Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:10 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - World Ocean Day (since 2008, United Nations)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was enjoyed on the patio wearing an outer shirt against the chill. I left half of my pork chop. It's a big deal for me to leave meat even when it's only delayed for a later meal. A couple of new friends of DW dropped by to see her garden. She gets such compliments for the variety of native plants growing in our small space. She accepts that her Peonies are not native, but a cluster of purple and a cluster of white mark the entrance to a small path - a striking design. The Robins have fledged so the parents are no longer buzzing us on the way to deliver worms to the nest. The season progresses.

My major accomplishment was to defeat Adobe Acrobat's attempt to prevent me from modifying a document that I've been working on (off and on) for a month. Turns out that certain parts of the document were locked - a feature that I didn't know about. Regardless of how many different programs I used in attempt to change the document, it always eventually reverted back to the original. I finally got a clean, new version and now all is well.

silverbirch – Yay for delivering stuff to the charity shop. I have three books on how to declutter my life - that's 3.0 books. Soon they will be, themselves, a category to be decluttered, LOL.

maryann - Kudos for being gentle on yourself. [I am so impressed with your San Francisco Exploratorium - wish that was nearby for DGD visits.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Neat that you can recognize that your house hunt is not life threatening. Kudos for restraint facing a sausage patty.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9 Select an Exercise Plan
did you know?
The Centers for Disease Control report that only 17.5 percent of dieters combine dieting with exercise. No wonder it's so difficult for most people to lose weight, much less keep it off.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 108.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Ta Da!!! Last day of school. Funny, the stress has slowly dissipated so that I hardly feel the emotional impact. I also tend to want to shut down emotionally saying goodbye to my hundred kids. Credit for being present while the students do their own processing. Hugs and thank yous all around. I go to the "holding tank" duty tonite. We release them into the stadium and then go home. I am proud of a job well done.

Boy am I looking forward to next week. I have dozens of little projects and I will start my "couch to Whitney" (self named) program. But first and foremost is to pick another diet to follow. I am going to look into "Bistro" and also do some serious reading on the newest research.

beth: Credit for a dinner out and stopping at one bite over. Nicely done.

bbe: I always just buy the new program. I have no confidence I can figure anything out.

silverbirch: The afternoon remains less disciplined. I need to figure out as well how I can become more productive in terms of health. I just get so tired. I am reading Toibins' Brooklyn. The movie is a lot better and I NEVER say that.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone. My DD had surgery yesterday and it went quite well. She feels miserable but I know everything is going well and no complications. I won't get into the details now, I'm relieved it's over. We'll be here until weds. The Brigham hospital has some he healthy choices so starting tomorrow I will take advantage of that😀
Old 06-09-2018, 12:26 AM   #34  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

I'm pleased to report an OP 5 product day. This is a bit of an accomplishment since we were out and about and my 9:00 pm bar didn't happen until 10:15 pm. I did not grab a snack anywhere else, so big win. When you're only on 800 calories a day, that evening snack becomes pretty important.

Credit for today--I only had about an hour between when I finished working and when I needed to take DD to the airport (saving her the cost of an Uber). I knew I wouldn't walk if I waited until afterwards, because I wanted to go shopping for shoes. So, I used that hour to its best advantage, drove over the forest preserve, and walked around the lake.

June exercise: +30 139/300

curlyjax: I'm glad the procedure went well. Thinking of you and hoping she's less miserable.

maryann: Congrats on finishing out the school year! I'm interested to hear what your diet research shows. One I've had success with in the past is the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. No special foods. No counting. Simple rules. My obesity doctor says that's basically what I should plan on doing for the rest of my life. The weight loss and maintenance programs focus on low carb--less than 100 g of carbs per day.

BillBlueEyes: The peonies sound lovely. I always admire beautiful gardens.

silverbirch: Sounds like your decluttering is still continuing apace. What makes the afternoons hard? Are you concerned you're too sedentary then or that you tend to eat then and not the way you'd like to? (Do you want your coaches to brainstorm ideas?)

