3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/316033-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-october-2018-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

bethturnaround 10-12-2018 12:22 AM

Food was fine until dinner and evening. Somehow I felt I deserved to snack on my birthday? How does that even make sense?

We're pretty close to being ready for the move--tomorrow evening we'll take furniture apart

G'night all

--Beth

BillBlueEyes 10-12-2018 07:05 AM

Friday - Children's rhyme "Three Blind Mice" published (1609, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got ready for a planned walk and . . . then bailed because the rain hadn't really stopped. In the olden days - like two years ago - I'd walk in the rain as if I wouldn't melt. I did make it out in the evening to a showing of the movie N!ai the Story of a !Kung Woman followed by a discussion by a panel of folks who knew the late John Marshall who broke ground in film making with sympathetic portrayals of groups without the heavy voice-over to set the tone. The !Kung, like many small groups, have had a rough transition from a free range people to their current incarceration on a reservation in now Namibia. Another whole world I know nothing about. (I felt a little better when one of the esteemed speakers also couldn't pronounce the click '!' in !Kung nor any of its other sounds including ǂ which my geek can't get past pronouncing "not equal.")

Eating was on plan until the reception after the movie. I didn't stuff myself, but I did have more high-end prosciutto on tiny slices of good bread. Perhaps I'll take a minor CREDIT moi for skipping the cheeses and crackers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I'm a believer in frequent visits to the dental hygienist. I do four trips a year. I still get the "Floss better" lecture but it's not as bad each time.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for having a young hiking companion to keep you moving.

curlyjax - Neat that you can add a sausage for your DS to the meal you need. Yay for a movable hip.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Happy Moving Day - an oxymoron to be sure.

Penny. - LOL at your Bert and Ernie sleeping arrangement. Congrats for raising kids flexible enough to swap rooms while under construction.

Readers -
Quote:

day 15 Monitor Your Eating

Next, do the following: . . .

Monitor your eating immediately after finishing each meal and snack by noting what you ate on your food plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 141.

curlyjax 10-12-2018 07:38 AM

Quick wave coaches. I did make myself clean up a bit for an hour last night, and then when I watched tv I sorted and rolled some coins so I felt pleased that I did get some things done last night. Tomorrow I am helping out at our church fundraiser selling pies which is tiring but fun. i am going to let myself eat one piece of pecan which is definitely a rare treat, and then buy something like pineapple pie for my son that i can stay out of. And no fudge!!I have to get to work earlier so i'm off to do my stretches. happy friday all!

Penny. 10-12-2018 09:28 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, weight stalled. I'm up early to start my three day work weekend.

Beth, Happy birthday!!!! and moving day. Wow! Big week.

Curly, I've never heard of pineapple pie (upside down cake, for sure). It sounds interesting! Kudos for getting stuff done.

Bill, super interesting on the symbols for the clicks. I want to see that film! I hope it's accessible.

Karen, credit for the on plan day! I have company coming over Halloween and hope I can be good.

karenrn 10-12-2018 12:55 PM

Good morning coaches,

Just got home from hiking Pinnacle Peak. Food remained on plan yesterday and no beer. The weather is cloudy and a cool 69 degrees, but no rain. Later today we're going to take Otis to the doggy daycare and see the movie Free Solo, a documentary about Alex Honnold who completed the first free solo climb of El Capitan at Yosemite. My niece hasn't been to Yosemite and I hope they will show some of the beautiful scenery in the movie. We'll also do a little shopping at the mall, or at least some looking. The guys will be golfing this afternoon. I'll get back to personals after the company leaves next week, if not before. Have a great weekend!

gardenerjoy 10-12-2018 02:08 PM

In the middle of a busy day, but I didn't want to skip posting! Hi all!

