Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I did not do well with the desserts yesterday, boo. But credit for getting some exercise in anyhow, and I stopped eating after 7 pm (later dinner). I think its a good start to get back on track, to say the kitchen is closed at a certain point. Today is both the chiro and PT, I think I will have to space them out better next week.
It's hard to focus because I have SIX men with 4 trucks here ripping up my driveway. It's finally going to be re-paved, which we had put off forever. Its very noisy, I hope they're wearing ear plugs. They take turns working and standing around chatting A happy worker is a good worker hopefully!
Penny- good luck with the bathroom painting. Is it a new color or just a touch up? I need to re-do my whole bathroom at some point.
Bill- thanks for the idea. I would have to track my credit cards too I guess, since a lot of stuff gets paid for that way. The difficulty is trying to track/plan around the kids, especially DD who "needs" so many things!
Maryann- good luck with meds and mood swings, that must be very hard. Good for you for addressing it head on.
Wave to everyone else. Ack,it sounds like the house is going to be ripped up!!

Last edited by curlyjax; 09-19-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #107  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm in Pinedale, WY this morning after driving thru Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and then the outskirts of a large fire. As we drove toward and thru the smoke I thought, "I sure hope I'm not heading this way and then going to have to turn around." Nope, we went thru the edge of it and then headed south I guess. I wanted to take a picture from that side as the smoke was just billowing up, but even though there was little traffic there wasn't enough room on the side of the road to feel like I could safely get out of my car. I did get out a few times in the parks, but I spent a week or so in them a few years back and I knew I had a bit of a drive, 300 miles to be exact. Pinedale is at the foot of the Wind River Range of the Rockies. There is good hiking here, but I'll wait until I get to Colorado. I felt comfortable hiking Mt. Rose alone because Maryann told us about it, but I'm a little afraid of the animals here without having a companion to hike with. Today I have a 400 mile drive to Grand Lake and I'll be staying in my friends condo. The rest of them will arrive tomorrow. I have no real idea how my weight is doing, but I'm not snacking. I had a protein bar for breakfast a turkey sandwich for lunch and chicken carnitas for dinner. I also had some rice and beans for dinner, but I'm hoping the no snacking is keeping me at maintenance.

The 6 gals I'm meeting in CO are all Weight Watchers. Four of us hit our goal and are either at it or near it and three are still actively working on losing. Our host lost her weight 21 years ago and continues to attend meetings and weigh in monthly. I think we are really going to make an effort to eat healthy and get our exercise. At this point you can imagine that I will be ready to be home and get back to a routine. I even miss cooking, grocery shopping and laundry. Of course I miss my husband and Otis most of all. Doggie daycare has been a Godsend.

Bill That iNaturalist site looks very interesting. I'll check it out further once I get home. Snacking is so difficult. That is one thing that seems easier while traveling. I do bring some food in the car, but only for meals. It's kind of nice not to have a kitchen handy.

Beth Good job getting right back on track. I'm convinced that is the number one thing that helps me keep my weight under pretty good control. It sounds like you are going to be darn busy, but it will be so fun to be in your new home.

Maryann Good to hear from you. It sounds like this job is more difficult than you had hoped. I'm sorry about that. I know you're quite a bit younger than I am, but how many more years do you plan to work? I am going to be 65 on Friday and I still can't believe it.

GardenerJoy You have been so diligent with your posting. Did you weight today?

Penny I can't even imagine riding my bike on any street. I would be totally freaked out to have RV's whizzing by. I don't think I would even see where I was riding due to fear. Are you enjoying the rides you're going on with the group? I have a paved path at home that goes from where I live down to Tempe. The furthest I've ridden in AZ is to downtown for coffee and back.

Curlyjax Good luck on budgeting. I know there is a ton of information on how to do it. I just print out a table that lists the expenses we have each month and write it in as a record. I know when I do plan to budget, reality is always a much higher figure than what I write down. I guess I'm not very realistic with my estimates. Luckily and I do really mean that, we were on a really limited budget when we first were married, so I can always remember how to tighten things up when I need to.

