Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #76  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good day in the garden yesterday. Mild, sunny and cloudy, no rain, slight breeze. I had a very nice time and was shattered by the end of the day. The garden got away from me this year. We went away for a few days in May just as the heatwave was starting. I thought I'd lost quite a few plants but, interestingly, lots of weed, grass and self-set plants grew up and protected them. The runner beans came back from the dead and so have plants in pots which got lost in the undergrowth. Let's call it permaculture.

Do you remember how I liked the catchiness of gardenerjoy's "drink or dessert? This is my new jingle.

Quote:
Come in the door, have a drink and no more.
Exercise - still no formal exercise as agreed with trainer/fixer. Food - not bad. Sleep - acceptable.

Beth, that's very exciting about the new house. I hope things go well on your visit to your mom. Good to have support.

maryann, hope your haircut is lovely. Good work on the fruit and veg. Melons are going down easily here.

Penny, good to have a game plan to suit you for those social situations. Let us know what you put together. I'm still trying to find one out for me nowadays, as I'm not that keen on restaurant food and feel quite unsatisfied so I have a pudding to end the meal, and that tends to be a bad idea as they are always a disappointment. gardenerjoy's "drink or dessert" works well for her.

Joy, am I reading correctly that you much prefer to have meals at set times? You occasionally mention "oddly timed events" and I've noticed those in my life too. I sometimes put it down to other people having a different internal timetable from me. Credit for putting a plan together. And credit to Missouri Botanical Garden for renovating that building.

Wave to karen and curlyjax and onebyone.

Last edited by silverbirch; 09-14-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Alexander von Humboldt, German naturalist and explorer, born (1769, Berlin)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the drugstore to pick up a prescription for DW. All I needed was the prescription and my ID - nothing to prove that I was married to her. Seems like a hole in the security of the system although it makes sense that there must be many situations when the person for whom the prescription is being written isn't physically able to trot over to the drugstore. While waiting, I dropped by the supermarket where I found blueberries at two pints for $5 - a very good price around here. Must be the blowout for the last batch. I bought six pints so we'll end the summer in a blaze of blueberries.

Happy event was to pick up Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward from my favorite local library. The book was released on Tuesday and I picked it up at 10 am on Thursday. That's some fancy footwork by our librarians. I'm impressed. I'm only twenty pages in and most of the quotable lines have already appeared in the news. Evening event was dinner with a large group of friends from work, many also retired but a goodly group still marching forth. I did well with one plate from the serving table - including only one strip of steak-kebab instead of the offered two and a scoop of the veggies that came with the tofu since they were the only veggies in sight. Unfortunately, I had a small cup of ice cream with the friends at my table. Good enough, CREDIT moi. Startling end when one friend received a frantic phone call from her adult daughter who was in one of the Massachusetts towns being evacuated due to gas line driven fires. Mom had to go to the rescue. During a mass evacuation, there aren't many Uber drivers giving rides. A frightening event that's still unfolding.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Every time you mention the Missouri Botanical Garden I'm reminded that it's a special place sitting on my Bucket List. Congrats to all you supporters who've taken it through the renovation. I bet that Alexander von Humboldt would also like the place.

silverbirch – LOL at your "permaculture" - it takes such a short time for nature to return a garden to its version of the wild.

maryann – Yay for some back relief - hope you get enough so that you have a good weekend.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Super Congrats for closing on your house. And more so for being able to hear an interior designer with a new perspective. Neat that you have full family support for your trip to your mom's.

Penny. – Neat that you're spending energy to prepare for the unknown restaurant.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

You'll continue to plan and monitor your eating in writing every day for many weeks and months, possibly until you've lost all the weight you want - and maybe even beyond.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 135.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #78  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Just a brief phone check in. I’m in Everett WA visiting a friend who was a neighbor in Olympia WA 44 years ago. She was very good to me as I was a really young Mom and my parents lived in upstate NY. We have stayed in contact but see each other infrequently. We had lunch at an Indian restaurant, but kept dinner very light. This morning I’ll drive to Chelan WA over Stevens Pass. It should be a beautiful drive although the weather is not great. I’ll check in on computer later or tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #79  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Weight was up a smidge when I expected the opposite. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Yesterday, I decided to try an audible version of my book for the first time so I can knit, and it's different! I like the accent and proper pronunciation of all the Spanish words and names (it takes place in Mexico city) but I feel I lose something by not seeing the text. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Also discovered it's a bit embarrassing when the kids walk in on adult subject matter in the story. Maybe headphones are in order. Ha!

