Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #16  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning, all!

Yesterday was on plan with eating, I got a very good walk in and enjoyed more of the Brain Powered Weight loss book. It was another plateau day with weight, day 11, and I'd hate to think 12-1300 cals per day is maintenance. It's only 11 days, though. No need to get excited. <----- I did not know 3fc had a Homer. Though, my reaction to my weighy this morning is more like a Marge grimace.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

It's probably time to accept that a half sandwich is the appropriate serving-size for me, even at home. For some reason, I resent that change more than many others. I've been eating half sandwiches, mostly, for weeks. I had a whole one for supper last night and woke up full, bloated, and with an uptick on the scale.

For the holiday, I'll have something hot and spicy off the grill and something cold and frosty from the fridge, but I'll keep the serving sizes small so that it fits well in the overall plan. I have it all written and, now, all I need to do is follow it!

Credits:
  • posted thirty-four days in a row
Weigh-in: +0.35 kgs, Exercise: +55, 85/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #18  
Green Tomatoes

BillBlueEyes: While we walked today, I talked to DH about your snow blower. He loves small motors.

You can use TruFuel or a similar ethanol-free gasoline, but it's expensive. https://www.amazon.com/TruFuel-4-Cyc.../dp/B009QT1KLO
It might be cheaper at your local hardware store. It comes in 2-cycle and 4-cycle formulations, but we're assuming your snow blower is 4-cycle.

An alternative is to use pump gas and a good, marine-grade, fuel stabilizer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G11GOA

In either case, it's best to empty the gas during the off-season, to the extent possible. If you can completely drain it (put the excess gas in someone's car), that's best. If not that, there's likely a shut-off to stop the gas from flowing to the carburetor. Use that and, then, run the motor until it runs dry which will empty the gas from the carburetor.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/165/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Evening Coaches,

It was a day to get into action and get out of myself. I did some networking with people going through similar situations as myself. That really helped. I also made a concerted effort to clean part of the garage and cleared out old food in the pantry. Keeping busy and productive is my goal. I like looking at the newly tidy spaces. All in all, in my one day at a time philosophy, I had a great day.

Ticker hit a new low of 154. My focus again for dinner is to get healthy food in me. I have to adjust to the "new" me. I no longer have to limit myself, rather think what sounds good and healthy.

Curleyjax: thanks for reminding me I love the fall.
gardenerjoy: credit for that awareness of what works for you.
silverbirch: exciting to get to quote for decluttering.
BBE: Pretty thrilling to eat your own harvest. I pick some pears that are out of this world.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #20  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Got off of our flight 3.5 hours late (which meant midnight) so it's a late night for us.

Food--I was doing fine until our flight got delayed 2 hours--and then just totally lost it--made bad choice after bad choices--sweets, salty...However, it is 1:07 am on Tuesday, September 4th and I am back on plan right now. I had some disordered thinking (I'll get back OP tomorrow) and that did more damage, even as I reminded myself that extra calories count and stopping now is better than continuing. Not so successful at that--but I am done with it and feeling back in control.

Exercise today was 7 hours at the MET!!!!! It was wonderful. We went on two different educator led tours--two different people--and they were both amazing. I learned so much. I spent a total of 10 hours at the Met this trip--and it was insufficient. I can't wait to go back! In the meantime, I'll plan an Art Institute of Chicago trip with DD--we're both members and the Art Institute is open late on Thursdays. DS is now a member of the Met--the way the numbers worked, and the 20% discount on my purchases (yeah, went overboard), it saved me money to buy him a membership. OTH, I have DH's daughter's birthday present, I have the two white elephant gifts I'll need for the company holiday party, a present for DH, and a poster (which I'll frame) for my office in the new house.

No beating myself up--today's food sucked--but I am back on plan as of NOW.

--Beth

Old 09-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #21  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Another quiet day yesterday. I mended an old light and realised that the printer may be broken. I'll try to mend that today.
  • Yesterday's credit - some cleaning in the bedroom.
  • Yesterday's exercise - flexibility, foot and resistance exercises. Had to give up halfway through the resistance as I was completely shattered. Not sure what's happening there but my foot tells me that all is not right with the rest of my body. Will see trainer/fixer next week.
  • Yesterday's food - not too bad but more work definitely needed. I managed to have salad for lunch again. Would be good to get back into that. I didn't have toast mid-morning (as per yesterday's lessons for the future) and did have a piece of fruit and some protein. Unfortunately I then had a couple of pieces of bread. I'm not sure what's happening here. Some of it is the usual post exercise hunger; some is probably boredom.
  • Lessons for the future - work out some way of breaking boredom. Perhaps a quick walk outside would do it.
Beth, what a great holiday!

maryann, sorry to hear about your health challenges. Getting healthy food inside you sounds like a great aim.

gardenerjoy, would it help to reframe the 'half sandwich' as a 'small sandwich' or something else?

