3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/315905-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-september-2018-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

bethturnaround 09-06-2018 12:19 AM

Hi everyone!

I stuck with my 5 product plan today. My after work meeting meant I didn't get any exercise in. I considered walking to the library to return some of DD's books, but it was starting to rain, so I stayed home and did practical stuff.

curlyjax: I use Optifast, which is only available through medical providers, since it's a VLCD (800 calories per day). This hasn't been a cheap program, but I think it's been worth it, for the improvements in my health. There are other meal replacement programs and products, though. I currently am mostly on 3 products a day plus one meal, but this is at least the 3rd time I've gone to several days of 5 products a day after messing up my eating.

Tomorrow we can only have dinner if I go grocery shopping or create a new dinner plan. I haven't gone shopping since we got home so I can't make what's planned. (I haven't cooked this week--DH has been on his own. He doesn't appear to have wasted away.)

joy: Credit for keeping up your streak--you're doing great with that.

penny: What is it with muffins? That's what spurred my Monday night derailment.

BillBlueEyes: I love voting, too. I've looked into what we need to do to update our voter registration, since we'll be moving between now and election day. As long as we update our registration by early October, we can still vote in November from our new address.

silverbirch: Bread is one of those things I love--and is not permitted on the low-carb plan I'm following. I am mentally adjusting to "no bread"--although I am looking for alternative ways to make pizza crust and grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm going to try cauliflower (a common substitute) (I've never liked cauliflower but I'm willing to give it another shot) I've read about chicken crust for pizza as well as using zucchini for "bread" for grilled cheese. Experimentation is in my future!

G'ngiht all!

--Beth

silverbirch 09-06-2018 03:20 AM

Nice to see the sun again yesterday. Autumn is on its way.
  • Credit - worked through the list of little jobs. It's always good to see what a difference it makes.
  • Exercise - none because my foot is still swollen and I'm limping. I'm seeing my trainer/fixer on Sunday morning.
  • Yesterday's food - a little better so it's going in the right direction.
  • Lessons for the future - keep working on the little things.
Beth, I love a bit of experimentation.

Joy, credit for posting. Good for me to hear that other people have weird days too.

Penny, I sometimes have success with cutting the tomatoes off (leaving them on a bit of vine) and laying them on a sunny windowsill. This has worked better for me than the method of putting green ones in a paper bag with red ones (or a banana).

curlyjax, great that you've found a new PT for your hip.

Bill, interesting to hear about your voting system. We have tellers from political parties who check you off their lists as you enter (you don't have to engage with them if you don't want to but as everyone knows everyone in this area it's only polite to have a chat). The purpose is to be able to offer you a lift if you said you'd vote for them and you haven't turned up as time is running out. Then there are two people who work in the local council who check and crosscheck and give you your ballot paper. And we're still just putting our ballot papers in the ballot box. No machines here.

BillBlueEyes 09-06-2018 06:41 AM

Thursday - Maya/Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar starts (3114 BC in Julian Calendar)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the (2 yr 11 mo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Excitement was picking up several books at the library's sing-along for kids. She chose one she'd tired of reading some months ago (and returned to the library) and immediately insisted on it being read to her as we drove. Treated it like an old friend. When playing she noted each pretend event with a time, "Be home by 1 o'clock ... get up at 10 o'clock" even though she has no concept of time of day and only a weak concept of how long an hour is. The standard threat, "We leave in five minutes" is only interpreted as 'not yet.' One more time I'm confronted that learning by young kids is done by imitation long before it has meaning.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to an evening event where a woman discussed her experience renting a room in her house to a sociopath. Just terrifying. Massachusetts has very generous laws protecting tenants. It takes a minimum of 8 months to get a person out of an apartment/house after they've stopped paying rent. Because of this, there has evolved a very small group of people who move from one place to the next every 8 months. The system can (or won't) do anything to stop them. The good news is that snacking doesn't happen when I'm busy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – You do seem to accumulate your share of weird days.

silverbirch – Always glad to hear when Wales gets sunshine. I, too, rather like our antiquated paper ballot system. There are usually a few neighbors to greet and the ladies checking the lists are recognized from previous years even though I don't know them. I did receive one phone call from a politician's office reminding me to vote after I got home.

curlyjax – Kudos for resisting the muffins at work - not diluted by later actions! Hope your choir works out.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for doing "practical stuff" - else it just grows and grows.

