Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #136  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was pretty close to plan. Dinner serving was a little larger than it should have been. I've decided to go to the Y again today and tomorrow and back to Crossfit on Wednesday. It is just too hot in the Crossfit gym to safely say I won't sweat on my eyebrows.
I wanted to get back cause of the cost of the membership, but I need to remember that the eyebrow microblading cost 3 times as much. It's supposed to be 115 degrees here today, so I'm sure the CF gym will be hot even in the morning. The air-conditioning isn't really adequate for the warehouse type building. Most of the folks don't seem to mind, but I don't feel good in those temps working out. The Whitney Houston movie was very sad. I just loved her singing, but what a sad life.

GardenerJoy That's great that you can think of the bakery as an "art display". I love baked goods, but can pass them up when I'm with a witness.

Bill Glad to hear the pipe blockage was taken care of. Yes, I do try to keep up on my exercise because I almost always have something out ahead of me that keeps me to scared to quit. In this case it's a short backpacking trip in WA with the gal who led our Nepal trip 6 years ago. It's only a few days, but the first day is a 3000 foot elevation gain. Carrying a pack makes that 3000 feet so much more difficult.

Silverbirch Are you hydrating well enough? Sometimes when I'm fatigued I realize it's because I'm dehydrated. With the more physical work that you're doing it could be you need more water.

Maryann I haven't seen a movie called "Whitney" related to Mt. Whitney, but I recently saw one called "Mountain" The description was "A cinematic journey of sound and nature that explores the beauty of the upper world. With advancements in technology, venturing to the peak of a mountain is an easier feat than it was three centuries ago." It was a great documentary with beautiful scenery. I also see on You Tube that there will be a movie out on the High Sierra Trail, but after further checking it is only 39 minutes long. Good job getting right back on track. I know that is the key. I also wanted to say the reason I put so much pumpkin in the waffles is cause they can be like cardboard without it. I don't use any milk, just pumpkin, egg whites and Kodiak mix with a splash of water for the right consistency.

Even after walking Otis this morning, he is amped up like you can't believe. I've been throwing his squeaky toy in between typing this note. I guess I had better go try to wear him out. Have a great day everybody.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #137  

Good morning all.
Today I am going to focus on rehydrating and eating mindfully. The scale is up 10 lbs (!!) in one week, which I am sure isn't real fat, but is shocking. I hope that a few days back to more normal habits will lead to a more reasonable number.

Today's task is "Day 11: Learning the difference between hunger, desire, and cravings". I have a really hard time with this. The workbook and the book both talk about feeling hunger in your stomach, but I don't think I do? During the day, I get headaches when I should eat... almost never rumbling stomach. At night (when I am in bed), my stomach does get rumbly, but it doesn't seem to match reality. I can have a huge snack before bed and then wake up at 1 am with stomach growling. I can skip eating all day and feel nothing but some tightness in my head. I basically eat my first meal because I don't want to pass out at the gym, not because I feel I am hungry.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Just came down the mountain from Tahoe. I focused yesterday on food skills while traveling. It is so difficult for me but credit for choosing salads both meals, leaving food on my plate when I was full, avoiding white grains for the most part. The scale will probably show a gain when I weigh tomorrow because it takes a couple of days to get rid of the restaurant additives. Oh Well. Today I will ride the bike and do core. I will try to have lighter meals to help get the scale number back in check.

I read a book called Hunger which isn't good enough to finish but it brought up one interesting point. Prior to 1998, a BMI for overweight people was 27.7. It was then seemingly arbitrarily changed to 25 thereby making 30 million people in the US overweight overnight. Interesting because I wouldn't be considered overweight had the change not been made. Just an example how numbers can make me crazy. I know what feels healthy to me. That is what I am working towards.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #139  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Dealt with getting back on track after bad choices by having a 5 product day. I really did non-optimally 4 days in a row--and that leads to weight gain--and my scale showed it. An occasional off day (that 90% OP) is fine--but I can't be off more than on and expect to maintain what I've done--and I've come so far! I've regained weight each time I've lost it before--and my health can't handle doing it again--sugar, cholesterol, heart--I've got to keep it off this time.

I made an appointment with the behavioral therapist but couldn't get in for a couple of weeks. I'm going to call her other office tomorrow and see if I can get in there (those appointments are managed separately).

In plus news, I walked today after the weekend away. +40 July: 275/300 I really enjoyed this evening's walk since I hadn't walked since Wednesday.

I may do another 5 product day Tuesday, just to get myself back in the swing of things.

--Beth
Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 AM   #140  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Checking in from home after my vacation. I did excellent with eating, which may have been helped by the fact that I was still reading through the newer Beck book each night.

Now that I'm home, I need to ramp up the exercise again. My organized bike ride is still on for Wednesday and I hope I'm still okay on my tiny road bike.

