Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #121  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Weight finally dipped down into the next 10s group. Yay!

Maryann, leaving food on the plate is an amazing new concept to me. Haha! I was looking ahead to the train trip menu and slightly distressed that every choice was 1000 calories. Then I hit the part of the Beck book about leaving the overage on the plate and it was a lightbulb moment for this foodie focussed brain. Doh! Gamechangwr, really.

Karen, my daughter and I are in Minnesota visiting a friend over the weekend. We traveled by train from Oregon and will fly back Monday. The hiking trip planned for next year sounds fabulous! I've always dreamed about doing one of the cross country through-hikes, like the Appalachian.

BBE, good luck with on plan eating with a houseguest. You sound like you have already worked through the possible food situations.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for sticking to plan A!
Old 07-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #122  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'd thought my legs were looking and working a bit better recently. I've lost 2 inches from my thighs. Amazing what regular exercise and a lot of stairs can do! Fog here this morning. The DB and friends are going camping in the mountains so I hope it clears a bit. I'm going to do half a day in the office on paperwork.

Penny, credit for sticking to the plan and being rewarded by a new 'decade'.

gardenerjoy, realistic plans are the best ones, I've come to realise.

karen, being strong, fit and not getting injured are goals I've got too.

maryann, hope DS passed. You are a real regular at the gymn now.

Bill, sorry to hear about such vandalism in your area. Good luck with politely wrestling your guest into dinner submission.

beth, 'eating normally' is a phrase to think about very carefully! So many layers of meaning.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - A powerful earthquake causes a tsunami that devastates Alexandria (365)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The house guest arrived and agreed to walk, CREDIT moi, to a nearby 'square' to enjoy the excitement of all the young folks out and about and to see the neat stores and restaurants doing brisk business spilling out on the sidewalks. He accepted my choice of restaurants and, to our delight, ordered a sane amount of food. We all three swapped tastes of our choices. He liked my serving of zucchini (courgette) so much that he ordered a side dish for himself after we had completed the rest of the meal. He is adamant that he is to avoid all sugars since one branch of our family has a history of diabetes. This removes some of the issues with food choices while he's here.

At the restaurant, I ordered the evening's special, "smoked roast beef," which I'd never heard of. It was good but it was a large serving and I was glad to give away large portions. I left the mound of slightly-mashed potatoes after only a taste, CREDIT moi, rather aghast at its volume. The place was full of young adults who were finishing their plates and ordering the huge desserts. Otherwise, eating was just OK. I indulged in afternoon snacks as I worried about the entertainment aspect of our houseguest using the rational thought that food would make tension go away.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat to play for "a tasting portion of blueberry bread pudding."

silverbirch – Wonderful news that your legs have gotten the message that they're doing a lot more work these days.

maryann – Do I ever remember the tension about teenager diving tests, "I want him to pass and don't want him to pass." A kid that drives his own tractor will drive a car responsibly.

Karen (karenrn) – Kudos for out walking Otis in 89 degrees F - that's hot weather for walking. You switched gears on me after discussing climbing Mount Whitney, then saying that you were going to the Whitney movie. Whitney Houston soared different heights.

Penny. – Super Kudos for figuring out that you could leave the unwanted calories on your plate in the train's dining car.

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings

If so, you confused hunger with a desire to eat. Today's task will help you figure out when you're truly hungry, so you can tell yourself, Okay, I've finished the food I planned to eat for this meal, and I'm still hungry ... But that's okay ... It might take my brain 20 minutes to send a message to my body that I'm full ... I'll wait to see how I feel in 20 minutes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 116.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I got a lot done friday, things like figuring out how much money is due to college this semester, and how to get it transferred. We were fortunate to receive some grants, and very fortunate that my parents have a college fund going. I had dinner with a friend yesterday ( I have been out 3 times this week, amazing!) and we both agreed our girls have unrealistic expectations about what they can fit into their tiny dorm rooms. They have both been watching these elaborate Youtube videos about creating a fabulously decorated dorm room etc. Everything is so over the top these days!
My goal today is no dessert, I have been indulging too much again.

Karen- I love to hear about your hiking. I do hope to get out there some day, when my hip is better and both kids are in college. There are group trips for women only, I think that would be a fun thing to visit the Grand Canyon with a group.
Penny- good job on the weight loss. Train travel sounds fun!

Off to run errands, including hopefully buying comfortable shoes. I figured out my loafers are almost 10 years old, eek! No wonder my feet are hurting, I forget shoes do indeed wear out.