A 17 mile bike ride with the ladies cycling group is planned for today and so far not cancelled. Fingers crossed the saddle doesn't kill me before it's over because it's been so long since I've ridden.

Beth, congratulations on the house! Enjoy your weekend in Az.

Maryann, I'm glad the back pain has lessened. A fresh haircut always feels good.

Silver, I love the new mantra through the door! I like the drink or dessert one too but I will be abstaining from both. Wah!

Bill, kudos for maintaining mindful eating at the social outing. Scary for that mom in the group! I hope her daughter is ok.

Joy, how did the restaurant go?

Waving at Karen and Curly.

Last edited by Penny.; 09-14-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #80  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's challenge of an early evening event followed by a restaurant meal went as planned. Credit for making a realistic plan so that I had that to follow (without it, I would have made much poorer choices).

The documentary was fun to watch and better than I thought it might be, given that it's a local production. In their version of the story, Frederick Law Olmsted ends up as the villain of the piece because his vision of landscape was at odds with a botanical garden focused on teaching about plants. If he'd had his way, the building that was just renovated would have been torn down a hundred years ago.

Today's a big day for my current project. I'm taking a cohort of people through a structured process for completing creative projects. It's something that I developed for my personal use over the last 15 years and was recently convinced that it might be useful to others. These people will help me figure out if that's true. I'm hosting a live webinar this afternoon, a brand new experience for me and a bit nerve-wracking, but nothing to eat over.

I notice that I'm less than 70 minutes to the half-way point for my exercise in November. So, I want to complete at least 35 minutes of exercise today so that I'm poised to get half-way on the 15th of the month.

Credits:
  • posted forty-five days in a row
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +25, 535/1200 minutes for September

silverbirch: I love your new jingle! I do better eating by the clock since I don't trust my ability to use hunger as a guide. Mostly, that works but I can get thrown off by other people's timing.

BillBlueEyes: We're feeling annoyed at the national news this morning. I care a lot about the people impacted by Hurricane Florence, but I think the impact of the Massachusetts' explosions are of more national and long-term significance -- what the heck went wrong? And, can that happen any where? The CBS morning show couldn't pull itself away from pictures of reporters standing in the rain and wind to work on the answers to those questions.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:12 AM   #81  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

Exercise was a trip to the zoo--a zoo I hadn't been to since August 1995! I used to take DS twice a week or so (sometimes more) and hadn't returned since we moved away from Tucson that summer. A lot has changed, of course (5 elephants in a big area instead of the 2 in an enclosure that now has goats). A lot hasn't. And I was surprised at how much I remembered! It was fun being there with DD, since she was a babe in arms the last time I took here there. You do a lot of walking at a zoo, even if it isn't very fast!

Food was OP--3 products, and then Mexican food out. I was so tempted by a margarita--and DD prompted me out of it. She knows how frustrating I find it to get off plan when traveling, so she was asking if I really wanted to do that--and I decided I didn't. And we had a lovely evening anyway. My meal was mediocre (others said theirs were good) but I didn't have an unplanned margarita. When eating out several times in a row, I can't use gardenerjoy's "Drink or dessert" because it would mean having one of those every day while traveling--that just isn't going to get me where I want to be.

I'm ready for tomorrow--we're going to a cave and I'll have a shake and two bars, and then dinner at mom's. She said she made a crustless quiche--that should work well and with a salad and some fruit, it'll be fine. No desserts for me (an incredible struggle since my mom is a great baker), but I know that I am not good at just one cookie--it is better for me not to start.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 09-15-2018, 04:33 AM   #82  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good day of prioritising and decluttering at a client's house. Took a load of clothes and toys to a charity shop.

Food - credit, first of all, for making the most of not packing lunch. I stopped at a supermarket and bought some salmon and salad. I'm pleased with that. I also bought a cake for the DB and his expedition partners but it was terrible. I do know this about shop cakes but obviously need to relearn it. For me, they are not worth buying.

Exercise - nothing much except a few stairs at the client's. I'm going to return to flexibility exercises today as I'm stiff, possibly through sleeping in a draught.

Sleep - all right but not deep, sound, restorative sleep. The wind was probably howling through the window.

Beth, credit for knowing yourself and not starting to eat cookies.

Joy, eating by the clock has worked well for me in the past. I'll think about getting back to it. Good luck with today's exciting project work!

Penny, ooh, 17 miles and you haven't been cycling much recently. Hope it's a lovely spin.

karen, credit for checking in. I'm enjoying hearing about your travels.