Beth, glad I could inspire!

Karen, I had to laugh at the bit about your eyebrow treatments costing more than the gym. It's funny how some things we are frugal about and others not so much.

Bill, I enjoy reading your posts.

Maryann, kudos for making good choices on your trip!

Ssbb, are you going to do the lunch skipping exercise?

Waving at everyone else, Silverbirch, gardenerjoy.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:05 AM   #141  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Full day yesterday and a lot of done at the client's house. He did so well with old photographs, sympathy cards sent to members of the family and so on. And we did clothes too! Amazingly, after weeding, all his clothes now fit into the very modestly sized wardrobe. A good feeling all round and lessons learnt on both sides. I'm now taking three days to catch up on other things (including a little bit of recreational decluttering here at home) and business development.

ssbbg, you've been doing so well making space at your parents' house. Much credit to you. I know it's not at all easy. I don't always have a rumbly tummy when I'm hungry either. And I've worked out that some of those rumbles and gurgles are not hunger but are part of the wonderful digestive process (your 1am noises could be the huge bedtime snack going through its paces). When I hear them I'm pleased that things are moving along nicely. In the right direction.

Penny, looking forward to hearing about your bike ride.

beth, fingers crossed you can get an appointment at the other office.

maryann, you wrote: "I read a book called Hunger which isn't good enough to finish." Just like some food, I thought!

karen, thanks for the hydration suggestion. I am drinking quite a bit (water bottle on hand, lots of herbal tea) but it's been quite humid here so when you add that to the increased physical work, then perhaps it's not enough. I'll be a bit more conscious of taking sips.

gardenerjoy, I'd forgotten your brilliant idea of thinking 'art display' when you see food beautifully displayed. Thanks for reminding me.

Bill, glad you've got the drain sorted out. As I write, they are emptying the communal septic tank here which is very stinky on this humid, still morning.

I feel I've missed replying to something someone's said to me over the last few days but can't find it. Thank you, whoever you are!

Last edited by silverbirch; 07-24-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #142  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Amelia Earhart born (1897 Atchison, Kansas)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Drama of the day was walking the long aisles of Home Depot learning about Hot Water Heaters. I need a new one for the rental unit, ASAP. About a year ago, I asked the plumber to put in a new one as this one had reached the duration of its warranty. "You mean it's not leaking?" he asked incredulously. "No one replaces a hot water heater until it leaks." My argument that they always fail at midnight on Christmas Eve didn't move him. "Why, I've seen them go on for twenty years." It felt odd to lose an argument that I wanted to spend a large chunk of money. But here I am ready to try again. The most expensive ones have a wifi connection so that you can chat with it using your cell phone. I spent hours trying to think what my hot water heater and I would talk about. I feel like a social failure that I can't think of what to say. Like a teenager wondering what one says to girls, should you ever get close enough to one to speak. Despite the negative social implication, methinks I'll pass on that feature.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was rotisserie chicken eaten alone on the patio with a book since the DW was out. It's perfect weather to sit and enjoy and be grateful that life isn't always programmed to the minute.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "treat the bakery shelves as an art display" - that sounds like a challenge.

silverbirch – The mind just spins at the thought of "recreational decluttering" - like recreational root canals, LOL. Congrats for moving your client forward.

maryann – Yay for salads during the summer when fresh greens are abundant.

Karen (karenrn) – Yikes, Arizona did, indeed, have 115 degrees F temperatures yesterday. I hope you survived.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Evening walks are just the best. Kudos for working hard to get back on track.

ssbbg – Not sure that I've felt real hunger in recent memory. The next meal or snack is always right there.

Penny. – Kudos for doing excellent with your food plan while on vacation.

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings

Monitor Your Hunger
How do you know when you're really hungry? Think about three recent occasions when the following occurred:
  • You hadn't eaten for many hours and really felt ravenous. That empty sensation in your stomach, often accompanied by stomach rumblings, was hunger.
  • You ate a big meal and yet you still wanted to continue to eat more. That was a desire.
  • You had a very strong urge to eat, which was accompanied by a feeling of tension and an unpleasant yearning sensation in your mouth, throat, or body. That was a craving.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 116.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #143  

Good morning everyone! Today is gray and rainy and dreary. I'd like to get back to walking outside, but the weather has been miserable.

I see BBE's quotes have synced with what I'm working on. The exercises of checking in every hour to assess where I was lead to more eating, I think, rather than less. The process of checking in made me aware that I should consider eating...

silverbirch- Glad to hear that you also don't have rumbling stomach from hunger. Also, if you've increased your water intake recently, is there any chance you need to add in some electrolytes/sports drink? I've found myself incredibly fatigued if sodium levels are wacky from sweating/ drinking plain water.

