Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #76  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

I managed to get in a walk in the 90+ degree weather -- there was a nice breeze though as cooler weather was blowing in. It started raining shortly after I got home, so I'm glad I walked first with the plan to do errands after.

Exercise for June: +30 410/300

Today, food was OP--4 products, a bowl of chicken salad, and half a banana. Tomorrow will be an on plan colonoscopy prep day but totally off plan for my diet. Can't have both. Chicken broth and jello. Yum :-(

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #77  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Check in

Coaches:

My goal has been to fast a minimum of 16hrs everyday for a month before I consciously cut back my carbs. I want to get this timing business down first before I add another "degree of difficulty". I started May 29 and have kept it. Today is day 21. Credit. My weight isn't responding as I am not being very careful with my food choices. As the days go by and the weight stays up I am more and more anxious to add the net step but will wait until I have a solid month in. Credit for a plan.

I have picked up a second farmers' market. I am now at a market Saturday and Sunday and I am not fighting the decision but happy to do it. The new Sunday market was a risky gut move but it was a good one. I do believe I have finally found my people. Wow. Very grateful.

I am busy decluttering at home and have made good progress. I even put a side table full of sentimentality on the curb. One of the 1st pieces of furniture bought after I left home at 18. Sigh. It's gone now but I have a pain in my tummy about it even though it was right to do. I am planning to abandon two bookcases out there tomorrow night (real garbage night again!) And this will require... Yes... A culling of books. That seems to be a readymade phrase... A culling of books..like A murder of crows.. I digress... Anyway I have this week to really get the main rooms in order. DH starts holidays for a week in Saturday as I told him he needs that week off so I can take the car everyday next week to an art center about 2hrs away give or take to attend a week long intensive painting workshop. 9:30 to 4 daily. That is my summer holiday. Then on Saturday I have a day long Business of Art class with the instructor and his wife who handles all the marketing and promotion. She/they are masters at this. Also he is the kind of teacher I would like to be in many ways so I hope to learn that angle as well as puzzle over my artwork. Very exciting.

Long update but I am here. I am swamped.

Bye for now.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Eratosthenes estimates the circumference of Earth (240 BC, Egypt)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to a sushi place for dinner. We were impressed with the elegant simplicity: a counter seating 15, two Japanese chefs visibly displaying practiced techniques, simple decoration, delightful menu, lowish prices, cash only. Chatted with the owners afterward just celebrating the joy and left a generous tip just because. Wish every restaurant visit was that much fun.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the possibility that sushi caused me to be under calories for the day. Waked to the library to return two books that were sitting on the stack with little desire to finish them. I skimmed them, read summaries online, and let them go. Too many books to read to allow myself to suffer with my childhood notion that I MUST finish a book that I start. Picked up four books for the DGD - so hard to guess which books will appeal to her. She's been known to reject a book just by looking at the cover.

onebyone – "A culling of books" sounds ominous. When you're successful, drop by and help me. Super that you've now got two selling days every weekend.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the notion of making your working space more useful overall.

silverbirch – Yay for having your business cards. Good luck with your quest to find edible ready meals.

maryann - Sometimes "tasty enough" is a winner.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Walking at 90+ degree weather is heroic. Good luck with your colonoscopy prep - whose only positive notion is a brief dip in weight.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9 Select an Exercise Plan

How to Start - Planned Exercise

If you've been relatively sedentary, start with walking five minutes every day until it feels relatively easy. Then gradually add a minute at a time to your walk. Remind yourself that even five minutes is better than zero minutes!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 109.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is two sets of errands. I'm resolved to eat nothing while I'm out. That is such an important practice for me, because my slippery slope in that arena is steep and rapid.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #80  
in development

Didn't manage to post this morning as I have decided to get up and do at least the basic set of exercises. And since then I've been working through my morning list and my afternoon list. A short pause now and then I'll move on to making the tea and getting ready for tomorrow.

There are three things which make my day go smoothly:
  1. Prepare packed lunches and my breakfast the night before.
  2. Do exercises in the morning, early for preference.
  3. Knowing what we're having for tea.
I'm still getting back into the groove after being away but I'm getting there.

Wave to all.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches- I wrote a lovely post the other day and lost it. So now I am back to cutting and pasting!
DD is back home and doing well, although it will be a long recovery. She is a MUCH more difficult patient than DH every was which makes everything even harder. We argue quite a bit and its very hard. However, she has been cleared to drive so that is great, she can get out on her own a bit. We haven’t really settled into a routine and I need to get back to doing my stretches at least.
I found out I did not get the job, and it went to someone who has less experience than I do and worse people skills. Major oh well. I resolve to take it easy this summer, get DD all set at college, then look for another job elsewhere. I am tired of being passed over.
I need to find some small fun things to do to make the summer nicer. I think I will try to go kayaking in the early evenings, that would be very peaceful.