I'm going to take it slow this morning. There is a kitchenette and I have coffee and I brought in the oatmeal that I planned to eat backpacking. I'll have that for breakfast and a protein bar for lunch on the road. I really am having a fun time, but hopefully dh will be retired by the time I do another big road trip and then he and Otis can come along.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #108  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Weight is down another smidge of 0.2 pounds and I have moved dinner back a little for the 16/8 IF eating.

I do think I'm eating less just because I'm not really hungry for that third meal yet. Apparently, two meals is more commonly used but I haven't done that. My hunger has been nonexistent this round of weight loss (which is new and odd) and I don't want to tempt it.

Bathroom has been painted a lighter, fresher color. Just the ceiling needs to be done. We had a lot of trouble with mildew because the old garbage vent wasn't doing a thing. So we replaced the vent, disinfected top to bottom, and fresh paint is the final step.

Beth, good job getting back with a 5 product day.

Maryann, I hope the doctor visit is helpful today.

Joy, I hope your plan to weigh is remembered today.

Bill, I've used the Merlin bird identification app. It's so amazing the bugs can be identified like that!

Curly, if you can take your finances to digital format, I love Mint for being able to see the status of all of my accounts at any time (even mortgage and retirement savings etc), and Quicken for all the details of where I spend my money. A lot of people love YNAB (you need a budget) but I've never really liked budgets. I like to set up an aggressive automatic savings, pay all the bills early, and then know whatever is left is for food, gas, and fun. Simpler, imo.

Karen, I'm loving the meetup cycling rides but it is hard to find the easier rides that I need right now. The ones I'm able to do so far are on a rails to trails, paved path, which I much prefer.

Maybe you'd like one of those travel scales to keep in the car for your next road trip. I looked at them online and got as far as considering one. They are so cute!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #109  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I remembered to weigh in this morning, but didn't want to disturb DH at an early hour, so I didn't. Tomorrow's excuse, if I need one, will be that today is a weird eating day for a variety of reasons and includes our saltiest supper. But, I don't like that excuse, so I'm going to try my darnedest to get on the scale!

Credits:
  • posted fifty days in a row

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +50, 725/1200 minutes for Septe
Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 AM   #110  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I've had a second 5 product day and plan one more tomorrow. Tomorrow is a work happy hour, which I've struggled with, so I think I'm just going to bring a bar and have that. Reword--I am going to bring a bar and have that. I checked the menu of where we're going for happy hour and I'll be better off with product.

I had a lot to do at home today and got a lot of non-health things accomplished. I was going to go to the lake to walk but it rained pretty hard. I waited a bit (was going to go to the gym and walk the track) but it cleared up so instead of going to the gym I walked to the library and returned DD's books for her.

I didn't read my cards this morning or my diet book today or yesterday. I will do better with that tomorrow--and read some of my cards tonight.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - 1st FORTRAN computer program run (1954, IBM)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing the (3 yr) DGD, CREDIT moi. We took two subways to get to the Boston Museum of Science where running in circles was more important than absorbing science. With much joy we 'discovered' the HUGE Tyrannosaurus Rex outside (moved outside because it is posturally incorrect) and the also HUGE T. Rex inside (with correct horizontal posture). The slice of a 2000 year-old tree had no meaning. The mock-up Apollo Command Module was a favorite because we could crawl in and watch movies of the moon. The five story Foucault pendulum is still swinging as it has been since I was taking her mother there some thirty years ago - who also ignored it while her brother couldn't be pulled away.

Perhaps her most favorite was getting a cheese pizza for lunch. The DGD knows how to eat a pizza. "Just cheese, Granddad" - she was quite clear. Apparently her young life has already been soiled by some adult trying to serve her pizza with 'stuff' on it. “Inconceivable!" I split a bowl of Wolfgang Puck's 'something hearty' soup with DW, getting a day's worth of potatoes and cream in one sitting. It also had miniscule bacon bits just enough for flavor. We sat at a window overlooking the Charles River where Duck Boats were carrying folks in the water after their tour over the streets of Boston and Heron Gulls were atop each piling. It's easily a favorite view of Boston.

