Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #61  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I was on my way for my walk when DD called--she'd missed her train stop and was one station further along than she wanted to be. Fortunately, it's very close, and since I've done that myself, I felt obliged to rescue her. Her timing was excellent--if I'd been walking already she'd have had a much longer wait!

Drove her home and went for my walk anyway--it was a lovely evening. Took her to the airport when I got home--she's off to meet her brother in Boston and drive up to Maine to visit grandparents!

Cooked again tonight--I pulled some marinating pork from the freezer, cooked it in the crock pot, and served it in a zucchini "bowl" with stir fried veggies and melted cheese. The zucchini bowls didn't work very well, but it was delicious anyway.

Weight is holding steady--but it will go down when it's ready.

Exercise: +30 300/300 for June (and it's only the 14th!)

joy: Isn't it funny how we all seem to post at our 'scheduled' times? I hope you got your walk in before the heat hit.

BillBlueEyes: I want to just steal your DGD! Good food and cleaning out the fridge--great combination.

silverbirch: I hope you have a great visit with your mum.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 AM   #62  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Great sports massage yesterday which was the high point. The rest of the day was full of people who talked too much and did not listen. Mum and I are hoping for a better day today. I am starting off by going to the tip with an old computer and a broken bucket. I'm also hoping for a better day, food-wise, as yesterday was pretty scanty and bad.

Beth, walking is part of your life now!

gardenerjoy, thinking of you in the heat. We need rain here too.

Bill, good to clean out the fridge before it gets too late. This site has taught me the phrase 'science experiment' which came in very handy the day before yesterday when I found one or two in Mum's fridge.

Wave to all.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-15-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:01 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - King John seals the Magna Carta (1215, Runnymede on the Thames)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to get a haircut from the nice lady who has no qualms pointing out that my hair was too long - I need to come in more often. She's such a sweetheart that I've talked DW into using her also. Alas, that means that she knows what's up in our life before I get there. The wait is short; the price is low so I tip high. It's always a nice experience. I'd look less like a vagrant if I went more often. A second walk happened in the late afternoon when I had to get to the drugstore. Walked past several folks out doing their gardening.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was consumed inside to avoid the chilly air. My doctor told me that the ten days on an antibiotic could distress digestion so I should take some probiotics. I'm not a convinced probiotics fan. "Or you could eat yogurt," she offered. Now that I believe in. So, for ten days I'll have a bit of yogurt in my life. We already keep full-fat yogurt in the fridge for the visits by the DGD. Maybe I'll buy some low-fat variety at the store today.

Joy (gardenerjoy)"Today's high is 94" makes me wonder if we're on the same planet. Yay for an accompanied walk.

silverbirch – Congrats for parting with a broken bucket. We've been known to relegate them to lesser and lesser duties as they deteriorate - as if reluctant to part with friends who had worked for us for so long. [LOL at 'science experiment' - do know about those.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Love the notion of a zucchini bowl - even if it didn't work so well. Good to know that your DD still needs you.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9 Select an Exercise Plan

How to Start - Spontaneous Exercise

To motivate yourself to do more spontaneous exercise, consider attaching to your belt a pedometer, a device that tracks the distance you cover on foot. You can buy a good pedometer for about $20 at sporting-goods stores, many fitness centers, or over the Internet. Wear the pedometer every day and note in your diet notebook how many steps you've taken. Challenge yourself to continually add more steps to your day and to track your progress.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 108.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #64  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone.

Another 'real' dinner tonight--we went out for steak. I ate my own salad and veggies, and some of Stan's steak. Since my carbs are limited, I allowed myself just one bite of his potato. Yum.

No exercise today. +0 June: 300/300

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get up and walk though. Tonight got complicated because we met with the possible builders again. Our house offer isn't going to work out, so we're just whipsawing back and forth trying to figure out what we want to do, what we're going to do...

Bill: Seeing one of the remaining copies of the Magna Carta was an incredibly moving experience for me. We missed seeing the one in Salisbury but saw the one that traveled to Boston a few years ago.

silverbirch: A massage does sound like the highlight of a day! I hope today was a better food day for you.

Oh wait--almost forgot the big news--my scale said 180.0 this morning. I haven't adjusted the ticker in case it's just teasing me, but 180 is my initial goal. I was pretty psyched to see it.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 06-16-2018, 02:50 AM   #65  
in development

Food was a bit better yesterday but not sterling. I went to the tip, tried to find some bread that Mum likes and did lots more things like that. Mum was pleased to pass on a bag of unwanted Christmas presents to a school bring and buy sale. Over to my friend's this afternoon.

beth, great that you're transitioning into real food. The house situation sounds complicated.

Bill, low-fat yoghourt often has sugar added so I eat full-fat, for what it's worth. [An offhand remark of Mum's has made me realise that the bucket came into our lives secondhand in the late 1970s. Before then, it was the property of a British diplomat in Moscow. Not sure if it schlepped to and from the USSR. Anyway, it's served its time now, doesn't owe anyone anything and is resting quietly in a skip (dumpster?).]

