Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #121  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I've been awake for almost 2 hours, but the other gals aren't. This is one of the harder parts of being in a houseful of people. We've been having a good time here in Colorado. Yesterday was a busy day seeing some of Rocky Mountain National Park, 3 short hikes, a walk thru town, out to dinner and a play. It was my birthday and they pretended for half the day that they didn't know. I'm not really sure what perverse pleasure they got out of that, but I didn't say a word.
We don't have any big plans for today, but it looks like there are clear blue skies out there so I'm sure we'll be outside doing something. There is a celebration going on in town for Constitution Day. There are food trucks set up on main street and I have a feeling lunch or dinner might be there. I understand there will be fireworks tonight. The main thing on my mind about now is getting packed up again and heading for home early tomorrow. I don't know if I'll make it in a day as it would be a very long drive. One of the gals here drives from Michigan to South Carolina in a day between her homes, so I guess it's possible to drive that far. I'll just see how it goes and stop if I'm tired. I'm looking forward to being back in my routine and having better control of my food and exercise. I'll post once I get home.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #122  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I forgot to weigh, I think. If I remembered to weigh, I forgot the number!

I'm skipping my normal Saturday activities. I've been going pretty much full tilt since last Saturday. Clearly, I've burned up some resources to the point of not being fully functional. So, I'll do a bit of self-care this weekend.

Credits:
  • weighed zero days in a row (but still tracking it!)
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +40, 820/1200 minutes for September

bethturnaround: The fall-blooming asters are terrific for honey bees -- that's the honey they'll live on for the winter.

BillBlueEyes: The Black Clown is a play that would work well in St. Louis. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #123  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was my 100th day eating within my calorie limit. Weight stalled today, as expected.

My work day was brutally long and I had to do the two meals only to keep within the 8 hour eating window. I felt overly full, and then did feel a little deprived later. Not too bad though, and probably only because dh was cooking the pork ribs and it smelled so good!

Beth, your "not my problem" comment made me laugh! Credit for getting right back into controlled eating.

Bill, kudos for a good eating day. You make me want to get pumpkins too, but mine would rot. I have a friend bringing her 7yo son over from England ao he can experience TorT'ing. I'd better not skimp on the porch decor. Lol

Curly, it is amazing how much junk is sitting around offices to tempt. Someone told me I should take a giant tub of Red Vines home to my kids to get rid of it. I did and everone made a stink, wanting to know where it had gone. Lol! I bought another one and brought it in. Good thing I'm not in the office much for that kind of support for healthy eating.

Karen, happy birthday to you! Enjoy your last day and safe travels home.

Edit to add Joy, who posted at the same time. I hope you get a restful weekend and replenish your resources.

Last edited by Penny.; 09-22-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #124  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today was a busy packing day--no walk, but a lot of moving around!

We did go to our Mensa meeting and the last two times I have eaten too much. This time, I decided I couldn't be trusted to make good choices, so I was bringing a bar and was going to make the choice not to eat the set out food at all. It was a bit hard at first, but I powered through it and feel very proud of myself for not giving in. It was the right decision to just have a bar--and I am pleased that I did it--and pleased that I re-learned that I don't have to eat what everyone else is eating to have a good time.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 09-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #125  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Autumnal Equinox

Diet Coaches/Buddies Attended the (3 yo) DGD's birthday party. Utter chaos. And then some. I did get to see a couple of kids who I hadn't seen since her last party a year ago and enjoy their growth burst. One of the parents is a realtor who answered my question by saying that current housing prices weren't a bubble that would collapse, but were artificially high because there was only 2.1 months of houses in the system when there needs to be about six months in the system for prices to feel balanced. "A correction will come, but it'll be slight, not a collapse." There, you have a prediction from one East Coast realtor. I had my allocated fifteen seconds interaction with the DGD when she opened her gift of dinosaurs which she loved. We only gave her four of the dozen; the others will be given each week when we see her. Apparently, sharing stuff with friends isn't a known trait of three-year olds. Oh Well.

