Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 AM   #91  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning, all. A quick note to say I'm going on a two week 'fitness media fast' as part of my Precision Nutrition coaching. Let's see how it goes!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 AM   #92  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Flight cancellation and a day's delay getting home :-(

I succumbed to mom's baking again :-( and then chips at the airport --but then got my act together and ate an OP dinner. Tomorrow will be a bit of a challenge because I didn't plan for the extra day. I'll have breakfast at the hotel breakfast tomorrow morning--eggs to order. And then I have a couple of bars, still.

We went to Target and got some basics since our luggage was inaccessible when our second flgiht was cancelled.

Oh well.

--Beth
Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #93  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Dutch scientist Antonie van Leeuwenhoek reports existence of bacteria (1683)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the supermarket to buy a dish for my neighborhood's block party. They always have too many desserts so I bought a HUGE bucket of fried chicken wings and legs. They were much appreciated. One dish was fresh figs split with prosciutto and mozzarella cheese - a new combination for me. Got to talk a 94 year old guy who knows everyone in town and keeps working every day. He didn't have a wheelchair or walker, just a cane. May we all age that well.

Eating certainly pushed the plan. I controlled myself at the block party but did sample more than I would have had at a normal dinner. I take some credit for not consuming the whole bucket of chicken that I bought; I don't have fried chicken often - can't remember the last time. I skipped the hamburgers and chicken breasts coming off the grill. I did have a small piece of Ethiopian Injera bread - the one made with teff flour. It was about the best I've ever had - dark and quite moist. I could easily have eaten the entire platter. It's fun to be reminded that we have neighbors whose normal eating is exotic to us. One guy was about to leave for six months in Beijing. His 3 year-old daughter was already correcting his pronunciation of Mandarin that she was learning from her mother. His Mandarin comes slowly; the 3 year-old just takes it in.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Maybe the right balance is to inject an occasional no-snack day in just to remind you why you try to balance your hunger. I do better with no snacks than I do with limited snacks.

silverbirch – Bon Voyage on your 'fitness media fast' - not sure what that means, but enjoy the ride.

curlyjax – Yay for stretching and getting Christmas shopping started.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Ouch for a day's delay getting home - major inconvenience including the no-luggage part. Kudos for having a few bars extra with youl

Penny. – Sashimi is just such a good meal. So neat to be reminded how good fresh fish tastes.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you to do the following:
  • Think about how you're going to get and prepare the food on your eating plan.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 135.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

quick wave all. I'm running late but i'm determined to get back to posting! I stopped eating last night at 7 as planned, and feel a bit hungry this am which is good. I would like to try fasting for 12-14 hours as some books suggest but its difficult if you work. Maybe on the weekend. Tonight is the start of yoga night so yay for that. Wave to all!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #95  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Down a smidge in weight finally today. I'm enjoying a fajita chicken bake with brown rice these days and will pull a salmon out of the freezer for the next meal. The salmon is my fav and it only lasts 1-2 days, while every other dish lasts 3-4. Wah.

Beth, sorry about the flight delay. A flight delay was the undoing of one of my previous weight loss successes. It seems incredible in hindsight but it can be hard to get out if that headspace.

Silver, I'd be interested in knowing the rationale for the recommended fitness social media fast. See you in two weeks!

Curly, You got me interested in tracking the fasting hours closer. I already kind of do the 10/14 naturally. I downloaded the fasting app to see if moving to the 8/16 makes any difference.

Bill, it's so refreshing to see people aging well. In my work, I see so many people aging terribly, I need these group bike rides to meet up with healthy people, aging amazingly well. Kudos for not going crazy with the potluck food.

Joy, I hope the training you gave went well.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #96  
Green Tomatoes

I'm ready to declare daily posting a new habit. Instead, I want to see if I can start to track a new streak for daily weigh-ins. But, I keep forgetting to get the first day done. Starting a streak requires a first. I'll try again tomorrow.

Credits:
  • posted forty-eight days in a row
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +30, 630/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #97  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

I'm in Bozeman, MT. I drove from Everett to Lake Chelan and stayed with a close friend of ours. Then went back to my brother and sister in laws in Wenatchee for Saturday night and then back to Chelan for a night. I made the plan to visit my brother and his wife and our relationship was a little odd for a couple of years. I wanted to make an effort and it went better than expected. Today I woke up at 3:30 a.m. but didn't get up for a couple of hours so I wouldn't wake up our friend. I left his house at 6:30 and the drive was 9 1/2 hours or so, 550 miles. I will say I am a bit tired tonight. I'm in a comfortable motel and am looking forward to tomorrow's drive. I'm going to head to Yellowstone from the north entrance and see some of the sights and then head to Grand Tetons. I've been to both of them a couple of years ago, but since I have my parks pass I thought it would make for a pretty drive and I will spend tomorrow night at Pinedale, WY. Food has been better the past few days, but exercise has been poor. I won't hike in the parks due to recent news about some of the animals getting aggressive, but I'll walk around the more populated area on a few stops. I hope to post personals tomorrow since I don't expect to be so tired.