Wave to all!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Jaws released by Steven Spielberg (1975)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had lunch with two friends, one 89 years old. It blows my mind that I know folks that old much less that I have lunch with them to discuss how we'll solve some major world problem that interests us. Consumption was modest, CREDIT moi. Followed that by getting my electric car inspected for the MA state sticker. Spent almost an hour chatting with the guy who wanted to know about electric cars since he foresees that selling gas has a bounded future. The big uncertainty of an inspection is whether the car will pass emissions test with a device connected to the tailpipe. My car passed easily since I have no emissions, have no tailpipe.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. The snacks are not yet back down to none, but they are limited and healthy. Dinner was on the patio at my house; lunch was on the patio of my friend's house. It's pleasant weather time around here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, I do know about "steep and rapid."

silverbirch – Kudos for getting stuff done the night before.

curlyjax - Great new that your DD is recovering. Sorry to hear about the job. Love the notion of "kayaking in the early evenings."

Readers -
Quote:

Solve Common Exercise Problems
Many health or lifestyle issues can make starting an exercise program more difficult, but they shouldn't rule out exercise. However, you might need to be creative. If you can't figure out a way to fit in exercise, consult your diet coach or consider what you'd tell a friend who came to you with the same problem. Though dieters have told me about many problems they initially thought were unsolvable, we were able to figure out solutions.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:47 AM   #83  
in development

Got up early and did the basic exercises. Credit! The next big step is to tog up and do a morning's gardening. The front garden is a lovely spring garden but then there is a pause before summer flowers arrive. What's arriving at present, and in great quantities, is grass pollen and grass seed from all the pastures and hedgerows around. I intend to have yet another bash at weeding it out.

Food is really not very good. I've gone back to eating more bread than necessary and that affects my success rate which is negative at present.

Bill, your electric car is really working well for you. I was telling the DB the other day about how testers used to see if a screwdriver would go through borderline rusty car metalwork. They probably still do.

curlyjax, very good to hear that DD is getting better. Perhaps being argumentative is a good sign. (Trying to be positive here!) Sorry to hear about the job application. I like your plan of taking it easy, getting things straight and then looking around in the autumn. Could you put the word out now that you're looking for another job?

gardenerjoy, eating nothing when out - such a good idea.

OK, time to go outside and get on with it.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

check in. two pounds above ticker. working through some stuffbut aware that if I eat I'll have two problems instead of 1.

Mary Ann
Old 06-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

3FC changed some interface stuff overnight for me. We get a lot more options for changing text in the basic window. Plus, did you see that BillBlueEyes has the new title of ThreadStarter? I'm also seeing an "Auto-Save" notice pop up once in a while, so maybe we'll lose fewer posts.

I successfully avoided eating out of the house yesterday. That required me to squash an idea to walk at the mall because it was so hot. It was going to be too hard to avoid food there. So, I did stretches and strength-training at home. A little variety in my exercise is good.

Today's challenge is a restaurant supper. We're celebrating my birthday with my brother, more than a month after the date. Before I logged on here, I went to the restaurant's web site and chose what I'll eat tonight. CREDIT! If the serving is too large, which it may well be, I'll bring half of it home for lunch tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #86  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today was my procedure this morning and a lot of sleep. In fact, I'm about to go back to bed for the night. Food was fine--3 products and DD made a plate for me of a pile of greens and veggies with chicken salad on top. Oh--and I enjoyed a half banana :-)

I had thought I'd walk today but I overestimated my energy. No walk. No forest preserve walk tomorrow because I'm going downtown for work and there's an evening event--but I'll do some walking back and forth to the train station, and if I get a break in my day, I may take a 20 minute walk around midday.

Good night, all.

--Beth

below is what I wrote last night but apparently didn't send

I'm up late tonight doing my colonoscopy prep (maybe my weight will show down in the morning), and as anyone who has been through this knows, it's no fun at all.

I figure I had less than 200 calories today, since chicken broth and sugar free jello barely have any calories and I had one glass of apple juice which has some. I packed one of my bars in my purse so I'll be able to eat as soon as the procedure is over.

No walking today--had work, then weight loss class, and then prep--no time to be out enjoying myself! June exercise +0 410/300 I do plan on walking tomorrow--I'll have time after work. I'm starting to make it a priority and something I want to do. I'm starting to think about adding in some resistance work, but I'm going to wait for a while.

[b]

I pulled on an old t-shirt to wear around the house tonight--and instead of fitting me 'normally', it is like a night dress--I was flabbergasted when I put it on and discovered that. Nicely flabbergasted, though.

curlyjax: I hope your daughter's recovery goes smoothly. I really feel for her. She's fighting with you because you're safe, but she must really be hurting, as you are.

silverbirch: I think identifying what makes your day go smoothly is the hugest chunk of making them happen.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #87  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Plus's+Minus's

Coaches

I continue to tow the happy bottom lines I have set for myself for this month. The apartment decluttering project is starting to shift into a reno project "apartment style". This means no tearing things up and replacing them but I am moving pieces of furniture out the door and moving furniture inside into new and improved spaces. Today I worked to create a "writing nook" in an alcove just off the main hall. I moved my desk from the bedroom into that space. To do that I boxed up the books from one low shelf (three 1/2 bankers boxes) and put that bookcase on the curb. And I cleared off a rickety wooden shelf, the kind you'd find in a garage. It held a lot of ceramic underglazes, a small printing press, some prints, a kitty carry case, a box of silk screens for printmaking and 3 bags of molds for making ceramics. Most of that stuff will head to the studio as is. Not much to sort just how much to keep.