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-21-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP day yesterday. I did start dinner earlier. DS passed his test with 100%. Typical of that kid, the DMV official came up to me and said my son could drive her car he was so good. DS is very good with adults. Better than I am But the nerves still drove me to that early dinner. Stress eating remains an issue but I now have tools to manage the behavior. I looked at pictures of me from 2016 in Ireland when I weighed slightly more than I do now. I am flat out too heavy. I am so grateful to have committed to my new program three weeks ago. It feels wonderful to be confidently on my way down the scale rather than constantly scraping a ceiling I don't want to burst through.

Today is a walk in the cool morning. Breakfast is finished. Two more meals to go for the day.

KarenRn: Fires are a huge issue. Another one started a couple of days ago. Tahoe can get very bad. We are going up tomorrow. Hopefully some of the smoke has cleared.
Silverbirch: My trainer measured me. I will be interested to see if I had a drop in inches. I like this second method of accountability.

Curleyjax: I spend a fortune on my feet and they are worth every penny. I fight plantars faciitis. I use orthotics plus Klogs (with a K) for work and walking around town. The carolina model.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #126  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my plan, again, yesterday. It really helps to write about my plan every day, here. Thanks!

Today's challenge is a picnic potluck. I'm bringing a dessert that I'm willing to eat. I've got access to the Google doc where people are saying what they'll bring. So, I can plan a little better than usual for these sorts of things -- lots of yummy-sounding salads, so I'll focus on veggies and take tiny servings of anything else I want.

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +40, 790/1200 minutes for July
Old 07-21-2018, 11:06 PM   #127  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

We made a last minute decision (Friday afternoon) to go to Michigan this weekend. I met a bunch of DH's extended family for the first time. Food Friday was on target foodwise but exercise got skipped because we packed and left. Today--well, today, I pretended I could eat whatever I wanted without any consequences, to the point of being stupid. (Yeah--strong word--but I had way too many sweets, and I was way too full, and I'm beating myself up a bit.)

However, that was the picnic--and at least it was for homemade desserts. But I really blew it. So, tomorrow is another day. And I think I'll call Monday and make an appointment with the behavioral therapist. I've done "this" before, where "this" is losing weight, looking and feeling great, and then starting to eat the way I did when I was at my high weight--and of course, the weight comes right back. We travel too much for me to consider travel time to be 'not on plan' time. I know what to do--I didn't do it--I told myself I was going to stop--and had another dessert(s) anyway. So, perhaps a little professional discussion would be wise.

I do okay if I don't start -- especially if there's nothing in front of me. But potluck, picnic, homemade, and I started--I just kept eating :-(

Tomorrow we drive home--it was an unexpected getaway -- I do always enjoy road trips with DH.

G'night all,

--Beth

p.s. One thing to add--I did overeat a bit at Friday's dinner--I think I'm going to go back to 'box up before starting'--if the food isn't on my plate, I feel as if I'm "done" when it's gone, but it's hard to feel "done" when there's still food there to eat. (Penny--you inspire me!)

Last edited by bethturnaround; 07-21-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:05 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Gregor Johann Mendel, genetics pioneer, born (1822, Austrian Empire)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent most of the day waiting for a plumber to unblock the drain of the kitchen sink on our rental house. Ugh!!! It's hard enough to accept their "Between 1 and 5 pm" initial estimate, but I waited and waited getting updates of "We're running a bit late, it'll be closer to the end of your interval." Finally, at 7 pm, I called their bluff demanding to know exactly where their plumber was located. He was headed to the appointment before mine in a city an hour away. We agreed to reschedule for another guy's first appointment at 8 am today. So exercise was grinding my teeth waiting for the phone to ring.

Dinner with our houseguest went well. Everyone ate rationally and enjoyed cantaloupe for dessert. We have a mixed history of choosing a ripe cantaloupe; this one was perfect. I had to politely suggest to our guest that he was welcome to eat any cereal in our pantry for breakfast, but he wasn't welcome to read the sugar content of the ones he rejected while telling stories of relatives who died of diabetes. My choice is to eat breakfast alone and enjoy conversation at dinner.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Tiny servings is a great plan.

maryann – Congrats to your DD for passing his driving test. Looking at pictures even from just a few years ago can be painful.

curlyjax – Congrats for working your DD's college finances one more time. I share your surprise, "I forget shoes do indeed wear out." I just discovered in my "good" casual loafers a split where the top connects to the sole. My first thought was, Most folks can't see that. A more rational thought would be to buy new shoes, LOL.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yep, tomorrow is another day. Kudos for looking forward not back.