Penny. – Kudos for making the decision to have a no calorie beverage in advance. That's making Beck Strategies work.

Readers -
Quote:

day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques
If you're still tempted to eat something you shouldn't after you've done all five mindset techniques, then try as many of the behavioral techniques below as you need: . . .

3. Relax. You can teach your body how to relax in a variety of ways. Your library or bookstore has tapes and books on relaxation techniques. One simple relaxation technique involves focusing on your breathing. Breath in and out of your nose, slowly counting to four as you inhale and again to four as you exhale. Use very shallow breaths; don't let you chest rise and fall. Set a timer and keep up this technique for a full three minutes. At the end of the three minutes, you should feel calmer and move in control of your cravings.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 131.

curlyjax 09-06-2018 07:35 AM

I did terribly yesterday. There are way too many free muffins lurking around and I have indulged. I am going to read my cards today and get back on track. I get bored and then depressed at work or i'm really sleepy and want a little sugar to wake me up. I do better at home -except i brought some home and got into them.
The choir was great! About 80 people showed up, and it was only advertised thru Facebook. Its a little creepy, that an event pops up on your Facebook and draws people in, but it did work to get the word out. I'm going to have to practice to stay in tune, but its so fun to sing with a group.
PT was good- although the guy is so young, I'm a little uncomfortable with a buff young man handling me! Feel like i'm attending to myself finally.

Bill- wow, that is a scary story! It's a good way to supplement your income but there are some downsides!
Silverbirch-good luck with swollen foot, that sounds painful.
Beth- thanks for the info. you have been so successful with it, i'm so impressed!!
Penny- what a fun thing to do, poetry reading in an art gallery!
Joy- hope today is less wierd!

gardenerjoy 09-06-2018 10:27 AM

I'm expecting a less weird day. Less than ideal, though, with a lack of sleep combined with a list that has too many things that I really want done today. So, what will make it easier, self? Writing a food plan so that I can follow it without thinking, and so that I have a realistic understanding of the kitchen chores. DONE!

Credits:
  • posted thirty-seven days in a row

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +40, 210/1200 minutes for September

Penny. 09-06-2018 11:15 AM

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with eating, finished the brain powered weight loss book, which was pretty good, and weigh-in was just 0.2 pounds above my low. Still plateaued on day 14. lol

A bit of serendipity the other day, when I had vowed to get more water in. My neighbor stopped me on the way out to give me a case of sparkling water. His son works for the company. Zero calories and zero sodium, it's good!

Today is going to be a major food prep and house cleaning day.

Bill, it sounds like an eventful day. Credit for no snacking.

Beth, the system sounds like it has been working well. Before I read Beck, I was moving toward eating the same/similar things each day. There is something to be said for taking the guesswork out of our daily food routine.

Curly, the poetry reading reminded me how impressed I am when a writer can convey a story in as few words as a haiku, and how incredible it is that someone can read several pages of poetry and leave me completely disconnected without context. Unfortunately, the evening was full of the latter. ;)

How fun to join a choir! I have thought about doing that.

Silver, the foot injury does not sound good. Has it been scanned? I looked up green tomato recipes and see the end of year green tomato harvest is standard. My plants have preveously been so puny I've picked them clean well before end of season. I'm improving my green thumb year by year.

Gardenerjoy, have a great day! credit for making a plan you can commit to.

bethturnaround 09-06-2018 11:01 PM

Hi everyone.

Today was my third 5-product day. Tomorrow I plan on making dinner. I actually kind of miss the 'all product' regimen. It left me lots of free time since I wasn't shopping or cooking. Now I need to fit them both in. I'll manage dinner with what's in the house, somehow, and then Saturday morning, DD and her girlfriend and I are going to the Farmer's Market. They'll wander off to do whatever it is they want to do and I'll do the grocery shopping.

