Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #151  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Forgot to weigh this morning. "Oh well" for messing up my streak. It means I get the excitement of starting over again.

Yesterday's supper was probably more calories than I intended because I didn't come home hungry from the meeting. I've got a good plan for today.

Credits:
  • starting again at 0 days in a row of daily weights
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +15, 1075/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #152  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I am having a little trouble really getting back in the swing of things, but I think getting to the gym this morning helped. I really do like to have a routine, but this week has been a little messed up from taking care of some appointments I needed after being gone like my hair, Otis's groomers and an oil change for the car. I think I'm all caught up on those things and now need to get a little housework done in the few days before my brother and sister in law arrive. I also was not careful enough with what I was eating. I need to focus on that and get a few recipes in mind for our upcoming company. They all like to eat healthy too.
Last night I went to a presentation at REI about a Trans Sierra hike. Very similar to the High Sierra Trail I plan to backpack next summer, but they start a little further north at a trailhead called Sugarloaf. It would certainly be an option if I am unable to find someone who wants to go with me. Of course it costs more than doing it myself, but they do provide some transportation, food and safety. I think the thing I liked the best about the presentation is that it got me feeling motivated to work hard to stay in shape and get in better shape.

GardenerJoy I can't believe how busy you are. I would like to find a few things to be involved in, but I am commitment phobic for fear it will interfere with company, hikes, etc. I should be in that "Generativity and Giving Back" stage . . . but I'm still very selfish with my time.
Penny Glad you're feeling good and have a bike ride scheduled. I just love having active times with friends.
Bill For me the more time I have on my hands (boredom) the worse the snacking becomes. It will soon be cool enough to hike any time of the day and that will be helpful.
Beth Congratulations on going down so many sizes. That is just awesome!
Maryann I am so proud of your sister in law too. What an accomplishment. I hope I can add my name to those who have conquered Mt. Whitney, next year. I hope this week was just the start of your feeling better.

Time to get in the shower and get on with the day.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #153  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

I'm almost through day 1 of our Mensa event--and there is food everywhere, including unbelievable amounts of homemade treats. I haven't had any because I know that if I start I won't stop. So, I had 5 products today and that was the right choice for me.

Tomorrow, I'll get up and go for a walk--I really feel like I want to move--just walking back and forth from my room to the event space makes me wish I were moving more, so I'm sure I'll enjoy my walk tomorrow. Not sure where I'll walk to--perhaps just 20 minutes in some direction or another and then turn around and come back.

My plans is 5 products tomorrow as well and then one treat at the late night event. I wasn't going to have even that, but one of my friends makes the best carrot cake I have ever had--it really is that special of a treat--and she made it for this event. If I have one later in the evening then I should be able to stop with that--and it'll be at the end of the day so I can't go too far off kilter. Morning resets everything. If I have trouble, I'll get DH to take me to our room to get through it. Am I rationalizing?

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #154  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - John D. Rockefeller becomes the world's first billionaire (1916)

Diet Coaches/Buddies The movie, Crazy Rich Asians, just blew my mind. It wasn't anything I expected - mainly because I had no expectations except that it received a ton of reviews, none of which I'd read. But we went. The plot is a predictable, uber shallow, chick flick plot. But the scenery of Singapore and the houses and the clothes were beyond over the top. Everyone needs to see this movie to recalibrate their financial standing in the world. New York and LA seem lame compared to Singapore. It's now moved up on my Bucket List. A strange aspect of the movie is that it avoided time spent in dense, crowded streets. When the rich played, there were no poor folks gawking. I didn't lose attention - ever. Just meant to be fun. Both of us are glad we went.

I also learned how last century I am. We went to a theater that shows late run movies that we haven't been to in years; senior discount was $8. Didn't expect much. The old ticket counter has been replaced with a row of self check in kiosks. Self check-in for a movie??? We got called over to the concession stand that also had a terminal - perhaps just for the elderly who show up looking confused. I know how to use a computer, but was confused about what was such a big deal. Then the attendant swung the screen around and asked me to choose my seats. There were only several dozen seats; we were headed to one of their small projecting rooms. Were handed numbered seats just like a real theater. We went in to discover that we had HUGE, overstuffed, lounge seats that reclined to near prone with a slight whirring sound using one of two magic buttons. If you don't like the movie, sleeping is easy. The second button returned me to reality after it was over. Welcome to the 21st century.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Always Kudos for a plan for the day.