Eating was OK. I had pizza at the birthday party because that's what my DD served. That was my excuse, because no one would have noticed my eating or not eating with so much chaos going on. I called it an early dinner so I was done eating for the evening at 4:30 in the afternoon. That's not best for me, but the world doesn't always turn at my preferred speed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Glad that you're going to slow down for the weekend. You do keep moving.

Karen (karenrn) Loving the adventures you're having. Fireworks in September would be a surprise around here.

curlyjax Oh Yes, candy corn is evil. I don't allow those things in my house since they were a candy of easy handful consumption. I forgot about squirrels going after our pumpkins. They'll do them in.

Beth (bethturnaround) Great that you got enough packing done that you allowed yourself to go out for the evening. Doing a bar instead of the spread of food is worthy of Kudos.

Penny. Super Kudos for your 100th day on your eating plan. The smell of pork ribs cooking would be hard for me.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Looking Ahead

Tomorrow will be your first official weigh-in. You'll step on the scale first thing in the morning and write your weight in your diet notebook. You'll need to refer to the number next week when you weigh again and create a weight-loss graph to help you monitor your progress.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 137.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #126  

Mornin'

One more day of only two meals and then I can get back to my preferred three smaller meals. It's just too hard to get the timing right with my work day. Weight was down again today though, which was unexpected.

Speaking of "not my problem", I've been making a standard menu of veg, brown rice, and some kind of meat for the last several months. Sometimes I throw in a mac n cheese. Otherwise, that's the extent of my cooking. The kids have suddenly become quite adept at making various things on their own.

Only the 7yo continues to be a frustration because she is an ultra picky eater. She doesn't like vegetables, meat, or rice, but also doesn't like usual kid favs like mac n cheese or other pasta. She wants to live on cereal, cinnamon toast or any sugar that can be brought in. I thought she'd grow out of it by now.

I'm not sure what to do so I vacillate between making her toast lovingly and getting irritated and telling her she needs to start eating the food I make (which gets me nowhere). Any ideas are welcome! Lol

Beth, that social eating is so tricky! I got a drink in the bar because I felt the pressure. Kudos for sticking to plan. It must get easier, I'd think.

Bill, kudos for sticking to plan around the pizza variable.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

I designated yesterday as a recovery day, but it turned into more of a sick day. I'm still not sure if it was tummy problems or congestion problems that impacted my balance. Or, maybe a recovery day is a bad idea and I should just keep doing my normal stuff even when I'm tired? That's probably not the take-away message from this. If it's true, it means I'm addicted to adrenaline rushes and that's unlikely to be good for me in the long run.

Credits:
  • weighed one day in a row
Weigh-in: -0.5 kgs, Exercise: +15, 835/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #128  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

Busy non stop day today, but with lots of successes. 3 products and dinner. We went out to dinner because we spent all day working at the new house. I made good choices although I ate a few bites too many I think. I was so hungry I ate quickly and wasn't paying attention. However, I ordered well--made really good choices in that way. Ordered a breakfast skillet--but without hash browns. I wanted a pancake--it came with 2--and so I had the server only bring me one. I can't eat it if it isn't there! I didn't get any fruit because 1) I was having the pancake, and 2) I thought there'd be plenty of food without it--and there was. There was bread on the table, and I was super hungry, but instead of bread, I filched two cucumber slices from DH's salad.

I did get up and walk today before going over to the house--I'm glad I did--even though I was physically busy all day, the walk in the woods and around the like is always a great start to a weekend day!

joy: What defines a recovery day? Maybe it really was just truly a sick day?

Penny: I'd worry about the 7 year old because of my personal addiction to carbs. All that stuff is pure sugar--and processed sugar, at that. I know carbs are my particular bugaboo right now--but I'd worry she's setting herself up for insulin resistance--when she's too young too even know what that is. I hope that it gets easier--the social eating when everything is in the middle of the table is what's hardest for me--that and buffets. A plate served at a restaurant is easier since I order before there's any food in front of me!

BillBlueEyes: Happy birthday to DGD!!! Great idea to hand out the dinosaurs in smaller batches. She'll get to savor each one.

G'night all!