Made it as an on plan day, CREDIT moi, by rational choices at the potluck with my evening book club. We discussed Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. One member called it one of the top five books of his life! One has to slip the surly bonds of reality at times to confront her discussions with plants and the earth. One's head needs to be in the right place for a spiritual book by a professional biologist. It's a love it or bewildered by it type of book.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good luck surviving your saltiest supper. Congrats for fifty days in a row posting.

Karen (karenrn) – Just amazing how you cover the huge distances of the Western U. S. by just driving them. Super idea to hike with folks who know Weight Watchers.

curlyjax – That's a lot of men and trucks making noise in your face. Neat that you continue to make "close the kitchen" work.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Super Kudos for bringing a bar to your happy hour bar - even if it superficially sounds like coals to Newcastle.

Penny. – Yay for non-existent hunger. Bathroom vents are the greatest invention.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you to do the following: . . .
  • Tolerate occasional hunger and cravings and learn that you can withstand them.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 135.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #112  
Green Tomatoes

I remembered to weigh! It was nice to see a bit of a drop to tell me that the posting and planning were keeping me on track even when I couldn't get myself to look.

I predict that it will take me more than 50 days to complete a 50-day streak, like I did for posting every day. I counted posts any time before 11:59pm. With weighing, there's a pretty short window during the day when I have to get it done or I won't do it. So, I may have to restart two or three times before I manage 50 days in a row.

Credits:
  • weighed for the first time in a couple of weeks
Weigh-in: -0.35 kgs, Exercise: +35, 760/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #113  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, completed a 14 mile bike ride, and weight is down a slightly bigger smidge of 0.6 pounds. I also got all the foods prepped yesterday, to last a few days. Check, check, and check. lol

Today I have a painful and puffy eye with possibly an infected tear duct. Hopefully it can be tamed before my three day work stretch starts tomorrow.

Joy, credit for weighing! Bonus to be lower than expected.

Bill, credit for the on plan day.

Beth, I hope the product at happy hour went okay.

Waving at curly and Karen. :wave
Old 09-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #114  
formerly bethfromdayton

Totally blew my 5 product day at Happy Hour. Didn't even track how much I ate--but it was too much--and carrot cake. I did skip the wine :-). No credits for dinner. 5 product day tomorrow. If I'd eaten "ordinary" it wouldn't have been an issue--but I talked myself out of a product bar for my dinner--and shouldn't have.

No exercise today--we ubered everywhere.

--Beth
Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - International Peace Day established (since 1981, United Nations)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, despite spending nearly two hours at an evening event where we sat around a table for a discussion with cupcakes as the offered snack. I had exactly one, a small one, that was topped with applesauce (yeah!) and a wad of cream cheese (boo!). I, as politely as I could muster, ate the apple sauce, then removed the slab of cream cheese to my napkin, then ate the spiced muffin. Didn't join the line going back for seconds (and for the younger folks, thirds). I won on calories. Amy Vanderbilt may have an opinion about my table manners, LOL. At this same location in the past 'light appetizers' were robust enough to declare as dinner. On this occasion, they were indeed light. Fortunately, DW had some leftover lasagna that I paired with my standard green salad - a green salad made with grocery store lettuce, grocery store tomatoes, and grocery store English cucumber. It was the same salad that I'll make in February under several feet of snow.

Exercise was merely walking to the subway to get to a luncheon of old friends from my work days. I had planned to have a grilled Reuben sandwich which I did. I had planned to substitute a salad for the fried onion rings which I did. I can ignore the calories of the Reuben as I basked in my goodness for skipping the onion rings. I even skipped the bowl of fried onion ring being passed around later. CREDIT moi for the parts that I did well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the scale's feedback of a small drop to acknowledge that, despite your more than busy, you're following your plans.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Indeed there is credit for skipping the wine, Kudos.

Penny. – Kudos for "Check, check, and check" - that's Dr. Beck's strategy.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you to do the following: . . .
  • Make decisions about eating before you encounter triggers. Let's say some friends invite you to dinner. They offer you some tempting dessert. The decision is already made: no. The dessert isn't on your plan, so you don't eat it. You don't have to weigh the pros and cons. You just stick to your plan. This eliminate the tension and struggle.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #116  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down a smidge again, reaching 20 pounds lost. The losses should stall out now or I might think there is something to moving all my calories into an eight hour window.

