Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Super quick wave everyone- i'm helping my DD pack today for college- she has done very little so its going to be a looooong day, plus its supposed to hit 97 today! thank goodness for the ac! DS started school today and is supposed to go to cross country practice, hopefully they will be very easy on them. I'm going to make a new food plan over the weekend once DD is off at college, but right now I just need to get thru these next few days with my sanity intact
Old 08-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #167  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I lost a kilogram this month! Consistency and persistence pay off in so many ways. As I've noticed before, it's easier to stay on track than it is to get back on track.

Credits:
  • posted twenty-nine days in a row
Weigh-in: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +55, 1085/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #168  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Mornin',all!

Today will mark 77 days on plan with food, weight is on day 6 of the plateau, and all is well.

I'm still dragging with exercise and took a day of complete laziness yesterday. It was glorious. Today, I'm trying to talk myself into walking to the library to pick up my daughter's reserved book. The 30 minute roundtrip by bike, is two hours by foot. Hmmm.

Curly, I can feel the quiet when all is completed in the next few days. You're almost there!

Bill, it sounds like it's not one of those colds that lingers for weeks then. That's good news!

Gardenerjoy, congrats on the monthly loss!

Karen, have a great time on mt st helens. I've been wanting to get back to the Ape caves, the lava tubes there near the mountain.

Maryann, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.especially at the stressful time of year for teachers.

Beth, how exciting to go to NY! What is your plan for food? For my last travel, I tried to look everything up online and then partition the extra off on my plate. It worked out okay.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #169  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - "Frankenstein" author Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley born (1797, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the (2 y 11 mo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Hours were spent at a kiddy park with sprinklers of all sorts. The place was mobbed - just right for laughing about getting wet and getting everyone else wet. I got to read her a book; her sheer delight at each page, each picture, each predicament made my heart soar. So much joy in such a small package.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner, again, was held indoors where it was merely in the 80's while it was 95 degrees F outside. This is the yearly hot spell where we wish our house was air-conditioned. When the kids were little, we'd go sit outside in the temporary pool. That's one of the losses of the kids moving out - their pool was long ago dismantled.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "Consistency and persistence."

curlyjax – Yep, the next few days should just be spent trying to stay sane. Good luck with the packing.

Penny. – Kudos for celebrating your days on plan instead of just your scale readings.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies
Mindset Techniques

You can take a number of steps to respond to your next craving. The first five steps help you prepare your mindset, and you should use the following every time you have a craving.
1. Label it. Tell yourself, This feeling is just a craving .... It's uncomfortable and intense, but (like hunger) it's not an emergency.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 130.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #170  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge includes a brand-new event for me in the late afternoon and early evening. There will be back-to-back-to-back interesting sessions, a variety of food available, no apparent time in the schedule to eat, and no ability to plan an exact menu before I get there.
Also, my transportation plans are completely up in the air, including how I get there and who I go with.

None of this is an ideal scenario for me.

But, it's just one evening. I'll make sure that I'm set up to have a salad and/or some fruit when I get home so that I'm not eating out of fear of hunger. I think I'll follow my usual potluck plan -- focus on veggies and allow tiny servings of anything else that looks good. I'm also prepared for that to completely fail because there are no veggies and the serving sizes aren't my choice, so I might eat just one small thing and plan for the salad when I get home to be my supper.

Credits:
  • posted thirty days in a row
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +40, 1125/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #171  

Good morning! I'm up early today after an early bedtime last night.

I did my walk to the library and it took me 2:08 and was just under seven miles. When the muscles and feet started complaining, I took note of what mile it was: 4.5. On flat sidewalk. Okay, progress to be made! Ha!

Another plateau day with weight.

Beth, I started that Brain Powered Weightloss book you mentioned and, wow, it really is like Beck. It's nearly the same book repackaged into their own words so far. Still, I'll take it for the continued message.

Bill, hurray for a good time with the GDG!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #172  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I guess the food and exercise must be balancing out okay, cause my weight was down on their scale. I weighed on it when I arrived just to see how it would be. Yesterday Laurie and I drove up to the Mt. St. Helen's area and did a 9 mile hike with 2000 feet elevation gain. We had beautiful views of Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood and of course Mt. Rainier. On top of that we saw a dozen or more elk taking off across the hillside with some bugling going on. I had never heard that before and even got a video with the sound too. We went yesterday because the weather is better than today. After that I met some life long friends for dinner which was great fun. I decided to have a Reuben sandwich since I probably worked it off earlier in the day. I honestly think that is what works best for me, enjoy the splurges when I've gotten lots of exercise.

Today I'm seeing a friend who I've known since kindergarten. Her health isn't good mainly due to a lifelong eating disorder, she weighs about 95 pounds and is or at least was about 5'5". It makes me think a few extra pounds aren't anything to worry about since I am so much stronger and healthier.

Maryann I hope you are much better.

Curlyjax Such a busy time for you. I hope the transition for your daughter is good and that you can fit everything into her new dorm room.

GardenerJoy I never have all the meetings that you do, but this trip is a challenge with the unknown food situations on a daily basis. So far so good.

Bill Such crazy weather. We are having rain here in Washington today. Actually it's just drizzle, but I'm glad we did our hike yesterday.

Time to get something done with the day.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #173  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

I'm sleepless in Chicagoland, and so I'm posting late. I had an OP day--ate exactly what I'd put in MFP last night. I was afraid I wouldn't have time for a walk since we met a contractor at our new home. But we got home about 8:15, so I walked to the library and returned a book and picked up the ones on hold for DD. There's a CVS on the way so I stopped and bought a birthday card for DH--his birthday is while we'll be in NY for the weekend. We're leaving shortly after work so I'll have to pack on work breaks--and will probably stop working by 4:30.

