Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 02:43 AM   #121  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A good day in the garden yesterday. I've finally managed to cut the grass. So many dandelions this year!

Food OK over the past few days although certainly not at losing weight levels.

Beth, keep on walking!

maryann, I think nibbling is one of my problems too.

nationalparker, keep emphasising the credits. Don't bother with demerits. You'll soon be home.

Bill, gardenerjoy, had been wondering why you were discussing elderflower and now I know! The elder is in full, foamy bloom here. Elderflowers are great for cordial (my mother's favourite summer drink) and wine. Hats are de rigueur for a church wedding here. Definitely not just a aristo/toff thing. Fascinators have become fashionable in recent years too.

Must go or I'll be late for meeting with trainer who is going to help me out with terribly cronky body. Realised recently that top athletes have massage every day to keep in top condition. Probably need that myself.

Last edited by silverbirch; 05-21-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Charles Lindbergh lands in Paris after first crossing of the Atlantic (1927)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I avoided some of the snacking at noon by taking myself away from where the food was being consumed, CREDIT moi. Naturally, I beat myself up for not being able to stand next to a table of handmade brownies and ignore them. 'Flight' seems like an OK choice from the 'Flight or Fight' dichotomy even if it causes disturbance in my testosterone-soaked brain.

It did rain in the afternoon preventing much getting about. A friend brought over a new fern for DW; it always catches me by surprise how much joy surrounds a new plant coming into the yard. It had been dug up from a place where it wasn't wanted; our yard is where native plants are brought to be among friends.

silverbirch – A massage every day sounds good to me. [I asked DW why I'd never seen her in a Fascinator. She pointed out, since perhaps I'd not noticed, that she doesn't own any dress hats - hadn't since high school. She has a closet full of gardening hats and outdoor hats. It's a good thing that we didn't get an invite.]

maryann - Yay for recognizing the eating habits of your DS as a model.

nationalparker – Kudos for seeing "loud, aggressive and obnoxious; bluster and gripe" for what it is and not getting sucked in.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats for finishing your outdoor sofa. The Fourth of July seems like eternity into the future.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

Reducing Your Activities

Here is how one dieter, Lisa, found a way to make time for weight loss in her life.

Lisa's Daily Activities
  • Work: 8+ hours a day
  • Being a mom (play with Hillary, read Books to her, follow bedtime routine): 3 to 4 hours a day
  • Household management (cooking, cleaning, bill paying): 1 to 2 hours a day
  • Exercise or walk: 20 minutes a day
  • Watch TV: 1 hour a day
  • E-mail and surf the internet: 1 hour a day
  • Talk on the phone: half hour a day
  • Volunteer with nonprofit group: 2 hours, twice a week
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 102.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches. Yeah! 6 hours sleep. I am thankful for it. It gives me extra time for prayer and meditation and even reading my cheesy mystery novel.

I have been OP 3 days straight, recorded food and exercise. Credits. The meds are having some side effects however that are preventing any downward motion on the scale. Oh Well. My job is to stay OP. I will have another fully planned day and take a long walk this evening. As Beck said, at any given point my weight is exactly what it is supposed to be.

I was cracking up at BBE's excerpt today. 1 -2 hours to cook and clean. That must be in a 200 square foot apartment serving Cup o Noodles for dinner.

DS and I basically camped out at the Community College to get a much needed Spanish class. The counselors took pity on us at 6:30 am and let us in to wait. We were first in a line that would end up out the door. I told DS this is what we use to do for concert tixs before Tix Master.

We snagged the class and I took him as a treat to a fancy movie house to see Infinity Wars - as very teen movie. Afterward lunch and I bought to very becoming work items. All in all, a good day.

Silverbirch:Sent DH to get a massage.I believe in them as well.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #124  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

The three busiest days and the end is in sight. Working with TV folks now on site for three days and it amps up so, so much. A later start this morning enabling me to catch up with regular work/email. Food continues to just not be good and I am completely doing it as a comfort. Last year I did much better - coming home only up a couple of pounds and that was mainly because it was off my FMD plan - added in wheat, sugar, caffeine, etc. Now it's because I made consistently poor choices with snacks especially. I am thinking, well, I didn't eat xx number of extra calories - but I realized that I'm not a specific number of calories/pound gained since that never seemed valid and my body is not just raising a gram of water 1C - it's sitting much of the day just existing. SO I fully expect to come home much heavier, fearing 7+ pounds, some of which might drop quickly. Others will hang on. Anyway ...as Bill said, I'll be home at some point and will regroup. I'm thankful I'm back on the weekend to start fresh and healthy and hopefully active. But it is weighing on my mind.

Credit from yesterday - fresh cinnamon rolls = 0 eaten. Fresh apple fritters packaged separately for easy taking = 0. That's about it. I ate TWO BAGS of potato chips - so, so not needed. I heard the crunching around me and thought, wow, I never get jalapeno chips. Mmmmm... OK. Just today. Then later took another bag of plain chips just because they were there with the dinners.

