Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I think the peak of color around my eye was yesterday. It will probably be two or three weeks before it's gone, but it's nice to see a little less of it this morning.

Sleep hasn't been good for a week, since I hurt myself sleeping, really. I suppose that's not too surprising. I hope that it starts improving soon, too.

Credit for journaling my way through emotions this morning. We'll see if that helps.

Weigh-in: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +30, 265/1100 minutes for May

ennay: Welcome back!

onebyone: If it helps, I prefer brooches to pendants. Especially 2" diameter ones. They look great up close to the shoulder, drawing attention to the face.

maryann: Thank you for witnessing your students' slam poetry -- that sounds like a powerful experience for them and you. And, I think it's super that you show them a balance by moving on to children's books. Knowing how to move from raging emotion to pure pleasure is a terrific life skill.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #62  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I have to call by to say that se'night is archaic from, say, 12th to 15th centuries. I like the idea of it so I thought I'd share it with you.

Also calling by to say that I've been going badly off the rails this afternoon. A dodgy start to the day and a rocky morning led to a ropey afternoon. Almost teatime here and then I'm giving myself the evening off.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. Endless day. Still at track meet. When I go home, the kitchen is closed.

I’ll have a nice quiet dinner tomorrow. I will not eat the inappropriate food at the snack bar I worked for three hours. Hunger is not an emergency.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #64  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Food is staying sane, credit. A 14-hour workday so far - taking a break for 10 mins to stretch and check in. Another couple of hours to go and then sleep. Hopefully it comes quick. Two more days before I fly out. I'm counting down - two weeks until I'm back home and done I don't want to wish away time because for others, it's so limited. But a lot of PR issues that we're having to work through.

I told DH we're just going to end up doing some prepared foods for this one week every year it seems. Bought some that actually I think he'll like, but they're still clean ingredients. Lunches have remained salads for me, this package was nearly all arugula, but it's not my favorite. Credit for soldiering through it. I like some reddish "greens" that I don't know what they are - dark purple actually, but not cabbage, it's not crunchy like radiccio.

Goal - stay calm and centered through the next two weeks.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #65  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Give and Take

Coaches

I think I will be allowing coffee into my life again. It fills the void for me between eating and not eating in a way that nothing else does. It punctuated my meals as well. I don't think I can fight all these battles at once and get my market business going my online business going plus make Real Art for show submissions and for possible Masters Program submissions. And declutter and stick to a foodplan. Wow I am really asking a lot of myself. Its unrealistic no wonder I am procrastinating. Self preservation says don't start on this foolish quest because you will surely fail or burn out trying.

On the plus side today I bought the food I need to stay on my foodplan. On the minus side I overate. I did not have sugar or coffee or eat after 7. But I ate way past full at lunch and then lay down and then slept for 3 hours. That is not normal for me and says I am still recovering from my cold and I am still procrastinating. On the plus side again though I asked our neighbour if he would help DH move our big couch to the curb when real garbage day comes around again. He said sure and offered the help of his sons as well. So I have 2 weeks to get the kitchen dining room and hall cleared out and normal looking for when everyone is in here to do that. That's a hard deadline and it's perfect to make me get going. Yay me! Scale reading: 270.8

maryann: how wonderful to get those kids to reveal themselves in their poems. How rough it must be to hear what they have to say and deal with. I would have a tough time detaching, but it sure would motivate me to keep in trying to be a positive force in their life. Huge kudos to you for trying. Children's books feels like a great change of direction. Excellent work staying the course with your food as well. Credit!

Last edited by onebyone; 05-11-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #66  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Yet another day where I have to report 0/300 for exercise.

I did, however, walk really fast to the train station today. I'm not counting it as exercise, but the walks from train to office to meeting to train at least had me moving around!

--Beth
Old 05-11-2018, 02:42 AM   #67  
in development

Another day of challenges no doubt awaits me. Yesterday was pretty demanding. I've had my breakfast and I plan to do flexibility exercises next. It's colder, windier and damper than it was a few days ago but that needn't stop me. I want to eat nicely today.