I bought a bike stand and spent some time yesterday making the simple task of setting it up, mounting my bike, and cleaning my bike look extremely difficult. It was good to get all the filth of cherries/plum gunk that had stuck to the wheels and frame off. It was starting to collect more dirt and pine needles, growing with every ride.

Hopefully next time I'll know better how to use the stand, remove bike parts etc.

I've started up the SAD light and it's beaming its sunshine on me right now.

Beth, definitely credit for skipping the wine.

Bill, credit for being mindful for both occasions. I have a few tomatoes left but it's almost clean up time. Grocery store veg will have to do here too.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #117  
Green Tomatoes

I'm exhausted and have one more big responsibility today after a week full of meetings to run, fires to put out, and projects that I'm feeling behind on. All of that can be a trigger for overeating, so I want to be careful today. One thing that helps is a fully-written plan of what I intend to eat and the prep work required to make it happen....Done!

Credits:
  • weighed two days in a row
Weigh-in: +0.05 kgs, Exercise: +20, 780/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-22-2018, 02:04 AM   #118  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone.

I had a successful 5 product day today. Tomorrow, DD and I are going grocery shopping since there's no food in the house. I had mostly products this week so didn't bother to shop--and it didn't reach the top of the priority list for the two who were actually eating. Oh well. Not my problem.

I had a short window between the end of my work day and having to leave for the theater (Legally Blonde was great), but I decided not to dilly dally around and went and walked at the lake. I thought the wildflowers were done but there are some tiny blue daisy things that are blooming now. Credit for making the walk work!

Tomorrow is a busy day of post office, grocery shopping, and packing. If we get enough done, we'll go to the monthly Mensa meeting tomorrow night--but we have to make some progress on the packing!

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #119  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Bob Dylan plays NYC Carnegie Hall (1962)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included a stop at the library for my second trip there in one day - three books for me and two for the (3 yo) DGD. Choosing kids books is such fun. From the supermarket, I brought home three pumpkins for the front porch: one HUGE, one medium, and one tiny representing the DGD. The neighborhood kids have already rearranged them in the proper order, LOL. It feels a bit early to put out pumpkins, but we like them and they will last through Halloween. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, but with an (unnecessary) afternoon snack. The feeling that I won't last until dinner without a snack is just bogus, but I fall for it as if survival depended on it.

Evening event was a performance of The Black Clown - a music theater piece based on the poem of that name by Langston Hughes. It was both entertaining and deeply moving performance by13 African-American actors depicting what it's like to be a black man in America. It was world premiere here, but I'd bet that it will get scooped up to Broadway or tour around the country.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LIke that you include the prep work in your plan.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Kudos for getting back on track with a 5 product day. LOL at "Not my problem."

Penny. – Congrats on those 20 pounds gone forever. Congrats on getting your bike stand assembled and in use.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow
Plan and monitor your
eating
in writing every day.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-22-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Typo - HTML bushwacking by itself
Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning coaches! I am up earlier than usual on a Saturday (groan) I had to drop off DS at 6:50 at school. He is going to a x country meet that lasts most of the day. It is a beautiful day and actually I enjoyed the early morning sun as I drove home.
I indulged in way too much cake yesterday at a work party- and those evil candy corn which are out now!- but I stopped eating after dinner and didn't snack afterwards.
Todays plans include checking out another town festival and a farmers market, and going to someone's house for a potluck and games party. i don't know her well, so credit for trying something new. I will either buy something at the farmers market, or bring a cabbage salad that is sort of healthy (does contain sugar and ramen noodles, but the vegetables offset it!)

Penny- great job on the 20 pounds, that is awesome!! You are turning into quite the bike queen.
Beth- good luck on the packing, never any fun. I cannot imagine packing up my house, it will take years to sort things out!
Karen- I'm enjoying your travel adventures as usual. Great that your companions are healthy eaters too!
Bill-you have long lasting pumpkins. Mine either get soggy in the rain or attacked by squirrels, i have to wait until the last minute to set them out.
Joy-hope the weekend provides you some rest!

Last edited by curlyjax; 09-22-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Closed Thread