Bill, credit to you for knowing that you like blueberries and taking advantage when they're in season. These fires in Massachusetts are most alarming.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Scottish bacteriologist Alexander Fleming discovers penicillin (1928)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the subway and through the meanderings necessary to get to the optometrist office to pick up my new glasses. "You know how to wear these, of course." "Actually, they're only the second pair in my life." So, I get a lecture on how to wash my glasses daily with soft soap; how to NEVER wipe them on my t-shirt (which I'd previously been told was the safest thing); that my old leather glasses case wasn't the cause of the scratching and wear (which the doctor said was); that they were manufactured to last only 18 to 24 months because most folks changed prescription in that time so lasting longer was a waste. These are an improvement because the progressive lenses have a lower range that's very comfortable for reading - the old ones weren't sufficient so that I always had to switch to drugstore reading glasses. The meanderings took me through the main building of MIT where several coeds handed me a keychain saying "Females in Aerospace Engineering" on one side and "Remove Before Flight" on the other. What a jewel. Unfortunately, they also handed me a cookie that I ate, unplanned and unneeded, but gobbled as if I'd never been handed a cookie by a bright, enthusiastic, Aerospace Engineering, coed before. On second thought, maybe that was my first time - so the cookie can be rationalized as rare and unusual, LOL.

The next walk took me on an errand for DW who is a tad slowed after a minor procedure. It gave me a chance to ask the owner of the nearby bookstore why there were no visible copies of Fear on display. "Sold out the first day; you can see the prepaid holds up there," pointing to his hold shelf.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, accepting that I called my coed cookie a snack. Dinner was on the patio even though DW went inside immediately afterward instead of dawdling because of the chill.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Pretty unusual for Frederick Law Olmsted to be cast as a villain since he designed Boston's Emerald Necklace and a bunch of other local places. [We're having the same problem with the competing news: the flooding news is just human-interest stories of folks getting boated out of their homes by six first-responders instead of a leisurely van pickup as the mayors had pleaded in advance. There is no credible news yet pointing to the cause of the gas explosions in Massachusetts. "Equipment" was being upgraded by the gas company and there seems to be over-pressure in the gas lines. That's all the hard news that I can extract. We are, of course, interested in your question, "Can it happen again? Here?"]

silverbirch – Just love hearing about your decluttering success - each client must think of you as a lifesaver.

Karen (karenrn) – Sounds like you're staying pretty busy up there in Washington.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for zoos and for kids who want to see them. Kudos for skipping the Marguerita - there'll be other opportunities.

Penny. – Hope those 17 miles went OK. LOL at kids walking into adult sections of an audio book - never thought of that before.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Okay, I can almost hear your sabotaging thoughts. Writing a plan and monitoring what you eat is the single task the people I've counseled have most often resisted. You might be thinking the same kinds of things they've said to me, such as:
  • I don't really have to do that, do I?
  • It's so much trouble. I don't want to do it.
  • That means I can't just eat whatever I feel like eating.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

Today's a busy day. My Saturdays are usually busy, but I've got a memorial service after all the normal activities. Since I don't have time to eat, I'm going to attempt to pull off a no-snack day and see how that goes. Oh, I'm just remembering from BillBlueEye's posts that memorial services are often accompanied by food. I think I will still declare it a no-snack day and attempt to sneak out of food-serving places as quickly as possible.

Credits:
  • posted forty-six days in a row
  • exercised 35 minutes as I approach the mid-month point
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +35, 570/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #85  

Good morning!

Yesterday was a success for completing an 18.8 mile ride with the cycling group. I was with a smaller group doing the shorter and slower ride and it was more than enough for me. My legs were killing me. Ha! All is good again today though.

Tonight is my dinner out with the high school friends and they still have not confirmed a restaurant.

Beth, the zoo is fabulous for steps! Kudos for keeping mindful during your trip.

Bill, that is impressive you got the book so quickly from the library. I read the Fire and Fury book but not sure about Fear. I'll be interested to know what you think of it.

Silver, I'm with you on store bought cake. Blech! That hasn't completely stopped me from eating them in the past though. Lol

Joy, good luck with the no snacking. You can do it!
Old 09-16-2018, 02:03 AM   #86  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was not my easiest food day but I have to give myself credit for being better than some of my other travels. The real struggle was my mom's peanut butter brownies. Yes, they are that special. And I had 3 of them. They were very small, so probably equivalent to about 1.5 brownies. But 3 is all I had. I could have easily scarfed down more--but I stopped. So I give myself credit for that. I also nibbled at other people's fries a bit at dinner, which probably primed me for the brownies--the sugar really is addictive to me.