Readers -
Quote:

Or you might try saying to yourself, Okay, I'm hungry, no big deal. I'm going to eat again in ____ hours ... Here's a chance to strengthen my resistance muscle (described, along with the giving-in muscle, on page 29).

Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did not refrain from sugar yesterday, boo. DD has things like M and Ms lying around which I find it very hard to stay out of. I finally put them in a cupboard where at least I won’t see them. I did buy some comfortable shoes, Clarks, and bonded with the middle aged saleswoman on the need for sensible shoes rather than high heels. I was relieved to find my shoe size hasn’t changed at least, I was wondering if I had gained weight in my feet too.
I’m reading a book called Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin. I find her rather smug and annoying but its an interesting topic. Healthy eating is much more complicated than just being a habit as we all know, but maybe there will be something helpful in the book.

Bill- I agree wholeheartedly, breakfast time should be by oneself or at least no one talking.
Maryann- congrats on new driver! Ultimately it is great, but it is indeed scary too!

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-22-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #130  

Good morning all! The dining room decluttering project is done for my parents. We found the floor was really warped in some places, so the layout we planned did not work. However, there is now a place to eat with chairs. The most important of my mom's china and stemware is displayed in the china cabinet. We took out 12! boxes of stuff to the attic. Hopefully, everything will be safer too, because there isn't china crammed on top of each other. I had done the living room decluttering a few months ago, so the whole first floor is pretty usuable.

This was pretty stressful for me and I did not make good food choices this week. I also drank too much. It is interesting that I was pretty aware of all the emotions swirling around and why they were being triggered but yet was completely unable to not stress eat. For years I didn't come home because there was _literally_ no place for me. I begged them to clean up and get some chairs... throw out stuff so the sofa wasn't just a storage place for tons of boxes, etc... I offered to come help do it myself. And I was told everything was just fine. Now that I've got it done (which took 7 months of negotiating since I moved back in), my mom claims that she's wanted to do this "for years". Okay. At least acknowledge we lost a decade because everything was "just fine"...

My hiking books appear to also cause massive achilles tendon pain. I wore them all week while moving furniture, since they were the sturdiest pair of shoes I have. And I was crippled by Thursday. Switching back to barefoot or ballet flats and the pain is gone. I did buy them at REI, so I will find out how good their returns policy really is.

Penny- Congrats on the scale moving to the next 10s!
BillBlueEyes- I'm impressed with the boundaries you have drawn with your guest. Uggh- I'm probably the one reading the carb counts of the cereal out loud... I need to stop being annoying! Thanks for the reminder that I need to keep my internal process internal.
Beth- Are you using a CBT therapist or someone trained in the Beck Method? I'm thinking that some professional help would be useful for me too, but I'm not sure where to start.
Curlyjax- good job hiding the m&ms!

I'm on Day 9- Make time for exercising. I do weightlifting stuff at the gym with a personal trainer twice a week. But I do need to be more consistent about activity other than that. Consistency is always hard...
Old 07-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #131  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning everybody. I'd have to say Friday's happy hour was not on plan. I guess it's no wonder I am mostly maintaining and not losing. I should have just ordered a salad, but instead we all shared Bruschetta and a flatbread and than add in a few drinks and there you go. Yesterday was back on plan and today is planned. Yesterday the map and planning booklet arrived for next summer's High Sierra Trail. My friend Carrie, who had trouble with the altitude when we did some of the John Muir Trail, is considering doing the HST with me. Maybe with a little different strategy it will work for her. I hope so, but I'm going to try to gear up to go solo if necessary. In that case I will buy the In Reach communications device for safety. Today is the Whitney (Houston) movie.

ssbbg I think REI's return policy is up to one year. I've always found it to be excellent. Good luck to you in finding something that works. Glad you completed the dining room project. That has got to be very difficult.

Curlyjax I have a tough time with sugar too unless somehow I just don't get started. It would be very difficult for me to have things in the house. Out of sight is much better than on the counter.

Bill That had to be more than annoying waiting for a plumber who was that far behind schedule. I hope it has been taken care of by now.

Silverbirch Wow your exercise is really doing good things for you!

Beth Forgive yourself and move on. As we all know, it isn't being off the rails for a day that undoes our progress, but not getting back on plan. The quicker the better!