Karen (karenrn) That Trans Sierra hike sounds like a good option. Neat that your local REI had such events.

Beth (bethturnaround) Super Kudos for rational eating when facing "unbelievable amounts of homemade treats." Neat that you've constructed a plan that allows the special carrot cake while limiting options for going astray.

Penny. Sleep improves everything.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
Let's say you give it a try for a day, a week, or many months. How do you know when you can stop? When you find that you're using the tools in this book consistently - and consistently losing weight - stop planning and see what happens. If you can follow your diet conscientiously, that's great. If not, go back to writing an monitoring for a while.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 138.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #155  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Mornin'

Yesterday was on plan, weight holding, bike ride planned for today.

I picked up my first pair of glasses. After a few weeks of readers, I thought I'd better have an official check-up. The prescription is not very strong and I chose a light blue cat-eye with rhinestones, of course. lol

Karen, planning the next trip is the cure for post-travel depression. Hiking vacations sound like such a great idea!

Bill, I enjoyed that movie too. Aquafina, who played the old roommate friend, was so great.

Beth, kudos for planning ahead for the cake.

Joy, have a great day. I love the attitude about getting the day one weight on the next date.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #156  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a better day with the food plan. This morning I got out for a hike early. It was the easier hike that I do, 4 1/2 miles. It's still a bit warm, 77 when I started and 80 when I finished. After being in cooler temps for over a month, it's harder to get out there when it's still warm. I'll get used to it and it will continue to cool. It felt great to hike and I plan to do lots of it this month. I'm doing a Rim to Rim backpack in the Grand Canyon at the end of the month. My friend's husband will drive us to the North Rim and we'll start there the following day. It will be a leisurely trip with overnights at Cottonwood, Phantom Ranch/Bright Angel campground, Indian Gardens and then out the next day. I just couldn't pass it up since Carrie's husband will take us and pick us up. I just cooked some eggs in the Instant Pot. They'll be done in a few minutes. People on some of my FB sites have been raving about how easily the shells come off and how perfect they turn out. I'll let you know.
Penny, Have a great bike ride. Yes, I pretty much always have some trip in the planning stage, mostly with a backpack or hike so I can't let myself quit. I have lots of them planned for next summer, so I will really have to be on the ball this year.
Bill, You're right the Singapore scenery was something else. I saw the movie twice, which I never do, but another friend wanted to see it. The only time I was in Singapore was a layover on the way to Nepal. I did have a sleeping room at the airport.
Beth, Home made goodies are difficult to pass up for sure. Enjoy the carrot cake. Tomorrow we're going to a former co-workers for dinner and the food is always excellent and there is always too much. Actually we all take something and I'll take a salad.
The eggs just finished. They were a dozen eggs and a cup of water in the instant pot. High pressure for five minutes, slow release for 5 minutes, then quick release and an ice bath. They peeled like a dream and were done perfectly, even dh said so.
Waving to GardenerJoy and Maryann.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #157  
Green Tomatoes

I weighed this morning, but I didn't like the number and I'm not sure why it went up so much. So, I'm not recording the number. I guess the point is that I will eventually get used to fluctuations and they won't impact my mood.

Daily weighing streak: 1, Weigh-in: classified, Exercise: +40, 1115/1200 minutes for September

karenrn: I completely understand being selfish about time. I refuse to tie myself to any kind of gig that expects me to be at a specific time and place every week and never miss (an Oasis tutor, for example -- even though I admire friends who do that). I'm much better with situations that are more flexible.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - 1st Boeing 747 rolls out (1968, Mukilteo, Wash.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walk, CREDIT moi, included a stop at the drugstore for an errand. I went in the evening after dinner when it was fully dark. It looks and feels like a different city. All the commuters and delivery trucks are off the streets. Everyone who's out is out for play.

Eating was OKish; CREDIT moi for that. Dinner was inside because it's now dark here by 7:00 pm. Each time DW grills chicken she uses a different spice but my brain no longer remembers which spice she used.

We're still talking about Crazy Rich Asians. DW told me tales from her early college years when she went out with some rather wealthy guys being forced to confront more wealth than she had seen growing up, for example a penthouse apartment in Manhattan. It so reminded me that the experiences of early college life are mind expanding - in all directions. I remembered that I had been aghast when discussing with a friend what I had room to take home. He didn't have that problem; dad was sending the larger plane. I'd forgotten that story.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Yay for feeling free to reject a scale fluctuation that doesn't match your body.