--Beth

Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies A group of friends (without DW) who meet four times a year came to my house yesterday. Usually we have a semi-public graciously furnished room that we're allowed to use that could hold dozens. We demonstrated that my living room can almost-comfortably hold the eight who showed up. (DW says that we had more folks at DD's bridal shower four years ago - I wasn't there.) The standard fare is to spend the two hours around the coffee table laden with shared goodies. I added two bowls of mini-carrots in an attempt to help those of us who care about our eating plan. They were mostly consumed. I ate too many roasted, salted almonds as if they'd be lost to civilization if I didn't eat them first. I was pleased that my skills were sufficient to have at the ready: glasses, cans of no-calorie bubbly water, coasters, and a pitcher of ice water. The tradition is to bring finger food, but not all folks get the notion. One friend showed up with a miniature apple pie. All it required of me was to produce, then later clean up a cutting board, a knife, a serving dish, plates, and forks. He was so pleased because he thought it was the perfect addition. I admired the friend who showed up with a tin container of brownies who simply removed the lid when they arrived and then replaced the lid to take home whatever remained. NOTHING was required of the host.

A fun part of the event was providing stuff for the four-year-old who came with her parents. I led her into the dining room where the DGD's toys have taken over. Her face lit up at the two Cabbage Patch dolls, baby bottles, stroller, bed, and blankets. She took care of the two 'babies' for the whole two hours. The Cabbage Patch dolls are 35 years old and look it. They were ugly initially; they're now ugly and uncleanably dirty. They are immediately loved. One is bald, as designed. The other has a tuft of hair on top, as designed. There is no excuse for them being that ugly. I do remember how much effort DW had to make to get them when they were the most popular thing in the world. She didn't buy them, of course, she paid the adoption fee. Yay for marketing. The closest thing I can say to justify writing this here is to take CREDIT moi for meeting my own expectations of being a host.

Despite eating too many almonds, my weight was the same this morning. I weight each Sunday with Monday ... as the backup day when I forget to weigh on Sunday before I have coffee. Even though the weight of a cup of coffee can be calculated, I reject any scale reading that doesn't happen first thing in the morning after a trip to the John.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Ouch for needing recovery - do hope you're soon feeling better.

Beth (bethturnaround) Always a Kudos for ordering well when so many other options are available. And another Kudos for ignoring the bread at the table.

Penny. Yay for teaching your kids how to take care of themselves. My DD spent some number of years eating only hot dogs and spaghetti. The closest thing to being food we could make it was to buy frozen, no-additives hot dogs. Being expensive helped salve our feelings of being failures as parents.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Looking Ahead

Follow these pointers:
  • Try to wear same-weight clothing for all your weigh-ins.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- quick wave. I have another round of either allergies or a mini cold or some wierd hormonal thing.Anyhow its a bummer but pushing through.
Nice weekend with interactions with other adults but down time too, a good mix. Saturday night I was invited to an aqaintance's house for a ladies card night and potluck. It was a small group and very nice, and I recognized one of them from a moms group I was in years ago.
I dreamed about DH that night and am feeling very sad these days off and on. I love the fall crispness but the shorter days etc are a bummer.
Penny- I feel you on the picky eater thing! I don't have good advice, but eventually they all grow out of it! Although my DD is still somewhat picky
Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #131  
Green Tomatoes

I felt better yesterday, but was still cautious with my food. I met my goal of losing a kilogram in September, but I'm not fully counting on that number sticking around as I have a more normal day today.

Credits:
  • weighed two days in a row
Weigh-in: -0.3 kgs, Exercise: +40, 875/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #132  

Good morning!

So tired after my three day work weekend. Sleep was not good, so that played into it. Eating went well, weight is holding the same today.

Thank you all for the picky eater comments. My three older kids all eventually came around. She just seems to be stuck and taking longer than I remember the others taking.

Beth, it must be exciting to be in your new house, getting things ready! Kudos for navigating the restaurant with restraint.

Bill, I enjoyed reading your post. Loved the bit about the apple pie. LOL!

Curly, sending some gentle hugs to lift your spirits. Those dreams must be bitter sweet. A ladies game night sounds fun!

Joy, I'm glad you are starting to feel better. Credit for weighing and losing!