Exercise today was shopping at an antique mall, then a tour of Karchner Caverns, which is a really cool LIVING cave. Then we walked around the fun shopping area in Tucson. I definitely did some walking today.

Tomorrow I need to keep strong in the face of my mom's baking--if I don't have any then I can't have too much. If I don't start, then I can't binge.

--Beth
Old 09-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #87  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The Metropolitan Opera opens in Lincoln Center (1966, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had an adventure when I took my Nissan LEAF to an electric car fair where it was a demo for folks to gawk at and question. Not a technically stimulating crowd, "Do you like it? How far does it go?" "Yes, very much. It gets about 80 miles on a charge which suits us fine since we use it for short drives and use our other car for longer trips." I did get to fondle some new Teslas and BMWs. All manufacturers are producing a line of electric cars now. I came home with a FREE t-shirt.

Eating was off because I had drooled about and planned to enjoy the "BBQ" to be served at the fair. Turns out to mean "standard, old boiled then touched on the grill, hot dogs." I didn't take my option to just pass and have lunch at home - as if skipping FREE food wasn't an option. I had St. Louis or Memphis ribs in mind. Oh, Well.

The moving experience of the day was picking up a friend at a nursing home to take to dinner with a group of us. She's always driven herself from her home, but recent events routed her from home into a facility. One hard part was writing my cell phone number and time that I'd return her for the attendant. Felt like picking up an underage girl at her high school dorm. When we brought her home the door alarm went off - apparently she didn't enter the keypad correctly. The disturbing part was that the attendants just let the alarm continue to blare - as if it didn't matter that this annoying, loud alarm might be disturbing the other inmates.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sneaking away from food also works for me better than trying to ignore it when other folks are indulging.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Your Kartchner Caverns looks like a fun adventure. Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to face your mother's baking.

Penny. – Super Congrats for 18.8 miles on your bike for a first trip in a while.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Writing and monitoring are very important, and if you're like most of the people I've worked with, I think you'll find that the idea of doing them is much more burdensome than the reality.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! It’s getting harder to post in the am since i need to do my stretching then. It gets tough to fit everything in before work etc. But I love to wake up and have my coffee while reading the latest installment so i’ll have to figure something out.
Yesterday I walked around 2 craft fairs with a friend, which seemed like decent exercise since it wore me out. I indulged in a hamburger but that is it. Since i don’t have a grill, it definitely was a treat. I love these town festivals, and this one had decent items. I emerged with a few Christmas presents, and a large beautiful ceramic fruit bowl for myself. We left before we overbought. When I’m in the mood to buy, its hard to rein it in!

Beth- congrats on the closing! That is so exciting.
Bill- ah, barbecue. Sorry it was disappointing, i know what you mean about anticipating it.
Penny-good for you for joining a bicycling club, and how fun its just women. I’m just doing a stationary bike at home, but maybe next spring i will venture out.
Karen- hope you’re having a great visit. Washington state is on my bucket list!
Siverbirch-Fun reading about your decluttering job. Sadly around here some of the grocery store have decent bakeries which doesn’t help with resisting temptation!
Gardenerjoy- hope the no snack day went well. You too are always up to interesting things!
Maryann - hope things are going better. I had a haircut too, I always enjoy the bustling around of my salon.

Last edited by curlyjax; 09-16-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #89  
Green Tomatoes

No-snack day worked, but I was hungrier than I want to be. On a less busy day, that could trigger overeating, so I think I'll stick to my norm of meals and snacks spaced out so that I'm never very hungry for very long.

Credits:
  • posted forty-seven days in a row
  • achieved the mid-point of my exercise goal at the mid-point of the month
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +30, 600/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #90  

Good morning!

My social dinner out went well. It was a Japanese place and I just had sashimi and an iced tea. One hiccup was that we could not make a reservation for a party fewer than eight and the wait time was 1:45. We ended up walking to a bar and getting a drink. I could have gotten somethibg no cal and stuck to my plan but got a gin and tonic. All said and done, my daily calories were still within range.

Beth, good luck avoiding the baked goods.

Bill, that sounds like some false advertising for the bbq! Ha! Hot dogs. Cool that your car was featured in the show.

Joy, kudos for meeting your exercise minutes for the halfway point.

Curly, credit for doing the PT stuff. I hope you can still find time for the coffee and 3fc. It's my morning meditation.
Closed Thread