Karen
Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #98  
formerly bethfromdayton

Not a successful travel day--too many mini muffins at breakfast (as well as a pancake). Stole some of DH's chips with lunch. Sweets at the airport. Sweets when I got home. Wow. But I've acknowledged it all. And i ignored my daughter when I shouldn't have.

So, here I am, home, another not great travel completion. HOWEVER, I have recovered from poor travel choices this summer. I may have let the travel mistakes--and willful destruction--happen--but I was able to get back on track and not only stop regain but keep losing. So, that is my plan for right now. I expect tomorrow's scale reading to be unpleasant to see :-(. I am going to do 3 days of all product now that I'm home to get myself back on track.

I will reach a point where I don't spiral myself out of control while traveling. In the mean time, I have reached a point where I can recover. And I recover starting now. (Admittedly after I've had more sweets today than I'd need in a month--maybe a year)

Gnight all.

--Beth
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #99  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - The first edition of The New York Times published (1851)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The laundry came out of the washing machine with a black spot on two shirts. DW found a glob of ink stuck to the side of the washing machine's tub. Ouch! It could have been much worse - actually hard to believe that there was so little damage. Unfortunately, the ballpoint pen that came out with the clothes advertised "Dial 911" - picked up from my visit to the electric vehicle fair on Saturday. I'm the culprit. I have no idea how a ballpoint pen got left in a shirt pocket. I'm in the doghouse around here for a bit.

Eating drifted; I had extra snacks of sweets - food that I not only didn't need, but was only eating because it seemed like a good idea at the time. I am fighting some tension that I'm behind on some reading for my courses, but it's not like I'm about to get shamed in class or flunk out of school. Just the normal tension of wishing I'd hit the books a few days ago when time was available.

The good news is that we heard a lecture that described how one area of coral reefs in the Florida Keys were made to come back by upgrading the local waste water treatment plant. Surprise! Previously, the standard belief was that coral reefs were dying due to temperature change alone. Not so. The White Pox disease came from the pathogen Serratia marcescens that was traced to be the strain from humans - not the strain from the ubiquitous Key Deer. Humans have passed a disease to coral - a man bites dog version of how disease spreads. It was a rare "happy ending" story even though limited to the single area where the waste water treatment was upgraded.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Enjoying the thought, "Starting a streak requires a first."

Karen (karenrn) – 550 miles is a long drive. You're sure moving along out there. Give my regards to the Grand Tetons - it's been decades since I was there. Yay for smoothing the relationship with your brother.

curlyjax – Neat to have a cutoff time of 7 pm that you honored.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Welcome home! Super Kudos for "I have reached a point where I can recover."

Penny. – Your fajita chicken bake sounds good. I, too, wish my favorite foods had a longer fridge life.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you to do the following: . . .
  • Remember what you're supposed to eat and when. If you don't plan ahead, you put yourself in the tougher situation of solving problems in the moment. When you feel hungry and look in your refrigerator for something to eat, you might not come up with a diet-friendly solution.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi all. Credit for stopping eating yesterday at 6:00 pm, since I needed an empty stomach for yoga. I'm drinking my coffee now but will wait until 8 to eat, so that will sort of be 12 hours of fasting. Credit for resisting the free candy at work too- I headed down the hall but then i made myself turn around and not take any.Today's challenge is I am putting on a light lunch so I need to resist dessert, or at least not gorge myself.

Yesterday' the bank statement came( I am still not online- another thing i need to do i guess!) and i was surprised at how much it dipped. I really need to make a budget, but i'm not sure how to do that without driving myself crazy. It needs to be simple and yet somehow incorporate money that I use for the kids, and i'm not sure how to anticipate that. I should probably get some kind of once a year financial advisor to help me figure this out, since i'm now on my own.
Bill- glad to hear about the coral reefs! some good envt news finally!
Karen- wow, that's a lot of driving! Glad your brothers visit went well.

Last edited by curlyjax; 09-18-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #101  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Weight was down another smidge today, extremely smidgey at 0.2 pounds, and I signed up for another group bike ride for Wednesday.

Bathroom painting and knit night at the cafe planned for today. Woohoo!