Time to do my exercises. Have a good day.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Bloomsday - Events in James Joyce's novel Ulysses take place (1904)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Went shopping for clothes at a brick-and-mortar store, CREDIT moi. That's a credit since shopping for clothes is the lowest activity on my list. The specific appeal to me of heaven is that clothes shopping is forever done. I found two polo shirts on sale that fit and look nice, two belts on sale, and some underwear at regular price. Walked out feeling like a winner, despite not finding some casual khakis.

Dinner included a black rice sometimes called "Forbidden Rice". It's a fun change to think that I'm having a food reserved only for an emperor of China if you're to believe the hype. It's interesting property is that the black stain on our white china didn't vanish with the rinsing cycle of the dishwasher. I had to scrub it off. Maybe it would have been cleaned when I ran the wash cycle the next day. DW said that the black contained all the good-for-you stuff - whatever it is.

silverbirch – Congrats for a trip to the tip to move stuff out of your life. [Alas, I could never throw out a bucket with such a noble history as yours. I'm a prime candidate for a decluttering client who would drive you crazy.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Ouch for the house offer not working out and for the "whipsawing back and forth" betwixt buying and building. [I, too, was moved to see one of the Magna Carta's that remain. Was even more moved to have learned how tortuous was the path before the key points were fully enshrined.]

Readers -
Quote:

How to Start - Planned Exercise

Since exercising is not optional if you want to lose weight, be sure to choose a form of exercise that you like and can stick with. If you're not sure what you want to do, consult a friend or health-care professional (the latter is especially important if you have a health condition or have been sedentary for a long time).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 109.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

An oxymoron but vacation is work! I have been on a seemingly endless putter of "to dos" - all left abandoned no doubt because of work. This summer is the last summer driving DS. He is attending a junior college class and putting together an Eagle Project. I cherish the moments with him. I am also enjoying the non structure. I was burnt from school.

The BistroMD meals have been very "hit and miss" I threw the curry in the trashcan. The frittata was tasty. I am committed for a two week trial. I look at it as an adventure.

Another Beck approved adventure is I finally stepped up and bought 12 personal training sessions at my gym. Ta DA!!!!!There has never been a trainer there I thought worth the sizable amount. But I needed to learn how to use two machines suggested for the Whitney trek and this young lady was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I asked her is she was licensed and she had just been hired. I told her about my various injuries. The first session she had done research on my shoulder and it feels terrific. The rest of my body feels like a truck hit it because I was so out of shape. I am impressed and thankful.

Finally, I spent the required one million dollars at REI and bought a single packers' tent and sleeping bag. What a luxury. Together, they weigh 5 pounds.Everything is all packed and waiting for my test run this morning into the Capay Valley. 4 miles up and back but elevation.

I have spent much more money han I thought I would this summer but after a difficult Spring, DH is just happy I am excited about something.

Beth: Congrats on reaching the first goal. That took amazing effort and determination on your part.
BBE: opposites, shopping is the first thing on my list as is a nice haircut. You men baffle me.
silverbrich: I agree that I would rather get somewhere traffic free and early than be trapped in the car.

Last edited by maryann; 06-16-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:50 PM   #68  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

I started out the day with a 40 minute walk--did a bit of back and forth so that I did most of the walk in the shaded wooded part of the trail!

Exercise for June: +40 340/300

Spontaneous exercise was shopping (I'll never understand men either). However, shopping for swimsuits is absolutely the worst. I found one, so that's done--but it wasn't fun.

I usually only have 3 products when I have a meal but today I really was hungry so I had a meal and 4 products. I'm not sure why today has been a hungry day. The meal was leftovers with some additional fresh veggies stir fried in. Totally on plan.

Tomorrow we're going to a car show--it'll be way too hot to be outside but DH loves old/antique/pre-WWII cars. I'll still get up and go for my walk--but I'll do it earlier!

I haven't been reporting in on this because I've been doing so well--I've been weighing every morning, checking my blood sugar every morning, and taking my meds. I've missed a day here and there but more on the order of every few weeks/month rather than multiple times a week. Giving myself some credit for that!

maryann: There's so much that we postpone when we're working--and it all piles up to be dealt with at once. I hope it calms down. Let us know how the trainer goes!

BillBlueEyes: I'm laughing at the image of you shopping and hating it. I'd never heard of "Forbidden Rice".

silverbirch: Sounds like you're accomplishing a lot for your mom.

G'night, all!

--Beth
Old 06-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Father's Day; Statue of Liberty arrives in New York Harbor (1885)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the movie theater to see RBG. So uplifting to learn how many key cases in women's rights were argued by her. Apparently, she'd become a cult figure among college women. I may have to order myself a Notorious RBG t-shirt. Such a joy to leave the theater after dark to walk home with folks out dining and drinking in the warm evening.