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Jacques Cartier sails into the mouth of the St. Lawrence River (1534)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Completed the task of filling out the Adobe Acrobat documents, sending them to another person for electronic signature in the 'cloud', then forwarding them to the bureaucrat waiting for them, then making several phone calls to the bureaucracy to get them accepted with the time stamp showing them to be on time. Just the normal stuff, but exacerbated by the difficulty I had figuring out how to modify an Adobe Acrobat document that had been locked by someone else. I am baffled how signing a document via one's keyboard makes it legal. But it sure is more convenient than the previous technique of printing, signing, then faxing the document to the bureaucracy.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the subway to get to the doctor's office for a minor appointment. Ended up talking about high-verbal young girls with the physician who has a non-stop-talking 20 month old daughter. Got the feedback that I wanted that high-verbal does confuse folks because they assume the kid must be super smart. Or wise. Or capable of avoiding trouble.

maryann - Welcome to school's-over time. Love the name "couch to Whitney" for your exercise regime.

curlyjax - So glad your DD is on the path to recovery. Hope you can find a way to healthy eating with hospital food.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Kudos for using your one hour well. Staying on plan without snacks when "out and about" is an accomplishment.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Start

If you're not already doing so, you should engage in two kinds of exercise: spontaneous exercise (taking advantage of situations you're in to get more exercise) and planned exercise (setting a specific time to do a specific type of exercise).

Old 06-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #36  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Last day of school was a long one. It was moving to see the graduates in their cap and gowns. Many of the kids I didn't recognized when they were all dolled up. There were a some terrific kids giving my hugs and that makes it worthwhile. But I also know there were kids who didn't hug who I helped. I have to remind myself of this as the desire to retire grows. I have one packet of research reports I'll do on Monday and then the books are closed. I am already out of my classroom. There has been no plan for food and half of my calories at least have been sugar. Credit for a least moderate the calories but I am ready for a plan.

I have decided to invest in BistroMD for two weeks. What really worked for my with Nutrisystem was the "decision-less" aspect of the program. Eat what is in the freezer. Simple. Proportions and sitting down weren't a problem. It was the food that made my body go haywire. I have gained back all but 4 pounds. Still, I am 4 pounds lower. My hope with Bistro is that I can tolerate the food. It seems more veggie oriented and I have picked the "menopause" plan. this is closest to the Zone proportions I liked. I am going to check out the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet as my back up. Thanks, Beth.

BBE: Having been a teacher for 30 yers, I can say that the capacity of a girl to talk is infinite at any age. It is just the way we are built.

Last edited by maryann; 06-09-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

Busy week. Food stayed, mostly, reasonable. I'm not sure if current fatigue and lethargy are a product of the busy-ness or the blooming weeds and grasses. In any case, here's what's likely to help:
  • Neti pot
  • Self neck & face massage to drain sinuses
  • Time with friends
  • Time alone

I think I can manage all of that today, but it's time to get moving on it.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:58 AM   #38  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

We were out and about all day so I brought an extra shake and 3 bars with me--and kept refilling my water bottle. Tomorrow I'm going to make taco salad for dinner. Mine will have taco meat, but no extra shell/bowl/carbs. Lots of vegetables :-).

I'm a little scared looking ahead to eating real food, but I only will have to make decisions for one meal a day. And I can make all of the week's decisions at one time so that I'm only following a plan each week. And I can meet with the dietitian to help me make that plan. These are things I can do.

No exercise today, so +0 139/300

We looked at a bunch of houses--may even have found one. We're going to look it again on Monday we think and do all sorts of discussions and calculations between now and then.

I plan to get up and go walk first think in the morning (or whatever passes for first thing in the morning for me)

joy: Hi! Hope your selfcare has worked out well today.

maryann: I didn't even know something like the BistroMD diet existed--it sounds like a good thing to try.