Penny- I've done a couple modified fasting weekends (well 4 days) in the last year, so I think I'm not going to do the meal skipping exercise as written in the book. I was eating some food (protein), but I did skip meals. Even in those conditions I mostly had the signals I described above- headaches vs. stomach.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #144  
Green Tomatoes

My day didn't go according to plan, and neither did my eating. But I ate better because I had a plan, so that counts for something.

I still didn't get myself to weigh this morning -- with yesterday not being quite what I wanted plus a salty supper. I'll try again tomorrow.

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +40, 885/1200 minutes
Old 07-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #145  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

OP day yesterday with both food and exercise. I went to the Y a little later than I usually do and it was more crowded, so I will go as soon as I finish this post. I know I'm not doing enough strength training at the Y, which is my own fault. It will be good to get back to Crossfit. It was 112 here in Scottsdale yesterday and expected to be 115 today. Otis has a vet appointment at 4 p.m. for a check up, so I guess I'll be getting out in it a little, but it is nearby. I'll be leaving for my driving trip in 4 weeks from tomorrow and I'll be gone 5 weeks, so I will begin getting things in the spare bedroom and ready to pack. I'll need my backpacking things and I have a check off list for that, clothing for a girls weekend and then just regular stuff. The good news is if I forget something I can purchase it, but I would rather not. In a couple of weeks I'll do some cooking and freezing of food for my dh. At least I'm not cooking for the dog like I used to do for Harley. Dh has some back problems and he finally went to physical therapy for a couple of months which helped tremendously. At the end of that the therapist recommended he sleep on his back with his knees and lower legs elevated. The good news is that we found a cushion on Amazon that was inexpensive and works great. He gets out of bed in the morning now without back discomfort. The bad news is that he is on seizure medication which he takes right before bedtime. It really conks him out and let me tell you about the snoring when he is on his back. Of course I'm so glad his back is better there is no way I'm going to nudge him because he can't really change position. I'm going to try ear plugs and maybe a white noise fan.

ssbbg Gray, rainy and dreary sounds really good to me.

Bill It's really incredible all the changes in how the home can work. We're finding ours works just fine without all the new communication too.

Silverbirch So what do people do with old photographs. Asking for a friend . . ha ha. I have just tossed some, but then I tell myself they don't take up much room. My Dad took many photos and a lot of them were on slides. I had those all put on a DVD, but there are many more.

Penny Good for you for getting thru vacation with watching your eating. I'm trying to plan for my driving trip by taking a cooler and planning ahead. Heck I don't think either my gym or the eyebrows were inexpensive, Crossfit is $150 a month and the eyebrows were over $400.

Beth Managing food is really hard. There are days on end where I have no problem and then in a different situation I'm off the rails. At those times I get afraid that I won't be able to rein myself in again. Luckily that hasn't been the case and after a couple of days I feel more in control again. It will never be second nature to me, but the older I get the more narrow my weight loss swings seem to be. I hope you can get into the therapist for some help. If not, I feel certain you will do okay.

Maryann I also need to focus on food skills while traveling. For starters I need to remember that whatever I have in the car with me is what I'll eat. I never stop for fast food, so I just need to pack the car wisely. How was Tahoe? I'm really enjoying all the photos on FB from people who are doing hikes in the Sierras.

Well time for me to get out the door and hit the Y while it's not busy there. Have a great day all of you!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Like Beth, I am getting back into the swing of OP after my trip. Weight is hovering a pound above ticker after my OP day yesterday. A few more days should be a big help. Credit for shrinking my stomach with the three meals a day plan. I now only eat two of the three high protein pancakes made by the recipe. I wrapped one up and will toast it tomorrow. Today I am out of the house for the housekeeper. I will commit to one meal at a restaurant and it must be a salad. Although the feeling of being OP, to me, is like a gentle smile, the feeling of having jumped off plan is devastating. I will choose the former. Personal Trainer today.

KarenRN: Unfortunately Tahoe was very smoky. Hopefully it will clear away before you get here.

ssbbg: I did not do the fasting day either. I don't feel good at all when I go too long between meals. Right now, an occasional dinner might be after a span of six hours and that is stretching it.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #147  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Although the topic at tonight's weight loss class was aerobic exercise, we spent a lot of time talking about off plan eating and how hard it is to maintain even when we've been doing well--we've all been there. A woman who was in maintenance but has regained is back in our weekly class--I know I'm not alone--and I'm "only" up 1.8 lbs since last week--but that's still a lot in a week. A pound of that could be re-calibrating scale, but not all of it.

I did walk today after class: +45 July: 320/300

The class on aerobic exercise suggested the Mayo Clinic guidelines: For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends these exercise guidelines: Aerobic activity. Get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity.