Eating is OK, CREDIT moi. I'm enjoying my prescribed Activia yogurt since I've never had yogurt prescribed by a doctor before. Having to fight the notion that if one is good for me then two would be better. Lunch was consumed at a "Customer Appreciation Day" at place that sells top shelf food and a huge array of plants. We walked among the plants being bought by serious folks pulling the store's wagons while nibbling samples from the grills. Only credit was to avoid the pastry and candy offerings. Our Father's Day celebration will be next week. We stopped by the best local BBQ place to checkout their family menu. Methinks we'll just order their big bundle for 6-8 people and let the kids take home the leftovers.

maryann - Congrats for taking the plunge and getting some personal trainer sessions. It is fun to spend money at REI.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Monster HUGE Kudos for buying a swimsuit; DW has assured me that there's no worse torture. Enjoy your car show today.

Readers -
Quote:

Try some of the exercises my patients ended up enjoying:
  • Take a daily walk or run.
  • Join a gym.
  • Swim laps or do water aerobics.
  • Exercise to a video tape, DVD, or TV fitness show.
  • Play a sport.
  • Hire a personal trainer.
  • Participate in exercise or dance classes.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #70  

Good Morning Coaches.

6mile hike with 20 pound pack. Super stiff this morning but happy at the accomplishment. I am going for a 100% product day.

Wave all.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #71  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all,

Credit for getting up in 90+ degree weather and walking. Exercise for June: +40 380/300

Spontaneous exercise today was the car show--and it was hot. We saw some really cool old cars, including quite a collection of Packards. DH and I got married at the Packard Museum in Dayton so that was pretty cool.

Food was OP today--3 products and a meal out. I hadn't really intended to start a meal every day yet, but I appear to be doing so. There are protein leftovers in the fridge, so I have some choices for tomorrow :-)

BillBlueEyes: I've heard good things about RGB but haven't seen it.

maryann: 6 miles with a 20 lb pack is wow! That's fantastic!

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Astrophysicist Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space (1983)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked 2.5 miles around the local nature area in the pleasant air before dinner, CREDIT moi. We startled a Green Heron roosting in a tree - an unusual spot. Many birds were out; many dogs were being walked; the native plants were healthy. Pure magic.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi, including a vegan soup for lunch at an event where the high school seniors talked about heading off to college. These are kids I've known their whole lives and all of a sudden they speak like adults - a powerful transformation. My notion of vegan soup is salt water with a little rice floating about. This vegan soup was solid grains and veggies covered with a little broth - yummy.

maryann - Practicing with a 20 pound pack is an accomplishment - Kudos. Hope the stiff feeling subsides quickly.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats for being comfortable with your meal a day even if you've drifted into it before your July plan. We saw a bunch of Packards recently when watching the DVD of The Godfather. I know, I know, it's from 1972 but we'd never seen it. I hadn't realized that Diane Keaton was in it. Marlon Brando was awesome. The cars were all 1940's vintage even as the movie moved into the 1950's.

Readers -
Quote:

No matter what form of planned exercise you choose, start out at a reasonable level. It's not realistic to go from doing nothing to exercising 30 minutes a day. You'll just get sore muscles or possibly injure yourself - then you're likely to give up exercising completely.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #73  
in development

Back home and starting to settle in again. It takes time to change gear, get used to my own food* and take up the routine that works best for me.

* Having said that, we are going to be test eating ready meals which Mum might like. She and I had a couple of disgusting ones last week. Ready meals have never been part of our world.

My decluttering and organising business cards have arrived and look excellent. I'd better get insurance lined up.

Bill, the nature reserve sounds quite lovely. That transformation of children into adults is fabulous, isn't it?

Beth, credit for following the path into proper food!

maryann, you are training hard! Well done.

Wave to all and good wishes for a great day.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #74  
Green Tomatoes

We've been doing some morning walks, so I'm keeping up with my exercise goals in spite of the heat. I had a good weekend of planning, I gave up a couple of projects and added a couple of different ones that are going to work well for me.

One project is a huge overhaul, revamping, clearing out, organizing, of my office. It's large -- most people would have made this room their master bedroom, but we chose the other one because we didn't care about having that much space. But I do all my work in a tiny corner on a little desk and the rest of my office is storing a lot of stuff that I never look at. I want to make the whole space more project-oriented and box up (or get rid of) anything that isn't a current project.

CREDIT for making a food plan for today. I've been neglecting that. It often keeps me on track and reduces the number of times I think about food and the number of decisions that I make in a day. I like that!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #75  

90% OP yesterday. Today I am aiming for 100% OP with products. This mornings' breakfast was tasty enough egg/bacon scramble with a side of baked apples.

Like you said [B]Silverbirch[/B, there is trial and error with prepackaged meals. But there are some tasty ones out there.

I will drop DS off at school and then go straight to gym. This will help me keep my committed firm.

Congrats gardenerjoy on rethinking space. I have a larger work space table which makes projects so much easier. Even separating out papers to correct makes the work go more quickly.

Beth: It was just a while ago you were not exercising at all. Congrats.

BBE: Some of my entrees are vegan and surprisingly tasty.
Closed Thread