Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - French navigator Jacques Cartier reaches Hochelaga (1535, Montreal)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. A late afternoon party that included sit-down dinner offered many opportunities to stay on my path or to wander. I declared the walking salmon sashimi to be rare and unusual because I've never eaten it as an appetizer. The host who was passing it out, declared that it was acceptable to pick it up with one's fingers. I filled one plate from the buffet - the host went back twice - and thoroughly enjoyed the conversations. Felt that I did it well, given the many opportunities to overeat. It was unusual for me to know most of the folks there. Good way to end the summer.

September glares at me with a crushing schedule of events and things to do - enough to make the option of doing nothing seem attractive, like the days before a major exam in college when reading Time magazine seems like a good idea rather than studying.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on posting 31 days in a row. Glad you conquered your oddly scheduled day.

silverbirch – Neat that you keep changing with the addition of step video.

Beth (bethturnaround) – It's hard to believe that the Lion King just keep charging along with all its wisdom: Ya know, in times like these, my buddy Timon says "You gotta put your behind in the past."

Penny. – Love the notion of your 7 year-old choosing her own books from the mini-library. I'm also fond of the phrase, "cracked the code," for reading. That seems like what it is to me, also.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies
Mindset Techniques

You can take a number of steps to respond to your next craving. The first five steps help you prepare your mindset, and you should use the following every time you have a craving. . . .

3. Don't give yourself a choice. The emotionally painful part about a craving is the struggle you feel. Once you can tell yourself with total conviction, NO CHOICE, and do something else, the craving will diminish. (You'll read more about this on Day 16). It won't go away, though, if you waver or say to yourself, This is so intense, I don't know if I can stand it. Of course, you can sand it! It might be uncomfortable, but you're going to be so proud of yourself!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 130.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

I successfully completed shopping without eating in the store or the car. Yay!

Today, I will have a salad at lunch, even though it means running a meeting while eating. We've decided these first Saturday meetings are meant to be informal and I've taken that to mean that I can call on other people to tell stories while I finish my lunch.

Credits:
  • posted thirty-two days in a row
  • met my August exercise goal
Weigh-in: -0.3 kgs, Exercise: +30, 1205/1200 minutes for August
Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Bill, thanks for keeping this support group rolling and kudos for navigating the social eating while still enjoying yourself.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for shopping and avoiding extra nibbling.

Beth, have a nice time at the met!!!

at curly and silverbirch.

Yesterday was on plan with food, no exercise, and weight is on day nine of plateau. I am down 3.4 pounds for August. Tortoise and the hare.

My intention is to do some exercise today.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:41 PM   #5  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

The Met was wonderful and we're going back on Monday. I think DS is going to come back to NY so he can go to the Met with us on Monday.

Food not so much OP today--breakfast,lunch, snack--right on plan. Dinner--pre dinner drink, sharing DH's birthday dessert, 2 glasses of wine at the comedy club.....way over on calories and over on carbs. However, it is still a fraction of what I would have had previously--I ordered my burger without a bun, only stole 3 of DH's fries, and ordered salad for myself instead of fries. (and of course, didn't go over pre-dinner) However, one's husband doesn't turn 60 very often :-) I could have skipped that last glass of wine,but I did enjoy it :-)

Exercise was good--walking at the Met, a walking tour of Central Park, and then a walk back to our hotel--definitely did a lot of moving.

And credit--DH ate at the continental breakfast--muffins,croissants--all sorts of things I love. I had a shake. I reminded myself "this food does not serve me". It's my new favorite line. I eat food which serves me. That food does not serve me.

Tomorrow we're going to the Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 Memorial. It's interesting that the 9/11 Memorial isn't history to me--it's one of the defining moments and days that we all know what we were doing, how the day went, when we learned what, what we saw.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 09-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The Great Fire of London, which devastates the city, begins (1666)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, was interrupted to chat with a neighbor about non-ethanol gas for our snowblower. Seems that the instructions that came when we bought it were "out of date" according to the guys we just paid to tune it. The corn that's added to gasoline isn't good for small engines. Ethanol free gas is sold for about $8 per quart. Gotta go sort that one out. We were using that what comes from a gas station. Gotta go talk to all the other users of snowblowers to find out what's real. All this is news to me. It was sorta geek-fun to spend a few hours researching which gas stations still sell non-ethanol gas (apparently none).

Another day of no snacks, CREDIT moi, making a long run for me. I did look at the jar of peanuts in the pantry but was dissuaded by the thought of the problems caused by corn in my gasoline. Why would I protect my snowblower from contaminates but stuff them in my body? Perhaps I should think about that for a bit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Super Kudos for giving yourself permission to eat while conducting a meeting. I like the notion of clear priorities.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yep, the MET, Central Park, and back to your hotel sounds like a full day of walking. Happy Birthday to your DH.