Daily weighing streak: 9, Weigh-in: -0.05 kgs, Exercise: +25, 365/1200 minutes for October

BillBlueEyes 10-13-2018 06:34 AM

Saturday - Nero succeeds Claudius as Roman Emperor (54 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough day. My to-do list didn't decrease as much as I wish it had. I did complete the big item: I uploaded, for the second time, a nine page notarized request to withdraw my retirement funds for the year. It was the second time because the first set that I sent had a box checked incorrectly. "So, just uncheck it since it's clearly a mistake contradicted by the next page." "Can't do, you have to fill in a new set and get it notarized again." All of this because their fully automated system works in their favor at my expense. The right thing is to be grateful that I have sufficient funds to retire that only require hoop-jumping-through to get into my bank. CREDIT moi for doing what I needed to do.

Update on Gas explosions of Sept 13, 2018 in Merrimack Valley, Massachusetts: The investigation continues, but it's now known that the new pipe construction had turned off the gas to a stretch of pipe that was being abandoned. Unfortunately, that stretch of pipe contained a pressure sensor that was still connected to the system. It detected the pressure drop and frantically signaled to increase pressure - which did happen in the newly laid pipe connected to the homes. Big Ouch! The current prognosis is that they're on track for their Nov 19th date for all piping ready. The longest delay is getting gas company techs into each house to check for damaged appliances and working detectors before the house can be reconnected.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hi back! Busy is good.

Karen (karenrn) - Haven't seen the movie Free Solo - I cringe at the thought of free climbing vertical rock face. Kudos for sticking to your plan to match your niece with avoided alcohol.

curlyjax - Neat to allow yourself a treat of pecan pie - but to buy a pie you don't like for your DS.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Waving toward your new home where, presumably, you're happily sleeping under stacks of boxes.

Penny. - On plan is always good.

Readers -
Quote:

Give yourself credit every single time you stick to your plan. Say to yourself, That's good! I ate what I was supposed to, and I'm taking the time to check it off.

gardenerjoy 10-13-2018 11:00 AM

I planned three salads for today -- we'll see if I can pull that off!

Daily weighing streak: 10, Weigh-in: +0.3 kgs, Exercise: +40, 405/1200 minutes for October

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the gas explosion news update. I hope every gas company in the world is re-writing their manuals and checklists today. We got cold weather this week, so I hope they can meet that November deadline -- that's already a long time to wait for adequate heat.

Penny. 10-13-2018 11:04 AM

Good morning!

Food was on plan, weight stalled, and I need to get the next food prepared. Curry beef, I think.

Have a nice day, everyone!

BillBlueEyes 10-14-2018 05:39 AM

Sunday - e. e. cummings, american poet, born (1894, Cambridge, MA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping for a haircut. Wait was only four minutes - a good start. I met the usual observation that it had been too long since I'd been there. Apparently grown men are supposed to remember to get their hair cut more often than I remember. As we were finishing, a father sat in the next chair hauling a screaming three-year-old boy. The little guy was terrified. He really didn't want a haircut. His mother could be seen hiding behind a large plant. When I was leaving, she told me, "If he could see me he'd scream even louder." I laughed and told her I wasn't going to call the police. When I was three-quarters the way home, I remembered my umbrella. Ouch! I briefly entertained walking the rest of the way home so I could drive back to get it. Then I had the brilliant thought that walking was good so this was just an opportunity. I turned around and walked back to retrieve it. On the way I passed the father, mother, and now smiling boy. "See, you don't have to call the police," the father laughed.

Eating included snacks - just because. Today I'll make a stronger effort to constrain them. Last night we went to the current movie BlacKkKlansman directed by Spike Lee. I wasn't prepared for its emotional impact possibly thinking that it'd be funny that a black man conned the KKK. It wasn't funny; it was pure Spike Lee. Glad we went. My education about my beloved country continues to dribble in by such movies.

Major achievement of the day was to insert my credit card into the machine while exiting the parking lot only once; a credit card can go in only four different ways and my history for trying multiple ways isn't pretty. I'll just chalk it up to my brain improving, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - A hat trick of salads!

Penny. - Curry beef sounds good to me. Yay for the spices from India.