DD conveniently left her library books in the "landing spot" in the kitchen where things go on their way out of the house (or into the house), so I walked them to the library tonight. I'm definitely getting my walking in.

I'm realizing that although posting at night works for me, reading my cards and my diet book earlier in the day works better. I'm going to have to figure out how to work that in, especially doing the cards early. They aren't as useful in the evening. The book could probably wait, but I need to make time for cards in the morning, and if we're going out, again in the late afternoon. I have them all on a web page now, which makes it easier to go through them--I can click through them and they come up randomly. Beth's cards

I have some challenges coming up this weekend:
  1. ​​​​​​​A games party at a friend's house where there will be Chinese (probably) for dinner. I'll need to bring something I can eat--they all know I'm dieting and will be understanding if I pack my own food
  2. DD's girlfriend is visiting this weekend and she'd like us to spend some time with her and get to know her better. We're fine with that, but that generally means a meal, and that likely means an extra 'real food' and one fewer product, and that's a challenge
  3. My dad is in town this weekend and we're getting together on Sunday, which is likely to be a meal out.
I can handle these--but I need to be sure to have a plan each morning on how I'm going to handle the day. At least with dad, I'm local and he's not, so I get to pick the restaurant :-). Or, I could plan things to eat at my house and make something--perhaps that's better, if we don't end up going out to my uncle's house. Details. With DD's girlfriend, perhaps we could limit food and hang out playing board games--still spending time socializing but without as much food. I shall figure it out--and DD is totally supportive of whatever I need to do to stay OP.

Penny: I'm sorry you're dealing with a plateau. Can you identify anything you might be able to change to shake things up a bit?

Joy: Credit for writing your food plan--that does make such a difference.

curlyjax: The choir sounds fantastic. Social media really has changed how we gather, hasn't it?

BillBlueEyes: I have a watch (version) that I've worn for 25 years (I've gone through a bunch of them) that has a countdown timer. When the kids were small, I'd give a 5 minute warning and then set it to beep in 5 minutes. They learned how long 5 minutes was. It was funny--they never argued with the watch. It's wonderful how you DGD is figuring out the world!

silverbirch: I'm sorry you're dealing with a sore foot. I hope you get some relief soon.

G'night, all!

--Beth

http://health.bweiss.com/cardimages/...e%20muscle.JPG

silverbirch 09-07-2018 03:26 AM

I've mended the printer so I'm very pleased about that. I also had a good go at mending a light but decided in the end that it had to be condemned. I'm going to the tip (aka recycling centre) this morning with it, some cable and an old double glazing unit. It's on my way to run errands in a nearby small town so I'm feeling rather streamlined about this. Things are slowly starting to level out here, thank goodness. All in good time.

Credit for working methodically through what has to be done.
Food - not bad. Still have to eradicate bread which has only recently crept back in.
Exercise - carried heavy weights to the car (some distance away) but nothing else.
Lessons for the future - keep on going.

Beth, credit for getting to the library again. They'll be offering you a job there soon!

Penny, love the water serendipity! My foot is part of a bio-mechanical problem that's in hand. I'm seeing my trainer/fixer on Sunday morning.

Joy, joining you in lack of sleep. Mine was caused by not having the window open last night.

curlyjax, credit for getting through the PT with a buff young man! It reminds me of when my mother slipped in the street a few years ago and had rehab physios coming in. The first one was a young man to help her in the shower. She was about 90. Bit the bullet and stripped off. It made everyone laugh, and feel quite impressed.

Bill, so snacking doesn't happen when you're busy. That's a good finding. I think it doesn't happen when I'm busy on a big task but does when I'm busy with small tasks. It's the transition that gardenerjoy and I have talked about that's the problem.