Penny, on plan is good. Credit.

curlyjax, I love this time of year too.

Bill, so nice to hear about your tomatoes. I've given up growing them until I have a greenhouse.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - English astronomer Edmond Halley observes the comet named after him (1682)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the hardware store to see if they sold ethanol-free gas for my snowblower. Yes, but only for 2-cycle engines when mine is 4-cycle. I know it's sold at Home Depot, but I liked the idea of being able to walk to get it during a raging blizzard when the roads were blocked. Naturally, I stopped at the bookstore to identify a dozen books that I've not read. And watched the young couple with a pre-crawling baby gathering books in the kids section. Those parents got it right; that's one lucky kid.

Eating was on plan including no snacks, CREDIT moi, with a slab tomato sandwich for lunch. It's close to the last. There are some pink tomatoes on the vines, but not all pink tomatoes come through after September falls. They just know!

Joy (gardenerjoy) This business of needing less food as we grow older is just the pits. Maybe the trick is to buy smaller bread so that a whole sandwich becomes the right size. Thanks for the info on gas for my snowblower. Running the snowblower dry is one of the big steps that we've missed. The instructions say to run it dry if the next snow will be further than 30 days in the future. Predicting snow is a bit tough, or as Yogi Berra says, "Particularly into the future."

silverbirch It's neat to remember that even a short walk can reset the old brain.

maryann Neat that you go networking to get your thoughts in order. Thanks for the reminder that pears are in our future.

curlyjax LOL that "Crazy Rich Asians" triggered a craving for Chinese food. Maybe it's a conspiracy. Yay for having a DS who's willing to eat healthy food so long as pizza and tacos are included as side dishes.

Beth (bethturnaround) Love, Love, Love reading that you so thoroughly did the MET. Naturally, makes me want to head right down there and sign up for docent tours. On the other hand, The Art Institute of Chicago is no small thing to have as a backup. Kudos for getting right back in the saddle.

Penny. Yep, plateaus seem to last forever - keep the faith. Do you start up your home-schooling today?

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques
If you're still tempted to eat something you shouldn't after you've done all five mindset techniques, then try as many of the behavioral techniques below as you need:

1. Distance yourself from the food you crave. When you experience a craving because you see or smell food, you might be able to move that food to an inconvenient place (where you can't see it) or to get rid of it (give it away, throw it away, or put it down the disposal).

If you can't remove the food from your immediate presence, you might be able to remove yourself from the scene. Leave the room, go to another part of the room, go to the restroom (and read your Response Cards), or go outside.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 131.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

I seem to be retaining fluids. And, not coincidentally, drinking too little water. Fixing that is today's main focus.

Credits:
  • posted thirty-five days in a row
  • reached one-tenth of my exercise goal, one-tenth of the way through the month
Weigh-in: +0.2 kgs, Exercise: +35, 120/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #24  

Good morning!

I'm feeling sluggish this morning. Calories were on plan yesterday, no exercise after work, and weight not only plateaued but jumped back up nearly two pounds this morning. Mmmkay.

Tonight I am attending a poetry reading at a local art gallery. A friend is showing her work there right now so I get to see her paintings and hear poetry. Bonus!

Beth, 10 hours of the MET!!? Wow! Your steps and sore feet must have been off the charts! It sounds wonderful.

Bill, I have a lot of green tomatoes on my plants. Sad to think they might stay green.

We don't do a formal school at home, so we all basically do our own thing year-round. Every once in a while I have a freak out, worried they are falling behind, and supplement in a specific subject to study. Ie, I did a state school testing at home, just to see how they were faring and, without much teaching, their language arts and reading comprehension was 80 to 90th percentile but math was abysmal.

They all did the Kahn academy online and caught up within a month or so.

Silver, as I tell my kids (and myself) boredom just means you've finished one thing and haven't decided what to do next. Good luck with fixing the printer.

Gardenerjoy, I'll be joining you in your efforts to drink more water today. I think I'm puffy today too.

Maryann, kudos for the new low weight!
Old 09-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #25  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I'm back home and getting back into my routine. After yesterday's binging on snacks and sweets (all between 7 pm and 1 am), today has been a 5 product day and tomorrow will be, too. I know it'd be better if I didn't have a total fail of my plan, but it was 5 hours of one day--and I am back on track. It is easier to stay on track and get back on track, though. My traitorous mind reminds me that I had chocolate covered raisins yesterday and why can't I have them today. My giving in muscle got too much exercise and is getting cocky. Chocolate covered raisins do not serve me. And I'm not even totally sure I enjoyed them. (I won't even go into the rest of the things I ate last night that were off plan)

Exercise tonight was a walk to the library to return a book I wasn't really enjoying (Fat Chance) and pick up The Obesity Code, which I started tonight and am finding quite interesting.