Beth, that is fantastic that you can recover and jump right back on plan. I'm still waiting for the obesity code book. The wait is so long and I need another motivating read in my life!

Bill, that is good news about the coral reef. Sorry about the pen mishap, the unintended snacking, and the backlog of class reading. I hope today is a better day.

Karen, enjoy the parks! I took a bike tour and was one of the crazy people riding the shoulder with RVs whizzing by through Yellowstone. It was beautiful but the traffic was out of my comfort zone.

Joy, you have such a good handle on your exercise. Major credit!I hope I can get motivated to get to that point. Good luck with your daily weight goal.

Curly, waving your way. Kudos for resisting the candy. Have a great day!

Last edited by Penny.; 09-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #102  
Green Tomatoes

I had a meeting at 7:30 this morning, so I suppose it was unrealistic to believe that today was the day I was going to remember to weigh myself. I have a meeting tomorrow morning, too, but it's at 8:30, so that gives me an hour more time to remember.

Credits:
  • posted forty-nine days in a row
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +45, 675/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.

It felt good to read up on everyone.

KarenRn’s travels are amazing! I would love to be in Yellowstone. It reminds me that at some point my working life will be in the rear view mirror and travel will be the larger windshield view. That gives me some hope in my challenging job placement.

I continue to try and find food that sounds appealing. Weight is below ticker. A dr’s trip tomorrow will hopefully prove to start leveling me out in my mood swings.

Thanks everyone for posting. You really help those of us who “lurk.”
Old 09-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #104  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

Today was 5 products--and some real cravings for peanut butter brownies. I worked through the craving and then had DH move them from the cupboard. I don't know where they are--he hid them--and that's what I wanted him to do. I told him he could hide them or he could throw them away :-). I guess I don't really know which he did.)

I reminded myself that it was just a craving--I didn't need one. That the craving was because I'd had several yesterday--if I hadn't had them, I wouldn't want one. That I was back OP today and that meant 5 products. And a minute or two later I was through the hard part of it. Big credit for standing down the craving--and more credit for getting DH to hide them :-)

Exercise today was a walk to the library to return The Obesity Code. I wanted to re-read the last two chapters but didn't have time and it was due and not renewable. I want to learn more about the idea of intermittent fasting. No time to research it now, but it is something I want to learn more about.

The next month or so is going to be crazy busy--packing, decisions on work being done in the new house, a weekend trip out of town, various ordinary tasks around the house. And I really need to not let good choices for food or exercise fall off the radar. I'm going to find it hard to find 45 minutes most days for exercise--but it's too important to let myself be "too busy" to do--even if I really am too busy.

Gnight, all!

--Beth
Old 09-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #105  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Hyperion, moon of Saturn, discovered (1848)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At an evening event we learned that the site iNaturalist has added the ability to identify a plant or animal using AI. The program began as a U.C. Berkeley undergraduate experiment and has evolved to have a zillion users and recorded sightings. The folks identifying butterflies, beetles, and moths have the hardest jobs; various experts who frequent this site contribute to sorting it all out. I was impressed.

Eating was out of bounds with the snacks in the afternoon and the evening. At the evening event, I dropped $5 into the basket to help defray costs - then nibbled on brownies as if I was trying to get my money's worth. Just whacky! It does work for me to have no snacks much better than to try to limit snacks where "one more won't hurt" seems like a reasonable thought.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 7:30 a. m. is a tad early for many folks. We have to have afternoon bird walks on occasion because of the many who just can't get up that early - even though the birds are most active and visible in the early morning when they're doing something about being hungry.

maryann – Congrats for being under your ticker. Good luck with your doctor today.

curlyjax – Kudos for avoiding that candy at work. I was once asked to help someone make a budget out of absolute ignorance about what they were spending. I suggested a first step of taking last year's expenses as recorded in their checkbook (pre-credit-card days) as a starting point. They were astounded that flowers ordered from several florists were such a huge expense - they were friendly and had developed the habit of ordering flowers for every minor situation. My attempt to help wasn't ultimately successful as they felt that each and every expenditure was absolutely necessary - so why bother with a budget? I've never tried to help anyone again although I retain the notion that just looking at a year's spending might be enlightening.

Beth (bethturnaround) – I cringe at the thought of peanut-butter brownies getting lost in their hiding place until found by creatures. Yep, Kudos indeed for standing down that craving.

Penny. – Painting does give such a nice immediate reward.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you to do the following: . . .
  • Eliminate spontaneous eating. Spontaneous eating - the little nibbles of snacks, leftovers, and other food - is often what keeps dieters from losing weight.
Closed Thread