BillBlueEyes 09-07-2018 07:03 AM

Friday - The town of Trimountaine in Massachusetts is renamed Boston (1630)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the library to return several DGD books. DW now insists that the DGD books fit into one crate in our dining room. My job is to manage the list in the library system database getting books returned on time. DW's job is to predict which books the DGD is tired of reading. Both of us continuously scout for new books. As much as the DGD likes to 'read' her books to us, she does not tolerate a book that tries to teach reading. I like that. At this age, reading is fun, not about being taught. Verified on the phone with my DD that yes, the DGD has, indeed, started adding "at 6 o'clock" to tales without a clue about what time means. Have to remind myself to ask my DD if they intend to teach her about the analog clock. They might not have one in their house, LOL. Maybe that'll be a grandparents' job - learn about ancient times.

DW has abandoned me for four days as she and a friend go botanizing a bit. They can spend 12 hours a day in the botanical gardens of the world - a bit more than I can last. So dinner last night was mine to prepare and eat. I had cold leftover grilled salmon and a MONSTER salad - to compensate for no 'starch' and no veggie. I'm happy with a simple meal; DW not so much. She has to plate a protein, a starch, and a veggie with a salad on the side. It's kept me healthy for years, so I have no complaint. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks. I'm taking inordinate glee that scale wiggle was down this morning.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL that you now have to consider "a less weird day" as part of your life.

silverbirch – Congrats for taking more stuff to the tip. And Super Congrats for fixing your printer. Glad that you're experiencing some leveling out.

curlyjax – Yay for accepting a buff young man handling you. Kudos for setting your sights on getting back on track after the muffins.

Beth (bethturnaround) – It is interesting that your all product regime was easier. I think it neat that your DD wants you to get to know her GF better - seems like a sign of good relations all around. [Neat idea, I'll consider that tip of using my watch as a five-minute timer.]

Penny. – Yay for a gift of a case of sparkling water to inspire you to keep better hydrated.

Readers -
Quote:

day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques
If you're still tempted to eat something you shouldn't after you've done all five mindset techniques, then try as many of the behavioral techniques below as you need: . . .

4. Distract yourself. Do you remember a time when a natural distraction interrupted your craving and you later were glad you hadn't eaten? Maybe a friend called, the dog insisted on taking you for a a walk, or your boss came to discuss something with you? By the time you finished what you had to do, your craving had weakened or passed. You focused your attention on something else.

Penny. 09-07-2018 10:24 AM

Good morning!

Well, it's finally happened. One pound down, 0.8 pounds past the previous low, and a new decade. I may see the number float back up but, at least the plateau days have been reset to zero. :high:

I need a new diet book. Beth's idea of reading a little each day is very helpful!
My non diet reading last night was starting in on this massive collection of Voltaire. It was something like $2 for the Kindle edition on amazon. His name has come up often enough in books I have read, I thought it time I checked out his works and I'm enjoying his wit!

Have a great day, everyone.

gardenerjoy 09-07-2018 11:25 AM

My salad-as-a-snack habit disappeared a few days ago. I'm going to make sure to bring that back today. It's a good one!

Today's a big day in my fall project -- today, I open up our virtual work space and invite people in to look around. I'm hoping every one likes it and, even more, gets it! I worry that it will be obtuse and frustrating for people who have never used the application or used it in a different way than how I set it up.

Credits:
  • posted thirty-eight days in a row
Weigh-in: -0.3 kgs, Exercise: +35, 245/1200 minutes for September

bethturnaround 09-07-2018 09:00 PM

Posting a little early tonight.

There was almost no food in our refrigerator. I had to toss the lettuce and the mushrooms. Ended up making scrambled eggs with chicken, zucchini, and a tiny bit of red pepper (since that's all there was). We do have plenty of fresh tomatoes (as in from DD's grandmother's) so we had fresh tomatoes with melted mozzarella cheese, and the very last of the almost-too-far-gone blueberries.

Fortunately, tomorrow is the Farmers Market and we can replenish the produce. I've planned out the meals for the week so I can go grocery shopping afterwards.