Penny. – LOL at "Tortoise and the hare" - so often the case.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies
Mindset Techniques

You can take a number of steps to respond to your next craving. The first five steps help you prepare your mindset, and you should use the following every time you have a craving. . . .

4. Imagine the aftermath of giving in. Go ahead and think about eating the food you're craving. Imagine it in your mouth. How many seconds does it take to eat it? How many seconds do you feel pleasure? Now visualize the rest of the picture - the part of the experience you usually don't think about until it's too late. Picture yourself feeling weak and out of control. See yourself feeling upset, giving up, continuing to eat more and more, feeling worse and worse. Do you start to feel heavier in your body or more heavy-hearted? As you become upset in the image, remind yourself how many times you've given in before, how you promised yourself you wouldn't do it again, and how hopeless you felt.

Now that you've seen the entire picture, which seems better: eating or not eating?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 130.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I haven't been feeling like posting recently so I think I'll use a little template and see whether that helps.

A little report about yesterday. I took the SO to the station and he flew off to the Continent. I collected the DB from the station as he returned from his granny's. It's all change here.
Yesterday's credit: relaxed and read a book.
Yesterday's exercise: none
Yesterday's food: I ate a lot more than usual, possibly because I was alone most of the day and took advantage of being able to do exactly what I wanted. So then I found myself hungry.
Lessons for the future - when you buy the lettuce wash it as soon as you get home.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! DD is delivered to college, phew. It was a brutal packing up process with both of us yelling at each other, but the actual moving in was quite smooth, thanks to the university which has a very organized process. I definitely got exercise by lifting things, and walking back to the parked car 10 minutes away with bins etc that DD couldn't fit into her room. I drove away feeling relieved, and sad my DH wasn't with me.
I'm a little worried about DD as she has health issues and texted me already feeling nauseous. She has a lot more going on than most freshmen. But there is help out there if she will take it. College is much more high tech and complicated these days; I realized i forgot to load money on a card so she could do laundry, and i think that all has to be done with a credit card.
Feeling a little less stressed this morning, and very grateful for the quiet!! More exercise yesterday picking up all the stuff from the move.I'm determined the house is going to get back into decent shape! Today/tomorrow I will start making some food plans. I'm looking into the 5:2 fasting as a possibility.
So great to have a 3 day weekend! Wave to all!
Old 09-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I slept well last night and that gave me motivation to post this morning. Happy Sunday to all.

Curleyjax: Credit for hanging in there as you sent your DD to college. I can imagine it is a very emotional time filled with tiny stressors that add up to big charges. It seems only natural to miss DH as you do.
gardenerjoy: Credit for your intention to post everyday and then following through. I have been reading books on changing brain patterns. It seems action can actually change and build new pathways in the brain. What a great thing.
BBE: Credit for a busy September. I'm at a place now that I want to fill some hours with interesting commitments just to get out of myself. It takes an open mind to keep active.
Penny: Down three pounds is a big deal. I know up three pounds always feel big so the opposite must be true as well.
Silverbirch: Credit for changing posts around to increase motivation.

As for me: I am struggling in many areas EXCEPT for food. I have completely lost my appetite which has never happen to me before. I have a series of medical issues that have become chronic and which are taking a toll on me. My plan is to methodically, to the best of my ability, continue to attend to all of them. Day by day is the only solution. Credit for renew commitment to exercise this September. Small stretches and walks will be the focus.

I changed ticker. I am less than two pounds to goal. For the first time, however, it is not a number that is meaningful. I am much more interested in quality of life. I want to eat healthy and heal. Thanks for letting me post. There are not many places I can really be open about these struggles.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

My lunch went as planned, yesterday -- yay!

We have a quiet holiday weekend planned. I can't seem to get away from making food be a part of it, but I can make that food as healthful as possible and I can plan it so that I don't overdo it. And, I can plan some nonfood activities that improve my well-being, so that's what I'll do!

Credits:
  • posted thirty-three days in a row
  • did yoga this morning, starting a commitment to variety in exercise
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +30, 30/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Wow, everybody checked in! Good morning!

Bill, interesting about the snowblower. I wonder if the newer models have the same requirements. Credit for the continued snack avoidance.

Beth, I like the "it doesn't serve me" line too. I am reading it in the book you recommended.

Curly, credit for getting through the move with your daughter. That is some good adulting.

Maryann, congrats for nearly hitting goal. I'm sorry that it has come with medical issues. Major credit for continuing to check in and plan.