Whenever I've been heavy before, I've still been proportionally "ok" in my mind - big on top, smaller waist, bigger hips/thighs. Now I feel like the Michelin man. And pretty much look like him as well. I'm feeling like this is the new me and I fear it's here to stay. Voicing my fears and need to take action sooner rather than later.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #125  
Green Tomatoes

My memory of losing weight with Beck is that what really worked for me was making rules for myself. As maryann points out, rules aren't restrictive like I'd expect, they are liberating--freeing me from my own worst instincts and replacing them with behaviors that work well for me and my life.

I'm frustrated that it's not working for me, now. I've made the rules, but I'm not following them with the same consistency that I managed before. What I realized this morning is that I was doing a whole lot of other things, too. One of those was keeping an Advantages list and I think that might really help me now.

Here are my first two Advantages:
  • When I eat better, I feel better.
  • When I eat better, I sleep better.

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +40, 660/1100 minutes for May

nationalparker: I'm also fretting that this is my new normal, as good as it gets. Which is why my first two Advantages aren't about future benefits for weight loss; they are about about how better eating helps me right now. I'm not feeling confident about future advantages, but I know that I can feel better right now.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #126  
Enjoying la bella vita

GardenerJoy - I want to use those as well and the mentally feeling better is my main push - there was no sense of "this isn't right" on my FMD plan - it was generous and no guilt
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 AM   #127  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

gardenerjoy: You are exactly right--focusing on feeling better and sleeping better makes a lot of sense.

I'm using mobility improvements as a motivator--I wouldn't be able to do the woodworking I've been doing if I hadn't lost weight--I would have found it too hard to get up and down from the garage floor. Perhaps that would help motivate the exercise? More exercise->Better mobility->More fun in workshop

I've got the yawns, so I'm heading to bed

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 05-22-2018, 04:12 AM   #128  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default From phone in sunshine

Good session with trainer/fixer yesterday so I feel there is hope for the old body again. Phew. Off for a walk with an old friend in a moment. We'll go round the grounds of a Victorian castle and have a terrible cup of coffee. Yesterday evening and this morning were pretty busy so I didn't manage to make any lunch for myself. I just have enough time to get to the health food shop which may have made sandwiches. Otherwise I'll be walking into trouble. Bye!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - The Lewis and Clark Expedition departs from St. Charles, Missouri (1804)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – One of the joys of brick and mortar book stores is when local authors introduce their books. Last night we listened to Robert Thorson ("Thor") read from The Guide to Walden Pond: An Exploration of the History, Nature, Landscape, and Literature of One of America’s Most Iconic Places. One would think that there would be dozens of guides to Walden; there aren't - this is the first one. When you make it to Walden, this is the book to take with you.

Eating was OK. It was warm enough to enjoy dinner on the patio. DW's gardening is looking fresh and cheerful. She spent the day finding places to put her purchases from a sale of native wildflowers. I have no idea how space can be found in an already full garden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Gotta remember, "When I eat better, I feel better."

silverbirch – Hope it's a splendid walk in that Victorian Castle.

maryann - Kudos, indeed, for three days on plan. LOL at "200 square foot apartment serving Cup o Noodles for dinner" - perhaps the good Dr. Beck has help running her household.

nationalparker – Yay for "the end is in sight." Super Kudos for avoiding those cinnamon buns and apple fritters.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Great Advantage, "More exercise->Better mobility->More fun in workshop."

Readers -
Quote:

Reducing Your Activities

Once Lisa divided her activities into these broad categories, she could more easily see the advantage of temporarily cutting back on her volunteer work and TV viewing to make time for weight loss. When she explained to her husband why she needed to make extra time in her schedule, he was more willing (with some initial grumbling that she had to ignore) to take over some specific household chores. Lisa also decided to forgo a weekly manicure to free up some time and money to pay a cleaning service to tend to the house every other week.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 103.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! i'm determined to post today, I keep running out of time in the morning.
My leg has been killing me again- I am getting a massage tomorrow and trying a chiropractor friday. I think i'm walking wierdly and the PT isn't addressing this.
Went to bed slightly hungry, haven't weighed m yself yet.
Like gardenerjoy, i have managed 2 salads a day for two days. It does help fill you up at dinner!
Over the weekend I went on a house tour and felt a pang of sadness- DH would have loved to see them, especially a really old house that's being restored.
Today's eating challenge is a lunch outing with some elders which will be really fun. I am determined to bring some home for dinner.
Bill- thanks for mentioning the book. It's been years since i've been to Walden pond, its on my to do list to go again.
Silverbirch- so much to explore in your area, lucky you!
Nationalparker- hang in there! you have lost the weight before, you'll do it again! lots of challenges you're facing, glad you'll be home son.
Beth- i'm enjohying reading about your projects and am very impressed!
Maryann- sounds like a lovely outing with your son. yikes on waiting on line for college classes.

