school. It was touching to see a couple of hundred bright eyed, well mannered, beautiful teens singing, playing, acting and dancing. Great Xmas event. It was the end of a two day eating adventure for me. I spent the night at a hotel with college buddies. We shop, visit and eat. Super credit for getting on scale. I was .2 away from the 60s and I was really grateful. I felt like God gave me a gift. Now I need to get back to tracking in order to edge back down.

I made a decision last year to get back to my natural hair color. I’m there now and was shocked to see a picture of me with gray. It is a pretty gray and I want to practice self acceptance. I’ll turn 55 in a few days and that is the truth of it.

Karen congrats for baking without eating. Fab.

BBE: I will run across my old score of Messiah when I decorate for Christmas today. So grateful for the experience.

We are all brave to hold strong against the sugar mayhem right now.

Last edited by maryann; 12-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:05 AM   #44  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - UN General Assembly adopts the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, despite temps below 30 degrees F. It was good to remember that I've got clothes that counter cold. My desire to take the car because of the cold was just a Sabotaging Thought. It was brisk, indeed.

Dinner was leftovers of which I served myself sane portions, CREDIT moi. Leftovers can be a challenge for me because it feels like dishing out of an infinitely large bowl.

The grand event of the day was the arrival of (yet another) meteorite from the Sikhote-Alin Mountains in Siberian that struck in 1947. This one will be DW's Christmas gift to me. The only good news is that meteorites that I can afford are small - this one about three ounces. It's time to worry when I drool over those weighed in kilograms that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for making a good lunch choice. Plans have a problem making it through a full day.

maryann - I love examples of teens at their best. Also love the notion of doing natural hair color.

curlyjax - Supporting your parents from five hours away is certainly a stressful situation. Wish you all well handing this part of your parent's life. I assume that you drop by the Boston Museum of Fine Arts periodically to view your Renoir's Dance at Bougival; is there a happier women in a painting anywhere?

Penny. - Good news that you weight is holding - you must be doing something right.

Readers -
Quote:

Break the Connection

• If you're triggered to overeat, remove the triggers. For example, if you're serving yourself a family-style meal, move the serving dishes to the side of the table away from you after everyone has taken portions. If someone serves you too much food, move the extra amounts to the side of your plate. Get another family member to put away leftovers, as well as clear and scrape the dishes.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #45  

I talked to my older brother and he will be with our parents for a week at Christmas so that will be good, since i am not making it down with the kids.It is nice to have a sibling to share this with, and he's great for my dad to vent to etc.I attended a meeting at church yesterday, brought my bagel and did not touch the cookies, credit. I did go for a walk with my friend and have two tiny cookies there. We had a healthy dinner and I actually did some tidying up for about 30 minutes so I felt pleased.
DS and I tried to straighten the Christmas tree again and this morning it appears to be leaning again a bit, but as long as it doesn't fall I think I will just let it go at this point!!
Bill- yes, I love to visit that painting, and the John Singer Sargent ones as well.
Maryann- My hair has been salt and pepper for awhile and i really like it. I think it can look better than colored hair on some people, it really depends on the face. The fair sounds lovely.
Closed Thread