I have an after work meeting tomorrow, so it'll be hard to get a walk in. Unfortunately, that after work meeting means I need to work from home. Our AC is out and it's 90 degrees out--I'd rather go into the office tomorrow but then I couldn't get to the after work meeting due to transportation conflicts. However, I feel strong about avoiding food at the meeting and having 5 products tomorrow to get me back on track (and my weight back to 168 instead of 172). I have to stop losing control when I travel. I travel too often to derail myself every time I do.

--Beth
Old 09-05-2018, 03:05 AM   #26  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Yesterday's gloom turned into a bright day, quite hot out of the wind. We are all ready for today which includes back to school for the DB and a dental appointment for me. I didn't get to the printer so I'll see if I can find some time to look at it today.
  • Yesterday's credit - moved forward a little with the decluttering business.
  • Yesterday's exercise - some flexibility work but my foot is a little swollen and I'm limping. I'm trying to bring next week's appointment with my trainer/fixer forward.
  • Yesterday's food - a little better but not great.
  • Lessons for the future - consider stopping eating bread. I'm not sure why I've started again but it doesn't do my any good.
Beth, credit for getting back on track.

Penny, have you ever made green tomato chutney? Credit for posting here.

Joy, credit for posting so regularly.

Bill, credit for walking about.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Southern blacks led by Pap Singleton settle in Kansas (1877)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Just another dinner on the patio with home-grown tomato salad and grilled salmon. Just savoring the comfortable transition weather. No snacks made it an on plan day.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to vote. I love voting. At our poll place, elderly ladies carefully checked me off the list to hand me a ballot. Then another set of elderly ladies checked me off their list to accept my completed ballot. It gladdens my heart to see these guys picking up a few dollars of egg-money while keeping the democratic system chugging along. DW had a funny experience. She felt negative about one candidate who had no opponent, so she put a single dot within his oval. The machine rejected her ballot as "ambiguous" - correctly interpreting her feelings but, also correctly, noting that votes must be blank or the oval must be fully filled in. She had to take it back and fill in the entire oval for a guy who is a third generation politician with expectations of being elected and doing little just like dad and granddad. Tip O'Neill famously said, "All politics is local," and we haven't fixed local politics around here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) I don't get it why drinking less makes one bloated even though I've experienced that same thing many times.

silverbirch Yay for moving your decluttering business forward - even if just a little. Bread is addictive, that's for sure.

Beth (bethturnaround) LOL at "My giving in muscle got too much exercise and is getting cocky." Hope you survive working in 90 degree F temps.

Penny. Terrific notion, "boredom just means you've finished one thing and haven't decided what to do next." Neat that your kids propel themselves along in their studies.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques
If you're still tempted to eat something you shouldn't after you've done all five mindset techniques, then try as many of the behavioral techniques below as you need: . . .

2. Drink a no- or low-calorie beverage. Thirst can mask as hunger and trigger you to eat. Consider drinking club soda, water with lemon, diluted juice (if your plan allows it), or another low-calorie drink.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 131.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Credit yesterday for resisting huge muffins at work. I brought some home for DS- and then ate one myself for dessert. Ah well, back on track.
Today I am starting PT again at a much better place and look forward to some more ideas to strengthen and stretch my hip. I need more concrete instruction so this will be great.
I'm also starting something new tonight- a new no audition choir. I will check it out and see how it goes!

Beth- what line of products do you use? Can you just pick it up at the drugstore?Sometimes I think I would be do better doing that once a week and not think about food at all.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #29  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, and I got the shopping done and meals figured out for the next few days.

We took public transportation into the city for a poetry reading at a friend's show in an art gallery. Credit to myself for immediately thinking I'd just get a no calorie beverage if dh and dd wanted to stop somewhere. We ended up not stopping anywhere else.

Weight is still hovering above my low.

Silver, I'll have to look into the green tomato chutney. They do look like they might be getting a hint of color now. I'm glad your day turned out nice.

Bill, only my very first voting experience at 18 was at the polls like that. We've had mail-in for a long time, when people talk about going to vote it sounds so quaint/antiquated. credit for getting that done and staying on plan.

Curly, I almost bought a package of those giant muffins yesterday. I sometimes try to eat vicariously through my kids, but I'm trying to curb that. Haha! I'm getting some negative feedback for going back to whole grain loaves of bread.

Beth, credit for getting right back on plan!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #30  
Green Tomatoes

I had a weird day, but I don't want to break my streak of posting.

Credits:
  • posted thirty-six days in a row
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +35, 155/1200 minutes for September
Closed Thread