We all seem extremely busy at the moment.

beth, walking is such great exercise. I haven't been doing enough of it recently.

onebyone, it takes a while to get over colds and bronchitis (?). I know what you mean about coffee being between eating and not eating.

nationalparker, calm and centred is a good focus.

maryann, thanks.

gardenerjoy, colour is nice but in the right place.

curlyjax, we have a push mower and I like it a lot.

Bill, potty training. It will all be fine eventually, as you know! Sand and water sounds nice.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:36 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - IBM's Deep Blue defeats Garry Kasparov in chess match (1997, NY, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Early morning bird walk, CREDIT moi. The Blackburnian Warbler was the treat - the chest of the male actually looks that brilliant. This is the peak moment for seeing the migrating Warblers: many will move on; others become hard to spot as the trees leaf out.

Eating was OK. Dinner was leftovers simply because gardener DW spent the entire day repotting our tomatoes. She's become convinced that putting them outside before about June 1st is a setback to their happiness. They'll stay under the grow lights inside until then. She's no longer using the specialty 'Grow Lights' that cost double; found that her plants grow faster under normal Daylight Temperature bulbs. Scientific experiments of one coupled with anecdotal stories from her gardening club drive choices. I drool at the thought of fresh garden tomatoes. In a se'night, my Spring classes will be done.

onebyone – Kudos for setting up a situation to serve as a deadline for the next phase of decluttering.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Glad to hear that the color has peaked - a phrase we use around here in the Fall.

silverbirch"Colder, windier and damper" is the wrong direction for Spring.

maryann - Just amazing how much emotion your students are willing to expose. Congrats for being the teacher who causes that to happen.

nationalparker – Yep, those dark colored greens make salads look great. You do work long days during this period.

curlyjax - Yay for a physical push mower. The sound is so much more appealing.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Fast walking to the train is exercise - counted or not.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

Figure out how much time it will take in your day and week to:
  • Plan your meals.
  • Shop for the food you'll need.
  • Prepare your meals.
  • Sit down and eat your meals slowly.
  • Exercise.
  • Complete and check off the tasks on your daily to-do lists.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 98.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #69  
Green Tomatoes

Quick post today to get my day moving. It seems inclined to be a sluggish sort of day and I'd prefer that it have a little more energy.

Also, I'm ready to commit to at least two salads a day. I didn't get any yesterday and that clearly doesn't work well for me.

Weigh-in: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +40, 305/1100 minutes for May
Old 05-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #70  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Have had a good week, foodwise for 90% of the meals. Tonight I made homemade pizza (1/2 of dough was pizza and half was flatbread) ... I ate within reason. I did not add in a salad - I had a very large one at lunch and didn't want an add'l one. It's going to be in the 90s on my trip, so need to keep hydrated - will be a lot of walking and activity at times, other times just handling issues in one room. Countdown is 13 days until I'm back home.

I've been hearing from former coworkers and current peers this week as a feature on me was written in one of my business' national publications. Nice to reconnect (as a non-Facebooker). I told DH that on the next trips, I want him to take a few pics of me- I take him and we take a few of us - but NONE of just me. I'm not a big photo person, but do want a couple.

Will zip out to Kohls in the morning for a couple of inexpensive "polo" type shirts to wear - I got the listing of what we have to wear on what days and there are a few days of white polos and mine are way too see through. They were given to us but I don't want to wear those. Under a jacket - fine. But with the heat, that won't be happening.

Happy Mother's Day weekend to mothers, those who love mothers and those who mother others
Old 05-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #71  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Yay! I'm not full!

Coaches

Quick before bed phone check in.

Was on plan 100% today. I just went with it and it happened. Credit.

I have everything I need for the market in the morning. There's at least 3 bins of things missing but I have enough. My market partner isn't coming tomorrow so I am doing a scaled down display. That's fine with me as it's going to be cold (5C start) and maybe rainy (40% pop).

Wish me luck!