Last edited by Penny.; 09-24-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 AM   #133  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

Didn't do quite as well at dinner tonight but could have been much worse. Once I have one piece of bread I want to eat nothing but bread for the rest of the evening. It's amazing how addictive it is for me. So don't eat the first piece--the solution seems as if it'd be so easy.

Exercise was taking out ugly '80s medicine chests and light fixtures, unloading the car of garage stuff we packed up, and 2 hours of Home Depot browsing. (Date Night!)

G'night all,

--Beth
Old 09-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - William Faulkner born (1897, New Albany, Mississippi)

Diet Coaches/Buddies It was an overbooked day with four items on my calendar. It wasn't that long ago that that wouldn't have seemed so full. Breakfast was at a restaurant with an old friend whose wife now lives in an locked wing of an assisted living facility. This aging business doesn't go easily for every one of us. Her major contact with my friend is listening to music together. He can tell by her smile that she fully comprehends what she's hearing. It's a major step that she can say "jazz" when she wants the music switched from an opera to her favorite jazz performers. Many of us will take that path. Our tradition of long standing is to have croissants together when we have breakfast, which I did. They aren't low calorie but for us are male bonding since we've been doing this since the days when there was only one restaurant in town that sold croissants before they were ubiquitous.

Lunch was with my partner planning the course we will teach next fall. That's a long time into the future, but we already recognize many pitfalls where encouraging folks to share their personal experiences has the potential to fall into a gab session. It's going to be a challenge, but I'm psyched.

My class on the brain was, one more time, fascinating. We reviewed the work on implanted memories by Dr. Elizabeth F. Loftus who got subjects to remember the time that they had gotten lost in the mall - a story that she had made up and told them that it had happened to them. Makes me dubious of anything that I remember now. I have a brother who is known within the family chuckles for remembering stuff that happened before he was born. Dr. Loftus would have me believe that maybe he has come to believe that he did, in fact, live those experiences.

Evening was spent around a coffee table filled with nibbles for our two hours together. I avoided the cheeses and crackers, CREDIT moi, even as I nibbled at the cashews. It was a good enough eating day given that I planned all the things that I ate with three eating events outside of home, but was hardly conducive to weight loss. Some days just happen.

Joy (gardenerjoy) I love that you lost a kilogram - since I have to convert it to pounds. Maybe the day will come when I'm able to think in kilograms without conversion.

curlyjax Yep, this fall crispness is both a joy and a bummer. Sending supportive thoughts with admiration that you can dream of your DH and fell the sorrow as part of your healing path.

Beth (bethturnaround) Such good advice, "So don't eat the first piece."

Penny. Working for a three-day weekend is one long stretch. Hope you have some time off this week.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Looking Ahead

Follow these pointers: . . .
  • Step on the scale only once. Don't weigh yourself a second time, hoping for a lower weight. It doesn't really matter, and it'll only make you obsessive.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #135  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I thought I posted yesterday, but I guess I didn't. I drove home on Sunday all the way from Grand Lake, CO. It was 825 miles and an interesting drive. I started out at 5:30 a.m. I followed the Waze GPS directions and except for the one hour on the dirt road without lines that was a short cut to I-70, it was a good drive. It was barely getting light when Waze told me to turn right onto Trough Rd. I wondered what the heck I was doing, but it did get me there. The rest of the drive was uneventful and I actually did fine. It was great to get home and Ron and Otis were glad to see me. Yesterday I did feel tired and the day was spent unloading the car, doing laundry and getting some food in the house. I stepped on the scale and had gained a pound or two and that was no big surprise. I'm back to tracking and will get back to the gym today. I won't get back to Crossfit until Friday and I will say I'm a bit nervous about it. No problem getting on the elliptical at the Y, but Crossfit is another story.

Bill This aging business is downright scary and it is so different from one to another. One of my biggest dilemmas is how much money to spend now vs making sure there will be enough if we live into really old age.

Beth Wouldn't it be nice if we could control our intake of any food easily. I realize it just isn't going to happen for me. When I'm really being diligent some things just can't be eaten, or I eat it out at a restaurant where there will be no more available.

Penny You seem to be doing so well following your plan. Do you just count calories or is there something more involved?

I'll get back and post more later. Otis is whining for a walk.

Closed Thread