I'm not going to try to walk for exercise over the weekend since we'll be doing a lot of walking just sightseeing. However, if I feel I really want an additional walk with no purpose, I'll take one :-).

Foodwise, my plan is to have 3 products every day and dinner. Our hotel has a minifridge, so I'll be able to keep my morning shake cold, and then I'll carry two bars so I can eat while we're out and about. As for dinners, the plan is no desserts (or sweets at other times) and no bread, since I can't seem to hold myself to a single piece. I'll eat balanced meals, and start them with a salad--and watch portion size very carefully, since I don't need to eat an entire meal. Chances are that by skipping the starch, though, the main entry protein won't be as overmuch food to me.

G'night everyone!

--Beth

(I didn't post this last night--left it on my screen unposted--but I'm claiming it as having posted last night since I wrote it last night)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:22 AM   #174  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all!

I'm not sleepless in NY but it does appear that NY doesn't sleep. We just got back from a walk around Times Square--it's 1:00 in the morning and there are people shopping at Forever 21 and the Gap.

Food was OP today--entered most of it last night, actually. Then when we got in we went out for a drink. I held myself to one glass of wine--in a really cool bar the name of which I never saw.

I'm looking forward to the weekend. My food plan remains--3 products plus a reasonable dinner--with the intent of not gaining weight this week. Don't expect to lose any--but I brought my travel scale and I don't intend to gain!

G'night, all!

--Beth
Old 08-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #175  
Super Moderator

Default Friday - President Obama re-designates Mt. McKinley as Denali (2015, Alaska)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was another chase the (2 y 11 mo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. (Her daycare was on vacation so we stepped in for extra days.) She read us the book about the elephant who hurt his trunk. She held the book in her lap, firmly controlling the book and the flipping of the pages. She read with confidence; she properly emphasized the word NO! that introduced each new predicament of this poor elephant. She was so pleased with herself. I was rather impressed that a pre-three-year-old could read so fluently. And she did it without recognizing a single word, perhaps only weakly recognizing the letters of the alphabet. So she has now mastered every aspect of reading a book except for the nit of converting printed text into English. Perhaps her first grade teacher will help with that detail in a few years. I did develop an appreciation for what is a good book for her age. It has repetition that is fun. It has a story that is easily recognized by the pictures.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks. Dinner on the patio was a joy as the heat of the day dissipated with a (threatened) approaching storm. Storm never arrived, but its cooling effect did. Best of both worlds.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for making a plan that will suffice in a day of unusual uncertainty and business.

Karen (karenrn) – Speaking of which, if you're as far north as Mt. Rainier, would it be that much further to go climb Mt. Denali?

Beth (bethturnaround) – So neat that you're in Times Square bustling at 1 a.m. Hope you get some rest to prepare for your assault on the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Penny. – Seven miles is a serious walk. I hope that library was air-conditioned to get you ready for your return trip.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies
Mindset Techniques

You can take a number of steps to respond to your next craving. The first five steps help you prepare your mindset, and you should use the following every time you have a craving. . . .
2. Stand firm. Tell yourself that you're absolutely not going to eat the food that you're craving. Remind yourself that you truly don't want to strengthen your giving-in muscle and weaken your resistance muscle. Ask yourself whether giving in to this craving will be worth the momentary pleasure you'll get from eating. Think about how giving in can undermine your confidence.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 130.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #176  

G'mornin' everyone!

I'm enjoying my extra hour I give myself before a work day to eat breakfast and sip my coffee. Yesterday was on plan and the 7yo went with for the walk past one of the free little libraries. She was quite pleased with a nat geo cat joke book find.

Today is day 8 of the plateau. I'd survive longer in a stranded-without-food situation, so I guess there's that.

Beth, kudos for keeping track and bringing a travel scale!

Bill, she sounds very focused. All of my kids picked up reading on their own just from being read to and games, no formal teaching. It's always a bit of a shock when I discovered they had cracked the code. My fourth and last has cracked the code. Whew! I passed that checkpoint.

Karen, nine miles with 2000' elevation is fantastic! It sounds like a great hike and view.

Last edited by Penny.; 08-31-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #177  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's event was perfectly handled by just not eating at all. A snack before tided me over until I came home to my salad.

Today's challenge is no food in the house. So, I'm off to a shopping trip. Here's my intention: I won't eat until I get home.

Credits:
  • posted thirty-one days in a row
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +50, 1175/1200 minutes for August
Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #178  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!
We're having a wonderful time--went to Central Park Zoo today. Had a lovely dinner where we declined the bread, substituted zucchini for potatoes, and had exactly one glass of wine. I'm a bit over on calories today, but not that much--and enjoyed the evening glass of wine at a table outside in Times Square. I've recorded all my food, read my cards and diet book (one of the ones on my iPad), and now posted here. No extra exercise, but we're doing a bunch of walking. I'm just going to ignore the exercise thing while here--but I am not ignoring my food!

The Lion King was amazing--incredible costumes and choreography.

Tomorrow we're getting up and going to the Met--I can't wait!

Joy: Major credit for not eating at the event!

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 09-01-2018, 02:42 AM   #179  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Very quick post. Exercise is going well. I've added in a step video, done at half speed so far. I can't do the whole thing yet but it's a great way of ensuring I get in some cardio. Food? Not great but I'm linking this to increased exercise.

Hope your day goes well.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #180  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the September 2018 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:.
Closed Thread