Readers -
Quote:

Respond to sabotaging thoughts if you eat something you shouldn't. If you think, Why did I eat that? I didn't really even want to. . . I'm an idiot, counter it in a helpful way, such as, Okay, I ate something I hadn't planned ... It isn't that big a deal ... I can get back on track right this minute, and it's really good that I wrote it down.

curlyjax 10-14-2018 08:13 AM

I did not do as well as planned yesterday, i ended up with 3 slices (one for today) and fudge, which is a tradition with my son. It was rainy and cold so I don't think our church raised as much money as usual, but we did go through a lot of pies.
Last night I bought a dehumidifier. Home Depot had 11 in stock per the internet but when the salesman couldn't find the one I wanted, he offered me a larger one for the same price, saving 80.00. It pays to ask, and to be polite. It is now residing in my car until my muscle man comes home from his sleepover:)
Beth- happy belated birthday! a new house is a great birthday present.
Bill- thanks for the update on the gas explosion. I turned the heat on this morning for the first time and am quite grateful for it.

gardenerjoy 10-14-2018 10:07 AM

The cold distracted me from weighing. I made it to day 10! We'll see if I can get farther with the next streak.

Yesterday didn't go as planned and I only ate one salad. Aiming for three again today.

Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +35, 440/1200 minutes for October

Penny. 10-14-2018 11:38 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with Subway for lunch. I haven't had that for a long time and it tasted weird to me, like not food. Plastic food. Weight is up three pounds from my low.

Bill, kudos for the extra walk back for the umbrella.

Curly, awesome that you ended up with a better dehumidifier!

Joy, good luck with your salad goal!

BillBlueEyes 10-15-2018 06:36 AM

Monday - White Cane Safety Day (since 1964)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, noting that the leaves of the sugar maple trees are now bright red. Spotted an unusual plant that I'd never noticed; DW pointed out that it was a succulent gaining popularity. Succulents are the new plants to fill small front yards and then ignore as they take care of themselves.

Real exercise was breaking down the vegetable garden in the common area of the nearby park. At its end, it looks pretty ragged. The dead tomato plants are ghostly inside their circular wire cages. All the wires and twine that had held up vines now hold dangling dead remnants. I was having a difficult time getting a one-foot stepping-plank out of the dirt. Finally pulled it up . . . along with the kale plant that had decided to grow over it. Ooops. One broken kale plant. "You've killed our winter veggies," DW laughed at me. We now have to eat kale for a week to quickly consume it. It's had to get quality assistant gardener help these days, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, this arriving cold requires an adjustment.

curlyjax - Yay for a bargain on that humidifier. A good bargain makes my heart soar. Thanks for the reminder, "It pays to ask, and to be polite."

Penny. - LOL at your description of Subway, "like not food. Plastic food." Ouch for the scale bounce.

Readers -
Quote:

At the end of the day, look at how you marked up you food plan. Give yourself credit for everything you did well. Did you eat anything you hadn't planned? If so, get into problem-solving mode and figure out what you need to do in the future to eliminate this kind of eating. For example, if you get too hungry between meals, perhaps you need to plan heartier meals or to add in a snack. If you eat out of boredom, schedule your time differently. If you need help, call your diet coach.

Follow this sequence every day for a long time to come.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 142.

curlyjax 10-15-2018 07:18 AM

I didn't get any exercise in yesterday other than walking around 2 grocery stores, but I did get a lot of socialization including an unexpected informal dinner invite which was very nice. I was dying for a second piece of pie but I restrained myself since no one else did. Tonight will be lots of picking up, paying bills and hopefully getting the dehumidifier going.
It's definitely colder- I broke down and turned on the heat in the morning.
Bill-succulents that don't require you to do anything sound great! I've let my garden go but there's probably a little kale hidden in there that i should dig out.
Penny- I know what you mean about Subway!
Joy- 3 salads is a lot, do you eat one for breakfast? maybe fruit?
Wave to Karen, Beth and Maryann.