BillBlueEyes: Bureaucracy is a pain. One thing about highly verbal children in general is that it's easy to forget that their emotional skills and their verbal skills aren't in sync. They can show their cognitive ability so well adults sometimes expect them to have that advanced behavior as well--and it just doesn't work that way. (Hence a crying fit because the train isn't out the front door :-))

G'night all

--Beth
Old 06-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Benjamin Franklin captures lightning in a Leyden jar (1752, Philadelphia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, about a fair around the water department and the reservoir where we frequently go birding. Had a chance to talk to the city Animal Control Officer about the three deer that are happily eating the new plantings as soon as they're put in the ground. She kindly pointed out that Animal Control works with domestic animals; the Fish and Wildlife Commission works with wild animals. She couldn't help. So I asked about the Wild Turkeys in town. Same answer. She did make the argument that turkeys eat bugs and invasive plants making them more useful than harmful. OK. Maybe. They're a pest to most of us.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi, despite having a roll at the fair. Just a dry roll - but one from our best local bakery that donates several bags of them each year to this event. It reminded me that I can't buy their stuff on a regular basis because I'd just become a bread glutton. DW and I sat outside in daylight until 8:30 pm. This summer solstice thing creeps up on me each year. I don't expect it to arrive until summer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat to recognize that you need both time with friends and time alone.

maryann - Yay for being done with your kids all capped-and-gowned. Good luck with your BistroMD journey.

Beth (bethturnaround) – The taco meat with lots of veggies sounds great. I do regret that corn tortillas were ever invented. [That's exactly it, "their emotional skills and their verbal skills aren't in sync." It's like early high-verbal becomes a burden.]

Readers -
Quote:

How to Start

Before starting an exercise program, check with your health-care provider. He or she will take your current state of health and weight into consideration and can then make suggestions or confirm that your choices are appropriate for you.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #40  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Happy it is Sunday but still plagued with waking up at 3:30 a.m. Puttered yesterday with DS for company. Nice.

Bistro delivery has yet to materialized . HMMMMMM. weight at ticker plus exercise at the gym.

My plan today is to empty the large chest of drawers filled with untouched sewing material that sits picturesquely in my room. I will fill it with winter clothes. That is what it is for since it is cedar. A trip to the donation center always makes me feel lighter.

gardenerjoy: Lethargy is often my response to too much contact with people. My counselor calls it pain balls that people carry around. I have to be careful.
BBE: What is it with turkeys and crows? Geesh!
Beth: Credit for packing food so you are prepared. It is a huge part of my success at not getting back over 200 pounds.

It just occurred to me that I am the same weight I was when I got married sixteen years ago. Not bad.

Last edited by maryann; 06-10-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #41  
Green Tomatoes

Sunday is the day that I plan my week. Usually, I enjoy it, but I feel myself procrastinating because I know I have to make decisions. Artificial deadlines are looming and I can't meet them all. I hate when my ideal plan doesn't match with the reality of the number of hours in a day. I will have a better day if I take a few minutes to carefully consider, make the decisions that need to be made, and make a new plan for what I can't get done right now. The alternative is that I'll end up overeating over the uncertainty. This is why I write my plans in pencil not stone!

I will have a de-cluttering success today. I was thinking about rearranging some shelves, but first I needed to clear shelves. One item that came up was something I had a bit of fun with almost 20 years ago -- Viewmasters and reels. But they've been sitting on a shelf for more than a decade with a little sentimentality attached, but no real appreciation. I mused on Facebook last night that one of my friends might be able to appreciate my collection. Someone responded and I'm meeting him for coffee this afternoon to give him a box. I'm very pleased with this outcome. It feels better than giving them to Goodwill where I can't be sure if they'll end up in a dumpster. Now, I know they're going to someone who will likely look at them at least once and, maybe, a decade from now, give them to someone else who will look at them at least once. And that's two more times than they would be looked at on my shelf.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 AM   #42  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone.