Karen (karenrn) By coincidence, our neighbors are also planning a Rim to Rim backpack in the Grand Canyon. Might just have to add that to my Bucket List.

Penny. Welcome to the world of wearing glasses - from an old pro of five years. The advice I got was to wash them with running water, light soap, and your fingers. Then enemy is dust and dirt being ground into the coating when wiped dry. We, too enjoyed Aquafina - without knowing who she was in advance. Favorite scene: casually choosing the 1.2 Million dollar earrings. Everybody needs a pair of those.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
If you're having sabotaging thoughts, get ready to write your Response Cards.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't want to write anything down.
Helpful Response: Which is stronger: wanting to lose weight or not wanting to be inconvenienced? Since I do want to lose weight, I'm going to start writing. It'll probably take only five minutes. I have a choice. I can listen to the resistant part of my mind, or I can firmly and decisively decide to do the writing, even through I feel resistant. It's great practice to ignore my resistant feeling because they'll come up again and again when I don't feel like following my eating plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 138.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #159  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, and weight is holding. I did the 20 mile bike ride and as I rolled the final distance back to my car, I gently crash landed with a foot stuck clipped on the pedal. Oops!

My friend and I are discussing a hike together next.

Karen, credit for the hike. Those temps sound lovely to me!

Bill, I don't know if you care for Saturday Night Live, but Aquafina is hosting next week. We have it showing earlier now on the west coast, which has me watching again. I am looking forward to seeing her!
Old 09-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

My weight's up again, but at least I have some explanation now -- muscle soreness from two days of yard work + salty carry-outs. Drinking lots of water, plus light food choices, should fix this pretty quickly.

Daily weighing streak: 2, Weigh-in: classified, Exercise: +75, 1190/1200 minutes for September
Old 09-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #161  

Good morning coaches,

Just back from a hike again this morning. I did the same easier one which doesn't feel as easy as it should. I'm blaming the fact that I'm not used to the heat after being out of it for weeks. It will be cooling down soon. I am still so sore from Crossfit on Friday that I'm not getting on the scale. I know I'm retaining water, just like GardenerJoy. I'm feeling very motivated and I just don't want to see the number. Today we have the gathering with my former co-workers. I am taking a green salad that I found the recipe for on-line. It has grape tomatoes, toasted walnuts, bacon, red onion and goat cheese which I'm swapping out for feta in a smaller amount. I don't know if you know this, but goat cheese smells exactly like goats. I know this because I used to go to Clementine's farm and get goat milk for my infant, who is now 47. He was allergic to cows milk. Clementine sold me the goat's milk for $1 a gallon which was in glass jars. It was a miracle for him, but I still don't like goat cheese.
GardenerJoy I need to get some extra water in too, to flush the pounds away. I always seem to gain a bit when I'm really working out harder than before. It kind of makes a gal want to quit working out, but then I know I wouldn't be able to do things I like to do.
Penny I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you crashed. Last time I did that my friend stood there and laughed at me. I was not amused. I love 77 to 80 also, only not so much when I'm hiking. My perfect hiking temp is high 50's. I'm usually climbing hills. I loved Aquafina too and I didn't know who she was even though I also saw Oceans 8, which she was in.
Bill The only story I really remember about being around truly wealthy people was in my 20's. We went with friends to stay in the guest home of our girlfriends parents home. It was on the beach in Qualicom on Vancouver Island. It was one of 4 homes they had. The guest house was about 4600 sq feet. There was a seven car garage with gardener's and maid's quarters above. We went in to the main house for breakfast one day and Anne's Dad said, "Well, I wonder what the poor people are doing today?" I wanted to answer that some of them were sitting right there, but I don't think I did. I've always done the Rim to Rim to Rim backpack because logistically it's easier than getting to the north side of the Grand Canyon, so this will be an easy one. When are your friend's going?
Everybody have a great day. I'd better get in the shower so I can get to Costco when they open today.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:50 AM   #162  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Friday went great. Saturday went great until about 10 pm--and then I non-stop ate for the rest of the evening--and then ate too much again this morning. We left the event at 2, and I just had products after that. So, back on track, but I was sitting there thinking "why am I eating this?" and I just kept eating.

I did get a good walk in yesterday morning, which was nice.

I've figured out dinner for tomorrow night but haven't done any other meal planning for this coming week--or any grocery shopping.

--Beth
Old 10-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #163  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the October 2018 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:.
Closed Thread