Scale: 269.5
Old 05-12-2018, 05:04 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - World Migratory Bird Day (Since 1993, Thousands of miles)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Yay for sunshine. We did dinner on the patio for the first time this year. The yard just suddenly, like in a week, went from winter gloom to vibrant spring fresh. Like everything got together and choose to just go for it. Admittedly, both of us wore something over our cotton shirts - but it was outside!

Not much happened. We got off a letter to a lawyer. As happens, our wills and "estate planning" are a full cycle of federal and state laws behind. Everything needs to be updated. The sobering thought is that all the effort is to allow us to depart early; the "estate" in question is that which is saved up to pay the bills as we age through retirement. I do not enjoy the discussion of the various combinations of who predeceases whom.

onebyone – Happy Market Day - hope the urge to buy is in the air.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – "Sluggish" days happen. I just had one, too - but I like your name better.

nationalparker – Congrats for thinking through your wardrobe for the whole of your trip. And Congrats on being featured in your business mag; hope they wrote thoughtful stuff.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

When Ben, a single guy in his mid-20s, reviewed his daily routine, he recognized that he'd have to make some changes to fit all these things into his schedule. He usually skipped breakfast and frequently snacked instead of eating a healthful lunch. Then he'd grab fast food for dinner. He thought about what he'd have to do to follow his diet and wrote the schedule on the facing page in his diet notebook.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 98.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Dear Coaches,

Already this Saturday I have been able to catch up. That happens when you wake up at 4 a.m.
But Laundry is almost through, dishwasher emptied, and various blankets folded away. What a week! I hope is was a singleton. I couldn't go through two of them twice with evens every morning, noon ,and night.

I think of Beck's "Food plans take time." That is true. I have not gone way off the tracks but eating is messy which makes the scale stuck. cause and effect. I spent 20 minutes figuring out today and putting it into the ap. Once I do that, tomorrow is easy because there is a copy function for my repeat foods. So Credit for taking the time to get back to disciplined. Also credit for planning to take the time to drive up to the mountains just for the evening. That gives me a good evening hike and a good morning hike which I desperately need to get ready for Whitney.

Children's books are going well but I realize it won't last until senior finals. I decided their final project will be a retrospective of years in River Vally. I need to figure a way digitally to do this. I think I will use google slides. Plan is to make one of my own this weekend. I can't believe how much this creative writing class has forced me to grow in so many areas. I am glad I have another one next year just to keep up with the process.

Nationalparker: I totally can understand the feeling of wanting to be home. And those white polos are the worst!I have a flesh spanx I use but I order it on line.

gardenerjoy: two salads sounds good to me but tright now I keep resisting. I'l settle for riced broccoli for one meal and roasted cauliflower for another.

wave to all
Old 05-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #74  
Green Tomatoes

Today's my birthday. I had a whole plot of how to get myself a slice of cake, but I'm not going to implement it. Cake will just make me feel miserable tonight. I refuse to celebrate my birthday with something that will make me miserable even if a part of my brain thinks I'm entitled to it. Strawberries will be a better treat. Maybe I can rewire my brain to expect strawberries on my birthday.

I met my goal of two salads, yesterday, and I've got a plan for two more today.

Weigh-in: NA, Exercise: +25, 330/1100 minutes for May
Old 05-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #75  
in development

Have just picked up my new prescription lenses. I can see more clearly! I hope they help my tired eyes. Had a fairly terrible salad in the peaceful upstairs room of an ancient pub. The SO had a good looking pie and chips plus overcooked veg. I think it's probably worth sticking with the place, just for the ambience, and I'll have another go at the menu. I think it would be fairly easy to tweak with the assistance of the barmaid.

Re white polo shirts etc. I gather from my "lingerie consultant" that red does not show through white. Strange but true - and worth knowing.

Will now get changed and go and put in some sweet peas.

Happy birthday to gardenerjoy!

Have a lovely time in the mountains, maryann!

Bill, sending you good vibes about wills and estate planning. Good things to get straight though. People around me are in the thick of it just now. It's amazing to me how differently different families approach all of this. I shouldn't really be surprised.

onebyone, hope the farmers' market is going well and the money is rolling in.
Closed Thread