I knew tomorrow would be challenging because of events but I have a plan:
Farmers Market in the morning
Brunch out -- I'll order eggs and bacon, which I never seem to get tired of, and allow myself 1 pancake. For the 1 pancake, I actually tell them to only bring me 1 even if the meal comes with more. I can't eat it if it's not on the table.
Games afternoon/night: I'll bring product for myself since I'll have had a real food meal already. I'll opt out of the Chinese people usually get

I feel good about this plan--it's do-able and makes a lot of sense.

Exercise was a nice walk tonight--and I talked to DS during most of it--we had a good chat.

Penny: My current book is "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung.

G'night all!

--Beth

http://health.bweiss.com/cardimages/...20planning.JPG

BillBlueEyes 09-08-2018 07:27 AM

Saturday - International Literacy Day (since 1965, UNESCO)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, accomplished a bunch of need-to-do errands: Got a new prescription for glasses since the ones I'm wearing (first I've ever worn) have seriously flaking coating that makes them hard to see through. The doctor suggested a different vendor since the coating on mine wasn't the best quality. Ouch. I walked directly to order the new pair. Naturally when I said I wanted frames "just like these" there is no such thing. Made a choice. Then made it to a bookstore that uses Paige M. Gutenborg to print a book as I stood and watched in awe as my friend's limited interest small book appeared before my eyes like magic. It tweaked my geek big time. First there was no book. Then there was a book right in my hands - was warm like it just came out of the oven. Color me an admirer big time.

Continued walking past some of the best sandwich shops and food trucks around. But realized that I was being drawn to the volume of food that they all produced for the student population - about my day's allocation of calories. So, CREDIT moi, I made my way home to the lunch that I'd planned thus contributing to an onplan day. Dinner, alone, was some leftover stuff with a HUGE green salad piled high in a serving bowl. Etiquette is adjusted for bachelor quarters. I watered the plants that I'd been assigned to water while the gardener is away. The set of dinosaurs ordered for the DGD's birthday arrived. They're super cool. I've lined them up on the dining room table for DW's viewing pleasure. I'm already jealous. Have to consider whether an adult can have their own set of dinosaurs.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Are you still getting salad stuff from your garden? We still have cherry tomatoes and those few green large tomatoes.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Tossing food is so hard for me but it's impossible to both buy lettuce and have a life and not sometimes let it spoil. Cherish those last blueberries.

Penny. – Congrats for breaking your long plateau and for never getting discouraged. Be wary of reading Voltaire - you may find some cynicism, to wit: "The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease."

Readers -
Quote:

day 13 Overcome Cravings
When you experience a craving
because you see or smell food, move the food
to an inconvenient place or get rid of it - or

remove yourself from the scene.

karenrn 09-08-2018 09:39 AM

Good morning coaches,

I've been moving around a bit and not always with my computer, so it's a little hard to post. I'm now in Tacoma until Wednesday, so I might be a more regular poster for a few days. I was in Seattle for a couple of days had had some nice walks on the West Seattle waterfront. Yesterday a great hike to Packwood Lake up by Mt. Rainier and the weather was perfect. It has rained overnight, which is much needed, so we'll see what the day brings. Food has been unplanned and probably too much. I'm hoping for a few good days here and then my backpack and then more traveling. The friend I am staying with is a Weight Watcher, so I really have no excuses while I'm here.

I hope to get back to personals later.

Karen

gardenerjoy 09-08-2018 10:34 AM

I did not have a good eating day yesterday. Procrastination is a trigger. It's related to the problem with transitions that silverbirch and I have been identifying, but more intense. When the next thing on my to-do list is something that I want done, but don't want to do, the transition is even more difficult than usual. Yesterday, I decided to procrastinate one thing by doing a different thing on my list -- run errands, which put me right in the path of off-plan foods.

I wish it were as easy as "do the thing." Sometimes, it is. But, sometimes, I need to be more intentional about self-care around a to-do item that is causing some kind of fear and angst. Because if I'm not dealing with those feeling in some way (beyond identifying them, because I got that far yesterday), then eating a treat is going to look like self-care.

Credits:
  • posted thirty-nine days in a row
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +30, 275/1200 minutes for September