My plans for an early night were thwarted by the weather (and idiots at the airport). DD's flight was supposed to come in at 9. It came in at 10 and they didn't let passengers off the plane until 11. And nobody at the airport seemed to understand the protocol for picking up passengers (or that they belonged at the cell phone lot until their passenger was ready to open the car door). Oh well. We're all home now.

Food was good tonight, but deviated from plan. When I went to make the taco salads I discovered that the lettuce wasn't good. So, instead we went to a Mediterranean place and I had a steak salad--much like the taco salad concept. Then we went to the grocery store so we'd be able to have taco salad tomorrow :-)

It was raining on and off today so I went to the car to drive to the lake for my walk. I decided that if it was raining, I'd walk at the gym, but either way, I was going for a walk. It wasn't raining and I had a lovely walk.

Exercise: +41 June: 180/300

I've dropped my current weight to 182. I'm 2 lbs from my initial goal weight, which is really exciting.

joy: Congrats on the decluttering success!. Planning is something that makes such a big difference--but it can be so daunting that we just want to hide our heads under our pillows.

maryann: Day of credits--exercise at gym :-). Do you find it valuable to mind yourself of how far you've come--that you're not over 200 lbs anymore? That's such a huge success.

BillBlueEyes: Noone wants to take responsibility for wild deer and turkeys. Credit for the walk--and for holding yourself to one roll!

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 06-11-2018, 05:47 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Captain James Cook runs aground (1770, Great Barrier Reef)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had lunch at a table of fourteen at the elegant home of a friend served with as much silver as the table could hold. I am grateful to whoever taught me manners that I knew which was the soup spoon and which the spoon to leave untouched for dessert (by location in the setting). They looked very similar - perhaps identical - with more pointed tips than a more bowl-like shape. I skipped the pasta dish, CREDIT moi, to have the salmon and asparagus. It was a fun affair of friends at the home of a couple who had gathered silver when it was easily available. (Reminds me of the friend who has a "mayonnaise jar" of gold jewelry that she collected when she was young and broke and just loved gold.)

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the drugstore in the lingering light after dinner. Summer evening hours are so pleasing. For whatever reason we don't have bugs that would make this uncomfortable. As much as I'd like to live in Alaska some day, the threat of zillions of bugs makes me hesitant.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I so cheer de-cluttering success. May it be contagious.

maryann - Diet tip of the week: "A trip to the donation center always makes me feel lighter."

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for making it home from the airport despite the failings of the pickup systems. Sounds like an opportunity for someone with a systems operations mentality to step in and offer their services.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Start - Spontaneous Exercise
You can start incorporating spontaneous exercise into your day right now. From today on, do the following:
  • Always try to arrive at your destination ahead of time, so you can get off the bus or park far away and walk the extra distance.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-12-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Typo - an -> can
Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #44  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am started to feel better. Just overall BETTER. This has been a slow process and it might be temporary but for today, I am grateful. I ticked my scale down another pound as it seems the meds are having less side effects my real weight is coming back - the one that make sense with my eating. Exercise was the treadmill for one half an hour.

Like gardenerjoy, I released the sewing materials to a good friend facing retirement. She is excited to have both time and materials to create. My closet feels light and airy.

BBE: I went to a California style swanky affair in a vineyard. It was my VP's retirement party and her vineyard. Beautiful setting, beautiful day and good company. BTW we might be making our college tour out to Boston mid july. DS has to take a day off summer school but we will see. The plan is Tufts, Boston College, Boston University, and Berklee College of Music. Tips on pairing them up. We have to see two per day.

Beth: That's great you did you walk. Is that THE lake in Chicago - the big city. I have been there.

Monday - Day 1 Couch to Whitney Treadmill at elevation setting. I am going to try to do 20 min miles for 2.25 miles.

Last edited by maryann; 06-11-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #45  
Green Tomatoes

I'm posting later than I mean to, but I'm posting.

I'm aiming to eat three salads today. One down, two to go. One may be after a meeting this evening. I don't usually eat that late, but I also often come home hungry from evening meetings. A salad is a good compromise.
Closed Thread