Silverbirch, I fantasize about being home alone for just a few hours! With four homeschooled kids and a husband who can't drive due to epilepsy, it never happens. Credit for checking in and recognising the change as a trigger.

Gardenerjoy, credit for all your days of checking in! Your food plan sounds very reasonable.

Yesteray was my 80th day of eating on plan.

I loaded everyone into the car to go check out "the largest bounce house in the world," and it turned out to be sold out for anymore jumbers. We did a bit of shopping instead and then I came home and spent the rest of the day lazy and enjoying my book. So, no exercise.

Weight is still plateaued today and I was certain it would finally be a drop. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #12  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

We had a wonderful day--hung out with DS and his girlfriend, went on a harbor boat ride, visited the 9/11 Memorial, which to us,is not history, but to our cihldren's children, will be history rather than something we can never forget. Then we had a lovely Mexican dinner. Lots of walking. 3 products and then too much dinner, but my overages this weekend have definitely been in the real of 'reasonable overages' for a vacation--not a 'throw it all to the winds' kind of thing. I usually post my weekly chart on Sunday night but it's too hard to do from DH's laptop--he doesn't have the software I need to put it up on my website so I can link to it. (first world problems). I've done well reading my cards and my book, I've done well posting here (even on vacation), and on recording my weight, sugar, and food. I didn't record any exercise these past few days--but I got lots

One more day in NY--we're spending it at the Met with DS. He is coming back into NYC tomorrow (from NJ) and we'll spend the day together. His girlfriend has made tons of trips to the Met and didn't want to spend another day there--but DS hasn't been and we'll have a great time.

Night all!

--Beth
Old 09-03-2018, 01:58 AM   #13  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Yesterday was fairly quiet. I put together a new light which means the sitting room is now looking very cosy and ready for winter. The old wobbly and broken light is going to the tip. In fact, I'll try to get there today. I also had my first online request for a decluttering quote! The potential client lives some distance away so it might not go anywhere but it's good practice.
  • Yesterday's credit - weighed and measured myself.
  • Yesterday's exercise - flexibility and foot exercises.
  • Yesterday's food - not too bad
  • Lessons for the future - I don't need toast mid-morning. It messes up my lunch. A piece of fruit and some protein would be much better.
Glad to see you all here.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:26 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Labor Day (since 1882, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, with a long series of indications that the summer peak of bloom is coming to an end. I saw adults wearing long pants, but I resisted since there might not be that many weeks remaining to wear shorts.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks. Lunch was a slab tomato sandwich from a homegrown tomato - maybe the world's best meal. Dinner included a tomato and cuke salad with basil - all from our garden. Heaven, it was. It's like a send off from the gods before amagaden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I used to spend each major summer holiday wondering why we hadn't fired up a grill of hot dogs and hamburgers. Then I'd remember that I didn't want a batch of hamburgers and hotdogs. But I have that thought every time.

silverbirch – I've never understood the suggestion that we not wash veggies until preparing them for cooking. Yay for a business nibble; perhaps that client does need to pay the travel cost of at least a first day of getting started.

maryann – Quality of life does seem like a good goal.

curlyjax – Super Congratulations for getting your DD packed and delivered. I wish her well dealing with the huge adjustment to college life.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Kudos that you're staying your path while in New York. I'm so jealous of your multiple days at the MET.

Penny. – Ouch for missing out on "the largest bounce house in the world," I'd like to bring the DGD to that. Kudos for 80 days on plan.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies
Mindset Techniques

5. Remind yourself why you want to learn to withstand cravings. Read your Advantages Response Card. You won't be able to attain the wonderful benefits of losing weight unless you tolerate your cravings. If you continue to give in to them, you'll always be at risk for gaining weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 131.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! More picking up, laundry etc yesterday. Fun was a friend and I seeing the movie "Crazy Rich Asians", a romcom that was fun. There was lots of interesting Chinese food in the movie and I was craving it by the time it was over. So we headed over to a Chinese buffet and ate too much- so today is the day I start getting back into better eating. DS is on board (as long as he still gets things like pizza and tacos too) which will make it easier.

I'm so glad cooler weather is coming, i am ready to be done with the heat.Great time of the year for roasted veggies, casseroles, soups etc. I always feel more energetic in the fall, it feels like the real beginning of the year to me, instead of Jan 1. I have all sorts of projects to deal with, including losing weight.
Penny- wow, you have a lot on your plate!! I didn't know you have 4 kids, i'm super impressed you can get things done at all
Maryann- sorry for the medical issues, they can impact everything. Good for you for addressing it.
Closed Thread