GardenerJoy I hope your picnic potluck was fun and that there were some good things to eat that were healthy too.

Maryann Congratulations to your son for passing his driver's test and to you for raising such a great young man. About the fires, yes it seems every year plans have to be changed due to the fires. I guess changing plans is nothing compared to how they effect some folks though.

Tomorrow it is back to Crossfit for me after two weeks away. I'm afraid it's going to feel difficult after not doing much in the way of weights. I'll be there for 4 weeks and then off again for 5. I guess I need to just realize that sometimes maintaining is the best I can do. It's hard to make
gains in the exercise department when I can't be as consistent with it. And really I don't do it to get better at Crossfit. I do it to stay strong, be better at hiking and have a better quality of life into old age. I'm just writing that down as a reminder to myself.

Have a great Sunday everybody!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I can certainly sympathize with Beth today, as I hit the restart button. Although the volume was very low compared to pass off plan behavior, I still ate a fourth meal at night. I know that the quality of my food plan is determined not by how often I slip but how quickly I get and stay back on. I think it was gardenerjoy who wrote years ago that most of her weight was lost being 90% OP. The trick for me is to be gentle with myself, tell the truth, and move on. Breakfast this morning was OP and I took a long walk in the cool morning.

We are heading to Tahoe this morning to drop DS at runner's camp. The fun is in the activity. The fun is NOT in the food. That is my card for today.

SSBBG: I was just talking to a relative about the REI return policy. He has been wearing his boots for a year and they are willing to return them for another pair.

BBE: I admire your honesty with your house guest. I think things always go better if the situation is based on honesty. I am so afraid of conflict, though, that it is difficult for me.

KarenRN: I have to laugh. When you wrote Whitney a couple of days ago, I thought of the mountain. Fandango did not show the movie playing Oh! Houston . . . . .

Last edited by maryann; 07-22-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #133  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I've been glad to have the weekend to rest and regroup. It's very interesting how fatigued I am getting. I think a large part of it might be the mental work I'm doing, as well as the physical stuff and driving. No exercise worth speaking of; food good; some decluttering at home; a very little gardening. We've had rain!

Good to see everyone moving along. Lots of learning going on! curlyjax, Precision Nutrition is big on habits. They introduce a new one every fortnight.

See you all tomorrow, I hope.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Eudora Welty died at age 92 (2001, Jackson MS)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The drain is unblocked. For the price charged, I'd have expected there to be a line of trucks outside my door vying for the job rather than the tortured wait that I went through to get the guy here. The guy's electric snake is a marvel; it cleaned it all out. I still don't know what the real cause of the problem was. His best guess is that it was simply an accumulation of 40+ years of grease. Ugh! The only real data point is that he identified no hard blockage. I'm now supposed to use a bacterial substance to keep the pipes clean. Sounds good - just wondering how I got to be this old without hearing of this before. I feel like I've entered a new phase of my life.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi. We ended up at a family gathering where a 50th birthday was being celebrated. I indulged in a slice of Boston Cream Pie - a treat I have less than once a year. It was fun to be with a large group with no one over indulging in anything. No one had a second hamburger. No one had too many beers or wine. No one overate the carrots or sweet-potato chips set out for appetizers. Everyone was fit with two folks wearing the newest wrist fitness tracker for the deadly serious. Having a nudge on my wrist isn't yet my thing.

silverbirch – Interesting that mental activity can make us so tired.

maryann – Thanks for the reminder that the fun is in the activity - not the food.

Karen (karenrn) – My admiration at your consistent tackling of your exercise.

curlyjax – Yep, putting stuff out of sight seems to make it easier to avoid. Kudos for buying yourself some Clarks that make your feet happy.

ssbbg – You've really done a massive decluttering job. I just love that your mom now "claims that she's wanted to do this "for years""

Readers -
Quote:

Or think to yourself, I'm not hungry ... I just want to eat more ... But I'm not going to because I don't want to strengthen my giving-in muscle.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

I have a plan for today. Extra credit because I have a 9am appointment at a bakery and I still got my morning going quickly enough to write a plan. And, to eat breakfast before I go so I can treat the bakery shelves as an art display. This bakery always has lovely cookies -- but I have no reason to believe that they would be anything but too sweet. So, I'll have a cup of tea.

I'm apparently resistant to morning weigh-ins, recently. I know they help and I know that I get used to them so that the ups don't bother me that much. Time to push myself a little in that direction.

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +25, 845/1200 minutes for July
Closed Thread