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-22-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #131  
Green Tomatoes

I did a bit better yesterday, keeping in mind that what I eat now impacts how I feel in the next 24 hours, including how I sleep.

Yesterday's activities included sitting from 5:30pm until after 9pm to witness a school board meeting. I should get bolder and just stand up sometimes! Maybe other people would, too, because that isn't healthy for any of us.

Today, I want to get to the Missouri Botanical Garden to see the peonies. And, be more active!

Weigh-in: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +50, 710/1100 minutes for May
Old 05-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #132  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

After a slight gain last week, I was down 2 lbs today at my official weigh-in. Slow loss (1.4 over 2 weeks) but it's not a gain, so that's a Good Thing.

Today is DD's birthday, so we went out to dinner with my aunt, her son, his wife, and one of their kids. It was a lovely dinner. At my class tonight, people asked if I'd decided what I was going to order. I hadn't and it took me a while to figure out what I wanted. But I ordered the chicken piccata without the pasta side :-). When we went out for gelato afterwards, I didn't have any.

However, it wasn't all easy at all. I desperately wanted a piece of bread--I love bread at Italian restaurants. I was afraid, though, that I wouldn't have a bite--I'd have an entire one. Or more. And I'd be letting my giving-in muscle get too much use. So, I did refrain--but it was a challenge, and even after I decided I wasn't going to have any bread, I had to re-decide. When I finished eating my chicken (which I didn't eat all of) I still wanted a bite of bread. I didn't have one. But I had to decide all over again.

The gelato was a challenge, too--the flavors looked good, everyone had one but me, and I wanted to taste all of them. I'm really afraid of the slippery slope--and my resistance muscle got a good workout.

I wish I didn't want stuff that isn't on plan! Starting to eat again is hard. Tomorrow I'll have all product and it'll be a lot less stress!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #133  
Enjoying la bella vita

ONE MORE DAY. I'm so relieved. Yesterday dive-bombed into a really rough day - a very long one, ending after 1 a.m. and back up at 4:30 this morning - so I couldn't rest my mind to fall asleep. Just finished up tonight and getting ready to shut down and go to bed. This has been a long run. I gave up trying to keep up with issues, etc. I'll try to recollect and wrap that up next week.

Talked to DH yesterday and said if he wanted to get his DGS, let's aim for Saturday. I just want some serious sleep before then.

One plus - I'm working with a group of about eight students at this event and they really lift me up. They're seeking me out to fill me in on things they're planning to do, to make sure that they'll see me again before I head out (they're working staggered shifts with me), etc. It makes me remember my days working on campus . One girl came in this morning with a funny gif and said she saw it and thought of her and I with it. I'm feeling like mom mode here Those experiences need to supplant the negative. THIS is the positive in my day.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Carolus Linnaeus born: created system of genera and species (1707,Sweden)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made it to a daytime lecture about the changes in the way art has been collected over the past 50 years. The good news is that if you're interested in a Hudson River School painting, the prices have not skyrocketed like the prices of modern art. If you want a Jackson Pollock, be prepared to turn over your grandfather's trust fund. Neat to discover that museums are open during daylight hours on weekdays - a privilege for those not properly employed.

Eating was OK even though we were out of peaches to go with breakfast cereal. We're a bit uneven getting the season underway with fresh fruit, through no fault of the farmers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Three and a half hours at a school board meeting is true dedication.

nationalparker – Yay for "ONE MORE DAY" with Kudos for your persistence. Neat that you're the 'mom' for the college kids.

curlyjax - Kudos for getting the massage and planning for a chiropractor to get the body working right.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yep, "not a gain" is a win. Happy Birthday to your DD. Super Kudos for avoiding the gelato.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
If you have difficulty devising or implementing the necessary changes in your schedule, you might have some preconceived ideas that are getting in your way.

Ann, for example, has a rule: I shouldn't do anything that inconveniences others. Therefore, she didn't even think of asking her husband to take over the grocery shopping, her mother to watch the kids so Ann could go to her support group, or her best friend to work with her on a community project.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 105.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

My entire being is focused on finishing school, helping DH with the farm business and chauffeuring DS. I have free floating anxiety with the students which is killing me because the hallmark of my teaching career has always been my easy going style. The seniors did request a game of Duck, Duck Goose of which I became the goose and went down on my newly fixed shoulder. They were all very concerned. I believe this kind of game-teambuilding is critical, especially at this age. (The falling don part is not critical). We play volley ball with a beachball in class and the teams have to have their own clap. They love it.

I don't know. I am doing the right thing, I am just feeling caved in and terrified inside. The hope is to make it through the year, find a med adjustment and then retire in two Christmases at the top of my game.

Advantage card: Credit for showing up and eating OP no matter what I feel inside. As Beck says, two minutes after going off plan I will feel worse. So I will treat myself kindly and continue on plan.

Food was fair. There is a particular treat i bought with four flavors to pass out as prizes. If I eat one today, I am giving the whole box away. Zero tolerance.

Wave to all.
Closed Thread