That tall shelf went to the curb and was claimed within an hour like the yellow side table I put out last week. I carried yet another side table from the living room into the bedroom where the desk was. It's just holding that space for a short time. Eventually it will switch places with my dresser.

DH is pretty stunned by all this. And he told me he is moving his stuff off the alcove bookcase so I will move it out as well and remove my cabinet from his room to put into its place. It has doors so I have a chance at keeping the space neat.

Foodwise still intermittent fasting. So I am on plan. I have 31 days of fasting and then I will add a low carb foodplan. Day 22 under my belt. No real weight loss but I have stopped the gain. Getting anxious now to see the scale start to drop which is what I hoped would happen.

Good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-20-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Summer Solstice

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the DGD day (2.5 yo). She had to be carried up the last 30 of the 124 stairs of the tower we took her to as her "adventure" of the day. "I like adventures," she pronounced. Her favorite thing was, again, swirling a stick in a pond picking out vegetation and putting it back in. Even though she's only 30-something pounds, carrying her up those stairs was an effort. I need more exercise.

Dinner was the potluck before our book club. Turned out to be all salads - just wonderful on a hot summer evening. However, those salads included grains, roasted veggies, and beans as well as the traditional salad greens. It was a satisfying meal well within my calorie and healthy foods bounds. I did have a dessert of hot sweet-potato pie - for me an unusual dish. Our book celebrated William Smith who discovered modern geology by noting the bands of sedimentary rocks across Wales and England, The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology by Simon Winchester. He was the first to note that each layer contained different fossils and that that indicated the ages of the strata. Learned of the discarded theory of the time, Neptunism, that rocks were formed from the minerals in the sea.

onebyone – Congrats for continuing your decluttering and renovations.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Happy Birthday! Kudos for recognizing that mall food smells can be too tempting. Yep, the site software was updated very quickly to avoid some problem or another. There are a number of small changes to learn to deal with.

silverbirch – Can't wait to use "tog up" on some unsuspecting American-English friends who won't suspect that I'm donning my coat. May you survive the excess pollen in the air.

maryann - Thanks for the old reminder that we can create two problems instead of one.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for being done with "that procedure." Your veggies with chicken sound great. Congrats on that NSV with the t-shirt.

Readers -
Quote:

Solve Common Exercise Problems
Here are a few:

Problem:I have two small children who need constant supervision.
Solutions: Exercise at a fitness center that offers child care. Swap babysitting with another parent. Exercise with your children to a family fitness video, ride bikes, or walk. Exercise to a fitness DVD while your children play nearby.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches. Yesterday was my wedding anniversary, it would have been 20 years. I got thru it quite well and did not indulge food wise. In fact I haven’t had any dessert in 2 days so yay. I do let myself have microwaved frozen blueberries with granola as a dessert if i’m hungry, but that is way better than more caloric alternative.

I have forgotten how filling a few chicken meatballs can be as a snack/mini meal- 4 for 160 calories, with a lot of protein. There’s probably too much salt in them, but i’m looking for ideas other than peanut butter, cheese and hummus as a protein filled snack so I don’t get too hungry between meals.

School is almost over for DS- last week of finals and then just a fun day next Monday. He really needs to catch up on his sleep! Actually we all do

I hear DD so I need to run, will get back to personals soon. I miss having my mornings to myself!

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Congratulations, onebyone. It is stunning how much progress you are making. I know how you have struggled with decluttering. Give yourself lots of credit.

Beth: I am glad the procedure went well. No, it is never fun. I didn't lose any weight because all the cr*** they give you has so much salt in it. Drat!

gardenerjoy: I think people ( or I) underestimate the power of the kinds of small choices required to lose weight. Your avoiding the mall made all the difference in that day. Sometimes just putting my tennis shoes in the car makes a difference. I'll sneak out for a walk rather than go to a coffee shop. It is a double win.

BBE; I was wondering a while back about your gym. I remembered you would lineup the weights in numerical order to give yourself a little more strength training. Are you still a member?

curleyjax: two days without dessert is a big deal.

As for me, I need to make a few food decisions like gardenerjoy. It is spa weekend with the girls. Every meal I pack or cut in half is a win. I think I will bring my prepared smoothies and have one for lunch each day.

1 pound from ticker.

I am not sure if i wrote that i canceled BISTRO MD. Although better than Nutrisystem, the food is just too foreign and I never ate the same thing twice in a given week. I don't like that. Plus it is too expensive: $200 a week. I have taken that money and spent some of it on a personal trainer at the gym. She is terrific and I know she will help me reach my goals to Mt. Whitney. It makes exercising interesting and productive.

Last edited by maryann; 06-21-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Closed Thread