Right now my goal is at 300 per month, which is 75 minutes a week (simplifying how long a month is). I can work myself up to 600 minutes a month--that's a good goal. I remember being told years ago that we needed to be vigorously exercising 20-40 minutes at a time--I'm glad that has changed and that moderate exercise is now considered valuable :-)

Today was another 5 product day. I have a plan for tomorrow's dinner--lemon garlic chicken (defrosting now), roasted zucchini/red/orange peppers, celery sticks and hummus, and Michigan cherries brought back from our weekend. I'll watch my quantities, but those are all foods it's hard to overeat. Of course, I don't put a 'bowl of cherries' on the table. I put 10 cherries in each of 2 small bowls. I do so much better when the portion on my plate is the amount I'm supposed to allow myself. Even if I end up going a few bites past full, I can't go horribly past full.

But maybe that means I need to re-do the "leave food on the plate" exercise? I need to have that skill for non-at-home eating. At-home, I plate the food and figure it out before serving.

Hmm. To think about.

Good night all

--Beth
Old 07-25-2018, 03:46 AM   #148  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Today I'll do a full set of exercises. In fact, that's my first activity of the day after breakfast. I envisage a lot of support work today, as there was yesterday. I also have to fill in forms for the bank. And I have to keep on the right side of food. Actually, I want to go back to sleep.

karen, old photos ... hmm. This client threw away all photos of people he didn't recognise, and all negatives. That's been the first cull. Not sure where he's going next. One person has scanned them all in and has one of those electronic photo frames which display them in a loop. Other people put some in frames. There are albums, of course. I've got a lot of shoe boxes, having read that this is the best way to store them. Difficult to know. It would be interesting to know what others do.

ssbbg, interesting you should mention electrolytes as, thinking about it, I seem to have been making my own rehydration drink. I've found that I've been adding salt to some of my meals. We have a local sea salt company which exports all over the world. Its salt is lovely. I've also added honey to lemon and ginger tea. Thankfully, the weather has changed now and there is rain or drizzle most days. (Sports drinks? No, I couldn't stomach them!)
Old 07-25-2018, 05:07 AM   #149  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Eric Hoffer, American longshoreman and philosopher, born (1902, NY NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was a bit of a bust of a day - just little to show for the 24 hours. I disconnected the shower head in a last attempt to solve the diminishing water flow. It wasn't blocked anywhere that I could reach. I had already tried soaking the shower head in the magic liquid that dissolves calcium buildup, CLR to no avail. One more time, my I-can-fix-anything view of myself is challenged. The consolation is that it's a standard configuration hand-held shower head that can be easily and inexpensively replaced. The biggest drawback is facing DW's disdain for throwing stuff into the landfill.

Dinner on the patio was grilled white fish of some sort - maybe Cod. The broccoli was also grilled - a new style for us. We're rather regularly eat lightly boiled broccoli and grilled asparagus. A minor change that adds a touch of joy to one of our most consumed veggies. Evening snack was California Cantaloupe.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Alas, not according to plan seems to be the nominal case.

silverbirch – Leaving untitled photographs for the kids is just one of the worst legacies. DW and I have boxes of slides that we've never labeled and it's pretty low on our Bucket List to get to them. Ouch!

maryann – Neat image, "the feeling of being OP, to me, is like a gentle smile."

Karen (karenrn) – I continue to gasp at your 115 degree F temperature - Kudos for being able to think of exercise in those circumstances. And Congrats for being able to start packing so soon.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Thanks for the Mayo Clinic guidelines on exercise. Without tracking, it's easy for me to drift lower - especially in this hot weather.

ssbbg – Interesting that you experienced more interest in eating by checking in on the hour.

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings

Monitor Your Hunger

To better differentiate between these sensations, pick a day to note what you experience before, during, and after you eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 116.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Monday night i went with some friends to see Hitchcock’s movie The Birds. It was showing at an old theater that serves freshly made food too. It was quite a fun outing, but the movie left you with many questions unanswered, such as why were the birds attacking people? Funny how slow older movies seem, we are so used to much faster pacing now.

Today I am up early, hoping some tree folks come to trim some branches off two large trees in the front. If it rains hard they won’t, but so far so good!

Then I am off to the mechanic to replace a headlight, and later on I take DS to the DMV to try for his learners permit, how exciting! I will also ask what is involved in transferring DH’s title to me, as I intend to donate his car to NPR (our public radio station, for you non americans!) It has a lot of problems but I figure they can use some parts or something. It would have to be towed, as I don’t think it would start at this point. Plus I have to move it before I get the driveway re-paved which also needs doing. Funny how things need to synchronize!

The tree trimmers are here, hooray! Must run. One thing off the list!

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-25-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Closed Thread